PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Teen Arrested Over Homemade Clock

Pages : [1] 2 3

ickyflex
09-16-2015, 01:23 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/

Looks to have worked in his favor now though, Mark Zuckerberg and Obama have invited him over.

"When Ahmed Mohamed went to his high school in Irving, Texas, Monday, he was so excited. A teenager with dreams of becoming an engineer, he wanted to show his teacher the digital clock he'd made from a pencil case.

The 14-year-old's day ended not with praise, but punishment, after the school called police and he was arrested. A photo shows Ahmed, wearing a NASA t-shirt, looking confused and upset as he's being led out of school in handcuffs.

"They arrested me and they told me that I committed the crime of a hoax bomb, a fake bomb," the freshman later explained to WFAA after authorities released him.

Irving Police spokesman Officer James McLellan told the station, "We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only tell us that it was a clock."

The teenager did that because, well, it was a clock, he said.

On Wednesday, police announced that the teen will not be charged.

Chief Larry Boyd said that Ahmed should have been "forthcoming" by going beyond the description that what he made was a clock. But Boyd said that authorities determined that the teenager did not intend to alarm anyone and the device, which the chief called "a homemade experiment," was innocuous. "

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/10264/production/_85584166_clock.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2362805.1442423107!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_635/texas-muslim-student-clock.jpg

EK 2.0
09-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ickyflex
But Boyd said that authorities determined that the teenager did not intend to alarm anyone

No pun intended....

JRSC00LUDE
09-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Well at the end of the day he gets a trip to the White House to meet the President, likely a scholarship or two as the days go on, a settlement and some time in the sun. So unless something completely ridiculous comes out to discredit the kid, it's an overall win.

civic_stylez
09-16-2015, 01:35 PM
The fact is, if it had been a bomb and teachers had seen it prior, people would have been screamed "why didn't anyone say or do anything!?!?!?" Doesn't matter what you do these days, someone is going to bitch that the wrong thing was done.

ickyflex
09-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
The fact is, if it had been a bomb and teachers had seen it prior, people would have been screamed "why didn't anyone say or do anything!?!?!?" Doesn't matter what you do these days, someone is going to bitch that the wrong thing was done.

I don't disagree.

Kid was excited to show his teacher he made this clock so my best guess is his teacher should know his interests in science etc etc. Don't know the full story and can see both sides as it really doesn't look like a clock to me haha.

lilmira
09-16-2015, 01:45 PM
I'm ok with the school being alarmed but getting that far without one adult figuring out what that was or wasn't including the police is kinda frightening.

Sugarphreak
09-16-2015, 01:51 PM

jutes
09-16-2015, 02:05 PM
yeah probably should have not used a suitcase.

If the kids last name was Goldberg there would have not been any issues. islam has a bad wrap right now thanks to the morons in the middle east and the invasion of Europe. I'm not surprised he was arrested, can't be too cautious.

HiTempguy1
09-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
It looks like a bomb, lol

Exactly. Even that suitcase is super-stereotypical hollywood bomb/drug suitcase :rofl:

3drian
09-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Obama had something to say about it!

https://twitter.com/BarackObama?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

phreezee
09-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Reminds me of this story recently at the airport: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3224962/What-thinking-Airport-evacuated-teenager-tries-alarm-clock-designed-look-like-BOMB-plane.html

Don't know if the teenager was muslim or not, but he got the same treatment and was charged with mischief.

sexualbanana
09-16-2015, 02:34 PM

Chief Larry Boyd said that Ahmed should have been "forthcoming" by going beyond the description that what he made was a clock.

I'd like to see the transcript of this interview because two questions come to mind:

1) When he said it was a clock, did the interviewer continue to press him for the "truth"?

2) When he said it was a clock, did the interviewer ever ask him to elaborate on the clock?

zipdoa
09-16-2015, 02:35 PM
They must have been really concerned, considering the teacher kept the 'clock bomb' in her desk until class was over, and then called the police.

Also, this:

http://i.imgur.com/eNT6nlN.png

sputnik
09-16-2015, 02:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YtY4gAo.png

Toma
09-16-2015, 02:46 PM
yup. CONservative nut jobs wnated to throw him in jail, but the national spotlight lands him in the whitehouse cause Liberal Obama is a cool mother fucker.

If only everyone was so lucky.

We kneel before the patriot sct and C51! haha

Matty_10
09-16-2015, 02:59 PM
When I was in tech school one of the guys built a homemade clock and some passerby called the cops and the school was shut down for a bomb threat. This was in an electrical classroom :banghead: :facepalm:

JRSC00LUDE
09-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Toma
We kneel before the patriot sct and C51! haha

Now I get the merc. comment in the other thread, I just realized I called it Bill C-63. What can I say, I'm on a car forum! :rofl:

ickyflex
09-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Mark Zuckerberg
3 hrs · Palo Alto, CA, United States ·
You’ve probably seen the story about Ahmed, the 14 year old student in Texas who built a clock and was arrested when he took it to school.

