PDA

View Full Version : Bad Work Situation - What would beyond do?

Pages : [1] 2

killramos
08-27-2015, 11:29 AM
So I have been having a really tough time lately with my job and the fact that i basically sit in a chair 35+ hours a week with little to no legitimate work to do. If i was my manager i would lay me off any day of the week. Heck I am just waiting for a meeting with HR on how much time i spend surfing beyond on my computer, but really i don't have much else to do.

In any normal circumstance I would have quit months ago as what I am doing is literally a waste of my and the companies time. But with the market the way it is i feel completely trapped.

Basically i feel like I am in a role with a company that is as least 30% overstaffed. With nowhere positive to go. Any work I do on my own initiative is dismissed and actively discouraged. The work that I am actually assigned to do is honestly actively dismissed by most members of the company, they just plain don't like my department. I sit in meetings where people say straight to my face that they are ignoring all of my recommendations to go with their gut feelings. Nice.

My boss is incapable of delegating tasks, he does everything himself because he doesn't trust anyone else to do them. I basically google things for him so he doesn't have to. Any work that I would like to do is instantly denied because I quite frankly have 0$ budget to gather any data, which isn't unreasonable right now. The worst part is i didn't even like the job when we were busy, i put up with it so i could try and learn a complicated role. I am not learning any more.

I have brought these issues up with my manager, VP, i have even sat down with the CEO about it. I have been promised for months a transfer that isn't even close to happening ( my manager doesn't even know a thing about it). I first mentioned that I need a change ASAP last December in my official performance review. However i see what my counterparts in other departments do and it doesn't look much better.

That's my job in a nutshell.

The flip side is I am well taken care of by the company. gold plated benefits, great cash and otherwise compensation, crazy numbers of days off, good vacation time. My boss is great about this as well, he basically doesn't have patience for department administration so he lets us do whatever we want re: vacation, appointments, lunches, etc.

If i was in the tail end of my career i could probably put up with this, but 2 years in i feel like i am burning through some of the most important years for learning and getting recognized. Heck i don't even think APEGA would accept what I am doing as legitimate engineering experience.

My wife has been in school for the last 2 years as well so my income was completely necessary in staying above water. She has a job now and is working full time though which i feel gives me options. She also thinks i should just quit because of how she sees it affecting me, she doesn't really think about the consequences of me not having a job but whatever.

There is also a possibility that my company wont even exist this time next year anyways, the nature of the patch right now.

Does anyone else in a similar role feel this way? Am I just out to lunch with my expectations of life during a downturn?

Should I just shut my mouth and ride the comfortable ship through the downturn and put up with how the job makes me feel? Because what i am doing makes me feel near constantly depressed and useless.

What kind of options do i realistically have?

Not looking for pity because i know i don't deserve it but maybe an outside opinion or two would be very helpful in sorting all the things swirling in my mind.

I also know a few of you have deducted where I work and what I do so I ask ( cant make anyone do anything ) you to keep that to yourself in the thread.

:thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
08-27-2015, 11:37 AM
If I was you, I'd be working hard to build my network so that I had more options when the industry turns around.
Fine tune that resume, meet new people, do some volunteering whatever.

You can't stay in a job you hate long term. It'll kill your morale and motivation and it'll also hurt your future job prospects. However, short term, It's worth using that as a stable place to upgrade yourself from.

cet
08-27-2015, 11:40 AM
I know the market is tight right now but can't you be applying for some of the positions that are available? If something comes up, great. If nothing does do what ExtraSlow is suggesting and build your network for when things do turn around.

killramos
08-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If I was you, I'd be working hard to build my network so that I had more options when the industry turns around.
Fine tune that resume, meet new people, do some volunteering whatever.

You can't stay in a job you hate long term. It'll kill your morale and motivation and it'll also hurt your future job prospects. However, short term, It's worth using that as a stable place to upgrade yourself from.

One thing i have considered is trying to get an application together for the Oct 1 deadline for the January start evening MBA. Give me something fulfilling to work on at least in my free time. But that's 3 years out form making a real change in my career.

Mostly i have been thinking of that out of frustration that there is no possible engineering solution to any of my companies real problems.

killramos
08-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by cet
I know the market is tight right now but can't you be applying for some of the positions that are available? If something comes up, great. If nothing does do what ExtraSlow is suggesting and build your network for when things do turn around.

I have been looking for postings but as a 2 year EIT in a niche role. Its really tough to meet any requirements.

revelations
08-27-2015, 11:42 AM
If you can put the time to use online somehow, I would stay. Just become a yes man and stick out the recession. Before I left my other company, we had weeks of down time where I was able to setup my business and do tons of research. I know the worst feeling for me is to be at my desk at 9am on a Monday with nothing to do for the rest of the week

It takes an attitude change though, which is hard to do if you've been in a place long enough and have put in tons of effort to get to where you are now.

realazy
08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
From what I gather from your numerous posts, I think you work at a medium sized producer with a market cap that has dropped ~90% in the past year. You're an engineer, probably in production or development.

I think most engineers are bored right now at producers, there's only so many things you can suggest especially if you're stuck with a shitty property. I'm lucky in a sense that I still manage cash flow positive properties and can still suggest profitable small optimizations.

How well do you get along with other people in the integrated team? Why not take this time to chat with the geologists, landman, JV, and just learn about other aspects of the business? If not, at least chat up your immediate team and see if there are things you can learn or help out with. I've been sticking my nose into my production engineers work to see if I can help or at least provide a second opinion. The company I'm at is always trying to brainstorm ideas to cut costs or optimize things, and then applying them to all business units. Ideas like how you can get exemptions from the AER for certain calibration or testing frequencies, or dig into property taxes to make sure you're not overpaying for idle assets. My team has been all over the place, with everyone suggesting ideas and taking charge of implementing them.

Sorry for the long post, just my $0.02 on what we can all still do when there's no capital.

CompletelyNumb
08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't recommend a change in career this year. Ride it out and laugh your way to the bank. Just keep quietly looking around for work, something may fall in your lap.

lasimmon
08-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Yah I wouldn't suggest leaving your job as a 2 year EIT. Not in this market.

Can you elaborate on what you do?

rage2
08-27-2015, 11:51 AM
If you're getting paid to do nothing, spend that time doing some contract work on the side. Get paid twice. Not sure if that's possible from your field of work or not.

riander5
08-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by rage2
If you're getting paid to do nothing, spend that time doing some contract work on the side. Get paid twice. Not sure if that's possible from your field of work or not.

Most likely a conflict of interest.

What is your actual position? Res, Prod, Dril, Compl, Fac, or are you even more specific than that?

killramos
08-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Can you elaborate on what you do?

My title is reservoir engineer working on special projects and play evaluations. My group reports directly to the president in a special arrangement due to my boss being a very old friend of his. Which is a big bone of contention among other engineers in the company. Not something i asked for btw. Before i started my role did not exist.

Definitely cannot moonlight, esp on company resources, ( against my contract) and I am not a professional engineer anyways so that's out.

Tried teaching myself German online through duolingo for a few weeks last winter to fill the time but IT has been cracking down on any media streaming ( including the 10 second audio clips they use).

ExtraSlow
08-27-2015, 12:05 PM
Contract work on the side almost certainly goes against his employment contract.

riander5
08-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Just suck it up for now and the next few months. Unfortunate you are stuck in exploratory res right now - the closer to the wellhead you are the busier you stay in times like these. But when things pick back up you are in a good spot. In the mean time just scroll through pictures of your car to keep you happy

Of course you could do what I did when i made my first move from oilsands field position to producer in calgary - fire out ~ 200 resumes over 2 days :burnout:

edit - youtube link didn't work :banghead:

Hero_X
08-27-2015, 12:20 PM
If you're getting paid and vacation days, stick with it for now. Keep applying elsewhere and if you get an offer, then quit.

In this market some work is better than no work. I know it's boring but hey it's money and pays the bills.

Maybe try to teach yourself other engineering skills? that may help build up your resume and you would look better when applying.

Good luck!

J.M.
08-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Stick with it for now man, especially if you have significant bills to pay (mortgage, cars, etc.)

I quit my job a while ago, I just wasn't happy with what I was doing but I kinda regret it. I'm still trying to figure out wtf to do with my life lol

Cos
08-27-2015, 12:36 PM

rage2
08-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Definitely cannot moonlight, esp on company resources, ( against my contract) and I am not a professional engineer anyways so that's out.

Contract work on the side almost certainly goes against his employment contract.
How about something that's unrelated to your line of work? Or is even that not allowed?

Chemengsait
08-27-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm in a similar situation like you, I honestly dread waking up in the morning to go to work especially when there is no work to do. Maybe consider taking evening classes, I did that during the winter and at least I had something to do at my desk. I bet it's harder when you have bills to pay (I still live at home so I can't relate) but just stick it out something good will come your way :thumbsup:

killramos
08-27-2015, 12:59 PM

How about something that's unrelated to your line of work? Or is even that not allowed?

I imagine thats a grey area. But here you are assuming I have relevant skills :rofl:

Thanks alot for the advice guys. Will keep me from making a rash decision. I am going to try and keep my options open and my spirits up in the meantime. Keep moving forward.

The networking is a good idea. Keep up my coffees and lunches etc.

ExtraSlow
08-27-2015, 01:01 PM
I'll buy you coffee.

