PDA

View Full Version : Bike accident, abrasion to face, possibly need a dermatologist?

Atriux
09-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Had an accident on my mountain bike and had a bit of a face plant. Luckily it was mostly dirt, but a couple of rocks lead to some abrasions.

Ended up with a nice big abrasion on my forehead and cheekbone, but no deep cuts. The area was red, but there was no bleeding. I treated it like road rash (polysporin/vaseline, kept it clean, bandaged, etc), and put some sun block on, but now that it is healing I am noticing it is turning pretty dark.

I've never visited a dermatologist before, but would like to get a consult as soon as possible to mitigate possible long term outcomes.

Can someone recommend a good local dermatologist? Or if anyone has experienced this before, would love to hear how things turned out.

I'm just going by a bunch of 'ask a doctor' websites right now (not ideal, but all I have access to) and bought vitamin e oil, mederma, and silicone gel... hoping this goes away in a matter of weeks and not years!

..*JDM Hatch*..
09-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Normally when I have a big wreck on my bike and got serious road rash it would heal quite dark and stay that way for a month or so. After the time passed by the skin returns to its natural colour. I would let it heal for some time before going to a dermatologist to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

vengie
09-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Is it turning dark and hard? As in a scab? If so, you're fine, let your body do its thing.

Or is it becoming increasingly tender and red (infection)

You do not need a dermatologist. If it is infact getting increasingly sore and red, seek care from a doctor who will prescribe antibiotics and perhaps a cream.

Have you never had a cut before?

Oh and, chicks dig scars.

..*JDM Hatch*..
09-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Forgot to add that, if it does get sore just go to your family doctor and they will prescribe a topical cream to use on it.

phreezee
09-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Pick some of this up from Shoppers https://www.mederma.ca/en/

firebane
09-17-2015, 05:30 AM
I sustained 2nd degree burns to my face and you can't even see where they are anymore.

the body heals up pretty well on its own.

bjstare
09-17-2015, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't be too shook about it. I fell on my face in a skate park when I was a teen, full on road rash on my cheek, jaw, upper lip. No visible scars after a few months IIRC. I've also dumped a streetbike and had a pretty bad spill on a long board while wearing only shorts and a tee (more road rash than I'd ever wish on anyone), and those scars (except the real bad ones that I lost a ton of skin on) are very very tough to see. The surface abrasion marks only stuck around for about a year on that one. And I didn't use any fancy vitamins and oils like you are haha, so you shouldn't be too worried.