Having the skill and ambition to build something cool should lead to applause, not arrest. The future belongs to people like Ahmed.

Ahmed, if you ever want to come by Facebook, I'd love to meet you. Keep building.

gwill
09-16-2015, 03:08 PM
I can't decide which of the comments on this thread made me laugh more.

sexualbanana
09-16-2015, 07:41 PM
They suspended the kid for 3 days... huh?

Xtrema
09-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Texas being Texas.

sexualbanana
09-16-2015, 08:51 PM
The school's letter is pretty frustrating to read too...

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/16/9336557/ahmed-mohamed-clock-school

btimbit
09-16-2015, 09:06 PM

That'll teach him for being brown

cancer man
09-16-2015, 09:16 PM
The clock was against him.

speedog
09-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

That'll teach him for being brown
Kind of sad, eh.

Robin Goodfellow
09-16-2015, 10:07 PM
The school's letter is pretty frustrating to read too...

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/16/9336557/ahmed-mohamed-clock-school

Jose L. Parra, Superintendant of schools?

Sounds like a fucking illegal to me - I think DHS should bring him in to ensure all of his work permits are in order.

dirtsniffer
09-16-2015, 10:40 PM
I still fail to see where race comes in?

Jeeper1986
09-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I still fail to see where race comes in?

hes Muslim hes brown he brought a home made watch that be made out of his own brain and hands, hes "MUSLIM" are you blind

MUSLIM=Terror???? u don't watch the news or what lol

dirtsniffer
09-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Ya I dunno. White people have blown up more buildings in the states so you think they would be descriminated against instead. But who's to say any kid that brought this to school wouldn't have had the same thing happen?

dirtsniffer
09-16-2015, 11:06 PM
http://www.inquisitr.com/2037033/promposal-gone-wrong-high-school-student-straps-fake-bombs-to-his-chest-in-prom-proposal-stunt-gets-five-day-suspension/

Is this racist?

relyt92
09-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Ya I dunno. White people have blown up more buildings in the states so you think they would be descriminated against instead. But who's to say any kid that brought this to school wouldn't have had the same thing happen? Kids from Texas, one of those states where gay marriage was still banned until 2 months ago when the supreme court said it was legal.

zipdoa
09-17-2015, 06:41 AM

googe
09-17-2015, 10:25 AM
There is another story going around about how a teenager played a "prank" at school with an actual hoax bomb he built, and spent the night in jail for it. It had a sophisticated trigger that made the ticks go faster when the locker was opened.

When in jail, he taught the other inmates how to take the wires from the ceiling fan, attach them to the fence, and shock the guards.

Apparently he and his friend, a Syrian kid whose father had known ties to the Syrian government, had some kind of lab in their garage full of suspicious stuff. They also got busted for posing as American diplomats and harassing other heads of state.

I bet the bleeding hearts are gonna try and say that was "too harsh" too. This is serious stuff and kids need to know that they can't mess around.

BTW, the hoaxer, Steve Wozniak, went on to invent the personal computer, and launched Apple with his Syrian buddy, Steve Jobs.

sexualbanana
09-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by googe
There is another story going around about how a teenager played a "prank" at school with an actual hoax bomb he built, and spent the night in jail for it. It had a sophisticated trigger that made the ticks go faster when the locker was opened.

When in jail, he taught the other inmates how to take the wires from the ceiling fan, attach them to the fence, and shock the guards.

Apparently he and his friend, a Syrian kid whose father had known ties to the Syrian government, had some kind of lab in their garage full of suspicious stuff. They also got busted for posing as American diplomats and harassing other heads of state.

I bet the bleeding hearts are gonna try and say that was "too harsh" too. This is serious stuff and kids need to know that they can't mess around.

BTW, the hoaxer, Steve Wozniak, went on to invent the personal computer, and launched Apple with his Syrian buddy, Steve Jobs.

I don't blame the security precautions. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't-type of situation. But again, my question is: how did authorities go about investigating the kid and his clock?

There's also a double-standard at play, though to be fair I don't think the school board was probably aware of this incident in Colorado.

Inert Bomb as a Science Fair (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/18/us/inert-bomb-at-a-science-fair-raises-interest-of-authorities.html)

This kid brought an actual bomb to school and wasn't suspended. As the police state that the device was not functioning but "'necessary ingredients and instructions to make it so were present.'' As for Ahmed, the only necessary ingredient he had was a clock yet he still gets suspended.

Then he's defended by other parents who says things like:

Julie McClain, 44, whose children have graduated from the school, agreed that people were overreacting.

''Most people here have guns in their homes and go hunting and they don't think of blowing each other up,'' Ms. McClain said.

