PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor: to buy or not to buy...?

Sykes
09-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Canadian Tire has a good price on a 26G compressor right now, but it's got a direct drive, oil-less motor. Rated at 2HP (but likely not on 120V?). I know enough about compressors to know belt drives are ideal, but for $229, is it worth considering?

It'll be used at home in my garage to run the usual air tools: impact, ratchet, hammer, and grinder (it's the Maximum set CT sells)

Here's the link (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-hardware/air-tools-compressors-accessories/compressors/mastercraft-26g-compressor-matte-1998556p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default)

ExtraSlow
09-23-2015, 01:02 PM
There are lots of air compressors on kijiji, and I'm not an expert, but I think you could probably get something better quality for that price.

I just bought a little 2 Gallon portable unit yesterday from kijiji for $40. Clearly not suitable for shop use, but deals are out there.

Darell_n
09-23-2015, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on any oil less compressor, but that's just me. Can't stand the sound of them.

silvercivicsir
09-23-2015, 01:07 PM
anybody know where I can get an air compressor serviced? It's a husky brand that leaks oil.

firebane
09-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
I wouldn't waste my money on any oil less compressor, but that's just me. Can't stand the sound of them.

Holy god you and me both. Oil less are noisy little buggers and absolutely obnoxious.

carson blocks
09-23-2015, 01:15 PM
A die grinder uses ridiculous amounts of air. Check the ratings on the tools you want to use. Impacts, ratchets, etc are ok as you typically don't continually use them like you would a grinder. I think my die grinder is 6scfm@90, and the compressor you posted is 4.2scfm@90 meaning that if you use it for any significant length of time, you'll be waiting for the compressor to catch up and refill.

Another thing about oil-less compressors is they tend to be very loud compared to a quality oiled compressor. They typically run at a higher rpm due to direct drive, and usually have a nylon or similar piston, and will be rated for a short duty cycle. A cheap plastic piston direct drive oil-less compressor will let you do the work, but is a disposable item. A quality cast iron oiled belt drive pump will be quieter, last way longer, and if it ever should break, most are completely rebuildable. If this work will be a lifestyle or a frequent hobby, make an investment. If your use will be infrequent, buy the disposable one, a set of earplugs, and a magazine to read while waiting for it.

I'm an infrequent amateur tinkerer, and after some research I decided 10cfm @ 90 was an absolute bare minimum for me as I would like to do some bodywork. I believe this is the model I got for my home garage for around $450 from an auction.

http://www.eaglecompressor.com/newdynamic.php?name=C5160V1&Type=Single%20Stage

18cfm@100, fully rebuildable, 60gal tank. I still need to plumb it, but am confident it's the last compressor I'll need.

streetdreams
09-23-2015, 01:32 PM
I have the same egale compressor i got it off kijji for $300 and i have never had an issue lost of air for anything i would use.

Sykes
09-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Interesting: I hadn't realized there was more to the pitfalls of direct-drive other than noise (i.e. nylon pistons, duty cycle, etc).

Cast-iron, belt-drive is very clearly the way to go and is exactly what I'm going to do... as soon as I have enough money saved for one (that's always the case isn't?)

Thanks for the input guys (gals?) and for the info and enlightenment - it was all very helpful! :thumbsup: