PDA

View Full Version : Job Suggestions? Anyone an ATC?

Kobe
09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
So I feel like it's time for change, I've been playing poker for the last 6-7ish years full-time and I'm pretty over it. I want to find something I will enjoy doing and not be completely repetitive daily.

I'm in no rush to find something but would like to explore my horizons on job opportunities. I'd have no problem going back to school but I don't really see anything I'd enjoy doing with a degree right now.

I've been researching a lot about Air Traffic Controllers and it seems like a pretty decent job, I like using my head to solve problems and feel like I'm pretty comfortable in tough & stressful situations.

I'm hoping someone here works as an ATC or knows someone working as one since I have a few questions.

How stressful is the job actually? What's the worst part?
Do you enjoy the job? Why?
On my application it tells me to write an essay as to "why" do you feel me mentioning poker would be a positive or negative for the job?

When I was 18 I went to school since my parents being European forced it apon me and finished a Business Marketing - Diploma. I had good grades and was eligible to enroll in the degree but at the time I found poker and knew Marketing was not something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Anyways now here I sit 6 years later debating on where I want to settle down and work till I retire since I don't think Poker is the right long-term choice as fun as it was I think it might be time to move on soon.

Anyone have any other suggestions on realistic jobs that are usually more enjoyable than the average job? I ask this because it seems every time I ask someone if they enjoy their jobs they always reply "No I hate it because of this and this"

I realize no job will ever be 100% positives there will always be negatives and problems that come with it.

I feel like I'm just ranting now, suggestions? Anyone an ATC?

revelations
09-08-2015, 11:00 PM
There are controllers (ATC) or "Centres" in Canada who sit on scopes all day long in a dark room, and then there are the guys and girls who work in the tower at airports.

I looked into this 10 years ago (unlikely its changed much) but essentially you would start out making nothing, working at a remote location or traffic control area. After decades you might get to live somewhere nice.

If you can handle this, great.

Kobe
09-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by revelations
There are controllers (ATC) or "Centres" in Canada who sit on scopes all day long in a dark room, and then there are the guys and girls who work in the tower at airports.

I looked into this 10 years ago (unlikely its changed much) but essentially you would start out making nothing, working at a remote location or traffic control area. After decades you might get to live somewhere nice.

If you can handle this, great.

Yah the ones in the tower help taxi planes in and out of the airports while the ones in the room are for planes in the air (40miles from the airport) if I'm not mistaken from my research..

I heard first 6months to 1 year is unpaid training which would be fine for me if it is something that looks like I would enjoy.

I've spent the last few hours watching youtube videos and googling information about it as well..

revelations
09-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Keep in mind that ADS-B and related systems will eventually (~20 years) take over the need to talk on the radio to control centres for most non-aerodrome operations.

Also, not sure if VATSIM is still around, but you could pretend to be a virtual air traffic controller there. :D

know1edge
09-08-2015, 11:30 PM

Cos
09-09-2015, 07:14 AM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2015, 07:53 AM
I applied for the program about a year ago and never heard anything. Over on WSC the user A.J. I think is a ATC.

Maxx Mazda
09-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Not a controller, I'm a pilot, but I know a few controllers. The IFR guys who work in an ARTCC make wicked money. However, it is a very, VERY difficult career to get into. I think the wash out rate is something like 90% for the more advanced IFR stuff. If you're happy working up in a tower at a small airport somewhere, you'll have a much better chance, but might have to relocate.

Check out the forums at www.avcanada.com and there is an ATS sub forum with lots of information and actual controllers who may be able to point you in the right direction.

n1zm0
09-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
If you're happy working up in a tower at a small airport somewhere, you'll have a much better chance, but might have to relocate.

Even at YBW (which isn't all that small really), it was insanely busy, purely because of the flight training aspect of it mostly.

NAVCANADA always was hiring it seems for ATC duties, even just out of school I remember seeing the posting for YBW, then again a few months later.

I know I couldn't be a controller, the days I remember listening to the tower go off, telling everyone to hold or taxi etc on a busy day I thought to myself 'I hope that person gets paid alot' :D

From what I remember OP, there's various traffic jobs, the tower controller, the area controller, flight info (weather and flight planning I think?) and airport advisory (airport ground traffic iirc), I'm pretty sure you have to do all the training strictly through NAVCANADA but I could be wrong.

HiTempguy1
09-09-2015, 11:40 AM
Honestly OP, it really doesn't sound like money is an issue as long as you are earning ok money, so why not list your interests/things that make you tick so we can provide more relevant info? And maybe what a preferable schedule is for you, this greatly affects what sort of career you should go into.

I'm not going to say you need a piece of paper for the more interesting jobs... but you typically do nowadays. Some education might be necessary.

I personally don't feel listing "professional poker player" demonstrates a skill-set to the average hiring manager/HR drone that will see your application, but you never know :dunno:

revelations
09-09-2015, 11:47 AM
OP I can also tell you that if youre NOT into aircraft/aviation, you may not last very long in the field even if you manage to go through all the steps. Most people I know in the industry put up with a LOT of shit (mechanics, pilots = low pay, ops = shitty hours, ATC = stress, etc.) so the passion for all things flying is what drives many in the industry. Working in aviation just because its a "job" isnt for most.

For eg. if you're not the person who cant point out a 777 over an A330, then this job isnt probably for you ....long term.... The hiring process will try to weed out those with just a passing interest in the field.

Rat Fink
09-09-2015, 11:48 AM

revelations
09-09-2015, 11:59 AM
^ they sure try hard to beat any passion out of you :nut:

Kobe
09-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Keep in mind that ADS-B and related systems will eventually (~20 years) take over the need to talk on the radio to control centres for most non-aerodrome operations.

Also, not sure if VATSIM is still around, but you could pretend to be a virtual air traffic controller there. :D

Something I def did not think about and something that I should really research more first, thanks!

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Not a controller, I'm a pilot, but I know a few controllers. The IFR guys who work in an ARTCC make wicked money. However, it is a very, VERY difficult career to get into. I think the wash out rate is something like 90% for the more advanced IFR stuff. If you're happy working up in a tower at a small airport somewhere, you'll have a much better chance, but might have to relocate.

Check out the forums at www.avcanada.com and there is an ATS sub forum with lots of information and actual controllers who may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks Going to try out the website

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Honestly OP, it really doesn't sound like money is an issue as long as you are earning ok money, so why not list your interests/things that make you tick so we can provide more relevant info? And maybe what a preferable schedule is for you, this greatly affects what sort of career you should go into.

I'm not going to say you need a piece of paper for the more interesting jobs... but you typically do nowadays. Some education might be necessary.

I personally don't feel listing "professional poker player" demonstrates a skill-set to the average hiring manager/HR drone that will see your application, but you never know :dunno:

I've learned life isn't about trying to be the richest person in the world, that's pretty true I'd much rather do something I'm happy with than something I make tons of money in.

Regarding what stresses me? I'm not really sure anymore I feel like I've created the mindset over not getting angry over things I can't control and only getting angry at something I could of done differently.

Example: Car breaks down costs $500 to fix i'd be less angry about than getting a speeding ticket for $200 that I knew I could of controlled the situation.

Preferred schedule? - Haha well for the last few years since Black Friday I've played when the games are best so it's adjusted lots depending on timezone / date it is.

I'm not really worried about schedule but I guess Id like to start at 8-9am usually and not be working grave yard shifts which is one of the big negatives i've seen for being an ATC

OP I can also tell you that if youre NOT into aircraft/aviation, you may not last very long in the field even if you manage to go through all the steps. Most people I know in the industry put up with a LOT of shit (mechanics, pilots = low pay, ops = shitty hours, ATC = stress, etc.) so the passion for all things flying is what drives many in the industry. Working in aviation just because its a "job" isnt for most.

For eg. if you're not the person who cant point out a 777 over an A330, then this job isnt probably for you ....long term.... The hiring process will try to weed out those with just a passing interest in the field.

I've always loved aircrafts and flown way more times than I can remember. I don't know how much of a passion I must have to have in this since I never really wanted to be a pilot growning up but I LOVED flying, I would always take videos starting/landing.

