PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS F?

Gripenfelter
09-04-2015, 09:25 AM
My neighbour has a 2008 which I absolutely love but I heard that the 2011s were much more refined with a revised front suspension to reduce under steer.

I never keep any of my cars stock so this would have headers and exhaust as well.

So questions:

What does Series 1 and Series 2 mean?

Anything I should watch for when looking at a 2011?

Am I wasting money getting a 2011 instead of a 2008? I found a super low mileage 2008 for $35000 vs $47000 for a 2011.

What else can you school me on in regards to these cars?

JRSC00LUDE
09-04-2015, 09:28 AM
Just given that you can find a super low miled older one for 12K less and have no intention of keeping it stock, I would assume that the extra 10K can make the 08 superior in any way that matters when it comes to handling, etc. No? Then it'll be just how you like it!

ExtraSlow
09-04-2015, 09:35 AM
My brother just bought a 2015. Haven't driven it yet, seem pretty quick, but man, that's a little guys car. My child-bearing hips are snug in that seat, and my knees are all over the place.

huch
09-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
My brother just bought a 2015. Haven't driven it yet, seem pretty quick, but man, that's a little guys car. My child-bearing hips are snug in that seat, and my knees are all over the place.

A 2015 IS F?

I thought they stopped making these?

Shlade
09-04-2015, 10:02 AM
They did

A2VR6
09-04-2015, 10:06 AM
The ride quality is horrible in the pre 2011 cars when compared to the 2011+ Other than the revised suspension the 2011+ cars came with LSD where as the 2008-2009 cars didnt (2010 had the LSD with the old suspension as well).

Series 1 and Series 2 are just packages if i recall correctly. Series 1 had no NAV / parking sensors and backup cam / 6 disc changer where as Series 2 came with everything.

Shlade
09-04-2015, 10:13 AM
How are they in terms of power and how they move out? Looks like a pretty big car just curious if the thing actually has some go.

Only thing that sort of scares me with them is how cramped up they are in the motor... Can't really get to anything which leads me to believe that repair costs on them could be pricey

ExtraSlow
09-04-2015, 10:16 AM
I don't know, Maybe it's an F-Sport. Is that different? Maybe I'll just go back to the EcoBoost thread now . . . .

vengie
09-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
How are they in terms of power and how they move out? Looks like a pretty big car just curious if the thing actually has some go.

Only thing that sort of scares me with them is how cramped up they are in the motor... Can't really get to anything which leads me to believe that repair costs on them could be pricey

0-60 in 4.3 seconds, 419hp 371ft/lbs.

Seems decent to me.

navdeep
09-04-2015, 10:22 AM

Gripenfelter
09-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
The ride quality is horrible in the pre 2011 cars when compared to the 2011+ Other than the revised suspension the 2011+ cars came with LSD where as the 2008-2009 cars didnt (2010 had the LSD with the old suspension as well).

Series 1 and Series 2 are just packages if i recall correctly. Series 1 had no NAV / parking sensors and backup cam / 6 disc changer where as Series 2 came with everything.

Ok good to know because the LSD was a MUST HAVE for me. The front suspension...I wonder what they offer in the aftermarket to make it lighter?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I don't know, Maybe it's an F-Sport. Is that different? Maybe I'll just go back to the EcoBoost thread now . . . .

Yeah he has the F sport. The IS F is gone and they replaced it with the 2 door RCF which is heavier and no faster than the IS F.

klumsy_tumbler
09-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter

Ok good to know because the LSD was a MUST HAVE for me. The front suspension...I wonder what they offer in the aftermarket to make it lighter?

Yeah, you'll want to look at 2010+. I've driven a 2008, a 2010, and a 2012. I found very little difference between the '10 and '12. The Series 2 package was all about the nav, backup cam, and Mark Levinson (which is one of the few systems that's worth the extra cost, if you ask me). If you're planning to switch out the head unit and such, then I don't think it would be a huge value-add for you.

There seems to be a lot more selection lately than when I was looking earlier this year, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to find one that you like.

Gripenfelter
09-04-2015, 02:12 PM
I want a Matador Mica (red) one.

Haven't seen any in Canada.

danno
09-04-2015, 02:24 PM
i cross shopped this and the rs4, isf didn't have the interior space i needed for car seats. great sound out of it though, and fairly cheap in comparison to the m3 and c63. But in the long run the m3 and c63 are probably the better cars to buy.

Gripenfelter
09-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by danno
i cross shopped this and the rs4, isf didn't have the interior space i needed for car seats. great sound out of it though, and fairly cheap in comparison to the m3 and c63. But in the long run the m3 and c63 are probably the better cars to buy.

http://www.jacobregarlaw.com/Blog/2013/February/Update-Mercedes-Benz-AMG-Class-Action-for-the-M1.aspx

The M156 engine's alleged defects include defective camshaft adjusters and the engine's camshaft lobes made of iron are incompatible – through extended use – with the engine's valve lifters, which are made of harder steel.

