View Full Version : Best Used 7-Seater SUV

flipstah
09-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Just thinking of what vehicle fits the criteria below:

- 7 seater
- Used
- Off-road capable (has 4H/4L)
- Towing capabilities

The one I can think of is an old Discovery or an LR4 but those are pricey to fix.

Are Armada's any good?

Price point is irrelevant as this is just discussion.

jacky4566
09-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Armada's are great. I know the Cat ski companies use them for getting people into the mountains.
Other choices would be Infiniti QX80, Mercedes-Benz GL, Or Audi Q7 if you are baller.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Sequioas and American Land Cruisers are far superior to the Armada in my experiences.

Personally I like the GMC Denali for a full sized capable truck with 7 seats.

killramos
09-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Expedition?

speedog
09-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Is there a budget and/or minimum age?

Looking for luxury or are non-heated seats okay?

Durability a factor?

nokiemens
09-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Lr3s can be had for a good price. They've depreciated like a rock so that somewhat offsets the higher maintenance costs (relative to Japanese options).

Owned one before and it was a beast in winter. It was reliable for us and the weak spot is the suspension (I.e air suspension). We replaced it with a range rover supercharged but we still miss the lr and it was very capable and the 7 seat option was great. The back two seats can actually sit adults fairly comfortably. Also had an amazing turning radius for a truck.

Key is finding a good independent mechanic and we have a few really good ones that specialize in rovers. Dealer charges an arm and leg to do suspension work.

flipstah
09-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Armada's are great. I know the Cat ski companies use them for getting people into the mountains.
Other choices would be Infiniti QX80, Mercedes-Benz GL, Or Audi Q7 if you are baller.

Are the baller recommendations able to handle off-road trails? Methinks not. I was thinking G-Wagon but I don't think they're 7-seaters.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Sequioas and American Land Cruisers are far superior to the Armada in my experiences.

Personally I like the GMC Denali for a full sized capable truck with 7 seats.

American Land Cruisers are sweet! Zipdoa has one!

Originally posted by killramos
Expedition?

Didn't think of that. Thanks!

Originally posted by speedog
Is there a budget and/or minimum age?

Looking for luxury or are non-heated seats okay?

Durability a factor?

No budget but let's say >25 yrs old and luxury isn't a big deal. Durability would be nice.

Originally posted by nokiemens
Lr3s can be had for a good price. They've depreciated like a rock so that somewhat offsets the higher maintenance costs (relative to Japanese options).

Owned one before and it was a beast in winter. It was reliable for us and the weak spot is the suspension (I.e air suspension). We replaced it with a range rover supercharged but we still miss the lr and it was very capable and the 7 seat option was great. The back two seats can actually sit adults fairly comfortably. Also had an amazing turning radius for a truck.

Key is finding a good independent mechanic and we have a few really good ones that specialize in rovers. Dealer charges an arm and leg to do suspension work.

LR3's are sweet and are capable off-road but that maintenance cost... Scary.

Though that's the best SUV that I can think off that ticks all.

FixedGear
09-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Land Rovers suck. I've had two Discovery IIs, totally unreliable and both literally started to fall apart and run like shit when they were like 3 years old (~ 60000k iirc). I'd never buy or recommend a LR again.

Shlade
09-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Land rovers are garbage like fixedgear said. I've never seen a vehicle depreciate as much as those hunks of shit. Almost as bad as an escalade.

Expedition has my vote

thinmyster
09-20-2015, 02:58 PM
We have a MY 2000 - 100 series land cruiser and I love it. It was brought up from the states by the PO. 170k miles and still truckin.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Get a Land Cruiser, but make sure it has at least 37s and good door seals before tackling Waiprous :)

Sorry zip I had to.

flipstah
09-20-2015, 03:24 PM
I'd rather do a turbo diesel engine swap on the Land Rover before getting rid of it. The overland tenting that we saw yesterday got me thinking haha.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
09-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Volvo XC90? seems to meet the criteria.

flipstah
09-20-2015, 03:31 PM
No way in hell an XC90 can go off-road lol.

fiveowed
09-20-2015, 03:35 PM
lx570

R-Audi
09-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Lexus GX?

killramos
09-20-2015, 03:48 PM
I think the KISS Rule applies here. Not sure why people are recommending infinities and Lexus's for serious off road usage.

Honestly expeditions are duty vehicles, an F150 that seats 7. Meant for things like towing. Good clearance. Aftermarket support by taking basically anything you can bolt to an F150. Cheap to maintain and fix.

Another great option is the Yukon 2500 diesel if you can find one.

flipstah
09-20-2015, 04:00 PM
What's the Lexus SUV that's just a rebadged Land Cruiser?

Canucks3322
09-20-2015, 04:28 PM
If you're poorer like myself, here's what I have as a camping/bad winter days vehicle that fits your needs...I'm also thinking of selling it to get a fun little manual AWD vehicle for the coming winter....

2006 Pathfinder LE (R51 body style, last year it had the truck platform and real 4x4 with high and low)
Auto, fully loaded, dark blue
2 sets of stock rims, the all seasons are about 40-50%, the winters are almost brand new
274,000km...previous owner bought it at 100,000km and used to drive from Evanston to Olds M-F, that's 80km each way, he did that till I bought last May at 26X,XXXkm

He had the tranny rebuilt and the coolant hose re-routed, I replaced the original radiator a few months ago, so the dreaded coolant/tranny issue is taken care of....other than the car is in perfect running order with a brand new windshield too with just one small dent from a rock (no splitting yet).....it also has the tow package and the 7 sets you want.

Oh ya, CEL comes on every 150-300km for 420/430 code, it's emissions related but I have not noticed any decrease in power and fuel consumption the entire time Ive owned it, I just read the code and clear it (you can easily put in a O2 sensor extender to clear it for good)...and also TPMS sensor light is on for 1 or more sensors dead, I'm too poor to replace them haha and I check my own tire pressures any ways...

I'd sure as hell stay the fuck away from Land Rovers or Volvo too (LOL) if you don't know how to fix cars or if you don't want a car that's going to be a headache, stick to Nissans and Toyotas...

Also, forgot to mention...rear window flips upward, the 4runner rolls down, this is AWESOME for hauling lumber...

The 6/7th seats are for kids though lol...

thinmyster
09-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
What's the Lexus SUV that's just a rebadged Land Cruiser?
LX 470

or the newer LX 570 if you really want to ball offroad

That.Guy.S30
09-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by killramos
I think the KISS Rule applies here. Not sure why people are recommending infinities and Lexus's for serious off road usage.

Honestly expeditions are duty vehicles, an F150 that seats 7. Meant for things like towing. Good clearance. Aftermarket support by taking basically anything you can bolt to an F150. Cheap to maintain and fix.

Another great option is the Yukon 2500 diesel if you can find one.

The lexus LX aka land cruiser is one of the most capable off road cars out there. Shitty that we get the 4.7 or 5.7 gas engines. The turbo diesel engines are the best.

flipstah
09-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Damn, that's baller. And a Lexus is $12k on Kijiji.

Meanwhile, an Armada is $5k and LR3's are $8k WTF. :eek:

Canucks3322
09-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Why are so into Armada's? More room/space than a Pathfinder? I personally think they are butt ugly and the interiors are even worse...

flipstah
09-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Why are so into Armada's? More room/space than a Pathfinder? I personally think they are butt ugly and the interiors are even worse...

Aren't they the same? The Armada name disappeared and the Pathfinder became the big boy. :confused:

Weapon_R
09-20-2015, 05:15 PM
I'll recommend the 5th gen Toyota 4Runner LTD. 7 seats, capable offroader and well equipped...that's why I just picked one up :burnout:

Redlined_8000
09-20-2015, 05:45 PM

Aren't they the same? The Armada name disappeared and the Pathfinder became the big boy. :confused:

Nissan Armada shares the same platform as the Titan. 5.6L engine.

After checking out a used nissan titan, no way I would ever consider a armada. Build quality and reliability are horrible!

Canucks3322
09-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Ya Titans and Amarda's do not have a good reputation...

Tik-Tok
09-20-2015, 06:41 PM
I know you're more into imports Flipstah, but can't beat the simplicity of a 90's Suburban, Exlpoder, or Expedition.

Peyto
09-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster

LX 470

or the newer LX 570 if you really want to ball offroad

The GX 460 is also heavily based off of the LC Prado and is capable offroad and I believe can be had with a third row.

Cos
09-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Xtrema
09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
4runner is still a truck right? Where everyone else are now crossdressers.

that should tough as nails and I recall the had horrible 3rd roll but good for kids.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-20-2015, 08:32 PM
flipstah with a 7-seater? You get somebody pregnant with quadruplets?

Answer to original question: '09/'10 Jeep Commander with the updated 5.7L.

flipstah
09-20-2015, 10:23 PM
I like the room. I like to think ahead.

My dress shirts aren't going to make themselves. Tiny hands are good for sewing buttons.

The 7 seater was a way to weed out a lot of options. There's a lot of better choices on a 5 seater stick shift, like a early 90s Pathfinder IMO.

flipstah
09-21-2015, 12:03 AM
How much would you sell that Pathfinder, Canucks3322?

There's a lot of cheap 4x4s in manual transmission on Kijiji! Not 7 seater but damn, I could buy one and walk away if I don't like it.

ercchry
09-21-2015, 12:57 AM
wtf is wrong with you... :rofl:

could always go with a durango, the gen thats basically a 7 seater ram with the hemi and limited package.. parents have one. its had small issues over the years, but the purchase price now is basically free... so :dunno:

flipstah
09-21-2015, 01:44 AM
I like learning about trucks. They're neat.

killramos
09-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Ya Titans and Amarda's do not have a good reputation...

I think its funny how you see time and time again people who would never consider the Titan ( for good reason) but debate the Armada.

:dunno:

To the person who asked the question the 4Runner is still a truck ( one of the few 1/4 ton based SUV's with decent capability out there now) but even if it comes with the seats i wouldn't call it a seats 7. Similar to the BMW X5. :rofl:

Paul
09-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Love my Armada, had it for about 6 years now. Towing capacity over 9,000 lbs, tons of interior space and more power than I'll ever need, this this has been a rock. Truck has over 273,000 Kms on it now, only thing, other than regular oil / fluids, that's needed addressing was the rear suspension - but that's likely due to it being my towing rig.

I'll be looking to upgrade to a newer one next year, would not hesitate for a second to buy another.

blownz
09-21-2015, 08:47 AM
I have a 2011 Ford Expedition Limited and a buddy of mine has a 2010 Infiniti QX56 and I would definitely recommend the Expedition over the QX. With similar mileage, his feels like driving a 10 year old vehicle. Squeaks and rattles and it is constantly in the shop for something expensive.

This is the second new Expedition I purchased (2006 before this) and while they aren't standouts tech wise, they are solid vehicles and great for towing. The 3rd row in them is way better than in the GM full size SUV's too since it has the independent rear suspension so it can fold flat into the floor.

If you do decide to go this way, I will be selling mine soon to replace with a 2016. Mine has aftermarket wheels and 20" studded hakka's on the factory wheels for winter. :thumbsup:

TYMSMNY
09-21-2015, 08:52 AM
^ both not suitable for 4x4.

I would consider the Land Cruisers/LX or a LR Discos or a Gwagon. Though I don't think the G came with 7 seaters....

G
09-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Paul
Love my Armada, had it for about 6 years now. Towing capacity over 9,000 lbs, tons of interior space and more power than I'll ever need, this this has been a rock. Truck has over 273,000 Kms on it now, only thing, other than regular oil / fluids, that's needed addressing was the rear suspension - but that's likely due to it being my towing rig.

