PDA

View Full Version : A+ certification

Boosted131
08-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Who here has done an A+ cert course?
Is there one I can take online? I know mostly all of it, just haven't done the actual test.

firebane
08-31-2015, 02:33 PM
All tests are done at a center. Best one for Calgary is Failsafe up in the NE. There is a location in downtown that does it but their scheduling is wonky.

Also I hope you have some actual relevant experience because questions get asked you would need some experience to know.

Boosted131
08-31-2015, 05:48 PM
I've worked in I.T for 5 years. After getting laid off , lots of positions ask for A+ which I never bothered getting .

The_Penguin
08-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
I've worked in I.T for 5 years. After getting laid off , lots of positions ask for A+ which I never bothered getting .

In over 30 years, I've had one potential employer ask.
I explained that first, I'm several levels about that in both knowledge and experience. And second it's a piece of paper and doesn't prove whether someone has the knowledge/experience vs. memorized material for a test. I got an unexpected "that was a great answer" and a job offer.

firebane
08-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

In over 30 years, I've had one potential employer ask.
I explained that first, I'm several levels about that in both knowledge and experience. And second it's a piece of paper and doesn't prove whether someone has the knowledge/experience vs. memorized material for a test. I got an unexpected "that was a great answer" and a job offer.

The problem is some places do need you to have it because of OEM standards. For example where I work Lenovo will not let you "technically" work on their systems as a technician because the lack of A+ training.

So yes while most places can get away with it others cannot and it is invaluable albeit being a joke and a large cost of money to get.

Boosted131
09-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Half the jobs im looking at are now saying "required" A+
So I really need to go get it.

Boosted131
09-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Where can I get some practice /refresher before I take the test for this?

firebane
09-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Where can I get some practice /refresher before I take the test for this?

Lots of 801/802 stuff online. But there isn't much in the way of the actual dos command stuff they throw at you and such.

SmAcKpOo
09-04-2015, 02:50 PM
A+ is such a joke.

revelations
09-04-2015, 02:56 PM
^ maybe, but for the average HR person it might mean the same as a basic test in any industry.

Boosted131
09-06-2015, 08:31 AM
It seems to be the difference between getting a job and not getting one. Seems to be half the company's wanting a+ now that I'm applying for.

firebane
09-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
A+ is such a joke.

While it maybe a joke the company I work for requires it for the techs and I've known many of the techs working to fail it.

Everyone thinks you can just read the books and take some fake tests and pass and people are finding out this is a $300 mistake.

Boosted131
09-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by firebane

While it maybe a joke the company I work for requires it for the techs and I've known many of the techs working to fail it.

Everyone thinks you can just read the books and take some fake tests and pass and people are finding out this is a $300 mistake.
Wish I knew what was on the test... We did the A+ stuff in school 5 years ago, but I never did the test for it.

jacky4566
09-08-2015, 09:02 AM
If you have industry experience A+ should be a cake walk. Go buy a book from Chapters and brush up if you are really worried.

When I did it the questions were very easy. Why is it important to be grounded. What is a PCI bus. How many bits in a nibble. Who is bill gates? LOL

Let us know how it works out for ya.

SmAcKpOo
09-10-2015, 02:00 PM
^ really? Have you once ever used a grounding strap? When I did helpdesk years ago, we made fun of people who used them (it was usually the neckbeards).

RNB11
09-10-2015, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
^ really? Have you once ever used a grounding strap? When I did helpdesk years ago, we made fun of people who used them (it was usually the neckbeards).

He's simply stating what kind of questions are on the test.