XylathaneGTR
08-27-2015, 01:03 PM

As an EIT he's not really allowed to take responsibility for any engineering work, so he'd either need to contract out to a PEng to do some grunt work that the PEng authenticates, or...photoshop? web design? Art, etc.?

IMO, consider the alternative. It's a fucking terrible job market for EITs even before the last 6 months. There are a hundred other EITs, some probably on this same forum, who would kill to be in your position right now...at least you have employment despite the temporary downturn and lowpoint.
IMO, ride it out brother. See if you can pick up some books or do some coursework on the side?

killramos
08-27-2015, 01:05 PM
I'll buy you coffee.

:thumbsup:

Feruk
08-27-2015, 01:10 PM
I might know where you work, but it might just as easily be one of half a dozen other companies in a similar position.

Honestly, I think the oil patch is dead for you for the next couple years. You might get lucky, but with your experience, searching for a job at another producer probably shouldn't be the only thing you're looking at. Go broader and leverage that 2 years engineering experience. You're young enough that that 2 years of experience and engineering degree is transferrable. Use LinkedIn and broadly see what careers in different industries are available where you meet or almost meet the requirements. A perfect example would be an equity research job for someone like TD Waterhouse. You've got some experience they want (they value engineering experience), so all you'd have to do is sign up for your CFA contingent on getting a job. Just one example. There are many jobs out there that are not for a producer or service company that you're qualified for that can pay very well. You probably just haven't looked widely enough.

killramos
08-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I might know where you work, but it might just as easily be one of half a dozen other companies in a similar position.

Honestly, I think the oil patch is dead for you for the next couple years. You might get lucky, but with your experience, searching for a job at another producer probably shouldn't be the only thing you're looking at. Go broader and leverage that 2 years engineering experience. You're young enough that that 2 years of experience and engineering degree is transferrable. Use LinkedIn and broadly see what careers in different industries are available where you meet or almost meet the requirements. A perfect example would be an equity research job for someone like TD Waterhouse. You've got some experience they want (they value engineering experience), so all you'd have to do is sign up for your CFA contingent on getting a job. Just one example. There are many jobs out there that are not for a producer or service company that you're qualified for that can pay very well. You probably just haven't looked widely enough.

A career 180 is definitely something I would consider. And a finance option is something I'm not opposed to at all. In an equity position like you said. I find it interesting.

sabad66
08-27-2015, 01:27 PM
If they haven't been following through on their promises to transfer you, you're most likely going to be laid off very soon. The writing is on the wall.

Start networking and looking for a new job now while you're still getting paid. Good luck

Sugarphreak
08-27-2015, 02:14 PM

Feruk
08-27-2015, 02:15 PM
A career 180 is definitely something I would consider. And a finance option is something I'm not opposed to at all. In an equity position like you said. I find it interesting.

Here's one I found in 5 minutes at Macquarie Capital :
http://www.careers.macquarie.com/cw/en/job/926442/analyst-macquarie-capital-oil-gas-calgary

You're qualified and probably ahead of a lot of other candidates. I'll warn you the hours are long... You've gotta get on places like LinkedIn and look though.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Once you obtain your P.Eng, will your skill set be transferable to other areas?
Absolutely not. A P. Eng. is almost meaningless.

killramos
08-27-2015, 02:26 PM

http://www.careers.macquarie.com/cw/en/job/926442/analyst-macquarie-capital-oil-gas-calgary

You're qualified and probably ahead of a lot of other candidates. I'll warn you the hours are long... You've gotta get on places like LinkedIn and look though.

Wow, i mostly hadn't looked at said positions because i thought that i would be unqualified without additional experience in the area.

Thanks for that!

And yea the P. Eng is pretty much a piece of paper on the wall. Necessary for consultants due to the nature of their work but not so much for employees.

Sugarphreak
08-27-2015, 02:28 PM

killramos
08-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Ok, funny.

What I am asking is what qualifications of being a petroleum engineer can be used elsewhere. Are they qualified to such things as hydro infrastructure, or other civil work for instance?

I am a Mechanical Engineer, if i stayed in my current role for a full 4 years and got my designation with that experience civil or hydro work would definitely be outside my scope of practice. As it is my scope of practice can still be molded into whatever i want.

My coworker is an electrical engineer and does the same job as me.

:dunno:

Sugarphreak
08-27-2015, 02:37 PM

vengie
08-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Absolutely not. A P. Eng. is almost meaningless.

Would someone with a Eng Tech diploma be able to apply for something like this? or would it specifically need to be a degree in eng?

