PDA

View Full Version : Evo Vs. STI still a thing?

Darkenergy
09-23-2015, 11:31 AM
I was just wondering to myself if the evo vs. STI is still a thing? the reason I ask is because it seems like Mitsu really haven't done anything to update their vehicle ever since its release. I know the STI have had different body styles throughout the years but I am unsure if they did anything to change the driving dynamics.

Also, with the S3 and VW R etc.... entering the market. Where do these "rally" cars actually stand now a days?

killramos
09-23-2015, 11:33 AM
Even mitsu has stated the evo is dead. So no it really isn't a thing. The car was literally released 10 years ago and hasn't changed since.

Mitsu will keep selling them so long as people keep buying them but they aren't even really relevant on a performance level any more.

gpomp
09-23-2015, 11:41 AM
The Evo X is still the performance benchmark for AWD cars. The 15+ STI comes close but for all out performance the Evo is still slightly better. There's really no comparison if you're talking about pre 2015 STI's.

rage2
09-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Speaking strictly about handling, I've heard the new STI handles like an EVO, meaning lots of fun. The EVO is the benchmark, but it hasn't changed much, and competitors are finally getting close to EVO performance. I'm surprised Mitsubishi is still around TBH. R32 isn't even comparable to an EVO. If you're talking Golf R, up to the last gen, you couldn't compare it either. The beauty of the EVO X is how well you can play with its ass in any cornering situation.

I need to drive the new STI, Golf R, and S3 to see how they rank. I ended up with a GLA45 because it's close to an EVO in terms of handling dynamics, just with a little less oversteer.

edit - I heard from gpomp. :rofl:

teggypimp95
09-23-2015, 11:48 AM
I wouldnt say the EVO X is the performance benchmark. I would say the EVO takes the prize for handling for sure.
Strightline speed the STI will take it. The Interior also goes to the STI. The Evo interior is beyond aweful. I also enjoy the more manual diff settings on the STi vs just the "Snow, Gravel, Tarmac" settings on the EVO. They are both great cars and have their Positives and Negitives, but i personally would choose an STi all day long.

Darkenergy
09-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Speaking strictly about handling, I've heard the new STI handles like an EVO, meaning lots of fun. The EVO is the benchmark, but it hasn't changed much, and competitors are finally getting close to EVO performance. I'm surprised Mitsubishi is still around TBH. R32 isn't even comparable to an EVO. If you're talking Golf R, up to the last gen, you couldn't compare it either. The beauty of the EVO X is how well you can play with its ass in any cornering situation.

I need to drive the new STI, Golf R, and S3 to see how they rank. I ended up with a GLA45 because it's close to an EVO in terms of handling dynamics, just with a little less oversteer.

edit - I heard from gpomp. :rofl:

Yup, sorry. definitely meant the VW

2000impreza
09-23-2015, 11:59 AM
The 15 sti might come close in handling but the engine is still terrible. I'm not sure why Subaru kept the same crappy engine in the new Sti.

Kijho
09-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Love the new 15/16's .. I think it's still a thing. The enthusiasts backing each make remains huge.

heavyD
09-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
I wouldnt say the EVO X is the performance benchmark. I would say the EVO takes the prize for handling for sure.
Strightline speed the STI will take it. The Interior also goes to the STI. The Evo interior is beyond aweful. I also enjoy the more manual diff settings on the STi vs just the "Snow, Gravel, Tarmac" settings on the EVO. They are both great cars and have their Positives and Negitives, but i personally would choose an STi all day long.

You talking MR? The GSR is as fast or faster in a straight line than any STI and when you do simple tunes the gap widens in the EVO's favor as it makes more power easier.

The 2010 EVO X SE was essentially a GSR with the MR transmission and as you can see here it's easily faster than the last gen STI in this comparison;

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1101_2011_subaru_wrx_sti_2010_mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_comparison/viewall.html

HiTempguy1
09-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Evo is done after 2015 :dunno: So its not really a thing, but I wouldn't own an Evo out of warranty, all of that speed comes from somewhere and it costs $$$ to maintain compared to a STi.

