PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading school while on EI

Boosted131
08-26-2015, 08:26 AM
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/training.shtml

According to this document it says you can attend school and receive benefits if it doesn't interfere with finding a job. Anyone have any experience with this? I tried calling service Canada , there's too much of a queue to even get placed on hold .

I was thinking of doing an evening course a couple days a week

msommers
08-26-2015, 09:52 AM
My contract at work is up at the end of the summer and going back to school. I'm hoping I can qualify to receive EI :D

Mostwanted
08-26-2015, 10:12 AM
I did this before but you can only be a Part Time student, I got it for the first semester as a Full time student, but it was because they made a mistake on the computer or something :dunno: they ruled it out that it wasn't my mistake and it was their servers so I didnt have to pay any of it back.

There's a pretty long process for it, you have to get your schedule, prove your only Part time student etc... it was well worth it in the end getting paid to sit down and do homework :angel:

Sugarphreak
08-26-2015, 10:22 AM

HiTempguy1
08-26-2015, 10:45 AM
I know quite a few people back in the day that went through technology diploma programs at NAIT were on EI. I think it had something to do with if you are laid-off from your job, you can qualify and go.

I'd have to look further into it though :dunno:

killramos
08-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I know quite a few people back in the day that went through technology diploma programs at NAIT were on EI. I think it had something to do with if you are laid-off from your job, you can qualify and go.

I'd have to look further into it though :dunno:

It helps that anyone who attends SAIT for apprenticeship schooling etc. is eligible to collect EI...

Sugarphreak
08-26-2015, 11:09 AM

HiTempguy1
08-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by killramos

It helps that anyone who attends SAIT for apprenticeship schooling etc. is eligible to collect EI...

But they weren't apprenticeship programs is exactly my point. They were 2 year diplomas (unless you are really lumping in the diploma programs with apprenticeships, which wouldn't surprise me ;) ), and the big stipulations were:

1) You were laid off (not fired) from your last position

2) You had actively been seeking work in your current field and couldn't find any

2) You had to literally have attendance records signed by your instructors every week

I believe it worked into a retraining program, but everyone stated it was EI. It definitely is something to look into, especially if laid off.

nickyh
08-26-2015, 06:07 PM
my husband got laid off in the 2009 recession, we went back to school full time for a month for a compressed course, he did not get any EI during that period. Part time evening I would assume should be fine.
Just a tip if you call Service Canada, call at 8:10am on a Wednesday - I tried for 2 weeks to get through me that was my magic time slot.

themack89
08-26-2015, 09:12 PM
I know someone doing this. You do weekly reports, there is a check box for "attended school without allowance or stipend" or whatever. Even if you check it, you can say if you were offered a job you would just adjust your school schedule to accommodate the job. It's not a problem.

*Edit. This was done both for on-campus and on-line university courses.

Matty_10
08-26-2015, 11:26 PM
It differs from province to province. Ontario is Second Career, Saskatchewan is CanSask Learning, these are the two I know of. Its based off the unemployment rate in your region. It cant be used for university, but it can be used for tech programs(this is what I did). They pay for tuition and books, and you fill out your regular EI reports every 2 weeks and collect EI while you go to school. I had to be laid off before I could apply and went through quite a few hoops as I already had employable skills. You have a Consultant and create a action plan and then you check up with them after every semester to reapply for funding.

Kobe
08-27-2015, 10:37 AM
In Alberta atleast 6-7 years ago I was allowed to go part time (2 courses at MRU) at once while on full-time EI.

Full time was 3+ courses a semester..

I was in a business marketing program at the time, i'd assume it is the same now a days?

I've also heard of a "part-time EI" as well which you could look into.

Your best off going into the office and waiting 30 minutes..

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-srch.cgi?app=lst&pv=ab&ot=&ln=eng

There was one near glenmore and macleod I used to always go to..

HuMz
08-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

But they weren't apprenticeship programs is exactly my point. They were 2 year diplomas (unless you are really lumping in the diploma programs with apprenticeships, which wouldn't surprise me ;) ), and the big stipulations were:

1) You were laid off (not fired) from your last position

2) You had actively been seeking work in your current field and couldn't find any

2) You had to literally have attendance records signed by your instructors every week

I believe it worked into a retraining program, but everyone stated it was EI. It definitely is something to look into, especially if laid off.

How can you be actively looking for work in your field when your in school Monday to Friday? I plan on doing my EET next September and would love to exercise this option if it was available.

HuMz
08-27-2015, 11:01 AM
My guess is that they were approved by a designated authority as per:

As a general rule, to be entitled to_regular benefits, you must show that you are unemployed, able and willing to work and actively looking for suitable work. Therefore, if you are taking a training course on your own initiative, without being directed to do so by a_designated authority, you must show, without a doubt, that taking a course is not an obstacle to your active job search or to your acceptance of appropriate employment.

Sugarphreak
09-01-2015, 10:07 AM