ExtraSlow
08-27-2015, 02:49 PM
P.Eng is not worthless. It's a valuable piece of paper when looking for jobs. Maybe not 100% of jobs, but it DOES matter to a lot of employers, even if that skillset is not required for the position.

finboy
08-27-2015, 05:19 PM
I WISH I had this problem, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum but in the scm world, 5 years experience, but stuck in a role that is shift work (15 days or nights a week, then six days off) and severely understaffed. I have no time to do upgrading, job hunting/interviews are extremely challenging, and there is NO chance of internal movement. My network are mostly at producers who have hiring freezes on, so I feel absolutely stuck at a place that isn't giving me much experience even with the hours I'm working. It's basically like being stuck in purgatory, they can't fire me, I can't quit, there is no chance of moving anywhere, the money isn't great and I have no time to get elsewhere.

Guess waiting it out is all there is to do.

killramos
08-27-2015, 05:26 PM
Sitting on your hands all day is really not as fun as it may sound.

But I feel your pain.

leftwing
08-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Sounds like you work for a great company but hate your current position. If I were in your position I would keep waiting and applying to positions in your company that interest you more. Most companies love hiring from within. Although beware, and I'm sure you know that the grass isn't always greener. I would also be applying to positions outside my company that interest me, maybe even wild cards such as the job link posted - you have nothing to lose. You want out of your position so make it happen one way or another. I just wouldn't quit, even if the job market is good.

Good Luck!

blitz
08-27-2015, 07:53 PM
In this market, at your experience level, I would collect your paycheque for as long as you can. If you find something else in the meantime, great.

If you have nothing to do read and educate yourself on work time, whether it's MBA assignments, government regs, reservoir, well optimization, etc. Hell, pick a producer in a 'hot' area and teach yourself how to do a property level acquisition model.

dirtsniffer
08-28-2015, 12:30 AM
I'll buy you a coffee.

ercchry
08-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Was dealing with a similar situation for a while... they just never would fire me though... finally quit end of july. Apparently people have never seen me so happy. But i've just been at the lake since then, next week I'll finally be back to real life with no real plan... so we'll see how that goes

ExtraSlow
08-28-2015, 08:21 AM
I've quit out of a bad situation before, actually twice now. Both were places that I don't think I could have gotten fired, and both paid fine. Each time I lined up my next job before I left though.

You have to do something that gives you some satisfaction, but don't put yourself in the poorhouse to do it.

Also, it's much better to interview for a job when you have a job. That's basic psychology.

DTTB_36
08-28-2015, 08:26 AM
It's a recession...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

riander5
08-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Ill let you buy me a coffee

Feruk
08-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by vengie
Would someone with a Eng Tech diploma be able to apply for something like this? or would it specifically need to be a degree in eng?
Not sure honestly. I've only heard of engineers going that way, but the requirements seem pretty broad. If I were you, I'd apply for sure. Having said that, I suspect it'd be substantially harder than if you had a degree, but that's true of most jobs.

dirtsniffer
08-28-2015, 08:37 AM
If you're interested in switching to a more process / mechanical design / manufacturing type of engineering we have a couple postings up and more coming in the next couple months.

riander5
08-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
If you're interested in switching to a more process / mechanical design / manufacturing type of engineering we have a couple postings up and more coming in the next couple months.

For the love of god don't do this ^

(no offense to dirtsniffer - it is a nice offer)

kenny
08-28-2015, 03:43 PM

I imagine thats a grey area. But here you are assuming I have relevant skills :rofl:

We are always looking for bloggers if you have lots of free time online :D

flipstah
08-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Fuck that. Mibz failed on that, Kenny. :(

I'll join in Beyond coffee meet.

dirtsniffer
08-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by riander5

For the love of god don't do this ^

(no offense to dirtsniffer - it is a nice offer)

:rofl:

killramos
08-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by kenny

We are always looking for bloggers if you have lots of free time online :D

:D

trickyone
08-28-2015, 06:40 PM
bro, since u have a reservoir engineering job, why don't u spend sometime and learn reservoir simulations and optimizations software and I can bet, it will help u in the future if u decide to stick around with reservoir engineering...

P.S. let me know if u need CMG or Schlumberger Petrel, I can give u the software along with tutorial...

xnvy
08-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Tried teaching myself German online through duolingo for a few weeks last winter to fill the time but IT has been cracking down on any media streaming ( including the 10 second audio clips they use).
I have nothing useful to add to this thread except that I find it funny that you and I do literally the exact same thing during downtime at work. 59 day streak! IElanguages doesn't have media I don't think and it's nicer to learn on than duolingo IMO.

battlebot
08-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

what company?

dirtsniffer
08-28-2015, 11:33 PM
:poosie:

killramos
08-31-2015, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by trickyone
bro, since u have a reservoir engineering job, why don't u spend sometime and learn reservoir simulations and optimizations software and I can bet, it will help u in the future if u decide to stick around with reservoir engineering...

P.S. let me know if u need CMG or Schlumberger Petrel, I can give u the software along with tutorial...

Thanks but there is 0% chance of me sticking with reservoir engineering.

I am good at it, but i really don't like it. I have about 6 months of working simulation experience with primary and secondary drainage cases and associated resource applications using a few different programs including CMG IMEX.

killramos
08-31-2015, 08:01 AM
One thing i have been thinking about over the weekend. What are the implications with my APEGA registration if i was to take a an analyst job with an equity firm?

I doubt the work there would count positively towards my designation. Differently so than if i was to make the switch after completing the designation, can maintain with PD etc.

So really making that jump now is leaving engineering behind me?

If anyone knows the reality behind those implications please let me know.

wrcftw
08-31-2015, 08:23 AM
First of all, kudos to you for thinking this whole thing through very rationally. I was in a similar position 2 years go, but in a different field. The department I worked in was basically marketing, however we were a "Special" unit that reported directly to the CFO...even though there was a sales/marketing department that was 20x the size of us and reported to the VP of marketing.

I spent 2 years in that position doing maybe 2 hrs of work a day. I was operating outside of my field of education, and was really worried that I had pushed myself into a corner, as I was learning nothing and felt I had no where to go.

Unlike you, I wasn't thinking rationally and I got quite depressed in the last 6 months....I started internalizing it and the uselessness of my job became a running thought it my head of how useless I was. I was in a similar position, young, making decent money, full benefits/pension, vacation and stock options...how could I be so stupid to think of leaving? I too was promised transfers or more responsibilities but they never came. Ended up quite depressed, on sick leave and I never returned. Changed fields completely and couldn't be happier.

Life is too short, no matter how young you are, to waste days away. Unless you can keep thinking about it rationally and keep your head up, i'd suggest moving on to something that makes you feel like getting up in the morning.

Cheers.

Dumbass17
08-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Haha, welcome to my life, OP!

I feel you, completely. Your first post feels like something I couldn't written. From my experience, ride it out and keep getting the cash.
I was in a similar situation but kept getting paid and surfed the net. It is tough (very tough) to get through a week but I would rather be getting paid than being home and being bored and not being paid. :dunno:
Since your boss seems similar to my old boss, I would suggest taking the time to take extended weekends and enjoying the rest of your summer. Make the most of your weekends/free time and then work isn't quite as horrible.
Build your LinkedIn profile and set up job alerts for the indeed.ca app on your phone.

I was lucky (well in some sense). At my last job, described above, I was bored out of my mind for several months, then I got injured (not at work) and went on short term disability for 3 months. I was still getting 70% of my wage but wasn't at work. Then when I was getting better, my current boss found me on LinkedIn, called me up and asked if I was looking for work. I wasn't really at the moment but it never hurts to have a chat and keep contact information. Anyways, a week goes by and I talk to my now ex boss and he says things are looking very very lean for the future for the next 2 years and that even his job could be on the line. That was pretty much the push I needed and called my now boss and went for an interview and here I am.
That was a ramble, sorry, in summary. Stick it out, enjoy yourself and quietly keep your ears/eyes open for something else. Best of luck!

XylathaneGTR
08-31-2015, 08:59 AM
One thing i have been thinking about over the weekend. What are the implications with my APEGA registration if i was to take a an analyst job with an equity firm?

I doubt the work there would count positively towards my designation. Differently so than if i was to make the switch after completing the designation, can maintain with PD etc.

So really making that jump now is leaving engineering behind me?

If anyone knows the reality behind those implications please let me know.
Depends on what you're doing. My ex-girlfriend ended up working at TD Securities as an analyst. She work's under a Peng and is definitely still working as an engineer (reservoir evaluations and financial data crunching), so there definitely can be engineering related work to be found outside of traditional 'engineering' lines of business. The biggest question to ask yourself is if there is a PEng there or not...that will tell you whether you have a shot at contributing to your designation.
If it's still something you really want to do AND it doesn't contribute...nothing wrong with doing it anyway; you'll just be working as an EIT if you decide to come back into traditional engineering after a few years.

killramos
08-31-2015, 09:12 AM
^ That is an excellent point, something to be brought up in the interview ( not to mention it would make you sound eager and serious).

HiTempguy1
08-31-2015, 09:27 AM
My understanding is not having your peng would seriously dampen your career growth and earnings (having observed many EIT's on this path and the effects having and not having their peng has had).

If you don't have your peng within 5-8 years of graduating, I would argue that is almost universally looked on poorly. At the end of the day, big business is big business, a producer (for instance) isn't going to waive their requirement of say having a peng designation for a position with them if that is what they are asking for.

I'm not saying this is set in stone, but seems to often be the case.

I would also argue for sticking it out, mainly because the market is poor. I am in the exact same position as you, so I've signed up for some economics courses, as well as PAX Prime has really gotten my attention with indie game development of all things, and there is no reason I can't use my personal laptop at work to fiddle with Unity. I've also done quite a bit of c++ and other programming.

My point is, leaverage what you have while trying to stick with the job. I'm holding out for a layoff because of the severance package and I haven't ran across any interesting jobs.

ExtraSlow
08-31-2015, 09:43 AM
There is a time limit on how long you can remain an EIT as well.

killramos
08-31-2015, 09:45 AM

That was something else i was thinking of. Where you have to re-enroll.

Disoblige
08-31-2015, 09:59 AM
EITs can be enrolled for maximum 6 years and request a 2 year extension if necessary.

freshprince1
08-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Similar to other statements, I would advise on sticking it out while considering other options. You are getting paid well, with great benefits, and likely enough time on the side to be seriously looking into other opportunities.

There's some romanticism to throwing up your hands and saying "screw it", but in reality, you're probably more hire-able if you're fully employed at an existing, credible, job. You won't run the risk of anyone considering you for a new role and thinking, "this guy looks good...but why doesn't he have a job? Is there something wrong?".

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I updated my resume, put some feelers out with some recruiters, and made an effort o to network. It resulted in a big step up in my career without having any resume gaps.

I am in your industry, but on the software vendor side.

Good luck!

Feruk
08-31-2015, 02:59 PM
What's the difference if he gets his P. Eng.? It only matters if you want to work in engineering, and you've already said your job bores you and you think other engineering jobs at a producer seem boring too. If you ever decide to go financial, you'll stop practicing engineering and lose it anyway.

IMO, P. Eng. isn't worth much.

g-m
08-31-2015, 04:57 PM
It's still a professional designation. EIT is not. A professional is considered more accountable even if he's not stamping anything. Maybe some people don't but I think it's a widely held view. I certainly do.

Dumbass17
09-01-2015, 08:50 AM
does anyone even like being a P.Eng? everyone i know with it seems to care less and hate their lives haha. I'm happy being a C.E.T. and don't have a desire to be an engineer. Kind of get offended when people say "oh you're JUST a tech? why not get your degree?" :banghead:

XylathaneGTR
09-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Having had mine for three weeks...yeah, it's pretty cool I guess.

Rat Fink
09-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Kloubek
09-01-2015, 09:08 AM
I don't know anything about the field, but take this advice to heart:

Money is great. Ultimately, it's why we generally go to work at all. Benefits too. But at the end of the day, a job is a detriment to your life if you dread it. You spend the better part of your waking life there, so why hate it?

Your situation could very possibly be a "grass is greener on the other side" scenario no matter what you choose. If you stay, you'll wonder what you COULD have gotten, and how you COULD have been happier. If you go, you may wonder why you didn't stay when it was so cushy. The thing is: If you choose the former, you will continue to be unhappy and will always wonder where you could have gone in your career. If you choose the latter it is a risk, but at least you aren't guaranteed to be stuck.

I stayed with a company (completely unrelated field) for fifteen years. Yes, 15. The pay wasn't really very good for the job I was doing, I was worked hard, underappreciated, and also guaranteed movement/advancement that never came. I waited years and years for the advancement, and they kept giving me excuses and promises. So I up and left.

Where I landed actually turned out a really negative experience, and as such I totally started second guessing my leaving that initial company. But after leaving that second company and riding the EI train for 3 months, a month ago I landed a challenging (in a good way) position with amazing benefits, and 50% more pay than the company I worked 15 years for.

In short, settling is for those people with no ambition. And if someone has no ambition and is comfortable with that, all the power. But it sounds like you aren't one of those people, and I would strongly recommend looking elsewhere. Just realise we're not exactly in a sound economy right now so that move might take time before it comes to fruition.

Good luck.

riander5
09-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
does anyone even like being a P.Eng? everyone i know with it seems to care less and hate their lives haha. I'm happy being a C.E.T. and don't have a desire to be an engineer. Kind of get offended when people say "oh you're JUST a tech? why not get your degree?" :banghead:

People living in the jungles in the amazon who have never contacted modern society are probably pretty happy too.

Haha only kidding - ill be getting my P.eng soon but from my experience there is no difference between a good tech and a good eng. That being said it will be nice to have the P for a little extra C ($$)

bjstare
09-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by riander5

People living in the jungles in the amazon who have never contacted modern society are probably pretty happy too.

Haha only kidding - ill be getting my P.eng soon but from my experience there is no difference between a good tech and a good eng. That being said it will be nice to have the P for a little extra C ($$)

I'll be getting mine soon as well.

And RE: there's no diff between a tech and an eng is a true statement - but is entirely contextual. Depending on the situation/role, there is a definite difference. And I'm not saying one is better than the other, just different. If I actually liked engineering, I'd probably be a tech. Less school, still good money.

Given that I don't like actual engineering, I'm glad I'm an eng. Easier to get into a PM role (where I'm at now), and progress into upper management (where I'm going to be).

killramos
09-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Given that I don't like actual engineering, I'm glad I'm an eng. Easier to get into a PM role (where I'm at now), and progress into upper management (where I'm going to be).

True statement that generally reflects my opinions.

vengie
09-01-2015, 10:12 AM

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in labels. I also get the "You're just a tech?!" as well. However I have several engineers that I mentor based on my field experience/ skill sets.

Tech+field experience > and more respected than P.Eng who can read a book.

That being said for the P.Eng who HAVE spent a significant amount of time in the field (>1 year) then you have it made, but from my experience that is very few and far between. Most engineers I have come across have not spent more than their ~1-3 month rotation in the field, nor were they doing ACTUAL field work.

dirtsniffer
09-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Most of the techs I know can't spell definitely.. #flamewar

Xtrema
09-01-2015, 10:54 AM
That being said for the P.Eng who HAVE spent a significant amount of time in the field (>1 year) then you have it made, but from my experience that is very few and far between. Most engineers I have come across have not spent more than their ~1-3 month rotation in the field, nor were they doing ACTUAL field work.

P. Eng is paid on signing authority. Ideally they should know everything top to bottom, in practice, most are too far removed from the ground and the action.

vengie
09-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Ideally

Key word.

Unfortunately not all engineers posses the practical skills to make the most logical decision.

bjstare
09-01-2015, 11:28 AM

Key word.

Unfortunately not all engineers posses the practical skills to make the most logical decision.

This is true.

Alternatively, they have the practical skills/site experience to make the logical decision, but budget/schedule/client constraints prevent them from doing so. TBH, I see this case more often.

killramos
09-01-2015, 11:29 AM

Key word.

And most technologists do?

Not trying to contribute towards a pissing contest but every word of mud you are slinging towards engineers can be equally applied towards many technologists in the industry.

I don't know a single technologist in my company who has extensive field experience.

How about this for a statement:

Different people have different levels of experience, training, intelligence, etc. that ultimately result in different people having varying capabilities of doing their job. Some people are better at their job than others. And there are a lot of underlying factors that go into it.

A P.Eng vs a CET is just a leg up when two people are applying for the same job. CET's also tend to have more of a glass ceiling in industry than engineers do.

bjstare
09-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Cue the classic beyond.ca Tech v Eng debate.

Mibz
09-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Cue the classic beyond.ca Tech v Eng debate. Don't think we've had one in 2015 yet.

Disoblige
09-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Don't think we've had one in 2015 yet.
I think I recall at least a couple this year, mainly because of HiTempguy.

It's like if someone was worried where HiTempguy was or if they needed to contact him, just post on here how Engineers > Techs and you'll reach him in no time. It's his bat signal.

Strangely in this case, he didn't start it :D

ExtraSlow
09-01-2015, 12:06 PM
The good Techs make good money and are as valuable as any Engineer. The difference is that a mediocre P.Eng. has an easier career path than a mediocre Tech.

That P.Eng Designation is no magic bullet, but it can help in a lot of small ways, and when looking for a new job, that can be a big deal.

Tik-Tok
09-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

It's like if someone was worried where HiTempguy was or if they needed to contact him, just post on here how Engineers > Techs and you'll reach him in no time. It's his bat signal.

Also throw an anti public sector sentiment into the thread title.

vengie
09-01-2015, 12:10 PM

And most technologists do?

Not trying to contribute towards a pissing contest but every word of mud you are slinging towards engineers can be equally applied towards many technologists in the industry.

I don't know a single technologist in my company who has extensive field experience.

How about this for a statement:

Different people have different levels of experience, training, intelligence, etc. that ultimately result in different people having varying capabilities of doing their job. Some people are better at their job than others. And there are a lot of underlying factors that go into it.

A P.Eng vs a CET is just a leg up when two people are applying for the same job. CET's also tend to have more of a glass ceiling in industry than engineers do.

I do agree, however the arrogance in the industry that I have experienced generally has engineers looking down on Tech's, which is laughable. I was simply commenting on that gentlemen's post to point out there is no reason to take the "You're just a tech?" to heart... Labels are just that, a label. There are a significant amount of underlying skills that help determine a person's competencies.

It just so happens, in MY experience, a technologist is more suited to excel in my field of work due to certain skill sets involved. That being said, we have some eng summer students who just left who are absolutely amazing! We will be looking to hire them up full time at the end of their degree.

Feruk
09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
I'll bite...

Techs and engineers are on par for production/completions/drilling jobs. No doubt about it.

When you get into more complex stuff (reservoir, exploitation, facilities, long term planning), techs aren't competitive. Nobody hires them for these positions except to do bitch work for engineers... When you get into middle/upper management, there's rarely techs there.

If you're a tech, you'll be paid less, and have almost no chance to advance very high. It's got nothing to do with your skill level or personality, but it's the reality in Calgary.

To be clear, I'm generalizing. I'm sure there are some examples where so-and-so at some small junior company got higher, or so-and-so with 50 years experience did well for themselves, but that's not typical.

Dumbass17
09-01-2015, 12:36 PM
I'll bite...

Techs and engineers are on par for production/completions/drilling jobs. No doubt about it.

When you get into more complex stuff (reservoir, exploitation, facilities, long term planning), techs aren't competitive. Nobody hires them for these positions except to do bitch work for engineers... When you get into middle/upper management, there's rarely techs there.

If you're a tech, you'll be paid less, and have almost no chance to advance very high. It's got nothing to do with your skill level or personality, but it's the reality in Calgary.

To be clear, I'm generalizing. I'm sure there are some examples where so-and-so at some small junior company got higher, or so-and-so with 50 years experience did well for themselves, but that's not typical.
I think your first statement depends on the industry...

Meh, to each his own.
I am a tech and I'm half field / half office, which is what I like. I have lots to learn but I like that.

Feruk
09-01-2015, 12:55 PM
I think your first statement depends on the industry...
I'm speaking strictly O&G industry. I know nothing about the difference outside O&G.

Cos
09-01-2015, 01:24 PM

sneek
09-01-2015, 11:20 PM

A friend of mine is doing something similar right now. He is applying for jobs every morning and then going on a website call Fiverr doing Data Entry and Excel work for $5 :rofl:. His company is super slow and he is expecting to get laid off pretty soon so he wants to save up as much money as possible to weather out the slowdown. I would probably do the same though...I would go crazy if I had nothing to do all day but had to show up to the office.

killramos
09-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Back to the OP, I actually had a girl at work send this to me today. I found it quite insightful actually and I recognize a lot of me and/or my guys in this piece. It is definitely written towards women so it is a little weird in that sense but the point is pretty solid I find. After reading it a lot of what has been said in this thread resonates here as well.

http://brightside.me/article/why-generation-y-is-unhappy-11105/

lol that is almost insulting :rofl:

bbbbbut i am special right?!?!?1

ExtraSlow
09-02-2015, 07:58 AM
It should be insulting.

killramos
09-02-2015, 08:02 AM
^ So i'm not the only one who took that as:

"You aren't special so stop whining about disliking your job and keep grinding away at it forever and be thankful for what you have because that's what tougher people who lived through the depression would have done."

:rolleyes:

Cos
09-02-2015, 08:07 AM

killramos
09-02-2015, 08:09 AM
lol k :thumbsup:

Mibz
09-02-2015, 08:12 AM
I'd be curious to know how many people are actually unhappy.

"Study finds that 100% of twenty-somethings are unhappy after being asked 'Have you ever been sad in the last 5 years?'"
"Scientists discover that literally nobody is happy after asking 'Would you be perfectly content to die this minute?'"
"Poll of passing cyclists: Calgarians overwhelmingly in favour of bicycle lanes"

Big difference between wanting a new job and being generally unhappy. Or wanting more than you have and being unfulfilled.

Originally posted by Cos
early 20's, myself included lol

Cos
09-02-2015, 08:25 AM

HiTempguy1
09-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

I think I recall at least a couple this year, mainly because of HiTempguy.

Strangely in this case, he didn't start it :D

I came to post this, and somebody beat me to the punch :rofl: As mentioned, I've been in Seattle, so I didn't really have time to start the shitshow :guns:

Surprisingly enough, killramos, while we disagree with each other a lot, actually gets it. Whoda thunk? :dunno:

And finally, FUCKING ENGINEERS :banghead:

killramos
09-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Well the follow up to this thread about 30 days after I started it. Took a lot of guys advice on here and made some pushes for change both internally and externally.

Needless to say I am starting in a new role, new department, new manager effective Monday. Sticking with my company.

Had my SVP come into my office today saying he had considered things i have said to both him and my immediate superior over the past year and recently. Asked if i was interested in filling a position that they really need filled very short term ( mat leave) and i gave a definite YES.

I am pretty ecstatic, new role is a million times busier ( I think, if anything there will be a learning curve associated) and 180 degree turn ( as much as you really can being an engineer in O&G). It really is in no uncertain terms a promotion to me. As such i won't be making my 150 post weeks any more :rofl:

See you on the other side boys! Thanks for all the help and advice! :thumbsup:

:D