PDA

View Full Version : Parking questions

natty54
08-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Just trying to see what my next move is for parking options with neighbors. I have people constantly parking in front of my driveway. The house is an infill so it was empty for a bit but now I am living there full time and have left notes but I always get some random car that blocks it.

What do you think call CPA?

Additionally question about a particular commercial van. I thought they were not allowed to be parked on the street?

I did find this from 2011: So from the basis I am sol on that route? van is Chevrolet 1500 cube van

Q: I use my truck for work. Can I bring it home
at night?
A: You may park on the street at any time if the registered
maximum weight of your vehicle (such as a van) is less than
4,500 kg. If the maximum weight of your vehicle is more
than 4,500 kg but less than 5,450 kg, you can park at your
residence without a permit during the day from 8:00 a.m.
until 8:00 p.m. However, if you reside in a Residential Parking
Zone (RPZ), no Residential Parking Permits are available for any
vehicle with a maximum weight exceeding 4,500 kg.
If your truck weighs more than 4,500 kg and is parked outside
your residence after 8:00 p.m. and before 8:00 a.m., you may
be fined under the Calgary Traffic Bylaw 26M96.
Trucks with a maximum weight in excess of 5,450 kg may
park at a residence only to make a delivery (e.g., furniture) or
supply a service (e.g., landscaping)

Sugarphreak
08-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Type_S1
08-31-2015, 05:43 PM
Ask them to stop politely as you now live there. If it keeps happening get 6 of your biggest friends and push the car into the middle of the road. It will be towed in no time.

Star1995
08-31-2015, 06:03 PM
I had the exact same problem, called CPA but they take too long to respond, talked to the neighbour in question to no avail, after the talk things got worse where they would park there and curse me out for asking them to move. Finally after about three years of on and off I think the problem is solved. I called my alderman who did't want to touch it but he did recommend talking to the CLO officer at the local police district. I talked to him and he told me take pictures of the cars and he'll have a chat with the neighbour, if things don't change he'd start writing tickets.

No problems since he paid them a visit, so far it's been over two months with no problems. If the problem reappears my next move is to take a day off work and ensure that the neighbour will be late for work by blocking his driveway. There is a free mediator that you can contact and they will set up a meeting with you and the neighbour to talk about the problem.

I would start with calling CPA and if you're lucky they'll arrive in time but don't count on it. One time CPA showed up and they drove by three times before stopping half a block away, they called me and by that time the driver must have seen them so they moved their car. CPA is useless unless they can get in and out with nobody seeing them.

AE92_TreunoSC
08-31-2015, 09:53 PM
I had the problem for over a year with various contractors.

My rule is ask /politely or firmly the first time, ticket the second time, tow the third.

If you can't access your property you can tow them by law.

FraserB
09-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Ask them politely once and once only. Then start calling the CPA and the police.

killramos
09-01-2015, 06:46 AM
I would definitely start collecting plate numbers. For commercial trucks i would be calling their place of business and telling them that your next phone call is to 311 for a ticket. Most of these vans aren't owned by the drivers and the businesses don't want 3 digit tickets for something their incompetent employee is doing.

If the problem is as pervasive as you say i would definitely start going 100% the first time, people need to learn. And the only way they will learn is when it hits their wallets. You could also go to princess auto and pick up a no parking sign for a bit to make sure people get the message?

schocker
09-01-2015, 08:16 AM
Just call CPA especially if they are blocking your driveway.

rage2
09-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Wait, people are blocking your driveway so that you can't even leave for work? Or are we talking about the front of their vans slightly protruding onto where your driveway starts but you can drive around them?

blairtruck
09-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Wait, people are blocking your driveway so that you can't even leave for work? Or are we talking about the front of their vans slightly protruding onto where your driveway starts but you can drive around them?

Both unacceptable.

natty54
09-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys I left a note yesterday and seem to fix it for now. But someone else parked there earlier and I called CPA but time they got there car was gone.

Originally posted by rage2

And yes its fully blocked so I can't use it when I want to. I have been unable to park there for awhile lol :banghead:

Xtrema
09-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Call CPA for a tow, you can't block access, period.

Street parking on the other hand is not yours. They can park for 72hrs.

Start chatting up other neighbours and may be looking into setting the block into permit zone. So everyone only get 2 visitor tags and the best of all, no commercial vehicle as permit only allocated to cars registered under house owner's name, not businesses.

Env-Consultant
09-01-2015, 09:24 PM
3:00 a.m. Tow hook. Drag into middle of the street. Point made. Who the fuck parks in front of a driveway? Honestly, if someone did that at my place I'd drive across my lawn and through the shrubs, hook up, and drag. Inconsiderate, entitled fuck deserves it.

killramos
09-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Call CPA for a tow, you can't block access, period.

Street parking on the other hand is not yours. They can park for 72hrs.

Start chatting up other neighbours and may be looking into setting the block into permit zone. So everyone only get 2 visitor tags and the best of all, no commercial vehicle as permit only allocated to cars registered under house owner's name, not businesses.

Yea and the problem with that is that owners can get as many tags as they want i think ( above 1 or 2 owners tags its 150 bucks a year/car ). Which also exempts them from the 72 hour rule meaning they can pay 150 bucks to leave their car there 365 days a year without moving it.

Also i don't know about you but i have people over often enough that bring more than 2 cars with them. We used to have to pull our cars out of the garage and let guests park in there over the course of the night to avoid tickets.

I doubt CPA is going to put in a permit parking zone over a few contractors parking in driveways.

The only places they do permit parking is where they are concerned about people parking in neighborhoods to access Transit, Businesses, Events, Work, etc.

Also like i said, Plates and Pictures. If there is someone repeatedly doing it, it gives CPA more ammo ( they have to be able to justify their tickets in court after all ).

A2VR6
09-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by killramos

Yea and the problem with that is that owners can get as many tags as they want i think ( above 1 or 2 owners tags its 150 bucks a year/car ). Which also exempts them from the 72 hour rule meaning they can pay 150 bucks to leave their car there 365 days a year without moving it.

This is correct. As long as you are the registered owner and can prove you live there for $50/yr you can get as many additional tags as you want.