I'll be looking to upgrade to a newer one next year, would not hesitate for a second to buy another.

I bought an 2015 Armada 6 months ago and I find that for full size SUVs you can't beat what you get. I paid $60k OTD, this thing is fully loaded, towing up to 9000lbs, blue tooth, navigation, power lift gate, power third row, leather, 2 dvd systems, decent power, heated seats, heated steering wheel.

For the equivalent Toyota Sequoia I was looking at $16k more. The MB GL550 and the Lexus are full size but not nearly as big as the Armada or Sequoia especially the storage space when the third row is up.

It is a gas guzzler though but I only requires regular.

I think my Armada looks pretty sweet!

http://i.imgur.com/ZKyG6Yq.jpg

Wife says thing is massive:thumbsup:
http://i.imgur.com/GhcJdcR.jpg?2

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-21-2015, 09:35 AM
G Wagen is the only way Flipstah. Ballin while you wheel.

Cos
09-21-2015, 09:38 AM

Mitsu3000gt
09-21-2015, 09:44 AM
We used an Armada to bring 7 adults, all our gear, and a 23ft wakeboarding boat to the mountains every weekend for 8 years. It was also a daily driver family hauler when it wasn't doing that. That thing was awesome - never skipped a single beat, and had no issues in all that time over all those hard KM.

G
09-21-2015, 09:51 AM
If you don't want a minivan but need to haul the family around this is what you need. A minivan can seat 7/8 but inside you're packed in like sardines.

AndyL
09-21-2015, 03:48 PM
:dunno: http://www.ujointoffroad.com/images/372_Beitz2.JPG
That oughta offroad in style and comfortably for 10ish ;)

gpomp
09-21-2015, 03:56 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1505_the_big_test_large_luxury_suvs/viewall.html

dirtsniffer
09-21-2015, 09:11 PM
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/GX/Calgary/Alberta/5_25321400_200462384015706/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_4

italianstylez
09-21-2015, 10:59 PM
Excursion ?

mrsingh
07-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Bump to an old thread. We currently have a 2013 Lexus RX350, but we are starting to think it is a little small. We travel a lot and it has a small trunk, in addition my parents come to visit from BC on a fairly regular basis, with us having two kids it means having to take a second car whenever we go anywhere.

Does anyone have experience with a 2013 or 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL550? If so; how has the reliability been, do you have any regrets on buying this versus another vehicle in the class?

OU812
07-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Suburban

JohnnyHockey
07-21-2016, 01:29 PM
So the QX56 is exactly the same as an Armada and just as awesome?

rage2
07-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh
Bump to an old thread. We currently have a 2013 Lexus RX350, but we are starting to think it is a little small. We travel a lot and it has a small trunk, in addition my parents come to visit from BC on a fairly regular basis, with us having two kids it means having to take a second car whenever we go anywhere.

Does anyone have experience with a 2013 or 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL550? If so; how has the reliability been, do you have any regrets on buying this versus another vehicle in the class?
My dad has a first year diesel GL. He loves it. It seems to be fairly reliable, but from what I've seen, when things do go south, it's a lot of $ to fix.

He loves it though, even tho he's retired and doesn't even need the space aside from picking up grandkids here and there.

muse017
07-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Looking for reliablility?
LX570 or Sequoia if you dont mind ugliness of both vehicle.
I have never own GL but from what I heard it's fairly reliable but not lexus/toyota good.

Kloubek
07-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but I think it is important to know how much of the vehicle would be used for grocery getting, and how much would be actual offroad use. And when you say offroad, do you mean actually offroading trails like you would take on with a 4" lifted Jeep, or are you talking very light offroading where you just need regular tires and preferably decent ground clearance?

There was a flurry of hate in here for Land Rover, and for good reason. However, the newer ones have tended to improve the reliability over the old 90's models, which were atrocious. I've actually heard good things about the LR3 in general, and as mentioned, their prices have plummeted. Something like that would also be good for moderate trail use. Something like the Armada, I wouldn't suggest it.

flipstah
07-21-2016, 03:15 PM
LR3's are sweet. The air suspension goes bust in the Land Rover's, so they go coilovers.

Xtrema
07-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
There was a flurry of hate in here for Land Rover, and for good reason. However, the newer ones have tended to improve the reliability over the old 90's models, which were atrocious. I've actually heard good things about the LR3 in general, and as mentioned, their prices have plummeted. Something like that would also be good for moderate trail use. Something like the Armada, I wouldn't suggest it.

http://jalopnik.com/my-range-rover-s-carmax-warranty-is-now-half-over-and-i-1733772237

Kloubek
07-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Ok, firstly, I said "tended". Second, it looks to me like that guy has one of the first years of the L322, which was very much hit and miss (more miss?) when it came to quality improvement.

I've read the LR3 was of reasonable reliability compared to Land Rover of yore. With that said, I too am in the market for a towing/camping/offroad vehicle, and I've still been reluctant to move on an LR3 because I'm not convinced that reliability has improved enough for me to want to take a chance.

flipstah
07-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Ok, firstly, I said "tended". Second, it looks to me like that guy has one of the first years of the L322, which was very much hit and miss (more miss?) when it came to quality improvement.

I've read the LR3 was of reasonable reliability compared to Land Rover of yore. With that said, I too am in the market for a towing/camping/offroad vehicle, and I've still been reluctant to move on an LR3 because I'm not convinced that reliability has improved enough for me to want to take a chance.

Live vicariously through me. I'm looking for a Disco II SE7 or an LR3.

ercchry
07-21-2016, 04:14 PM

.... You're ridiculous :rofl:

mrsingh
07-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by rage2

My dad has a first year diesel GL. He loves it. It seems to be fairly reliable, but from what I've seen, when things do go south, it's a lot of $ to fix.

He loves it though, even tho he's retired and doesn't even need the space aside from picking up grandkids here and there.

My wife will mainly be the one driving it, I like the diesel but am leaning towards the 550 because of the turbocharged V8. Understanding your Dad's GL is a first generation so there are some differences, what are some of the problems he has had with it? I have never heard of a Mercedes being cheap to fix, if it's fairly reliable I'm okay with that. If it's in the shop every week that is a different story.

You sir are a sucker for punishment! :poosie:

rage2
07-21-2016, 07:34 PM
My dad hasn't had a problem yet. Buddy of mine has a 550 and the transfer case went. $10k repair.

Buster
07-21-2016, 07:34 PM
I've got a 2012 gl350 diesel. Great vehicle. It's not built on a truck chassis so the internal packaging is better than an Armada or similar.

Maintenance is the usual Mercedes ridiculousness though.

mrsingh
07-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I think it may be worth going for a certified pre-owned to the get the piece of mind of the extended warranty.

Still looking for more feedback if anyone has any. This vehicle will be a pavement pounder, so no requirements to go offroad.

Buster
07-22-2016, 12:37 PM
My 2012 GL350 is a Doug Demuro carmax warranty special. haha.

Carmax has already paid out more than my warranty cost me back in 2013, when I bought the car "almost new".

mrsingh
07-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Buster

Carmax has already paid out more than my warranty cost me back in 2013, when I bought the car "almost new".

This is the kind of feedback i want, what sort of issues has it had?

max_boost
07-22-2016, 03:24 PM
My dad hasn't had a problem yet. Buddy of mine has a 550 and the transfer case went. $10k repair. Random! My transfer case just went on the 328 but it was music to my ears when the service adviser said *under warranty* haha :eek: The car is still in the shop right now.

Buster
07-22-2016, 03:51 PM

This is the kind of feedback i want, what sort of issues has it had?

Air suspension went. (Which is a wear item, so no surprise.)
Had some sort of issue with the heating for the add-blue shit.

I think about $4k for those, but covered by the warranty.

HiSpec
07-22-2016, 08:40 PM

Doug Demuro Carmax warranty special :rofl:

He sure got his money's worth with his Rover.

Buster
07-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Doug Demuro Carmax warranty special :rofl:

He sure got his money's worth with his Rover.

I think I paid $2600 for a 6 year, 100,000 MILE warranty on the GL. lol

mrsingh
07-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Was the warranty from Mercedes or a third party?

Buster
07-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Was the warranty from Mercedes or a third party?

probably best to google "Doug Demuro" and "Carmax", and "Land Rover" and you will have a ton of fun reading.

spoiler: you can't really do it any more.

mrsingh
07-22-2016, 11:29 PM

probably best to google "Doug Demuro" and "Carmax", and "Land Rover" and you will have a ton of fun reading.

spoiler: you can't really do it any more.

I do know who he is, I believe he bought an Aston Martin next. I guess that answers my question on where the warranty was offered from, thanks!

r3ccOs
07-23-2016, 11:41 AM
What I actually think the market needs, is a Heavy Duty Diesel based 7 seater again!!!

The suburban 2500 with the vortec is anemic, but throw in a Duramax and hey... You can actually take everyone and everything you need with you when you are towing that 42 foot 5th wheel that can sleep like 12.

ercchry
07-23-2016, 12:03 PM
I don't think a 5th wheel will work too well with an suv :rofl:

r3ccOs
07-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
I don't think a 5th wheel will work too well with an suv :rofl:

Oh ya lol but a big bumper puller

Xtrema
07-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Not 1st hand info but there was this ex Mercedes owner who shared a ride with me in an Audi service shuttle. He basically got loads of problem with his GL and the 3rd party warranty is stiffing him at every claim.

r3ccOs
07-25-2016, 10:16 PM
I saw some guy with a ML320 towing a big assed MBsport boat (triple axel) with oversized black wheels yesterday through Banff... gotta wonder how well those Merc MLs transmissions hold up compared to a domestic half ton

canadian_hustla
07-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Ok so it sounds like it is best to steer clear of the MB GL series. Good to know...

What about a used Audi Q7? Does anyone own one that can speak about the reliability, potential maitenance costs? You can get a 2007/2009 V8 model with 150000 kms for $17-$20ish...seems like u get a lot for your $$$

Reason I ask is because i am also in the market for a prowned large SUV (albeit luxury model). I have narrowed it down to the Audi Q7 and Lincoln Navigator. I like the Escalade, Mercedes GL and Range Rover as well but have crossed them off the list due to inherent issues with their reliability. The lexus lx and infiniti qx56 have great exterior styling but the inside is so basic/dated, and quite frankly its hard to justify spending the same $$$ for an older model

Btw caranddriver did a road test with a bunch of these models (2007) and the MB took first place, Audi 2nd, infinti was 3rd, cadillac 4th and the lincoln was 5th. Also, the Lincoln is the only one in the group that runs on regular gas :)

rage2
07-26-2016, 11:21 PM
I think you're going to find horror stories with every used large SUV as well as ridiculous repair costs. If reliability is your key attribute you're buying for, get a Lexus LX and call it a day. It won't be the most luxurious full sized SUV or the most fun to drive, but you're not going to be thrown many surprise repair bills and have some piece of mind.

nismodrifter
07-27-2016, 12:37 AM
GL320 CDI.

Get the engine sorted (turbo issues, swirl port, leaks, PCV system) and should be gold.

mrsingh
07-27-2016, 08:59 AM
I think you're going to find horror stories with every used large SUV as well as ridiculous repair costs. If reliability is your key attribute you're buying for, get a Lexus LX and call it a day. It won't be the most luxurious full sized SUV or the most fun to drive, but you're not going to be thrown many surprise repair bills and have some piece of mind.

I can deal with paying for a warranty if it covers the major items, if it does not I am still able to pay for unforseen repair bills. Reliability is still a concern as always, but if I can get four good years out of it I am happy. As much as I try and fool myself that I will keep the car long term, the longest I have ever owned anything is three years before I got bored of it.

This whole car habit is an expensive one...

Buster
07-27-2016, 09:07 AM
I think the luxury/german SUVs do cost more to maintain.

An escalade/armada or something like that just doesn't have the technology of a GL diesel - air suspension, emissions stuff, etc.

Although the Germans rape you on regular maintenance too. The "come and let us check your filters ever XXXX miles" charges are outrageous.

rage2
07-27-2016, 12:08 PM
I can deal with paying for a warranty if it covers the major items, if it does not I am still able to pay for unforseen repair bills. Reliability is still a concern as always, but if I can get four good years out of it I am happy. As much as I try and fool myself that I will keep the car long term, the longest I have ever owned anything is three years before I got bored of it.

This whole car habit is an expensive one...
Get a CPO vehicle, extend warranty by 2 years and you're good to go. CPO cars are eligible for factory warranty extension. 3rd party warranties are a crapshoot. Gotta pay to play.

JohnnyHockey
07-29-2016, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
Ok so it sounds like it is best to steer clear of the MB GL series. Good to know...

What about a used Audi Q7? Does anyone own one that can speak about the reliability, potential maitenance costs? You can get a 2007/2009 V8 model with 150000 kms for $17-$20ish...seems like u get a lot for your $$$

Reason I ask is because i am also in the market for a prowned large SUV (albeit luxury model). I have narrowed it down to the Audi Q7 and Lincoln Navigator. I like the Escalade, Mercedes GL and Range Rover as well but have crossed them off the list due to inherent issues with their reliability. The lexus lx and infiniti qx56 have great exterior styling but the inside is so basic/dated, and quite frankly its hard to justify spending the same $$$ for an older model

Btw caranddriver did a road test with a bunch of these models (2007) and the MB took first place, Audi 2nd, infinti was 3rd, cadillac 4th and the lincoln was 5th. Also, the Lincoln is the only one in the group that runs on regular gas :)

Don't those Q7s have the same engine as the S4s? And the timing chain brakes randomly?

bjstare
07-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

Don't those Q7s have the same engine as the S4s? And the timing chain brakes randomly?

I think they share an engine, but that's not the problem they have. The issue is a 160k service interval to replace all the timing chain tensioners/guides that's pretty much an engine out $6k-$10k service.

vengie
07-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Not sure if its been mentioned here, but what about a Buick Enclave?

A co-worker just picked one up as his wife just had twins. Went from a Volvo XC60 R design to it and actually enjoy the Buick. They're very comfortable and drive quite well (from a passenger perspective).

andyg16
07-29-2016, 11:15 AM
We have an 07 GL450 and love it, it's a great family vehicle. I think it's close to about 165k on it now and honestly no major issues. The air suspension went a couple months ago which is the only expensive repairs that's been needed. Replaced all 4 shocks and compressor. The only part that scares me is it's getting to the 10 year mark and I'm hoping I don't see any of those $10k repair bills anytime soon! I've been thinking about trading it in for a new one lately, or else switch it up and go for a QX80.

Sdeibert
07-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by vengie
Not sure if its been mentioned here, but what about a Buick Enclave?

A co-worker just picked one up as his wife just had twins. Went from a Volvo XC60 R design to it and actually enjoy the Buick. They're very comfortable and drive quite well (from a passenger perspective).

Enclave's are only 5000lbs towing. Although it's probably
the best driving SUV we tried. I wouldn't purchase one new right now. As it's due for a refresh inside, they are still using controls from the previous gen GMC/Chev interior.

We're in the market for a 7 SUV, but need at bare minimum 7000lbs for one of those triple axle boats. Looking at the newer styled Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban units.

alien
08-08-2016, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

Dang, seriously? wasn't that the same thing with the old v8 s4 motor too? Guess that will also make me reconsider a Q7.

I guess to get into luxury off-road capable then is to look at lexus gx470/lx570 then?