KRyn
09-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Evo is done after 2015 :dunno: So its not really a thing, but I wouldn't own an Evo out of warranty, all of that speed comes from somewhere and it costs $$$ to maintain compared to a STi.

I wouldn't own another EJ25 out of warranty either. Those hunks of junks are ticking time bombs. How much more can maintenance be on a manual Evo vs a STI?

msommers
09-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Evidently, it's still a thing :rofl:

That.Guy.S30
09-23-2015, 01:51 PM
It'll be a thing till the end of time. The thing subaru has going for them is the price. The STI has basically been the same for 12 years. Just gets cheaper.

HiTempguy1
09-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

I wouldn't own another EJ25 out of warranty either. Those hunks of junks are ticking time bombs. How much more can maintenance be on a manual Evo vs a STI?

The ej25 has never been the problem, its either been the tune (easily remedied) or cracked oil pickup (also cheap/easy to do). The motor itself is fine :dunno:

The Evo on the other hand... $1800 alone for just the AYC/AWC pump that WILL fail in the cold and isn't covered under warranty (or seems to be a lot of people being denied). Price not including labour. Plus other issues.

At the end of the day, fast cars are expensive to own. No doubt the Evo X is faster, if they firesell them (looks like you can get 0% financing on them right now :eek: ), might pick one up next year if there are any left, who knows ;)

georgemagana
09-23-2015, 02:32 PM

The ej25 has never been the problem, its either been the tune (easily remedied) or cracked oil pickup (also cheap/easy to do). The motor itself is fine :dunno:

The Evo on the other hand... $1800 alone for just the AYC/AWC pump that WILL fail in the cold and isn't covered under warranty (or seems to be a lot of people being denied). Price not including labour. Plus other issues.

At the end of the day, fast cars are expensive to own. No doubt the Evo X is faster, if they firesell them (looks like you can get 0% financing on them right now :eek: ), might pick one up next year if there are any left, who knows ;)

The AYC pump IS covered under warranty now, even on modded cars.

When you modd and tune both cars, there is simply no comparison on money spent to power.

heavyD
09-23-2015, 02:44 PM

I've owned both cars and they both have their pros and cons but the EJ257 is a fragile engine regardless of tune. The lifespan of the engine is short no matter how you take care of it or if you mod it or not as a bad tank of gas can be enough to crack piston 4. As well these engines are notorious for spinning rod bearings. There's nothing beefy about the internals as it's a parts bin engine that Subaru has stretched within an inch of its life. The 4B11 engine in the EVO X is beefy in comparison as it comes with Mahle forged pistons, 4-bolt crank, semi-closed deck.

I found the Cobb maps actually make noticeable power increase in Calgary on an EVO X while their maps for STI (even Stg. 2) make very marginal power improvements with our gasoline as I had to get a tune from Sunny to extract power from the car on par with an EVO X on Cobb Stg. 2.

IMO maintenance is par for the course with an AWD performance car and if you expect Civic like upkeep you will be disappointed but if taken care of both can be fair on the wallet. They can both be costly if you get a bad one as well.

tomt64
09-23-2015, 02:58 PM

:confused:

The EJ25 is a fat problem.

Head gasket problems
ring land problems
oil pick up cracking/breaking
oil pump problems
main/con rod bearings
wrist pin problems [in early non oil squirter models]

Im sure theres more... I know many people that have had numerous problems with these.

I own 2 of them so its not like Im hating on the product. The 2l and 2.2l engines were amazing, oh well.

Darkenergy
09-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Evidently, it's still a thing :rofl:

Is it though? Like I consider myself to be the type that enjoys the drive more than luxury. But given the choice of a Focus RS or VW R. I don't know if I would take the STI.

EDIT: Not saying a Focus is luxurious or anything.

Redlyne_mr2
09-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Add the Golf R to the list.

zieg
09-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
The 15 sti might come close in handling but the engine is still terrible. I'm not sure why Subaru kept the same crappy engine in the new Sti.

Because they rushed it to market. The evo might be old but the EJ257 is older. Disapprove.

ToXicXxX
09-23-2015, 05:22 PM
When in doubt, switch to Toyota xD

Tik-Tok
09-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by tomt64

The 2l and 2.2l engines were amazing, oh well.

The EJ205 is amazing? :nut:

Originally posted by ZiG-87

Because they rushed it to market. The evo might be old but the EJ257 is older. Disapprove.

Did they rush it, or was it a calculated move? Give it another year or two, and a brand new engine will be put in the current body for a "refresh", which will have anyone with a current gen. clamoring to get the better one.

That.Guy.S30
09-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Did they rush it, or was it a calculated move? Give it another year or two, and a brand new engine will be put in the current body for a "refresh", which will have anyone with a current gen. clamoring to get the better one.

Maybe he meant the EJ207. Those are good engines.
Version 7 spec C was the best engine subaru ever built.

tomt64
09-23-2015, 06:08 PM

The EJ205 is amazing?

How about far better than the 25. Ok amazing is a stretch. :rofl:

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30

Maybe he meant the EJ207. Those are good engines.
Version 7 spec C was the best engine subaru ever built.

:thumbsup:

zieg
09-23-2015, 07:12 PM

One of the subaru reps I spoke with told me (after I said the same thing as you) that Subaru really hates to change engines mid-model. And historically, he was right. No way that was a calculated move with the WRX got the DI engine..

4doorj
09-23-2015, 07:32 PM
I've own/owned both. The evo x felt faster, modded lightly way faster.
STI interior crappy but 10x better then the evo x interior.

Blowing a motor in the STI always on the back of my mind. And a main reason lots of people sell theirs. Evo x motor seems to be pretty solid compared to the STI motor.

I love both!

2015 EVO X gsr you can now get loaded (leather, sunroof, spoiler,HIDs). Honestly if I knew that was coming out I might of leaned more towards the evo x again instead of the 2015 STI.

Tik-Tok
09-23-2015, 07:38 PM

One of the subaru reps I spoke with told me (after I said the same thing as you) that Subaru really hates to change engines mid-model. And historically, he was right. No way that was a calculated move with the WRX got the DI engine..

2006 WRX got an engine update. Two years before a whole new platform.

zieg
09-23-2015, 07:42 PM
True, but I never said never. And that was a pretty minor change, wasn't it?

Tik-Tok
09-23-2015, 07:55 PM
True, but I never said never. And that was a pretty minor change, wasn't it?

EJ205 to EJ255 that's pretty major in the context of the conversation about whether or not they would introduce a new engine on this platform, lol.

heavyD
09-23-2015, 08:11 PM

The EJ205 in the JDM STI is a much better engine than the EJ257. Problem is it couldn't pass emissions here.

zieg
09-23-2015, 09:50 PM

EJ205 to EJ255 that's pretty major in the context of the conversation about whether or not they would introduce a new engine on this platform, lol.

mmmh, still ej to ej. i feel that it's a substantially less major change than going from an EJ to a FB or whatever the fuck they're calling the new one..

diamondedge
09-28-2015, 12:57 PM

mmmh, still ej to ej. i feel that it's a substantially less major change than going from an EJ to a FB or whatever the fuck they're calling the new one..

FA20 twin scroll turbo FTW

To Evo drivers:
Do other Evo owners wave to you, when you drive your Evo? I've always wondered.

Khyron
09-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Buddy just was comparing a 16 sti to the latest Evo - he wanted a dsg/auto which put points in the Evo camp but couldn't get over the interior and refinement. So he bought a manual 16 STI Sportech. Should be fine as long as he leaves it stock and rides out the warranty.

jsn
09-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

Blowing a motor in the STI always on the back of my mind. And a main reason lots of people sell theirs.

I'm sure the issue is over inflated as you only hear noise when people blow their engines. No one ever reports when their engines functions as intended.

That being said, I can't help but always have that in the back of my mind as well. I've considered selling mine for the peace of mind but the car has always been a (realistic) dream car of mine since I was a kid so I still have it.

Squishy
09-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by diamondedge

FA20 twin scroll turbo FTW

To Evo drivers:
Do other Evo owners wave to you, when you drive your Evo? I've always wondered.
I've had a guy in an evo in front of me wave in his mirror & when I pulled up beside another evo the other day we gave each other a head nod, so I would say yeah.