PDA

View Full Version : lake front properties in Calgary...opinions

Buster
09-05-2015, 04:13 PM
I think I've talked about this in another thread....

We're moving to the south side due to work issues and the desire to add a 4th bedroom.

I don't really like the SE, but would consider a property on the lake.

Is living on one of these "Fake lakes" worthwhile?

Is it a gimmick? A novelty?

Is it worth the price difference to a 1st lake access?

Are these things just big ponds with weeds in them?

JordanLotoski
09-05-2015, 07:33 PM
I have this one listed now, its probably one of the better prices on a product like this.

I can get him to offer a "Beyond" incentive as well

http://matrix.crebtools.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?ID=363459134

http://s3.amazonaws.com/mrp-listings/3/3/2/51161233/97acb753c3a34cbf15a2a8e92f31abfe.jpeg

Buster
09-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Jordan, that house looks awesome!

But I need 4 up (3 kids...) and a triple car.

jwslam
09-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Buster

There's no doubt from anyone on beyond that Jordan will be able to find you something.

JordanLotoski
09-06-2015, 01:37 PM

You could turn the bonus room into a 4th bedroom, the garage will accommodate a lift.

Here is whats currently listed as far as lake property goes.
http://matrix.crebtools.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?ID=364091869

Another option is you could build. There are some great lots in Mahogany, I work with clients on new builds as well. Have 3-4 beyond homes I am working on as we speak.

:thumbsup:

03ozwhip
09-06-2015, 01:42 PM

Are any of the kids old enough for a basement room? Because generally speaking, 4 bedrooms up is pretty rare unless it's a huge bungalow.

Obviously I say this because you could always get a house with a developed basement for the oldest kid, or, like Jordan said, build.

gwill
09-06-2015, 02:42 PM
4 bedrooms up is actually quite common with builders.

macman64
09-06-2015, 06:41 PM
If you don't think you would use the lake you could instead try to find something that faces a large greenspace such as overlooking the river valley.

Buster
09-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Any problems with geese shitting on lawns?

03ozwhip
09-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by gwill
4 bedrooms up is actually quite common with builders.

Not that I've seen. All of the houses I've looked at and have looked at floor plans on for building, all have either been 2 up or 3 up, with the majority being 3 and not even one being 4.

Might be because I'm not looking in calgary, but still, that's very rare to come by out here.

s2k_boi
09-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

Not that I've seen. All of the houses I've looked at and have looked at floor plans on for building, all have either been 2 up or 3 up, with the majority being 3 and not even one being 4.

Might be because I'm not looking in calgary, but still, that's very rare to come by out here.

Almost all of the move up / reserve collection in mahogany are 4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms with the option of a 4th.

Buster
09-06-2015, 08:12 PM
I have never had a problem getting a builder to agree to a 4th bedroom when asked. Most people aren't interested, because most people aren't dumb like us and have a 3rd kid. lol

Buster
09-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Also:

How does Auburn Bay compare to Mahogany in terms of quality, etc?

Is one a higher end community?

Darkane
09-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Lol guys. 03 is saying bungalows. You guys are comparing two stories.

03ozwhip
09-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi

Almost all of the move up / reserve collection in mahogany are 4 bedrooms or 3 bedrooms with the option of a 4th.

I'm actually talking 4 bedroom 2 storeys, like I said they will more often than not, build 3 bedrooms up, then develop the basement with the 4th.

Obviously if you go to a builder and ask to build a house with 4 up, that wouldn't be an issue, but finding one already built like that Will be a very difficult find I think.

4 bedroom up bungalows, ya you might find one easier, but the house would have to be huge, or the rooms small as fuck. Take Phreaks house for example(sorry phreak lol) the bungalow is massive at 1800 sqf, very well could have had 4 bedrooms up without issue, but they built 2, which again, is just more common, albeit I don't like a house with 2 bedrooms, that's what they wanted for whatever silly reason lol, again, sorry phreak, the only example I had at the moment.

s2k_boi
09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Sorry. My bad. Skimmed it and 03ozwhip is right that bungalows don't really have a 4 bedroom up option.

JordanLotoski
09-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Also:

Mahogany All day long, AC's are much higher. much nicer community.

avishal26
09-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Mahogany All day long, AC's are much higher. much nicer community.

True.

And ACs make the community look much more upscale just by driving through it and makes the community more desirable.

We took a drive through some of Okotoks communities and were surprised by the low end AC's etc that made the communities seem a bit cheaper.

Buster
09-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Uh... What does Ac stand for?

lint
09-07-2015, 12:16 PM
architectural controls

InRich
09-07-2015, 01:03 PM
AC = Air Conditioners

403ep3
09-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by InRich
AC = Air Conditioners

:nut:

Cos
09-07-2015, 02:00 PM

JordanLotoski
09-07-2015, 02:52 PM
Uh... What does Ac stand for?