M156's have long been known to be noisy engines on start-up because of the allegedly defective design of the engine's valve lifters, also known as valve buckets. As explained by Marcus Fitzhugh's on his website, Mercedes Benz and other related hobbies, one of the problems with the defective lifters has to do with something called bleed down. This occurs when the engine is shut off and oil bleeds down from the lifters, creating a space between the camshaft lobes and the lifters. When the engine is started up, oil is missing from the space between the cam lobes and lifters, and friction can cause premature wear of the softer cam lobes and [puncturing of the harder lifters]. Fitzhugh, Marcus Blair. "The Mercedes Benz AMG 63 V8." Mercedes Benz and other related hobbies. 2007 (2012 Addendum) http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html

According to Fitzhugh, the lifters have since been improved [by Mercedes Benz performance wing AMG]. A newer version, used in the more advanced AMG engine called the M159 (which is built in the SLS AMG) reduces bleed down when the engine is off, thus reducing the chance of premature wear in the valve train when the engine is restarted.

revelations
09-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by danno

:werd: I was unimpressed by the ISF bland interior design and lack of space. Still - nice car.

Gripenfelter
09-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Hmmm...maybe I should just get a 2009+ 556 hp CTS-V instead.

never
09-05-2015, 08:21 AM

If you do, get one with the Recaros. The non-Recaro seats suck and shouldn't be in a performance oriented car.

90_Shelby
09-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Do it! :hitit:

Team_Mclaren
09-05-2015, 11:57 PM
M3 > C63 > CTS-V > IS-F
IMO

bjstare
09-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
M3 > C63 > CTS-V > IS-F
IMO

I'd agree with this.

Having said that, the IS-F is the only one I would be 100% not scared of owning outside of warranty, and that counts for something.

SR54RNR
09-07-2015, 07:20 AM
I have a 2008 ISF, I bought it to use as a 4-season daily driver, and it's been flawless for the year I've had it so far. would recommend for sure as a daily driver

Ymerej472008
09-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Ive owned two ISF's, one 2011 and one 2012...I would never buy the first gen ISF, the cluster is different, suspension changes (spring rates etc.), alignment changes, Nav system update, button arrangement has changed, mechanical LSD, headlights changed... the physical changes make the 2nd gen ISF's much faster through corner's, not that it matters all that much.

Maybe Im just a fanboy but there is virtually zero known or documented issues with the ISF aside from early cars (2008, 2009) that were prone to the water pump sweating coolant and fuel pressure sensor leak, although the gasket has only been known to degrade and majority of owners are reporting that it looks factory new even past 100,000 miles.

I cross shopped the M3 and the C63 but maintenance costs and reliability problems scared me off. I personally know multiple people who have had headgasket and valvetrain problems with their AMG's although it could be specific to those model years, and my info could be misleading.

Anyways ClubLexus is always a good starting point, this thread gives an example of some high mileage ISF's that have had zero unexpected issues...even in the range of 140,000 MILES, although every manufacturer will have lemons.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/567370-highest-mileage-on-the-isf-17.html

Also, this car is not built for larger or taller people. Im 6'2 and just shy of 200lbs and I often throw out half drank beverages because Im too tall to tilt the can in the car, I just tell passengers Redbull is bad for you so I only drink half of em.

3nergiz3d
09-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Ymerej472008
Ive owned two ISF's, one 2011 and one 2012...I would never buy the first gen ISF, the cluster is different, suspension changes (spring rates etc.), alignment changes, Nav system update, button arrangement has changed, mechanical LSD, headlights changed... the physical changes make the 2nd gen ISF's much faster through corner's, not that it matters all that much.

Maybe Im just a fanboy but there is virtually zero known or documented issues with the ISF aside from early cars (2008, 2009) that were prone to the water pump sweating coolant and fuel pressure sensor leak, although the gasket has only been known to degrade and majority of owners are reporting that it looks factory new even past 100,000 miles.

I cross shopped the M3 and the C63 but maintenance costs and reliability problems scared me off. I personally know multiple people who have had headgasket and valvetrain problems with their AMG's although it could be specific to those model years, and my info could be misleading.

Anyways ClubLexus is always a good starting point, this thread gives an example of some high mileage ISF's that have had zero unexpected issues...even in the range of 140,000 MILES, although every manufacturer will have lemons.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/567370-highest-mileage-on-the-isf-17.html

Also, this car is not built for larger or taller people. Im 6'2 and just shy of 200lbs and I often throw out half drank beverages because Im too tall to tilt the can in the car, I just tell passengers Redbull is bad for you so I only drink half of em.

Agreed with all the points Ymerej472008 pointed out.

Also, please be aware that there are no ECU flashes available if you're looking down that route. The usual upgrades are Intake/header/Exhaust, and possibly NOS.