Seth1968
09-17-2015, 11:01 AM
"It looks like a bomb"

:rofl: :banghead:

Imagine the destruction when one of the caps blow.

sabad66
09-17-2015, 11:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/yLXHTSj.jpg

HiTempguy1
09-17-2015, 11:59 AM
I found this line of thinking interesting, mainly because it reflects my own:

"He was interviewed on Good Morning America a few minutes ago. He's a geeky 14 year old kid who wanted to impress his teacher. When asked what he wanted next he answered "I'd like my clock back, and my humility". At least that's what I think he said. He looked about as threatening as one of those Cabbage Patch Kids dolls"

No kid knows how to use the word humility as it applies to themselves, especially while on national television, which leads to another commentators post:

"He obviously didn't "make a clock." It's guts from a clock clumsily stuffed into the same kind of metal case that you see bombs in at the movies. Then the alarm just happens to go off in the middle of class.

Having not read every single article and watched every interview pertaining to this story, I'll go against the popular narrative here...

This doesn't look as simply explained as "young electronics prodigy gets abused by racist school and law enforcement," but more like "politically astute Islamic parents send kid to school with innocuous but suspicious-looking-to-the-ignorant box of electronics in order to create a E36 M3 show, play the victim, become minor celebrities and get some bucks."

And I completely agree. So many bandwagon jumpers are getting in on this to support some random kid that nobody should give a crap about. Its like the 7 year old girls at feminist/sexism protests, its just brainwashing.

sabad66
09-17-2015, 12:50 PM
<tinfoil hat>
what if it's all a super elaborate plan to get him into the white house and fuck shit up there?
</tinfoil hat>

Seth1968
09-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I found this line of thinking interesting, mainly because it reflects my own:

&quot;He was interviewed on Good Morning America a few minutes ago. He's a geeky 14 year old kid who wanted to impress his teacher. When asked what he wanted next he answered &quot;I'd like my clock back, and my humility&quot;. At least that's what I think he said. He looked about as threatening as one of those Cabbage Patch Kids dolls&quot;

No kid knows how to use the word humility as it applies to themselves, especially while on national television, which leads to another commentators post:

&quot;He obviously didn't &quot;make a clock.&quot; It's guts from a clock clumsily stuffed into the same kind of metal case that you see bombs in at the movies. Then the alarm just happens to go off in the middle of class.

Having not read every single article and watched every interview pertaining to this story, I'll go against the popular narrative here...

This doesn't look as simply explained as &quot;young electronics prodigy gets abused by racist school and law enforcement,&quot; but more like &quot;politically astute Islamic parents send kid to school with innocuous but suspicious-looking-to-the-ignorant box of electronics in order to create a E36 M3 show, play the victim, become minor celebrities and get some bucks.&quot;

And I completely agree. So many bandwagon jumpers are getting in on this to support some random kid that nobody should give a crap about. Its like the 7 year old girls at feminist/sexism protests, its just brainwashing.

Uh ya. Good luck with teaching that.

You're not going to see anything like the following being taught in our educational system:

This doesn't look as simply explained as &quot;young electronics prodigy gets abused by racist school and law enforcement,&quot; but more like &quot;politically astute Islamic parents send kid to school with innocuous but suspicious-looking-to-the-ignorant box of electronics in order to create a E36 M3 show, play the victim, become minor celebrities and get some bucks.&quot;

Robin Goodfellow
09-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
http://i.imgur.com/yLXHTSj.jpg

AHHAHAHAAHAHA FUCK....

Robin Goodfellow
09-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Ahmed had a press conference today. He is precocious, humble, and adorable, and I teared up.

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/17/watch-ahmed-muhameds-awesom.html

Seth1968
09-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
Ahmed had a press conference today. He is precocious, humble, and adorable, and I teared up.

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/17/watch-ahmed-muhameds-awesom.html

As usual, the "suit" was right behind him.

The fundamentalists have made an awesome chess move.

Some of us see right through the BS, but the average human does not.

Robin Goodfellow
09-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

As usual, the &quot;suit&quot; was right behind him.

Of course there is a suit beside him - It is SOP in any such case involving a minor.

You've chosen to view this through a particular lens... But that does not necessarily mean the rest of us are stupid or blind because we choose not to.

(edited for excessive wordiness)

atgilchrist
09-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

As usual, the &quot;suit&quot; was right behind him.

Good catch. If we didn't have eagle eyes such as yourself watching out for us sheep, we'd be doomed. A poor fitting suit and pink and purple tie is the harbinger of the illuminati, not a lawyer or PR rep, nope.

Seth1968
09-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Good catch. If we didn't have eagle eyes such as yourself watching out for us sheep, we'd be doomed. A poor fitting suit and pink and purple tie is the harbinger of the illuminati, not a lawyer or PR rep, nope.

Another that gets it:)

Seth1968
09-17-2015, 08:15 PM

Of course there is a suit beside him - It is SOP in any such case involving a minor.

You've chosen to view this through a particular lens... But that does not necessarily mean the rest of us are stupid or blind because we choose not to.

I could rake in millions becoming a faith healer.

01RedDX
09-17-2015, 08:19 PM

sexualbanana
09-17-2015, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I kinda get why they freaked out, the weird quiet kid has an alarm go off inside his bag during Spanish class. Teacher asks to look in his bag and finds an item resembling a bomb. &quot;Ay caramba&quot;

Yes they over-reacted but I kinda understand why there was a response to the situation. Of course the media loves stories like this, maybe when he goes through a full security search at the the White House it's going to make another big story. :dunno:

That's why I want (it would be helpful anyway) to know how the interview between him and the cop went.

If it went something like...
Cop: What is it?
Ahmed: It's a clock.
Cop: Not a bomb?
Ahmed: Nope.
<Cop looks at the clock and see there's nothing even remotely explosive in it>
Cop: Okay. We see nothing that is explosive. You're free to go.

Then I will gladly say I overreacted.

If it went more like this...
Cop: What is it?
Cop: I'm going to give you another chance to tell me it's a bomb. What is it?
Cop: It's a bomb!
<repeat ad nauseum>
Cop: Okay, it's a clock. You're free to go.

In either case, it also doesn't make sense to suspend the kid.

ragu
09-17-2015, 11:24 PM
I kinda get why they freaked out, the weird quiet kid has an alarm go off inside his bag during Spanish class. Teacher asks to look in his bag and finds an item resembling a bomb. &quot;Ay caramba&quot;

Yes they over-reacted but I kinda understand why there was a response to the situation. Of course the media loves stories like this, maybe when he goes through a full security search at the the White House it's going to make another big story. :dunno:

"Ahmed’s day at school started with him showing his invention to his engineering teacher, who advised him not to show it to other staff. But the clock started beeping during another class, leading to an exchange with his English teacher, who wondered whether it was a bomb.

Concern escalated and by day’s end, the teen was pulled out of class and questioned by police – and eventually suspended for three days, his family said. A photo of the teen on social media shows him in handcuffs."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/texas-teens-arrest-for-bringing-homemade-clock-to-school-sparks-outrage/article26378366/

So the kid starts by showing his clock to engineering teacher and police isn't called till the day's end. Entire day, everyone is fine having a bomb, or a hoax bomb, in the school.

Based on how how long it took them, it doesn't look like there was much of panic or over-reaction. Rather, it appears to be calmly thought out that the only thing to come from a 14yr old brown/ black (because Sudan) muslim kid is a hoax bomb...

BigMass
09-18-2015, 11:08 AM

That's why I want (it would be helpful anyway) to know how the interview between him and the cop went.

probably a little something like this...
hY5zuerWj_E

Xtrema
09-18-2015, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ragu
So the kid starts by showing his clock to engineering teacher and police isn't called till the day's end. Entire day, everyone is fine having a bomb, or a hoax bomb, in the school.

Engineering teacher knows what's up. He knew his working with a bunch of racist imbeciles.

M.alex
09-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Oh yea, this doesn't at all look like a bomb ... in today's age of school shootings, no worries about a weirdo kid bringing in suitcase that's going 'TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC' :banghead:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPCX_zVUwAAseM-.jpg

HiTempguy1
09-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Oh yea, this doesn't at all look like a bomb ... in today's age of school shootings, no worries about a weirdo kid bringing in suitcase that's going 'TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC' :banghead:

Haha, exactly.

Hell, why is it in that type of briefcase? Those suckers are hard to find, been there done that. Yes, his parents totally just had lying around a stereotypical hollywood bomb briefcase for use to turn into a clock :rofl:

D'z Nutz
09-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Hell, why is it in that type of briefcase? Those suckers are hard to find, been there done that.

They're on sale at Canadian tire for $30 all the time.

carson blocks
09-18-2015, 12:37 PM
I'm no electronics expert, but it looks to me like he didn't 'build a clock' or create something 'original and cool' like Zuckerberg and some others are lauding him for, but rather took apart an alarm clock and stuffed the guts in to the pencil case. You can still see the 9v battery connector hanging off the PCB.

Xtrema
09-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I'm no electronics expert, but it looks to me like he didn't 'build a clock' or create something 'original and cool' like Zuckerberg and some others are lauding him for, but rather took apart an alarm clock and stuffed the guts in to the pencil case. You can still see the 9v battery connector hanging off the PCB.

You have 0 understanding on electronics, especially at this kid's level.

No alarm clock maker will spend so much money on expensive set up with something so simple. It would have been miniaturize to reduce cost.

This is a home made system, may not be from scratch but probably from hobby parts. I could even make something like this until I was 18.

This is how every kid should learn and something to be proud of. This is how we got Wozniak and Apple Computers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ahmed-mohameds-in-good-company-apples-steve-wozniak-was-arrested-for-making-a-home-made-bomb-clock-10504964.html

Haha, exactly.

Hell, why is it in that type of briefcase? Those suckers are hard to find, been there done that. Yes, his parents totally just had lying around a stereotypical hollywood bomb briefcase for use to turn into a clock :rofl:

The fact that is blew up as big as it did, shows that how we have regressed as a society due to media influences over the decades.

Robin Goodfellow
09-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The fact that is blew up as big as it did, shows that how we have regressed as a society due to media influences over the decades.

The media is just the messenger. It is the powers that be that have a vested interest in fuelling fear and hatred as a tool of control.

Communists, blacks, drugs, arabs.

Same shit, different cycle.

Seth1968
09-18-2015, 04:14 PM

The media is just the messenger.

To which main stream of such is owned by a few corps.

The "powers that be" worst nightmare is the internet (shared knowledge), and unbiased investigative reporting.

carson blocks
09-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

You have 0 understanding on electronics, especially at this kid's level.

No alarm clock maker will spend so much money on expensive set up with something so simple. It would have been miniaturize to reduce cost.

This is a home made system, may not be from scratch but probably from hobby parts. I could even make something like this until I was 18.

This is how every kid should learn and something to be proud of. This is how we got Wozniak and Apple Computers.

Actually, maybe you should check your shit before you fuckin' talk down to someone like that. I was pretty sure I wasn't that far off base, so I did some more searching. Turns out it's a Micronta alarm clock, likely late 70s vintage. All the kid did was take the case off and put the guts in a pencil box, with the help of his politician father (who should have known better, unless he was trying to spur a political issue). Taking shit apart is cool, and how you learn stuff. Taking the case off an alarm clock, stuffing it in to a suspicious looking case, and bringing it to school is how you get questioned.

http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/2015/09/17/reverse-engineering-ahmed-mohameds-clock-and-ourselves/

HiTempguy1
09-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Attention whores confirmed:

"That's a sentiment that Mohamed's own family has tried to fight against. His father, Mohamed ElHassan Mohamed, is a fascinating figure in his own right. He's a Sudanese immigrant who has twice declared himself a presidential candidate in Sudan. When Florida pastor Terry Jones put the Quran on trial and later burned it in 2012, Mohamed was the Muslim holy book's defense attorney,"

FFS. I knew it. Its not "everyone in america is an islamaphobe" its "this family intentionally tried to stir up a hornets nest" and everyone took the bait hook, line and sinker.

Screw these people

max_boost
09-18-2015, 04:56 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPCX_zVUwAAseM-.jpg lol :eek:

Crazy.

Maxt
09-18-2015, 05:14 PM
QblkQ-J6zio

BigMass
09-18-2015, 08:12 PM

http://f.tqn.com/y/chemistry/1/S/P/V/1/science-fair-model-volcano.jpg
brings in the same clock, how cute A+

kid looks like this and brings in the clock
http://static.deathandtaxesmag.com/uploads/2015/09/NMC_15MohamedAhmed2-640x400.jpeg

ends up in
http://mz-mz.net/wp-content/up/654651561.jpg

http://gawker.com/7-kids-not-named-mohamed-who-brought-homemade-clocks-to-1730999866

rx7_turbo2
09-18-2015, 08:22 PM
^Ya not exactly:rolleyes:

J.M.
09-18-2015, 09:09 PM
The kid got invited to the White House by Obama, he'll be fine lol

'Murica

http://api.ning.com/files/BSIzmRe6m-HW98AA*A2HSiVm5rKpxDQAtSaoqn-*bTpJFNnD4eiVy5MwMshhRredU*VUaTKZSV*NZyGDEM8hVg__/jeez.jpg

Robin Goodfellow
09-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Actually, maybe you should check your shit before you fuckin' talk down to someone like that. I was pretty sure I wasn't that far off base, so I did some more searching. Turns out it's a Micronta alarm clock, likely late 70s vintage. All the kid did was take the case off and put the guts in a pencil box, with the help of his politician father (who should have known better, unless he was trying to spur a political issue). Taking shit apart is cool, and how you learn stuff. Taking the case off an alarm clock, stuffing it in to a suspicious looking case, and bringing it to school is how you get questioned.

This is starting to sound dodgy.

Robin Goodfellow
09-19-2015, 01:00 AM

This is starting to sound dodgy.

Then again, maybe it's garden variety "Plagiarism", rather than some Islamic-sympathy conspiracy.

One need only go as far as the local science fair to see a few examples of "repurposed" items as projects....

Will be interesting in any case.

Traffic_Cop
09-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Read this today, found it interesting:-

As you know - my degree is in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. So, as someone with some appreciable expertise, I analyzed the "home made clock" that the kid in Irving was supposed to have "invented" and taken to school. First, it is NOT a simple alarm clock. It is a COUNTDOWN clock. Second -- the kid didn't home make or invent anything. He decomposed an already existing commercially available COUNTDOWN clock (as evidenced by the commercially manufactured Printed Circuit Board (PCB)) as shown in the picture of his device.

If the kid were to "home make" or "invent" a clock -- he would have used a breadboard (as I have added to the picture) wherein one inserts integrated circuits, wires, and capacitors, resistors, etc., to form the logic of such a device.

So, question: why did the kid take apart an already existing COUNTDOWN clock and build it into a briefcase where only the LEDs were visible counting down time? What would happen at any airport, building, school, public sidewalk, if such a device were spotted?

Question: what is in the white bag in the suitcase? It serves no electronic purpose. Hmmmm.

Do you want anyone to bring a briefcase with COUNTDOWN clock embedded within it and setting the clock to countdown and go off during English class in your kids schools? Again, the only thing visible on the outside of the briefcase were the LEDs counting down time to 00:00.

I smell a dirty rat, a setup here, if there ever was one. I am appalled that the media is buying into the innocent "inventor" story. This is not about race or religion -- it is about someone purposefully taking a menacing device to school.

What if a kid were to take an upper from one AR-15 rifle, and a lower from another AR-15 rifle and put it together, then remove the firing pin and take it to school as a metal worker "inventor"? Why, anyone who knew anything about rifles could closely examine the metal object had no firing pin and would celebrate what a great inventor the kid was!!! NOT!!!! How many people at a school could closely examine the inside of this briefcase with a countdown clock visible on the outside counting down to 00:00 and make the call as to its purpose? Again, what is inside that white bag?

Seth1968
09-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

I smell a dirty rat, a setup here, if there ever was one.

Hence my comment of a blown cap.

I'm thinking someone might want to look into the kid's dad.

Seth1968
09-19-2015, 01:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvlmXhcRLMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvlmXhcRLMY

The response was the epitome of brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcwOJvpyJA

NOTE: "Brilliant" if you subscribe to an invisible sky pixie.

Robin Goodfellow
09-19-2015, 01:24 PM

If the kid were to &quot;home make&quot; or &quot;invent&quot; a clock -- he would have used a breadboard (as I have added to the picture) wherein one inserts integrated circuits, wires, and capacitors, resistors, etc., to form the logic of such a device.

So agreed.

Any DIY electronic project would be breadboarded.

Particularly projects that need to be able to withstand transport and rough handling, as I imagine a real bomb would.

(Not that I have any expertise in this area, but Dr. Evil surely wouldn't want his plans foiled by a loose connection!)

OTown
09-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Yet another story completely blown out of proportion and only showing 1 side of the story.

Ven
09-19-2015, 01:54 PM

As you know - my degree is in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. So, as someone with some appreciable expertise, I analyzed the &quot;home made clock&quot; that the kid in Irving was supposed to have &quot;invented&quot; and taken to school. First, it is NOT a simple alarm clock. It is a COUNTDOWN clock. Second -- the kid didn't home make or invent anything. He decomposed an already existing commercially available COUNTDOWN clock (as evidenced by the commercially manufactured Printed Circuit Board (PCB)) as shown in the picture of his device.

Substantiate please. How did you analyze this device to arrive at these conclusions? How can you prove what you've claimed here?

I'm not challenging you with a negative disposition either. I think questioning events like this kid and his "clock" are important. Same like how the claimed refugee, whose toddler washed up on shore, has a story that's quite a bit more hinky than what we're served in our mainstream media.

Seth1968
09-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Ven

Substantiate please. How did you analyze this device to arrive at these conclusions? How can you prove what you've claimed here?

I'm not challenging you with a negative disposition either. I think questioning events like this kid and his &quot;clock&quot; are important. Same like how the claimed refugee, whose toddler washed up on shore, has a story that's quite a bit more hinky than what we're served in our mainstream media.

Why isn't such questioning taught in our so called educational system?

01RedDX
09-19-2015, 02:17 PM

Seth1968
09-19-2015, 02:42 PM

I don't think this kid has the capacity to produce commercially printed circuit boards, do you? That is not a homemade circuit board or &quot;breadboard.&quot; That board comes from a commercially available electronic clock. It's not an invention at all but a very peculiar customization. I've taken a mobo from a broken laptop and built it into a cigar box before, sure it's a fun hobby but you're not inventing anything. The bigger question is what the motivations are for everyone involved in this story.

:clap:

HiTempguy1
09-19-2015, 02:57 PM

I don't think this kid has the capacity to produce commercially printed circuit boards, do you? That is not a homemade circuit board or &quot;breadboard.&quot; That board comes from a commercially available electronic clock. It's not an invention at all but a very peculiar customization. I've taken a mobo from a broken laptop and built it into a cigar box before, sure it's a fun hobby but you're not inventing anything. The bigger question is what the motivations are for everyone involved in this story.

And you know what the simple answer could be?

The kid did build it to look a bit like your stereotypical "bomb" you'd see in a hollywood movie. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

But I'd be 100% on the boy's side versus, "oh, well, uh, its just a clock, that's it, I didn't mean for it to look like anything else".

RickDaTuner
09-19-2015, 03:24 PM
I think the thinking that the teacher and police had on this was that, its clear the device had no ability to be used as a detonation device, but rather why was he making such a device, and in such a manner that it used recycled parts, and resembled an IED

Tis a bit strange for a muslim boy to be assembling such things isn't it?

If anything it could be said that the teacher and police department were acting responsibly, in that they felt the need to further probe Ahmed to make sure he wasn't later on going to build a real bomb, and then detonate it off at school. When you think back to many of the school shooting events, many if not all of the people who killed showed many signs, in actions and speech that they planned to do something. That taken into account its hard not to justify the thought rational. I bet the phrase "better safe than sorry" was said a few times.

While I don't agree with what took place, I can see where the trouble with it all came to be.
I hope that Ahmed and his family sue that school, and the school board for that county till kingdom come.

Seth1968
09-19-2015, 03:41 PM

Do you know what people do when they think there is a bomb? They empty out a 2 block radius and get the swat team and bomb squad in there. They don't finish class and make the kid sit in the office with his &quot;bomb&quot;.
Are you people afraid of ghosts too?

I saw a ghost one time. It turned out to be my refection.

Again, question Daddy.

Ven
09-19-2015, 04:40 PM

I don't think this kid has the capacity to produce commercially printed circuit boards, do you? That is not a homemade circuit board or &quot;breadboard.&quot;

No argument, I get that part. That's not the question I was asking.

The bigger question is what the motivations are for everyone involved in this story.

Right. When you add up all the players in this and speculate on their motivations you'll come to the conclusion that it reeks of plausible deniability anyway. :)

Seth1968
09-19-2015, 04:48 PM
The NASA t-shirt.

:rofl:

Ven
09-19-2015, 05:06 PM

And you know what the simple answer could be?

The kid did build it to look a bit like your stereotypical &quot;bomb&quot; you'd see in a hollywood movie. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

But there is something wrong with bringing it to school. Or an airport. Or any number of places, all for really really good reasons.

Additionally this has nothing to do with the kid being Muslim or brown. How many brown Muslim kids have shot up or blown up American schools on the last 10 years?

Ven
09-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

I hope that Ahmed and his family sue that school, and the school board for that county till kingdom come.

So why do you want Ahmed to sue the school? I think the school and the police should sue Ahmed's family. Replica bomb or gun or whatever, it doesn't matter. This will cost hundreds of thousands for the school and the police. Which should be a fraction of the amount that would be spent by Obama, Zuckerberg and NASA trying to back pedal and strategize a way out of this when they figure out what they've actually encouraged here.

RickDaTuner
09-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Ven

So why do you want Ahmed to sue the school? I think the school and the police should sue Ahmed's family. Replica bomb or gun or whatever, it doesn't matter. This will cost hundreds of thousands for the school and the police. Which should be a fraction of the amount that would be spent by Obama, Zuckerberg and NASA trying to back pedal and strategize a way out of this when they figure out what they've actually encouraged here.

Religious Freedom, Persecution of a minor, Unwarranted
detainment, Racial Profiling.

If Obama Openly invited him to the white house, that in itself should tell you that this Kid is Guiltless.
He's the president of the United States, obviously there was some sort of background check on the family, and their ties prior to him asking his twitter handler to post the tweet.

The United States Duty in todays Society is to ensure that the Bigotry and ignorance portrayed by some Americans - does not take hold in mainstream thinking.
Better to integrate than to segregate legitimate Muslim people.

If the world can see that, then America is one step closer to taking leave of the extremist muslims who persecute it.

Ven
09-19-2015, 07:44 PM

Yup, those are all of the popular buzz words. How can you prove, or disprove, that anything negative coming from this is because he's brown and a Muslim? I don't know. So why do people gravitate to that and cut their own throats immediately when there's no way to correlate the two other than reactionary public opinion?

What I do know is that doing something is better than doing nothing in this case. With respect to not knowing the exact verbatim between Ahmed and his teachers; if I discovered what looks like the epitome of the classic briefcase bomb, including spiffy electronics with a countdown timer, then I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I would likely raise some alarm. I'm not going to play Russian roulette with anyones safety. Consider if it was a bomb. Not because he's brown or Muslim. But because he's a messed up young lad who isn't thinking clear. You know, like Columbine and Sandy Hook but white and not Muslim. The school and the police did the right thing. I'm sorry if Ahmed is insulted, I am happy that someone reported something suspicious.

Minors can be persecuted. People can be detained.

RickDaTuner
09-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Ven

Yup, those are all of the popular buzz words. How can you prove, or disprove, that anything negative coming from this is because he's brown and a Muslim? I don't know. So why do people gravitate to that and cut their own throats immediately when there's no way to correlate the two other than reactionary public opinion?

What I do know is that doing something is better than doing nothing in this case. With respect to not knowing the exact verbatim between Ahmed and his teachers; if I discovered what looks like the epitome of the classic briefcase bomb, including spiffy electronics with a countdown timer, then I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I would likely raise some alarm. I'm not going to play Russian roulette with anyones safety. Consider if it was a bomb. Not because he's brown or Muslim. But because he's a messed up young lad who isn't thinking clear. You know, like Columbine and Sandy Hook but white and not Muslim. The school and the police did the right thing. I'm sorry if Ahmed is insulted, I am happy that someone reported something suspicious.

Minors can be persecuted. People can be detained.

Get your head out of your ass... There are laws and procedures that govern these exact situations.

It's situations like these that the Patriot Act abuses, and our Very own Bill C51 Encroaches on with same virtues. Would you like to be thrown in jail just because your TV remote broke, and you took it with you while grocery shopping in hopes to buy a universal replacement, only to be thrown in jail because some one decided it was a type of detonation devise?

You have in different words already expressed what I have stated, But that does not mean that anyone had any justifiable legal means to criminally persecute this young man, or even to detain him.

Fear mongering, and unjust discrimination is what brought this about.

Social experiments have been conducted when racial profiling escalates a given situation. For example in a sate like Texas where there have Open Carry laws, A White teen and Black were both separately filmed carrying an Assault style rifle slung over their shoulders. The white teen was merely stopped and questions, while the black teen was forced to the ground, handcuffed while an entire police district was dispatched to apprehend the individuals.

If the teachers had a legitimate concern of what was happening with this young man, then they should have conducted an investigation through the proper channels, one which the CIA, or the FBI were more than capable of handling.

Even the tone, and syntax of Obamas response through twitter speaks volumes to how the local Police department handled the situation.

'Sorry for the incompetence of your teachers and police department, now please accept this trip to my house as an apology'

Thats what the tweet says when you read between the lines.

M.alex
09-20-2015, 01:53 AM

If Obama Openly invited him to the white house, that in itself should tell you that this Kid is Guiltless.
He's the president of the United States, obviously there was some sort of background check on the family, and their ties prior to him asking his twitter handler to post the tweet.

The United States Duty in todays Society is to ensure that the Bigotry and ignorance portrayed by some Americans - does not take hold in mainstream thinking.

If the world can see that, then America is one step closer to taking leave of the extremist muslims who persecute it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cancer man
09-20-2015, 03:49 AM
Go to the embassy DT and before you enter the elevator you have to leave all electronic devices
including your key F.O.B downstairs. No Paranoia Here.

ickyflex
09-20-2015, 11:03 AM
aGit-XltUB4

Good debate

googe
09-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Haha, Chris Matthews is the first one to really make sense in that clip.

"The problem is our willingness to take sides in a fight like this without even knowing what the hell happened. Everybody goes right to their battlestations. How do you know? I wasn't there, you weren't there, everybody's an expert"

OTown
09-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Haha, Chris Matthews is the first one to really make sense in that clip.

&quot;The problem is our willingness to take sides in a fight like this without even knowing what the hell happened. Everybody goes right to their battlestations. How do you know? I wasn't there, you weren't there, everybody's an expert&quot;

So very well said. Its so true and sums up everything wrong with society and the media the last few years.

ickyflex
09-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by OTown

So very well said. Its so true and sums up everything wrong with society and the media the last few years.

I agree, just look at every animal video on facebook. ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!! haha

Toma
09-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Yup. its actually surprising still how intolerant and bigoted America is. From the fat habitual divorcer doesn't believe in gay marriage, presidential candidates openky sayibg a muslim shoukd not be president, racial profiling etc.

Its a disgusitng scene, for a modern "developed" country

phreezee
09-20-2015, 09:53 PM
aGit-XltUB4

Good debate

Didn't know Maher was still around and Cuban was so political. Thanks for the post.

gwill
09-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Wow someone's gone full retard here. I don't think someone's read the actual stories or thread before posting.

I read this morning nerds are claiming Ahmed never built a clock. Allegedly He used parts from another clock. Now it's turned into a conspiracy with nerds claiming he had an agenda. I can't believe the stuff we read in the news....

riander5
09-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by gwill
Wow someone's gone full retard here. I don't think someone's read the actual stories or thread before posting.

I read this morning nerds are claiming Ahmed never built a clock. Allegedly He used parts from another clock. Now it's turned into a conspiracy with nerds claiming he had an agenda. I can't believe the stuff we read in the news....

Not an agenda, maybe he isnt a genius clock creator and just ripped a wal mart clock apart. Is that so hard to believe?? Who makes a fucking clock anways

gwill
09-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Not hard to believe but the article I read is creating a conspiracy theory like the kid planned everything that happened. Yes he planned everything...

codetrap
09-21-2015, 10:57 AM

Toma
09-21-2015, 11:06 AM
wow. lol

gretz
09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by gwill
Not hard to believe but the article I read is creating a conspiracy theory like the kid planned everything that happened. Yes he planned everything...

Could the kid and his family not have planned something? Put your tinfoil hats on boys lol.

I'll throw one out:

-Muslim kid makes this "countdown timer", looks like a bomb, was arrested
-Gets released, full apologies, even shows his family graciously bringing pizza to the media to show the harmlessness of this fluffy family
-Gets invited to the Whitehouse....................brings said homemade "countdown timer"..........

Either way, what the kid did was fucking stupid and he deserved what came to him. Oh, he was targeted because he was Muslim? Okay, then he's a stupid Muslim then lol