PDA

View Full Version : Crowchild @ 24th Ave. NW Construction

rage2
09-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Crowchild by McMahon has been fucked the last 2 days from the construction, yesterday Crowchild northbound was backed up all the way to Glenmore reservoir, which was insane. Figured it's lane reductions while they work on the sidewalks there, so I've been avoiding it all week. Decided to take it this morning to see WTF is going on. At 7am, it was already backed up to Shaganappi Trail.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/4C6F71D3-7935-455B-BD5D-30C08C0E8BE7.png_zpsez3wgzjm.jpeg

Turns out, there's no lane closures. They've knocked the power out working on those lights, and it reset to default timing. The green light lasts 30 seconds, so only 50 or so cars get through every green, then it stays red for another minute as it gives green to 24th Ave, as well as the turn lanes in all directions.

How ghetto is our traffic system where it doesn't even save traffic timing settings during a power loss? The same thing happened to all the downtown lights after the floods, and that took 2 years before it's all timed properly again.

I'm surprised that they just left it like that for over 2 days now, and nobody has gone out to reprogram it to fix the problem. It's wasting so many people's time as they're stuck in traffic for hours because of this issue.

killramos
09-02-2015, 07:42 AM
:rofl:

I blame nenshi! You know if something was affecting the bike lane lights they would be fixed same day!

Mibz
09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by rage2
How ghetto is our traffic system Rhetorical, right?

GQBalla
09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
got caught in it last friday around 11:30 pm, 15 minute wait from just after brentwood headed south

Saturday at 8:15 am 20 minute wait after brentwood (shut down to one lane)

ive been taking south bound since monday, at 6:08 am ish it has been okay, but yes the lights are shorter, thought it was just me.

Good thing i don't take it northbound

rage2
09-02-2015, 07:48 AM
There's been a couple reports on the 311 app already. I left a detailed report there from this morning. We'll see if they actually address it or not.

lilmira
09-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Today is the worst ever!!!!

jwslam
09-02-2015, 08:01 AM
I'm surprised that they just left it like that for over 2 days now, and nobody has gone out to reprogram it to fix the problem. It's wasting so many people's time as they're stuck in traffic for hours because of this issue.
Do you know how many fucking red lights I sit at wondering "if someone set this up properly, we'd save SO much gas and emmissions"?
Every red I arrive at, no cars are going perpendicular. When I finally get my green, there's 10 cars piling up perpendicular waiting for just me to cross.

nzwasp
09-02-2015, 08:03 AM
I drove through their on the weekend and it wasn't too bad, at that time they had cops directing traffic as they were working on some power part of it. Then I drove it again at lunch time yesterday and it was backed up to 40th ave. Took 30 mins just to get through it.

rage2
09-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I drove through their on the weekend and it wasn't too bad, at that time they had cops directing traffic as they were working on some power part of it. Then I drove it again at lunch time yesterday and it was backed up to 40th ave. Took 30 mins just to get through it.
Yea, it's that weekend powerloss that's totally fucked everything up.

Looking at the 311 complaints, it looks like 24th Ave is pretty messed too for anyone turning left onto Crowchild, as the defaults are set to turn on controlled turn signal only, so only 3-4 cars get through. It used to be a solid green for the turns. Since nobody goes straight on 24th, it just sits on green for 30 seconds, and red for the turns lol.

I wonder what those defaults are set for, 1981 traffic patterns? :rofl:

schocker
09-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Yeah, wtf, I took it yesterday and it was OK, didn't stop until just after uofc train station. Took it this morning 10mins earlier (7:30) and was backed up at shag. and cut through brentwood instead of waiting.

The other direction on the way home I have been avoiding because there were no lanes closed but everyone was slamming on the brakes. Doesn't help that the 14th northbound from 16th ave is closed also with no warning.

I wonder what those defaults are set for, 1981 traffic patterns? :rofl:
Maximum rated capacity of the crowchild bow river bridge :rofl:

mazdavirgin
09-02-2015, 08:15 AM
You all should be using the cycle track because cars are bad mmmkay? This is part of traffic calming. Too many people drive on crowchild so if we make things awful people will ride their bikes to work! :thumbsup:

94CoRd
09-02-2015, 08:20 AM
I thought it was all the kids / parents getting back in to the school routine. I've always avoided Crow / 24th in the morning - but looks like I'll be avoiding it going North as well. Can someone let us know when the light timings get back to normal :D

Tarrantula
09-02-2015, 08:47 AM
You northerners think you have it so bad. Glenmore has been fucked for months now with all the bridge rehab. Its always a slowdown. Worst part is I have to drive from Riverbend to Crowchild Twin to play hockey so I hit both sets of construction :(

spike98
09-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Today is the worst ever!!!!

I agree. Monday and Tuesday weren't too bad but today was bonkers. It took me half an hour to get from the brentwood LRT to the memorial exit.

danno
09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't know anything about this, but it's probably a detour a engineer put in. If it's not what it normally is, there is no such thing as default timings. I went through it once and there was construction going on so a detour timing makes the most sense. Is there no more construction up there?

rage2
09-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by danno
I don't know anything about this, but it's probably a detour a engineer put in. If it's not what it normally is, there is no such thing as default timings. I went through it once and there was construction going on so a detour timing makes the most sense. Is there no more construction up there?
It's not a detour. They're rebuilding the crosswalks from what I could tell this weekend. There's literally zero change to any lanes.

They only closed lanes on the weekend for the dump truck parking.

edit - it's not even listed as a construction project.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Road-projects/Road-projects.aspx

Xtrema
09-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Been biking last 2 days and glad to have avoided this shit show.

yellowsnow
09-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Been biking last 2 days and glad to have avoided this shit show.

Nenshi's plan is working!:eek:

danno
09-02-2015, 04:33 PM

It's not a detour. They're rebuilding the crosswalks from what I could tell this weekend. There's literally zero change to any lanes.

They only closed lanes on the weekend for the dump truck parking.

edit - it's not even listed as a construction project.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Road-projects/Road-projects.aspx
We call them detours or timing change (any temporary change of the pattern). I have no idea if they need them there but that's my assumption to keep the workers safe and pedestrians safe. When we enter the timing change for a construction job it will have a end date and will automatically revert back to what it was. So if there is construction there expect the pattern to stay the same. Again this is a assumption, I'm doing lrt signals for this year. Maybe next year I'll be back in traffic signals.

rage2
09-02-2015, 04:50 PM
We call them detours or timing change (any temporary change of the pattern). I have no idea if they need them there but that's my assumption to keep the workers safe and pedestrians safe. When we enter the timing change for a construction job it will have a end date and will automatically revert back to what it was. So if there is construction there expect the pattern to stay the same. Again this is a assumption, I'm doing lrt signals for this year. Maybe next year I'll be back in traffic signals.
Whatever it is, it's a screwup. No workers there this morning. Dunno about yesterday, I drove around it. My 311 case got closed, timing is fixed and regular amounts of traffic through there this afternoon. :clap:

danno
09-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Sounds like it worked out well then. They try and be proactive and 9/10 they make it worse by changing the timings. I know it's painful dealing with 311, maybe next year I'll be in that department and you guys can complain to me.

We have 2 shifts of guys on trouble from 5:30-till midnight is what they work. And we are on call on weekends. Same with the lrt department. We do our best to solve the problems as efficency as possible but sometimes electronics fail and it takes awhile to trouble shoot. Lrt is harder because each line has a different system from a different generation. Stuff from the 80's till now.

Nitro5
09-02-2015, 06:30 PM
There's been a couple reports on the 311 app already. I left a detailed report there from this morning. We'll see if they actually address it or not.

They listened to you. Crow child will be completely closed over the long weekend.

http://globalnews.ca/video/2200603/flanders-avenue-crowchild-overpass-set-to-be-demolished-labour-day

rage2
09-02-2015, 06:36 PM
I know it's painful dealing with 311, maybe next year I'll be in that department and you guys can complain to me.
It was actually really easy with 311. But hey, if you do make it over to that department, I'm sure I speak for all Beyonders that we'll be happy to have someone to complain to directly. Or at least get some feedback from our 311 tickets. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Nitro5
They listened to you. Crow child will be completely closed over the long weekend.

http://globalnews.ca/video/2200603/flanders-avenue-crowchild-overpass-set-to-be-demolished-labour-day
Huh? Wrong part of Crowchild haha.

And still hilarious that it takes 13 months to put up a new bridge, when it's a routine weekend or 2 job in the States lol.

schocker
09-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Was this fixed for real though. Took me 5+ mins and a few light cycles at 7:45 pm to go from that stop sign by pop eyes across 24th ave :whipped:

s dime
09-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Not fixed this morning unfortunately

rage2
09-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Weird. Haven't drove through there yet but Google is showing all clear right now.

lilmira
09-03-2015, 07:20 AM
I left about 10min earlier than usually, got through there no problem, dunno if it's just the people yesterday.

rage2
09-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Gf drove through 10 mins ago, timing is definitely longer than yesterday. Lots more cars going through each green now. Traffic is only backed up to University C-Train station, which is normal for morning rush hour.

schocker
09-03-2015, 08:58 AM
^^I drove through at 7:45 and wasn't backed up at all today, straight through with no stops from sarcee to motel village secret shortcut. :burnout:

suntan
09-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Well once the right most lane is converted to a bike lane everything should be better.

;)