Originally posted by Rat Fink
I did the whole application process in 2009/2010. I really hope the process has changed.

I did the online application / pre-testing. Passed
Several weeks went by without being informed of my status, or without being able to check on my status.
Out of the blue I got a phone call, I was selected for the first aptitude test. Passed
Next was several more weeks that went by while being left in the dark. I then got a phone call and received an over the phone interview that lasted over an hour. The interviewer told me I did well but wasn't at liberty to say whether it was a pass or not.

Several MONTHS went by at this point, without being allowed to check on my status or receive any followup information on where I stood. Life moved on. I wasn't in a position to sit around for a year for an in-the-dark maybe and then not get paid for 6 months after hiring too. I started my automotive apprenticeship and was no longer in a position to uproot my entire life to move to the middle of nowhere.

Out of the blue I got a phone call, over a year after my initial application..... "congratulations! You did great on your application and we are calling to present you with a job offer!"

Me: 10 minute rant on how screwed up their system is, followed with a no thank you!! I took the application process as an omen on how they'd likely treat their employees once hired. Typical aviation route of no money, shit treatment.

That's pretty stupid, wow...

I watched a few cool little docs on it last night and def interested in it but it just seems like the stress aspect of this kills everyone and I haven't really heard any positive feedback towards it so far.

FraserB
09-09-2015, 12:15 PM
I'll dig up my uncle's contact info for you and PM you.

He's a supervisor at a center down east and my cousin is doing it as well.

I did an 8 week thing down in Cornwall to get the gist of it. I enjoyed it, but there is a ton of stress involved and the possibility of shitty postings. Which is kind of ironic now since my job involves stress and I work outside of Ft. Crack

I wouldn't put a huge ton of emphasis on poker, but you can definitely apply a lot of what goes on to the job. They want people who pay attention to detail, have analytical minds, can easily problem solve on the fly and can multitask.

revelations
09-09-2015, 12:15 PM
^ Focus on the NAVCANADA side of things - in case youre watch YT documentaries. The FAA is about 10 years behind the curve compared to the Europeans or NAVCANADA.

n1zm0
09-09-2015, 02:25 PM
so the passion for all things flying is what drives many in the industry. Working in aviation just because its a "job" isnt for most.

Can't be any closer to the truth in this statement, aviation isn't the romantically elite industry people make it out to be (especially the maintenance side of it), you have to absolutely LOVE aviation imo to stay in it as a career choice. I actually only know maybe 4 people who are still in the industry from my graduating class.

I think you want to start here (https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/career-types) OP if you're extremely interested in it.

*edit: grammar

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Can't be farther from the truth this statement, aviation isn't the romantically elite industry people make it out to be (especially the maintenance side of it), you have to absolutely LOVE aviation imo to stay in it as a career choice. I actually only know maybe 4 people who are still in the industry from my graduating class.

I think you want to start here (https://takecharge.navcanada.ca/career-types) OP if you're extremely interested in it.

Depends what "part" of aviation in my opinion. If you look at the IT side of things it looks not bad if that's your kind of job.

n1zm0
09-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Depends what "part" of aviation in my opinion. If you look at the IT side of things it looks not bad if that's your kind of job.

When I think of a career in aviation for me it means, flying, servicing, controlling. IT support of aviation related software isn't the same as the hands-on aspect of these actions imo :dunno:

Tik-Tok
09-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
I actually only know maybe 4 people who are still in the industry from my graduating class.

:rofl: So true.

Kobe
09-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
I'll dig up my uncle's contact info for you and PM you.

He's a supervisor at a center down east and my cousin is doing it as well.

I did an 8 week thing down in Cornwall to get the gist of it. I enjoyed it, but there is a ton of stress involved and the possibility of shitty postings. Which is kind of ironic now since my job involves stress and I work outside of Ft. Crack

I wouldn't put a huge ton of emphasis on poker, but you can definitely apply a lot of what goes on to the job. They want people who pay attention to detail, have analytical minds, can easily problem solve on the fly and can multitask.

Sweet, thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys!