PDA

View Full Version : Hail Damage Questions/Concerns

b.rock1
08-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Hey guys,

Daily creeper but rare poster looking for some input. Unfortunately my 2014 Mazda Sport GS took a real beating during the August 4th hailstorm (I live right off 17th ave which got hit quite hard).

The hood, roof, left front fender, both left door panels, left rear fender, spoiler and hatch were all extensively damaged (no paint damage at all, just dime to quarter sized dings). The right front fender also has a few dings. The right door panels and right rear fender are fine. No windows were broken. I would post pics but it is honestly really hard to visualize the damage in natural light.

I have insurance with the Co-Operators, who have been actually quite pleasant and quick to deal with throughout the last couple of weeks. Today I went to A1 Auto body to have the appraiser estimate the damage/cost to repair. Everyone at the shop was also very pleasant, including the appraiser. Appraisal really only took 15 minutes, after which I spoke with the appraiser regarding the necessary repairs.

He estimated the repairs would be between 10-15k, using a combination of PDR and panel replacement (this would also including replacing a number of mouldings/chrome trim pieces that were damaged). I was also surprised to hear they would be replacing the roof by removing it (something to do with drilling out spot welds). He mentioned there was also a reasonable chance the car would be a write-off/total loss.

The official estimate arrived in my email a couple hours ago, stating a total repair cost of $12,254. I was honestly hoping the damage would either be significantly less than that/not involve as extensive a repair (roof replacement, etc.), or that the car would be a write-off. I'm now concerned with the future resale value of car and having such extensive repairs on such a new vehicle. I'm obviously going to take a hit when I sell the car in the future and I am worried that it will never be quite the same again given the large repairs required (paint color, rust concerns with replacing/cutting out roof, rattles, etc.). I feel like I am now pidgeon-holed into having the car fixed, accepting it will have a much lower value, and thus will have to drive it into the ground/hang on to it for a long time.

I know my options are
1) have car repaired at A1 Auto Body
2) have estimate elsewhere/repair elsewhere (insurance said I could pick)
3) take cash payout (not sure how much $$ it would be) and don't get car repaired
4) cancel claim, don't take cash and don't have repair done

I'm looking for input and what I should do going forward. Would it be ridiculous to take cash payout, sell car at hail damage discount and then move on? Alternatively I could have the car repaired and try to sell it immediately?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post!

lilmira
08-24-2015, 06:28 PM
Take it to another PDR shop with your estimate and see what they say. Replacing the roof sounds kinda crazy unless that's not part of the frame. A-1 is an higher volume shop, it wouldn't be my first choice but I'm picky. If you are so inclined to keeping the cash and you can live with the car, why not? Definitely claim insurance though, that's why you are paying money for. Resell value? PDR doesn't show on the report I'm told so if someone can repair it back to the condition before, you are good. There isn't much to worry about at this point, what's done is done. Just try to get the most out of the situation. The dents on mine are pretty subtle mostly. You have to look twice or more to start noticing and my estimate is just under 6000 so I believe anything worse than mine can easily get above 10k.

b.rock1
08-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Take it to another PDR shop with your estimate and see what they say. Replacing the roof sounds kinda crazy unless that's not part of the frame. A-1 is an higher volume shop, it wouldn't be my first choice but I'm picky. If you are so inclined to keeping the cash and you can live with the car, why not? Definitely claim insurance though, that's why you are paying money for. Resell value? PDR doesn't show on the report I'm told so if someone can repair it back to the condition before, you are good. There isn't much to worry about at this point, what's done is done. Just try to get the most out of the situation. The dents on mine are pretty subtle mostly. You have to look twice or more to start noticing and my estimate is just under 6000 so I believe anything worse than mine can easily get above 10k.

Would you recommend any other shops to go have the estimate (and potentially also the repair) performed at?

That's great if PDR doesn't show on a report but I would assume a cut out and replaced roof/replaced panels and hatch would. The idea of cutting out the top of the roof and replacing it seems pretty sketchy also.

I am toying with the idea of taking the cash payout (can I even do that if the car isn't a total loss) and then trying to live with a badly dinged car - good chance it would drive me nuts though.

Crazyjoker77
08-24-2015, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by b.rock1

Would you recommend any other shops to go have the estimate (and potentially also the repair) performed at?

That's great if PDR doesn't show on a report but I would assume a cut out and replaced roof/replaced panels and hatch would. The idea of cutting out the top of the roof and replacing it seems pretty sketchy also.

I am toying with the idea of taking the cash payout (can I even do that if the car isn't a total loss) and then trying to live with a badly dinged car - good chance it would drive me nuts though.

I know smaller PDR jobs won't show up but I would guess that the thousand(s) dollar repairs will.

You can always take a payout but its pretty standard that it will only be 80% -deductible and you won't ever be able to claim hail damage on the car again.

lilmira
08-24-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm told that any repair that requires new paint will show up on the report. I already booked my repair at DNT. I had some door dings removed by them before. It's a smaller shop so hopefully they retain a good team of techs. Eco dentworks has good reviews too. Good luck.

TomcoPDR
08-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Having a hail CLAIMED, does show in reports. It doesn't matter if it's 100% conventional (bodyshop), 100% Pdr, a combo of both. I've bought brand new dealership hail sale vehicle (dealership took a payout from their commercial insurance, some were nice enough to discount the entire payout against msrp, just cause I'm me; even that, brand new hail damaged not fixed will show in carproof; which I have proof of 5 I've had direct experience with between me and co workers and friends buying those)

If u take a payout (retail payout)... Say repairs are estimated at $12,000. You're not going to get that full amount. Therefore, should u decide to fix it at a later date, you most likely won't find any professionals who'll fix it for that lessened amount.. There's no reason for them to, when insurance already approved a proper $12k amount for them to fix it properly. Down side with taking a payout too is, pending on specific insurance co. You might not be able to get further comphensive coverage, not just hail coverage. The bases of that is (again pending on insurance)... At a $12,000 estimate, I probably know all your top panels (hood, roof, trunk) are replacement. So by signing off on taking a payout, there are insurance I've heard, you won't cover those panels should you be in future front/rear collisions, or prorape/prorate it. (So say u took hail payout; with estimated replace hood, roof, trunk), if u get rear ended in future. I know some insurance claims adjusters telling me this directly, they've already gave u money for the trunk... So they'll repair/replace ur rear bumper, tail lamps, frame work, etc.

If u take a payout and sell it... It'd have to be a really decent deal for someone picking it up. Again which is from what I've noticed off Kijiji "hail damaged vehicles" really hard to do, again since ur payout won't be $12,000 actual repair cost. So the percentage of ur payout, even if u apply it to market value of the condition if ur vehicle, IMHO, might not entice much buyers who'll be willing to just pay the extra $5,000-8,000 for a non hail damaged of your vehicle.

Def an annoying choice, no doubt about it.

Zhao Kan
08-24-2015, 08:03 PM
A roof is designed to be replaced by reskinning it. It is labour intensive, but not a hard job for a bodyman. You're looking at something like 15 hours labour to do a job like that on an average Japanese car. You'll also get a new windshield in the process most likely. That is because the back glass and the front glass must be removed to do the job, and unless your front glass is mint, odds are it'll break coming out from one of the many rockchips you likely have in it. if your windshield has a crack, guaranteed windshield replacement by having the roof reskinned. Insurance should be paying for the windshield regardless if you have a 13D (glass coverage delete) on your policy or not.

There is nothing sketchy about that job either unless you take it to a sketchy shop. On new cars you're seeing more and more panel replacements rather then fixes because more and more manufacturers are getting away from basic metals and are using more exotic materials.

Honda for example uses high strength steel on every single panel of all their cars (and a lot of other Japanese manufacturers rely heavily on HSS), so gone are the days of repairing Honda panels with even minor damage. The Germans use a mix of aluminum and high strength steel and there doesn't seem to be any consistency from the manufacturer. Audi who used to be married to aluminum seems to have gone back to using mostly mild steel, especially on their lower end vehicles like the A4. Some mercs are almost entirely aluminum on the outside, while others are almost entirely HSS. BMW even likes to use plastic for the fenders on a lot of their vehicles.

This is basically what your roof consists of:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2487/5707394697_0bfd64b65e_b.jpg

Also any repair that goes through insurance should show up on carfax. Insurance in Alberta is who reports to those guys, and from my understanding they report claims period, and do not omit stuff because it was fixed X way instead of Y way.

If they write it off, imo, bonus. You can hopefully buy it back from insurance for pennies on the dollar, or if they refuse you that option, you are allowed to bid on your car, and your car only at Adesa or wherever it ends up for salvage auction in Calgary. They will give you a one time account to do so.

schocker
08-24-2015, 08:30 PM
ehhh, not too excited now to take my car tomorrow to country hills for my assessment for my first insurance claim :rofl:

b.rock1
08-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the constructive replies guys. I'm at least a little more at ease now knowing that roof repairs are more commonplace than I thought. It definitely sounds like taking the payout is not the wisest option at this point, particularly if I can't get reimbursed for damage to the same panels again in the future. At this point I'm not interested enough in the payout to bother calling them to find out the stipulations.

I think at this point I'll just let A1 Auto Body do the repairs, but I will definitely talk to them and get the low-down on the entire procedure. They did say that my front windshield will be getting replaced along with the roof (presumably not the rear glass since it is a hatch and separate from the roof). Fingers crossed that everything works out in terms of pain matching and repairs.

Sigh, if only they could have written it off and allowed me to get a GTI a couple years earlier than planned :nut:

TomcoPDR
08-24-2015, 08:43 PM
What year/car is it?

b.rock1
08-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
What year/car is it?

It's a 2014 Mazda Sport GS ('Sport' = hatchback), 16,500 km on the odometer

TomcoPDR
08-24-2015, 11:23 PM

It's a 2014 Mazda Sport GS ('Sport' = hatchback), 16,500 km on the odometer

Kinda close to total loss... Sometimes the trick to it, if you find a bodyshop that's on a Direct Repair Program DRP with the same insurance. Maybe they'll have an estimate that'll make it to meet the total loss criteria.

b.rock1
08-25-2015, 08:17 AM

Kinda close to total loss... Sometimes the trick to it, if you find a bodyshop that's on a Direct Repair Program DRP with the same insurance. Maybe they'll have an estimate that'll make it to meet the total loss criteria.

Hmm. If another shop provides a second estimate that says it is a total loss, how does the insurance company pick which estimate is most accurate? I would assume they just ignore the total loss estimate and make me repair at at A1?

lilmira
08-25-2015, 08:43 AM
The adjuster will have to compare the two estimates and find out the reason for the difference then decide whether to approve for repair or write off. I don't think it will be far off.

Cos
08-25-2015, 08:48 AM

b.rock1
08-25-2015, 08:51 AM
The adjuster will have to compare the two estimates and find out the reason for the difference then decide whether to approve for repair or write off. I don't think it will be far off.

Ok cool. Googling revealed that Contemporary Coachworks is also a Direct Repair Program member for Co-Operators, so I'll set up an estimate there.

TomcoPDR
08-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Another option here, $12k paid out would probably net you a decent amount owing off the car.

If the repair estimate is $12k... I really can't see insurance will give a $12k payout.

b.rock1
08-25-2015, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Another option here, $12k paid out would probably net you a decent amount owing off the car. Take it in cash, drive a golf ball, and be debt free with a mechanically brand new car. We did that with my wifes albeit older cavalier for a few years.

This definitely crossed my mind but I would have to find out the constraints/stipulations from insurance before doing that. Don't want to hoop myself for future damage, etc. I think it would still be prudent to at least get one more estimate and then go from there.

Curious how much the actual cash payout would be...

lasimmon
08-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Further to this: I haven't got my official estimate of the damage yet, but the thought it was about $13,000.

My vehicle isn't worth that much. Chances are it will be write off correct?

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2015, 09:08 AM
A1 has more horror stories than probably any other big body shop in Calgary, I would avoid them at all costs. Sorry about your luck, the "not quite a write off" situation is the worst because you lose so much resale unless you just take the payout, don't fix it, and drive it into the ground. I would be doing everything I could to get it declared a total loss. Maybe go buy a ball-peen hammer? Just kidding ;)

Cos
08-25-2015, 09:08 AM

TomcoPDR
08-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Yeah it is slightly less but not by a lot. I believe worst case would be 80% or something so you're still talking $10k.

80% would be fantastic. Hmmm kinda sure most are 60-65% of repair value. Would be interesting if OP inquiry about what payout % is from his brand of insurance then.

?????
08-25-2015, 09:19 AM
You should definitely check what the payout is if you keep the car.
I was in your area and in the same situation as you but my car is older with more kms and has been involved in a bunch of previous accidents (hit and runs, people hitting me, previous hail damage).

They gave me a couple options since it was a total loss.

1. Insurance buyback (They keep the car) = Market value + GST - deductible
2. Cash payout (Keep the car and pay me 'x' amount) = Market value - Salvage Value - Deductible

I chose to give them the vehicle because the salvage value on my car was large enough that it would be hard to sell my car for more than that if i decided to keep it. Especially with the hail damage and history.

I carfaxed my car and every claim AND non insurance claim was recorded on there. Someone backed into my front bumper, they paid to fix the car and it still showed up. Maybe the body shops inserts the records too.

You should see what the payout would be. All depends on the salvage value.

b.rock1
08-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
A1 has more horror stories than probably any other big body shop in Calgary, I would avoid them at all costs. Sorry about your luck, the "not quite a write off" situation is the worst because you lose so much resale unless you just take the payout, don't fix it, and drive it into the ground. I would be doing everything I could to get it declared a total loss. Maybe go buy a ball-peen hammer? Just kidding ;)

Weird, Google reviews of A1 seem pretty decent - but I'd take a beyonders word/word of mouth over internet reviews anyways.

b.rock1
08-25-2015, 09:21 AM

80% would be fantastic. Hmmm kinda sure most are 60-65% of repair value. Would be interesting if OP inquiry about what payout % is from his brand of insurance then.

Yeah I'll be in touch with my adjuster (in Ontario at Co-Operators HQ) and I'll find out what % the payout is/how much I might actually get.

TomcoPDR
08-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Yeah it is slightly less but not by a lot. I believe worst case would be 80%.

Dang it's possible. Texted someone. There're cases of 80% or higher for payouts

Cos
08-25-2015, 10:37 AM

msommers
08-25-2015, 10:48 AM
How does the insurance work on a brand new vehicle that's suffered hail damage? A clause stating you can't ever claim hail damage in the future? Is there a reduced rate you pay then?

If you don't care about aesthetics it could be a sweet deal.

Sorry kinda off topic

Cos
08-25-2015, 11:03 AM

schocker
08-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Weird, Google reviews of A1 seem pretty decent - but I'd take a beyonders word/word of mouth over internet reviews anyways.
Is it performed by A1 though? I just got back from my assessment, and it was CSI who would do the work and they would just use space at country hills. I think A1 was the south assessment shop?

My car is looking like a new hood/roof/trunk. Comeonnnnnn write off :rofl:

edit: boooooooo, $10k they are going to repair it or cut me a cheque.

b.rock1
08-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Is it performed by A1 though? I just got back from my assessment, and it was CSI who would do the work and they would just use space at country hills. I think A1 was the south assessment shop?

My car is looking like a new hood/roof/trunk. Comeonnnnnn write off :rofl:

edit: boooooooo, $10k they are going to repair it or cut me a cheque.

Oh weird - no A1 is the shop actually doing the work if I so choose. Damn, but your car is worth a good bit more so even though 10k is a lot I imagine it isn't quite close to write-off damage.

My adjuster has gone mysteriously absent since I sent her an e-mail requesting to speak to her re: cheque payout amount/getting another estimate.

schocker
08-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Oh weird - no A1 is the shop actually doing the work if I so choose. Damn, but your car is worth a good bit more so even though 10k is a lot I imagine it isn't quite close to write-off damage.

My adjuster has gone mysteriously absent since I sent her an e-mail requesting to speak to her re: cheque payout amount/getting another estimate.
Must be the different companies then. I will have to check if the body work is performed by country hills as it isn't on the aviva approved vendor list to begin with :nut:
It is only worth like $20k from checking kijiji. I think aviva really likes to repair cars from other peoples claims I have heard. :rofl: Mine includes new trunk/hood/roof so I don't know if a place like ECO could do that work now anyways.

relyt92
08-25-2015, 07:53 PM
I know with a big storm a few years ago I was able to get 100% of the estimate minus my deductible. I don't know if it was different being a 5k claim though?

schocker
08-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by relyt92
I know with a big storm a few years ago I was able to get 100% of the estimate minus my deductible. I don't know if it was different being a 5k claim though?
I was offered 100% minus my $250.

b.rock1
08-26-2015, 02:15 PM

I was offered 100% minus my $250.

Oh wow, I'll definitely be tempted with that offer if my adjuster ever decides to return my calls or emails. Definitely a busy time for them, although she was very easy to get a hold of prior to expressing my concern with the large $ size of the estimate/my desire to get a 2nd estimate.

schocker
08-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Oh wow, I'll definitely be tempted with that offer if my adjuster ever decides to return my calls or emails. Definitely a busy time for them, although she was very easy to get a hold of prior to expressing my concern with the large $ size of the estimate/my desire to get a 2nd estimate.
Yeah, it is tempting. If I could find someone to buy it for like $12k then I would take the payout but I think that might be difficult to sell for that. Got the quote and it is a non-oem hood and a recycled trunk also which is not thrilling

Xtrema
08-26-2015, 03:31 PM
Is there a provision in most insurance for new car that if deemed total loss, you get a new model of the same car?

IE, if OP's car is worth $15K and the repar is $12K, isn't that a total loss and he can ask for a new 2016 Mazda 3 GS?

ExtraSlow
08-26-2015, 03:45 PM
You can get that option as an addition to you policy, at an additional cost.
With TDMM it's called "replacement cost solution" or something. It's not super cheap.

lilmira
08-26-2015, 03:49 PM
43R? They pay you the full value. It's only good for 24 month I think. For repair, they'll use OEM parts for any replacement.

guessboi
08-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Replacement cost ranges from 24 or 30 and 60 months for most companies like TD, Aviva, Intact, etc.

ExtraSlow
08-26-2015, 06:09 PM
The replacement cost endorsement (maybe 43R, I don't recall) that I had on my wife van was available for 60 months I think. Cost went up every year as the difference between the value of the van and the value of a brand new van got larger.

Haven't made any claims on that vehicle, probably the only one I ever owned that didn't have a claim of some kind. Figures. :rolleyes:

Zhao Kan
08-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
Replacement cost ranges from 24 or 30 and 60 months for most companies like TD, Aviva, Intact, etc.

Depends on the insurance company and the policy wording though.

A 43R with TD for example is for 2 years, and a 43S with TD is 5 years. If your car is getting fixed these mean all new oem parts with TD, otherwise used parts (TD doesn't make a shop use aftermarket crap thankfully) will be used. All in all TD is a pretty good insurance company to be insured with, and other insurance companies may have similar things on their policy, but just because you have a 43 with another company doesn't mean you have the same wording or coverage. Also, even within the same company from province to province the meaning of their policies will change a lot for the details. Coop is another really good insurance company too IMO, but in other ways. If I didn't have an alumni discount that makes TD dirt cheap for me, I'd probably still be with coop. Peacehills I find easy to deal with too. But like I said 43's on policies from company to company are not all equal and you need to read the fine print to find out what they actually mean.

As far as 43 for replacing a total loss vehicle, know that there are some things that will disqualify this clause. Making too many claims may void this, or even getting too many tickets. It depends on the insurance company. Modifications can also void this clause.

Also, what most people do not know is most insurance companies will try to use aftermarket parts for everything and will only go OEM if there is no aftermarket part; some will do that even if the car is a year old. The more discount cut rate insurance companies will charge you betterment too on anything they can get away with. I just dealt with a Lincoln that the customer's insurance company was charging them betterment of hundreds of dollars on their muffler, because on a 2-3 year old vehicle apparently mufflers are already getting well into their life span lol... on an accident they weren't even at fault for. I guess muffler bearings wear out after a few years O_o, who knew.

b.rock1
08-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by guessboi

I'm assuming since my adjuster has never mentioned it/I don't recall paying extra for a 43R that I do not have it?

Just got back from Contemporary Coachworks. The appointment was a bit of a fiasco from start to finish but essentially they REFUSED to give me an estimate, saying that they had to go by whatever the Co-Operators estimate initially was (since it was performed by a Co-Operators estimator person).

Basically said yeah we can't estimate for you but we can use the estimate you already have and adjust it during the process if it costs more.

This really blows as it completely locks me in to their estimate (especially if they fudged some numbers to keep it from being a total loss). And then say I have work performed and the total cost is $15k, rather than the $12k estimate, I could have just had the damn car written off.

schocker
08-27-2015, 11:55 AM
^^^That is stupid. You would think they could just do an estimate as if you wanted the payout?

I think I am going to get a quote from maranellos and see what they can do if maybe OEM parts instead. My fixing option was they send a cheque for the insurance estimate to a shop of my choice. Do you have the same option?

b.rock1
08-27-2015, 12:06 PM
^^^That is stupid. You would think they could just do an estimate as if you wanted the payout?

I think I am going to get a quote from maranellos and see what they can do if maybe OEM parts instead. My fixing option was they send a cheque for the insurance estimate to a shop of my choice. Do you have the same option?

Just got off the phone with another lovely lady at Co-Operators. My cash settlement option is actually 100% of estimate minus deductible, so about $12,000.

She looked over my estimate and said her file actually shows 'Total Loss: Yes' but then she also had information in there saying I was going to have it repaired at A1. She is going to contact the Co-Operators estimator and then get back to me. Fingers crossed it is a loss - otherwise I will more than likely take the cheque for $12,000.

She said I would have to talk to A1 to see if they were using OEM or aftermarket parts.

lilmira
08-27-2015, 12:20 PM

That is the case for me. They are sending a cheque to DNT but the fund is held until I sign off on completion of the repair. I'll have to go through all the damage with them before the work starts. I want to make sure that they don't have any problem with the amount.

schocker
08-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Just got off the phone with another lovely lady at Co-Operators. My cash settlement option is actually 100% of estimate minus deductible, so about $12,000.

She looked over my estimate and said her file actually shows 'Total Loss: Yes' but then she also had information in there saying I was going to have it repaired at A1. She is going to contact the Co-Operators estimator and then get back to me. Fingers crossed it is a loss - otherwise I will more than likely take the cheque for $12,000.

She said I would have to talk to A1 to see if they were using OEM or aftermarket parts.
That would be good then, get rid of the car and the problem all at once! If they are replacing larger parts, probably non-oem parts. All my seals/gaskets/roof were Acura as no one else would make those. A1 should be able to provide a copy of the estimate to you and then you can tell from the descriptions.

That is the case for me. They are sending a cheque to DNT but the fund is held until I sign off on completion of the repair. I'll have to go through all the damage with them before the work starts. I want to make sure that they don't have any problem with the amount.
How extensive of work can DNT do? I would rather have it all PDRs as opposed to panels being replaced especially the roof.

lilmira
08-27-2015, 12:56 PM
How extensive of work can DNT do? I would rather have it all PDRs as opposed to panels being replaced especially the roof.

I think they only do PDR work. They may be able to take over the whole job and sub' out the portion that they can't do. The only replacement I need is a piece of chrome trim, I believe the rest can be fixed by PDR. I stopped by the shop and let them look at it quick and they didn't say "oh ewwww ahhh" I assume that they won't have any problem repairing it.

schocker
08-27-2015, 01:58 PM
^^^Ok Thanks. If PDR worked on all my panels, the only thing I really need is my door trim replaced. They just want to replace because so many dings.

b.rock1
08-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Not sure if this is a crazy idea, but would it make any sense to take the cash settlement of $12,000, pay off the ~15k I owe on the car and then sell the car for a hail-damage adjusted value?

Car of my year with similar km goes for between $17-19k. Might be able to pocket a couple thousand and at least be rid of the vehicle.

haggis88
08-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Not sure if this is a crazy idea, but would it make any sense to take the cash settlement of $12,000, pay off the ~15k I owe on the car and then sell the car for a hail-damage adjusted value?

Car of my year with similar km goes for between $17-19k. Might be able to pocket a couple thousand and at least be rid of the vehicle.

Not a crazy idea at all...but the payout will be a percentage, not the full amount, if you keep the car

some people aren't really bothered by hail damage

I was able to do this with my Acura last year...buyer didn't care about the hail damage and was happy saving a few thousand over the cost of buying a non-damaged one!

b.rock1
08-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by haggis88

Not a crazy idea at all...but the payout will be a percentage, not the full amount, if you keep the car

some people aren't really bothered by hail damage

I was able to do this with my Acura last year...buyer didn't care about the hail damage and was happy saving a few thousand over the cost of buying a non-damaged one!

That's the thing, already verified with insurance that the cash settlement is full estimate mine deductible, so $12,254 - 250. The only thing in my policy that changes is I am no longer eligible for hail coverage.

Cos
08-27-2015, 04:18 PM

b.rock1
08-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I don't think that is crazy. The only thing to check into though is what the insurance company would buy it off you for (if they will) as they might do it if they are planning to write it off. Even if you 'could' make 1-2k selling it privately. I don't think I'd bother unless it was 3k+. No way to guarantee a profit once you get kijiji bastards involved if your margin is only 1-2k.

Also, since the car seems brand new. Take $3k out of your bank account or just put 12k onto your 15k loan. You'll have it paid off in no time. Yes you'll still own a golfball but during the crazy summer hail storms, crazy shitty winter days, or even if you want to go to chinook mall and not worry about door dings, I'd totally rock it as a pretty kick ass 'beater'. A beater that is in that good of mechanical shape would be hilarious. Good on gas, will last forever. Say your spending $500 a month on payments, after a couple years alone of saving insurance and payments you can pick up a 10-12k fun car or bike.

Man I wish I could have no debt and a reliable beater. Summer car or summer bike FTW.

Yeah I definitely have it narrowed down to one of those two options: 1) take cash settlement and drive it around carefree for a few years or 2) take cash settlement, sell hail-damaged car and then pick up something new.

J.M.
08-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Take the settlement, pay car off and drive it for a few years!! If you ever decide to sell it down the road in a few years I could see you getting at least $5k for it, probably even more.

relyt92
08-27-2015, 09:43 PM

Car of my year with similar km goes for between $17-19k. Might be able to pocket a couple thousand and at least be rid of the vehicle. I did that on a smaller scale with one of my old cars. Bought the car for 6k, got 5k in hail damage the next summer which I pocketed $47xx, then sold the car for 3k due to hail damage a few months later. Or just take the 12k, pay off the car and then drive it for a few years not giving a shit if it gets scratched/scuffed or whatever then sell it later.

Zhao Kan
08-28-2015, 08:41 AM

I'm assuming since my adjuster has never mentioned it/I don't recall paying extra for a 43R that I do not have it?

Just got back from Contemporary Coachworks. The appointment was a bit of a fiasco from start to finish but essentially they REFUSED to give me an estimate, saying that they had to go by whatever the Co-Operators estimate initially was (since it was performed by a Co-Operators estimator person).

Basically said yeah we can't estimate for you but we can use the estimate you already have and adjust it during the process if it costs more.

This really blows as it completely locks me in to their estimate (especially if they fudged some numbers to keep it from being a total loss). And then say I have work performed and the total cost is $15k, rather than the $12k estimate, I could have just had the damn car written off.

That is normal. There is zero point in a shop doing their own estimate on a hail claim, as hail estimates done by a shop are completely worthless in the eyes of insurance companies. I’ve done probably about 30000 estimates in my life, and I think there have been maybe 2-3 estimates I’ve done for hail that insurance actually went by, and they were all insurance companies I never heard of before. It just doesn’t happen that a big insurance company will use a random shop’s hail estimate (they also will not use a shops estimate on a theft recovery), and it’s usually a colossal waste of time.

It would have been nice if the shop at least looked at the vehicle and the estimate you had to see if it made sense. At the very least I do that, and if the customer wants I’ll still do an estimate for comparison if I think they are booking in, but it's of zero value to the insurance company or my shop because we won't be using my estimate.

If you upload the estimate you have, and take pictures of the car, I can make sense of it if you want. I’ll tell you this though, 12g with a projection of more like 15g means the hail is real bad, especially on your car.

b.rock1
08-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Zhao Kan

That is normal. There is zero point in a shop doing their own estimate on a hail claim, as hail estimates done by a shop are completely worthless in the eyes of insurance companies. I’ve done probably about 30000 estimates in my life, and I think there have been maybe 2-3 estimates I’ve done for hail that insurance actually went by, and they were all insurance companies I never heard of before. It just doesn’t happen that a big insurance company will use a random shop’s hail estimate (they also will not use a shops estimate on a theft recovery), and it’s usually a colossal waste of time.

It would have been nice if the shop at least looked at the vehicle and the estimate you had to see if it made sense. At the very least I do that, and if the customer wants I’ll still do an estimate for comparison if I think they are booking in, but it's of zero value to the insurance company or my shop because we won't be using my estimate.

If you upload the estimate you have, and take pictures of the car, I can make sense of it if you want. I’ll tell you this though, 12g with a projection of more like 15g means the hail is real bad, especially on your car.

That makes sense I suppose, but like you said - would have been nice if the guy could have at least verified the initial estimate.

I'll be taking pics of the car tonight or tomorrow and I'll throw them up with the estimate.

lilmira
08-28-2015, 09:47 AM
That's my take as well. Just take the estimate to the shop. Here is the amount, here is the car, "can you do it?" "do you see any issues?" I don't have a lot of experience claiming insurance, of the three times that I did over the years (house and auto), I haven't had any problem with estimate being low. They may lowball you on write-off but there is no point to underestimate repairs.

lasimmon
08-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Whats the realistic worth of hail damage?

My 2008 ford escape limited fully loaded was written off. Trying to decide to take the full payout, or the lower amount and try and sell the car on Kijiji.

The amount to keep the car is $3100 less than the write off amount. Could I sell a $11,000 car for $5,000 with a ton of hail damage?

schocker
08-28-2015, 10:29 AM
That's my take as well. Just take the estimate to the shop. Here is the amount, here is the car, "can you do it?" "do you see any issues?" I don't have a lot of experience claiming insurance, of the three times that I did over the years (house and auto), I haven't had any problem with estimate being low. They may lowball you on write-off but there is no point to underestimate repairs.
See I was checking my quote and they were charing only $70/hr which seems quite low compared to quotes when I had by bumper refinished.

Originally posted by lasimmon

My 2008 ford escape limited fully loaded was written off. Trying to decide to take the full payout, or the lower amount and try and sell the car on Kijiji.

The amount to keep the car is $3100 less than the write off amount. Could I sell a $11,000 car for $5,000 with a ton of hail damage?
I would say so if otherwise the condition is still decent and depending how much hail damage ie no glass damage.

I am looking at the same now. I figure my car is worth $20-22, once it is repaired I would say only $17-19 maybe. I might as well take the $10k and then maybe take it to Eco/DNT and get some dings removed for maybe a few thousand and then just drive it a couple more years until it is easier to sell.

lilmira
08-28-2015, 10:52 AM

See I was checking my quote and they were charing only $70/hr which seems quite low compared to quotes when I had by bumper refinished.

I think both the shop guy and the adjuster were there when I got my estimate done. There is no reason for the shop to underestimate because if the repair is not done right, it's likely that the customer will be screaming and the shop will be on the hook for the fix again. What do I know about their rate if they are ok with it. I'll ask DNT the same thing when I go through the repair with them before the repair starts. I'll find out soon enough.

b.rock1
08-28-2015, 10:57 AM

I'm in the same spot right now. If my car is worth $17-19k (similar km, options, year) without hail damage, could I get $10-13k for it with unrepaired hail damage?

ExtraSlow
08-28-2015, 11:04 AM
It's not always about how much your car is worth is hail damage, but about how tough it'll be to unload at any price. There are some folks who would never buy a hail damaged car, regardless of price. So your market is actually much smaller than it used to be.

Kind of like a rebuilt title, logic dictates that it should be easy to sell at the right price, but in reality, folks really avoid this type of car.

relyt92
08-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
It's not always about how much your car is worth is hail damage, but about how tough it'll be to unload at any price. There are some folks who would never buy a hail damaged car, regardless of price. So your market is actually much smaller than it used to be.

Kind of like a rebuilt title, logic dictates that it should be easy to sell at the right price, but in reality, folks really avoid this type of car. I don't think hail would fall under the same category as a rebuilt car, hail is purely cosmetic so there's no worries about how the vehicle was repaired, it also retains factory warranty. Rebuilt title makes people worry about mechanical and structural issues and how they were repaired, and the vehicle no longer gets any warranty coverage.

msommers
08-28-2015, 09:17 PM
I'm with ExtraSlow on that though, most people will think it's "tainted" and stay away

b.rock1
09-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Quick update: threw the car up on Kijiji and AutoTrader for $14k (very, very optimistic I know) just to see, and have had quite a few people e-mail me so far. Few people coming to look at it over the next week or so - assuming they make a reasonable offer I may actually find a way out of this mess. If it doesn't sell, I have a dimpled car that works just fine and an extra $12,000 dollars :nut:

schocker
09-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Yah, that would definitely be a good option out.

I called ECO and they figured it would take too much work to fix so now I am torn. I could just drive it and pocket the money and have it look goofy up close or I might just get mine fixed and put it up for sale right away. Not many TSX for sale currently, but mine still has 2yr warranty, separate winter wheels so I can hopefully offset the repaired value drop.

b.rock1
09-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Yah, that would definitely be a good option out.

I called ECO and they figured it would take too much work to fix so now I am torn. I could just drive it and pocket the money and have it look goofy up close or I might just get mine fixed and put it up for sale right away. Not many TSX for sale currently, but mine still has 2yr warranty, separate winter wheels so I can hopefully offset the repaired value drop.

Ugh that's a bummer. Honestly, after a couple weeks I hardly notice the damage anymore. It is a different story with your TSX for sure though, it isn't a compact/econobox like mine is.

Just spoke to insurance, and taking the cash settlement just removes my hail coverage and doesn't modify my policy in any other way.

Thinking if the car doesn't sell I'll throw a roof box on it (to cover the damaged roof), some rallyarmor flaps and turn it into the ultimate winter/snowboarding/mountain driving beater.

Cos
09-02-2015, 05:29 PM

speeed
09-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I am in a similar situation.. Got hail damage on my car Aug 4th during the storm.

Got the appraisal done through an Intact appraiser as required. Although it's not as bad as the OP's damage, the estimate came out to be $4134.08 with only PDR repairs. My car's an 08 civic si with 171k km.

Haven't decided whether to get the damage fixed or take the cash settlement. I've talked with my adjuster and he explained to me that the settlement would be the estimate, subtract deductible ($250), subtract GST ($196.86), AND subtract 20% of the labour cost on the estimate. This leaves me with a $2899.73 cash settlement if I decide not to fix it.

Judging by the posts above, it seems insurance just takes off your deductible amount and pays out the rest of the estimate. Is this normal for them to do this in my scenario? and is there anyway I can negotiate this amount?

b.rock1
09-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by speeed
I am in a similar situation.. Got hail damage on my car Aug 4th during the storm.

Got the appraisal done through an Intact appraiser as required. Although it's not as bad as the OP's damage, the estimate came out to be $4134.08 with only PDR repairs. My car's an 08 civic si with 171k km.

Haven't decided whether to get the damage fixed or take the cash settlement. I've talked with my adjuster and he explained to me that the settlement would be the estimate, subtract deductible ($250), subtract GST ($196.86), AND subtract 20% of the labour cost on the estimate. This leaves me with a $2899.73 cash settlement if I decide not to fix it.

Judging by the posts above, it seems insurance just takes off your deductible amount and pays out the rest of the estimate. Is this normal for them to do this in my scenario? and is there anyway I can negotiate this amount?

That's a bummer. I'm sure each company has a different policy but when it comes to insurance I think most things are negotiable. I don't think you would lose anything if you try.

Pacman
09-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Well I just got my estimate from Know How Systems for $11,300 to repair my car.

2012 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 140,000 km's.

I suspect the value of my car is 14k to 18k (hard to tell as the prices on kijiji are all over the place)......so the $11,300 repair might write the car off.

I'm with TDMM.

I haven't spoken with the claims adjuster yet, I only have the repair estimate.

Any thoughts on what my options might be so I can be prepared?

I would love to keep the car, keep the damage and get some type of cash payout and continue driving it as a daily family vehicle. Maybe put a roof box on to hide the roof damage and wait for a hood to become availbe via "pick your part".

Writeoff wouldn't be ideal as I've read too many stories of being underpaid for the car.

Fixing it would be ok, but I would much rather have a decent cash payout and live with the damage.

any thoughts?

lint
09-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

I suspect the value of my car is 14k to 18k (hard to tell as the prices on kijiji are all over the place)......so the $11,300 repair might write the car off.

I'm with TDMM.

I would love to keep the car, keep the damage and get some type of cash payout and continue driving it as a daily family vehicle. Maybe put a roof box on to hide the roof damage and wait for a hood to become availbe via "pick your part".

Writeoff wouldn't be ideal as I've read too many stories of being underpaid for the car.

Fixing it would be ok, but I would much rather have a decent cash payout and live with the damage.

any thoughts?

that should be a write off based on the repair cost vs value of the vehicle. TDMM was really good when it came to write off value. My mom's car was written off due to an accident that caused frame damage, and the adjuster pretty much told me to check kijiji/auto trader, and find 3 examples that supported a price I was looking for and that was that. Painless.

nzwasp
09-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Got my estimate too. $5500 on my 2013 toyota highlander. Its getting repaired over this weekend.

lasimmon
09-10-2015, 12:11 PM

I'm with TDMM.

any thoughts?

Just wrote off my car with TDMM. They value your catr based on listed/sold prices from local dealers and Auto trader. They sent me what they compared mine to. There were about 12 of the same vehicle listed, what it sold for, how many KM's and how they use that amount to calculate what my car was worth. For the record they offered me more that what I thought I would get.

The other option if its deemed a total loss is to get paid out. So you would get the amount of the write off minus the salvage amount (about $3100 on my $11,800 vehicle).

They told me they would only supply third party insurance on my vehicle if I went that way though.

Pacman
09-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Just wrote off my car with TDMM. They value your catr based on listed/sold prices from local dealers and Auto trader. They sent me what they compared mine to. There were about 12 of the same vehicle listed, what it sold for, how many KM's and how they use that amount to calculate what my car was worth. For the record they offered me more that what I thought I would get.

The other option if its deemed a total loss is to get paid out. So you would get the amount of the write off minus the salvage amount (about $3100 on my $11,800 vehicle).

They told me they would only supply third party insurance on my vehicle if I went that way though.

This is good information to know.

So, with your example, you could have bought your car back for the salvage value and then only had 3rd party coverage on it?

Any idea what would happen if you fully disclosed the hail damage on the car and then tried to insure it with another company? Would you get full comprehensive (minus hail protection) on the car?

I would love to keep this car as it's excellent with the exception of the hail damage.

Pacman
09-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by lint

that should be a write off based on the repair cost vs value of the vehicle. TDMM was really good when it came to write off value. My mom's car was written off due to an accident that caused frame damage, and the adjuster pretty much told me to check kijiji/auto trader, and find 3 examples that supported a price I was looking for and that was that. Painless.

Good to know they are fair and reasonable. In my case, I really want to keep the car if I can pocket some money. It's a great, reliable daily family hauler.

I was hoping to get a call from the agent today, but haven't heard anything yet.

The odd thing is, I got an email from the KHS dent repair giving me the estimate and then asking if I wanted them to proceed with repairing the car. I'm not sure why they would do that as it seems like the damage is high enough to write the car off. I assumed approval would be needed from TDMM before the dent repair place could try to get me to agree to doing the repair.

Pacman
09-11-2015, 03:44 PM
I spoke with my TD adjuster. There is not enough damage for a writeoff, so I only have 2 options:

1) Take the car to Know How Systems and they fix it

2) I take the car to another repair shop of my choice and TD cuts a cheque for them to fix it.

She said there was no option for the $5,000 payout to me and she wasn't interested in discussing it.

Has anyone else had a higher repair estimate (mine was $11,300) and been offered the $5,000 payout?

It seems crazy that TD would rather payout $11,300 to repair the car vs paying me $5,000.

James

schocker
09-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Shouldn't they offer you the $11.3 minus deductible as a third option?

Pacman
09-11-2015, 04:25 PM

They cap cash payouts at $5,000. Unfortunately, it sounds like if the damage is more than $5,000, the only option is to fix the car.

Zhao Kan
09-11-2015, 05:00 PM

That depends on the insurance company. The full amount minus deductible on claims would make it so no one fixes anything imo.

b.rock1
09-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Zhao Kan

That depends on the insurance company. The full amount minus deductible on claims would make it so no one fixes anything imo.

Hence why I didn't fix the damage on my car and took my $12,004 cheque

stardotstar
09-13-2015, 01:38 PM
I spoke with my TD adjuster. There is not enough damage for a writeoff, so I only have 2 options:

1) Take the car to Know How Systems and they fix it

2) I take the car to another repair shop of my choice and TD cuts a cheque for them to fix it.

She said there was no option for the $5,000 payout to me and she wasn't interested in discussing it.

Has anyone else had a higher repair estimate (mine was $11,300) and been offered the $5,000 payout?

It seems crazy that TD would rather payout $11,300 to repair the car vs paying me $5,000.

James

I asked TD about being paid out and since the estimate was over $5k they weren't even interested in discussing it any further. The only option was to just get it repaired.

b.rock1
09-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Well, somehow ended up with a happy ending to my hail horror story. Took the big cheque, sold the Mazda3 for a good price and just bought a 2015 GTI. Looking forward to picking it up Monday evening!

relyt92
09-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Well, somehow ended up with a happy ending to my hail horror story. Took the big cheque, sold the Mazda3 for a good price and just bought a 2015 GTI. Looking forward to picking it up Monday evening! Excellent to hear, how much over what the car was worth before did you get for it all said and done if you're willing to share?

b.rock1
09-18-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Excellent to hear, how much over what the car was worth before did you get for it all said and done if you're willing to share?

I'll keep that on the down-low for now but suffice it to say I found the perfect buyer - someone who does not care about the car's appearance whatsoever. They got a great deal and it covered the remaining of what I owed on the car.

lilmira
10-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Got my car back from DNT. Glad to report that it's back to it's original glory. I'm quite particular with the condition of my cars inside and out. So far I haven't found a single dent and I know where they were. I'll have a better look tomorrow during the day. Will use them again, well hopefully I don't have to.

Don't you hate to find a piece of broken plastic, clip looking thingy on the floor. Everything appears to be tight to me, could have been anything. I'm just glad that the dents are gone. :nut:

schocker
10-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Have mine book in at maranello Nov 16 so still a ways out for me :rofl:

lilmira
10-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Funny thing, after driving the rental based model mazda3, hail beaten no less, got in my car, drove for a bit, thought to myself, hmm must have left it in dynamic mode, looked at the screen, comfort mode :rofl:

schocker
10-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Well I have an estimate of 3 weeks so now I needed to find the most fun rental car for $1,200 total that is OK for commuting in snow. Probably going to be a rav4 :rofl:

When I had my bumper repainted my buddy let me use his taurus sho for the week and I didn't want to give it back to switch back to the slow tsx :(

lilmira
10-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah you want to hear a funny story?

I was told to use Discount. Phoned them on Sunday to reserve a car on Monday. First person said that they didn't have anything. Ok my bad for phoning late. Told them to get me one whenever since I'll be out of a car for a week and a half or so for repair. Then I got transferred to the insurance claim department. The second person got me a car, told me to call them when I dropped the car off at the shop. The next day I called, nope, no reservation to be found. Got transferred to the insurance claim department again and it was a discontinued phone line. Phoned then again WTF, finally they got me a car. The next day I got a call from them, I thought, ok apology. "hello, you have a reservation with us, do you still need the vehicle?" :banghead:

Back few months ago when my other car got backed into. It was Discount too. I was at work and I told them to pick me up some time before 5pm. Nope, no phone call, no body. Phoned them and they said someone was coming right away. Alright, got a phone called later from a person at the desk telling me that my pick up was outside. Don't know why my pick up wasn't phoning me directly instead but whatever. Went outside, not a soul. Phoned them back WTF. I was given a phone number to call the pick up guy? Talked to the guy and he was at the wrong address two blocks away.

Speechless

schocker
10-05-2015, 10:04 PM
That sounds pretty awesome lol :banghead:
They offered to book it for me but I said I would let them know as it is still many weeks out. I think discount was the one aviva uses though :nut:

lilmira
10-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Yeah I'm with Aviva, I mentioned it to my adjuster. He said that he'll start considering sending people to Enterprise. No complain with Aviva, been great so far.

nzwasp
10-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Im also with avviva, they only let me use one shop which was A1 autobody, it didnt matter to me too much but A1 had their own "rental" cars so I didnt get to pick

schocker
10-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Yeah I'm with Aviva, I mentioned it to my adjuster. He said that he'll start considering sending people to Enterprise. No complain with Aviva, been great so far.
I'll just check it out on my own to see what I can come up with as discount is also farther away. Enterprise is at crowfoot which is closer to train.

Originally posted by nzwasp
Im also with avviva, they only let me use one shop which was A1 autobody, it didnt matter to me too much but A1 had their own "rental" cars so I didnt get to pick
Weird, they said I could cut the cheque to anyone as long as they will use the appraisal.

GreyFox
10-07-2015, 10:38 AM
I really enjoy how you can get 3 different answers/scenario's from different people using the same insurance company and/or bodyshops. I suppose maybe everybody has a slightly different policy, but you'd think there would be some sort of standardization.

I'm with Aviva, got my appraisal done at A-1. Adjuster from Aviva contacted me within 2 days after the appraisal was done to let me know my options (same options as previously mentioned by others). Damage was 5k, it's a 2014 Impreza.

She said I could simply reply to the girl CC'ed on the email from A-1 in order to book in. So I did so, and the girl from A-1 said she'll get back to me by end of the day with some options for repair date. 2 weeks goes by, still haven't heard from her. So I called A-1 and asked to speak with her, A-1 says that she doesn't have a phone line or anything, and can only be contacted via email. So I email her again and ask what's going on, she says sorry, she'll get me some options by end of the day (on a Friday)....Yah, I've heard that before. Sure enough, she doesn't get back to me before the end of the day. She did however, get back to me on the Monday, and I was quite surprised that she was able to book me in for this week.

In the mean time, I emailed my adjuster at Aviva and asked for a different list of shops because I was fuming at A-1. She sent me a full list and said I could go to any of these: https://www.avivacanada.com/mappingtool/layout.php

Anyways, ended up staying at A-1 simply because I didn't want to repeat this whole process. A-1 also said that they'll set up the rental with either Enterprise OR Discount (my choice), they didn't mention anything about their own loaner cars.

TLDR; insurance can be weird, and damaged cars can sometimes be a hassle.

lilmira
10-07-2015, 10:54 AM
I proposed to my adjuster that I wanted to send my car to a shop of my preference right from the beginning and he said no problem as long as the repair follows the appraisal just like shocker mentioned. Send the appraisal to DNT, booked the repair, done. My appraisal was done at Country Hills and they were going to book me in there.

My sunroof is not working, got to bring it back, most likely something is unhooked. I'm still waiting for a chrome trim anyway, I'll have them do both at the same time. Can't be that smooth right?

Pacman
10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by GreyFox
I really enjoy how you can get 3 different answers/scenario's from different people using the same insurance company and/or bodyshops. I suppose maybe everybody has a slightly different policy, but you'd think there would be some sort of standardization.

It's brutal. I had $11,600 damage on my car and was told by insurance that my only option was to get it fixed (either at their preferred shop or one that I chose). They explained that they cap out cash payouts at $5,000. I asked for the 5k payout and they declined me.

So, I had a 2nd car that was also hit by hail. It's wasn't very bad at all and I was debating about leaving it as is or starting a claim on it. I decided to start the claim.

I had a new adjuster call me regarding the 2nd car. He was getting confused as to which claim was which as both cars are the same year, model and color. So, he transferred the 1st claim over to his account so he could handle both of them to make things simple.

He asked what the status of the first claim was and I explained that I really didn't have a choice and was going to get it fixed at their preferred shop. He said "oh, I can actually do the cash payout for you if you like". I explained that I would gladly take the 5k max payout on the car. He then explained that the payout would be the full $11,600 minus my $250 deductible. He sent out the paperwork within the hour, I sent it back and a cheque was mailed out to me later that day.

So either they changed the rules in the past few weeks or I was getting incorrect information from my first insurance agent.

Otherwise, the service has been dandy.

lilmira
10-07-2015, 01:43 PM
sunroof fixed, that didn't take long at all. Wrong trim came in the second time, 2 more times and we'll have all 4, can't go wrong then.

DNT :thumbsup: