PDA

View Full Version : Landscape fabric

Qadar
09-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Hello experts,,
please advise
i want to put gravel rocks on side of house. I saw this add for landscape fabric on kijiji. he is calling it woven fabric.
need opinion is it okay?
i dont want to make mistake and than redo all.

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-calgary/landscape-fabric/k0l1700199

94CoRd
09-22-2015, 02:09 PM
That looks fairly heavy duty, and price seems reasonable.

I have had good luck with the grey cloth-like fabric at home depot, but as long as its not that cheap thin black material, I think you should be good.

For some extra protection - I saved up all the boxes I would get from a costco run, and I put that underneath the weed fabric. I've been weed free in that area for 2 years... granted the cardboard will eventually decompose and I'll be left with just the fabric. But I would definitely recommend it :thumbsup:

Qadar
09-22-2015, 02:45 PM
94,,,Thanks

mr2mike
09-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Just double it up if you're concerned. No light... no growth.

Tik-Tok
09-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Just double it up if you're concerned. No light... no growth.

I doubled up my landscaping cloth for my fire pit area, still have shit growing through. Weeds pull out easily enough, but fuck is it annoying.

Seeds just need warmth, not sunlight to grow.

thinmyster
09-22-2015, 06:42 PM
I laid the thick black stuff from the garden center and I still have crab grass growing though a month later >:(

Lay poly? Or cardboard like was suggested above

eblend
09-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Old carpet :D
I used it in two places and it works much better then store bought shit we bought before..which may as well not be there at all.

kenny
09-22-2015, 07:58 PM
landscaping fabric is useless because weeds grow on top and then root downwards right through the fabric. If you pull the weeds out, you'll tear the fabric and pull up bits of dirt that will land on top of it as well and it just gets worse and worse.

raceman6135
09-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by kenny
landscaping fabric is useless because weeds grow on top

This has been my experience too, especially with things easily carried by the wind, like dandelions and such.

Just keep up with occasional spot spray of herbicide, or if you don't like using herbicides, burn them with a torch or try the salt trick.

speedog
09-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Just get Burnco to come over with some concrete - yards in the NE are weed free.

Shane@GoldRush
09-22-2015, 09:49 PM
Don't use poly...you might have some future water drainage issues (depending on the grade).

Kenny hit the nail on the head...there is no escaping the weeds. We use 4.01oz black cloth (thick enough that its hard to cut with a box cutter) and weeds still root themselves in the mulch and gravel above the fabric.