PDA

View Full Version : OEM vs Replica Rims - how to tell the difference?

RX_EVOLV
09-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Is there a way to tell whether a set of rims are OEM ( Audi/VW) or replica?

tirebob
09-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Lots of things give it away, but it varies with the rim. Usually the best way is to look at the stamping and cast marks. Replicas will not have oem names etc...

zipdoa
11-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
Lots of things give it away, but it varies with the rim. Usually the best way is to look at the stamping and cast marks. Replicas will not have oem names etc...

I just went through this identifying unicorn B5 RS4 18x8.5 9-spokes.

If in doubt take pics and post on the relevant Quattroworld forum.

Keep in mind that you might have Genuine Audi wheels stamped as Ronals, Borbets, BBS, etc. Usually it will include a VAG Part #, Audi logo AND the manufacturer details (Borbet, 18x8.5J ET20)

GTS Jeff
12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
You can also tell because replicas never seem to balance properly, even with the correct lug bolts and hub rings. Doesn't matter if you do a road-force balance either. OE and high quality aftermarket are the only wheels to stay perfectly smooth 0-200km/h.

tirebob
12-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You can also tell because replicas never seem to balance properly, even with the correct lug bolts and hub rings. Doesn't matter if you do a road-force balance either. OE and high quality aftermarket are the only wheels to stay perfectly smooth 0-200km/h. Sorry man, but that is not true at all... Good quality wheels are good quality wheels. It doesn't matter if they are styled after OEM wheels or not. The comment on balance is not true. Balance is balance. You are countering the heavy spot with a weight on the opposite side, plain and simple. A wheel is made of metal and the heavy spots do not simply travel, changing the balance. Damage could affect that but all things being equal, even a shitty wheel is 100% capable of being balanced properly.

That said, if the replica wheel someone buys is not properly hub centric, or is built out of round etc, then you you could definitely experience a vibration, but it isn't coming from balance. It is coming from a poorly built product, and again, any reputable wheel manufacturer who is building OEM replica styles, and there are many of them, this is a non-issue.

I have sold thousands upon thousands of quality replica rims over the years, and I do not have any issues at all with the manufacturer we use. If I did I wouldn't sell them because fixing issues costs a lot more money than simply selling a wheel that works properly the first time...