Take a drive through Copperfield then Mahogany, You will see a vast difference (Copperfield has very low AC's)

roopi
09-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Also:

I'm in Mahogany and looked at Auburn Bay as well. As Jordan said drive through the communities and you'll see which is nicer. More lake amenities as well. You do pay more for them per year but if you're building on the lake that shouldn't even be an issue.

Buster
09-07-2015, 04:25 PM
How would mahogany compare to Mckenzie Lake?

JordanLotoski
09-07-2015, 04:28 PM
How would mahogany compare to Mckenzie Lake?

McKenzie lake is a great community, just older homes that may require a renovation. Price point in Mahogany will be a little better as well.

Buster
09-07-2015, 07:28 PM

McKenzie lake is a great community, just older homes that may require a renovation. Price point in Mahogany will be a little better as well.

So it seems that you might consider the order of "best" SE lake communities to be something like:

1. Bonaventure (if you are old and rich)
2. Bonavista
3. Mckenzie Lake
4. Mahogany
5. Chapparal/ Auburn

Obviously using generalized criteria.

If I have to live in the SE, it seems that a lake lot is the only place that's appealing (ie not generic burbs). I've been told that anything with a mountain view along the ridge has crazy wind.

blownz
09-07-2015, 09:43 PM
I know someone with a place on the lake in Auburn Bay. I find the lake quite clean (nicer than Sundance). The guy I know has been there for 6 or 7 years and hasn't regretted it at all.

Note that owning a pet can be a pain if you are right on the lake as you can't have a fence against the lake and dogs are not allowed in the water. May be an issue, although I see that as a plus.

*edit* That first house Jordan posted is almost better than backing right onto the lake imo. You still have a fenced yard (good for pets and kids), it is larger than most of the ones on the water and those semi private docks are seldom ever used.

Xtrema
09-08-2015, 09:24 AM
OP, assume your kids all goes to private school? That's quite a haul from SE to SW when Glenmore is a shit show.

phreezee
09-08-2015, 09:31 AM

You could turn the bonus room into a 4th bedroom, the garage will accommodate a lift.

Here is whats currently listed as far as lake property goes.
http://matrix.crebtools.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?ID=364091869

Another option is you could build. There are some great lots in Mahogany, I work with clients on new builds as well. Have 3-4 beyond homes I am working on as we speak.

:thumbsup:

Jordan, do you know what the lakefront bungalow in Arbour Lake went for earlier this summer? It was listed for $1.6M and I had no idea that was average asking price, according to your list.

Buster
09-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
OP, assume your kids all goes to private school? That's quite a haul from SE to SW when Glenmore is a shit show.

Our kids aren't in private school.

The glenmore shit show is precisely what we are trying to avoid by moving closer to work.

JordanLotoski
09-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

Jordan, do you know what the lakefront bungalow in Arbour Lake went for earlier this summer? It was listed for $1.6M and I had no idea that was average asking price, according to your list.

http://matrix.crebtools.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?ID=366122532

blownz
09-08-2015, 10:09 AM
In Edmonton anyway, those lake lots sell vacant for $8-900K vs ~$350K for a lot across the street. Add a house and that is why you won't see many for sale for less than $1.5M

gwill
09-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Where in Edmonton are there lake lots going for that price? They don't really have lakes in the city. Glorified storm ponds yes.. Besides summer side there are no Lakes. But even there the lots and houses aren't pushing 1.5m.

phreezee
09-08-2015, 10:40 AM

http://matrix.crebtools.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?ID=366122532

Thanks, didn't see it on the list. Might have been taken off the market.

Xtrema
09-08-2015, 10:46 AM

Our kids aren't in private school.

The glenmore shit show is precisely what we are trying to avoid by moving closer to work.

I have heard that public school situation isn't that good down there.

Mackenzie Lake would have a legs up on the other 2 new communities for the local K-4 School. But if your kids aren't in that age range, probably doesn't matter.

Buster
09-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I have heard that public school situation isn't that good down there.

Mackenzie Lake would have a legs up on the other 2 new communities for the local K-4 School. But if your kids aren't in that age range, probably doesn't matter.

You're not the first person who has told me this.

My kids are 6, 3 and 1 right now. So the K-4 school would be appealing.

Can you be more specific about what you have heard?

roopi
09-08-2015, 11:31 AM

Not many schools in the area right now. If there is its full and there is a lottery system. The following are planned to be opening in the SE though so this will help the situation.

Auburn Bay Elementary - Sept 2016
Copperfield Elementary - Sept 2016
Cranston Middle School - Jan 2017
McKenzie Towne Middle School - Sept 2016
New Brighton Elementary School - 2016
New Brighton Middle School - 2016
SE High School - 2018ish

Mahogany will be getting schools as well but you're looking in the 5 year range for that is my guess.

mo_money2supe
09-08-2015, 11:34 AM

My wife is a teacher who substituted in most (if not all) of the SE schools while she was transitioning from mat leave back to full-time (just re-started as a full-time teacher) over the past year. She mentioned a lot of the deeper SE community schools tend to have higher turnover rates (due to high # of rental properties), lesser parental support (likely due to the shift patch workers, if they're still around nowadays), and behavioural kids. Basically a lot of the issues you see with lower income neighbourhoods, excepting the low income part.

These schools also tended to be on the higher numbers side since the demographics are mostly 25-40 y/o in these communities. She did enjoy subbing at Mountain Park Elementary (K-4) in Douglasdale though. She was there for nearly 2 months straight and said that this school had less of the issues noticed in some of the other SE schools. Similarly, she had great things to say about McKenzie Lake Elementary, though from what I recall, the school is currently acting as a temporary feeder for either Cranston or Auburn Bay, where you tend to see the existence of the aforementioned issues.

Buster
09-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

My wife is a teacher who substituted in most (if not all) of the SE schools while she was transitioning from mat leave back to full-time (just re-started as a full-time teacher) over the past year. She mentioned a lot of the deeper SE community schools tend to have higher turnover rates (due to high # of rental properties), lesser parental support (likely due to the shift patch workers, if they're still around nowadays), and behavioural kids. Basically a lot of the issues you see with lower income neighbourhoods, excepting the low income part.

These schools also tended to be on the higher numbers side since the demographics are mostly 25-40 y/o in these communities. She did enjoy subbing at Mountain Park Elementary (K-4) in Douglasdale though. She was there for nearly 2 months straight and said that this school had less of the issues noticed in some of the other SE schools. Similarly, she had great things to say about McKenzie Lake Elementary, though from what I recall, the school is currently acting as a temporary feeder for either Cranston or Auburn Bay, where you tend to see the existence of the aforementioned issues.

Mckenzie Lake school is the k-4 i think?

So the kids go there and then get shipped out at G5?

I'm looking at a house that would be in the walk zone for Mckenzie Lake school...

Xtrema
09-08-2015, 11:42 AM

There are 3 K-4 in that corner for 6 communities. 5 of those are close to fully populated. You do the math.

Walk zone of the MacKenzie Lake school is pretty big, if your 6 year old can get into that one, your 3 and 1 yr old will at least move to Category 1 and may avoid the lottery system.

My friend move away form Auburn bay into a 40yr old home in Douglasdale just to get into that K-6 and avoid lottery system.

Xtrema
09-08-2015, 11:42 AM

There are 3 K-4 in that corner for 6 communities. 5 of those are close to fully populated. You do the math.

Walk zone of the MacKenzie Lake school is pretty big, if your 6 year old can get into that one, your 3 and 1 yr old will at least move to Category 1 and may avoid the lottery system.

My friend move away form Auburn bay into a 40yr old home in Douglasdale just to get into that K-6 and avoid lottery system.

mo_money2supe
09-08-2015, 11:48 AM

I'm looking at a house that would be in the walk zone for Mckenzie Lake school...

Sorry, my mistake. McKenzie Lake School (not to be confused with McKenzie Towne School) is K-4, then Mountain Park is 5-8 (maybe 9?) as one of the feeders for McKenzie. My wife's an Elementary generalist with a specialty in ELL so she got calls from Mountain Park for gr. 5 & 6, that's why I thought it was K-4 also.

phreezee
09-08-2015, 11:50 AM
What are the rules for avoiding the lottery system? How many blocks radius?

I remember news stories about "being able to throw a rock from your front porch and still not getting in" but never found anything offiicial.

Buster
09-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
What are the rules for avoiding the lottery system? How many blocks radius?

I remember news stories about "being able to throw a rock from your front porch and still not getting in" but never found anything offiicial.

the CBE is a horribly managed organization, and one of the primary arguments I use to justify my libertarian leanings.

/rant

They change the rules all the time, and they vary by school. Also, I sat in front of the principle at our current school, told a sob story, and mysteriously found a way in.

It's corrupt and bogus, just like most government organizations.

/rant2

SOAB
09-08-2015, 11:59 AM

my daughter just started Kindergarten at Mckenzie Lake school and will be attending Mountain Park middle school when she gets to grade 5. We live 1 block away from the middle school which will be awesome for her (and us).

Buster
09-08-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

my daughter just started Kindergarten at Mckenzie Lake school and will be attending Mountain Park middle school when she gets to grade 5. We live 1 block away from the middle school which will be awesome for her (and us).

I checked the Mckenzie Lake Walk Zone, and its basically the whole community.

did you have issues getting her in? Lottery?

SOAB
09-08-2015, 02:12 PM
no issues at all. no lottery. of course, my wife was diligent about registering her early last year. they did confirm that they were overflow for Cranston though.

blownz
09-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by gwill
Where in Edmonton are there lake lots going for that price? They don't really have lakes in the city. Glorified storm ponds yes.. Besides summer side there are no Lakes. But even there the lots and houses aren't pushing 1.5m.

There are 3 lots for sale on Lake Sumerside right now for $800K, $850K, and $900K from the developer. The lots next to them backing onto the private path to the lake are about about $350K.

And there are currently only two houses for sale backing onto that lake and they are $1.75M and $1.8M.

So... :dunno: