PDA

View Full Version : BC Hippies Need to Stop Burning Down Their Forests

killramos
08-25-2015, 07:30 AM
I mean come on its affecting Calgarians now :rofl:.

Anyone else wake up this morning and swear they were in Shanghai?

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/five-things-to-know-about-calgarys-smoky-skies

Alberta Health Services issued an air quality advisory today because smoke from nearby wildfires is floating over the city and into your lungs. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Who’s at risk? When air quality gets this bad, it can annoy most of us, but some are more at risk of serious health problems. The elderly are more are risk because of their increased likelihood of respiratory ailments or lung disease. Children are also at risk because their airways are still developing, they proportionately breathe more air than adults, and they like to play outdoors. People should also prepare for worsening symptoms if they have heart or lung diseases such as angina, previous heart attacks, asthma and COPD.

2. How can risk be decreased? Keep the smoke out. There are a lot ways to do this. At home, close your windows, turn off your air conditioners and furnace fans (if you must run them, keep the fresh-air intake closed), and close your floor registers and fireplace dampers. In your car, choose the setting that recirculates air rather than pulling in outside air.

3. Do dust masks help? Nope. Most paper dusk masks that you buy at the hardware store are made to trap large particles and will not keep out smoke. An N95 mask can offer some protection if worn properly.

4. What else can be done to improve the situation? Not much, other than the no-brainers: Don’t smoke. Don’t have a backyard campfire. If you are feeling the impact of the smoke, it’s probably not the best day for a jog. You also might want to hold off smoking that brisket. If you are experiencing serious symptoms, see a doctor or call HealthLink at 811 to speak to a nurse.

5. How long will this last? Much of the smoke is being delivered to Calgary by prevailing winds, so it’s difficult to know when the weather might start co-operating to improve the situation. Alberta Environment is predicting a high health risk for tonight and tomorrow at least. Alberta Health Services says the air quality warning will be in effect until further notice.

Some funny quips in there, as if making a nice slow smoked brisket is going to make a material difference in this smog.

Anyone on here have issues with this? I have never had asthma or anything but i have had a runny nose all morning. I cant imagine this shit is helping...

ExtraSlow
08-25-2015, 07:55 AM
I have asthma, which is normally very mild. This smoke is playing havoc with me. The one-block walk from my parking spot to the office this morning had be coughing and choking. I'm hitting the inhaler on the regular now.

Also, it's Washington state that we should blame for this one. That's the source of most of this smoke.

Check out firesmoke.ca for smoke forecast projections

Sugarphreak
08-25-2015, 07:58 AM

schocker
08-25-2015, 08:07 AM
I already made my travel china joke this morning at the office :rofl:

I don't know if I remember the last time it was this bad though. Usually small and some haze, but it is really low today.

killramos
08-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

This isn't coming from BC btw, it is coming up from Washington. Blame the pot smokers there.

:rofl:

Maybe we should put up one of these:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1328482/thumbs/o-SMOG-900.jpg

ZenOps
08-25-2015, 08:11 AM
The solution is simple. Genetically modify trees to stop producing carbon. Hence, they cannot burn.