PDA

View Full Version : Does QEII need to be tripled?

16hypen3sp
09-24-2015, 03:37 AM
What do you guys think?

I drive QEII very often. Majority of my time on it is spent between Highway 597 and Township Road 374 (McKenzie Road) along with the odd trip to Calgary and Edmonton a few times a month.

Over the past few weeks, tripling QEII has came up in conversation a couple of times. I'm wondering if this really needs to done.

Sure, there are still a few spots that need to be tripled, but the whole thing?...

I dug into the AB Trans plans on it and here is what they have planned...

Firstly, their study...

We will invest $6 million over the next two years to update the six-lane Highway 2 (QE II) Corridor planning study between Edmonton and Calgary, given the current increased traffic volume forecast.
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/5141.htm

Secondly, the southern portion of QEII... looks like it will be tripled from Airdie to Carstairs...

Widening the QEII Highway from a four lane divided freeway to a six lane divided freeway north of Junction 2A/72 (Crossfield) to south of Highway 581 (Carstairs)

Widening the QEII Highway from a four lane divided freeway to a six lane divided freeway, including upgrading the existing Highway 72 interchange to accommodate the widening. Junction 567(Airdrie) to north of Junction 2A/72 (Crossfield)

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/projects/calgary.aspx

Thirdly, the central portion of QEII... looks like it will be tripled (maybe even quad) from Penhold to Blackfalds...

Alberta Transportation has identified the need to plan for widening of Highway 2 to a six lane divided freeway standard, with provision for an ultimate eight lane widening upgrade between Highway 42 to Highway 597.
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/projects/central.aspx

As of now, there seems to be nothing planned north beyond Blackfalds.

It should also be noted that none of the above plans are in the current 3 year plan.

I definitely agree with AB Trans over the central portion plans, and I'm not just saying that because I frequent that area a lot. It should have been tripled years ago.

So what do you guys think? Have you ever found yourself in a situation on QEII where three lanes would have been a benefit? Can the current design of QEII have better legislation that would benefit traffic flow and possibly reduce the need of tripling?

I'm very curious to see what Beyonders think of this.

dubhead
09-24-2015, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

So what do you guys think? Have you ever found yourself in a situation on QEII where three lanes would have been a benefit? Can the current design of QEII have better legislation that would benefit traffic flow and possibly reduce the need of tripling?

I'm very curious to see what Beyonders think of this.

I split my time between Calgary and Edmonton and make the drive very often sometimes every 5 days.

Have I found my self in a situation were 3 lanes would be of benefit? Yes every time I drive it.

The only legislation that would help is left lane bandit laws and out right banning semi's and holiday trailers from the left lane

Nitro5
09-24-2015, 05:11 AM
Would it be great? Or course!

Is it needed? Not really.

I've never been in total gridlock outside except when getting to Edmonton or Calgary during rush hour. Sure you have to deal with traffic and 'slow' people in the fast lane, but you're still moving at the limit the whole way.

Maxt
09-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Add a lane and add this:

FixedGear
09-24-2015, 06:16 AM
Yes, this kind of infrastructure should be planned and built two decades before it's needed. Look at the Calgary ring road for a good example of how this wasn't done (massive fail).

dj_rice
09-24-2015, 06:18 AM
Anthony Henday needs an extra lane added. F-ing brutal everyday I take it to work and it just clogs up around Terwilliger area.

jwslam
09-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Need to be tripled? Yes
Where? The entire length of Calgary and Edmonton. i.e. Glenmore :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I prefer 2 lanes actually... there's WAY too many left lane hogs in this province. It's nice to not have to worry about the guy in the right lane cutting out to pass the same time as I'm trying to go around this left lane hog bitch.

ZenOps
09-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Solar powered drone brain plane would be awesomer.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/solar-powered-plane-soars-to-new-world-records/

But I guess if you had to keep people employed by digging ditches and then filling them in again - its a decent enough idea.

HiTempguy1
09-24-2015, 08:24 AM
I drive qe2 all the time. While it would be nice, it is super rare to have to drop below 100km/h for more than a couple seconds. Irritating? Sure! But not worth spending billions on.

I'd rather see that infrastructure money goes toward ring road expansions (henday as mentioned, deerfoot for Calgary).

Left lane hog rules and semi's should only be able to use the right lane would make a MASSIVE difference.

Edit-
The thread title doesn't match the poll title lol. Yes, the QE2 needs to be tripled in the next 15 years if the population of Alberta continues growing.

FraserB
09-24-2015, 08:26 AM
As stated, the biggest benefit would be banning any vehicle with a trailer attached from the left lane and making semis drive in the right lane regardless of whether or not they are hauling a trailer.

killramos
09-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
As stated, the biggest benefit would be banning any vehicle with a trailer attached from the left lane and making semis drive in the right lane regardless of whether or not they are hauling a trailer.

A vehicle weight limit for the left lane would work great for this. Make it just under the weight of a 1 ton to :poosie:

vengie
09-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Between Airdrie and Calgary needs to be 4 lanes each way. I drive it daily, and you have people going anywhere from 140+ to just over 100km/h.

It'll be interesting to see how many cars are in the ditch between the two cities this year, the quality of drivers has deteriorated significantly.

jwslam
09-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by vengie
It'll be interesting to see how many cars are in the ditch between the two cities this year, the quality of drivers has deteriorated significantly.
:winter:

blownz
09-24-2015, 09:23 AM
It should have been done 10 years ago and when they finally do it in 20 it will already need to be at 4 lanes each direction...

I drive almost weekly between Edmonton and Calgary and it would be a huge safety improvement to have it at 3 lanes each direction the entire way. And when it is up to 3 lanes, semi's and anything towing needs to be banned from the far left lane.

The problem with banning trailers and semis from the left now as some people have mentioned, is what happens when someone is driving 105 in the right lane? We just deal with a 100km line of vehicles stuck behind? It just isn't practical. But with the third lane it totally is.

Canmorite
09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Add a lane and add this:

Absolutely. If you're going to rebuild the highway, at least adjust it for higher speed limits. Everyone does 120+ already.

riander5
09-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Save this money and spend it on a high speed train

AndyL
09-24-2015, 09:52 AM
South of Calgary to #3 - needs at least a full shoulder lane to be added...

But yes 2 to Edmonton should be 3 lanes, and learn from BC - straight road, if the coq be 120 QE2 can be much higher...

Mitsu3000gt
09-24-2015, 10:46 AM
- 3 lanes, all the way

- Left lane minimum speed limit that is actually enforced with the same frequency as speeding tickets

- Semi's, RV's, vehicles with huge trailers, etc. not allowed in the left lane (except maybe to pass)

- Speed limit 120 or higher (common, safe, flow of traffic is already 120-140)

IMHO that would make a big difference. That highway can be an absolute nightmare to drive. Every time I drive that road, there is always 2 vehicles blocking both lanes below the speed limit, slowing down hundreds of people.

theken
09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
They should be tripling the areas of Deerfoot that are only 2 lanes first before they worry about going to Edmonton

TomcoPDR
09-24-2015, 10:54 AM
I think congestion is mostly from left lane drivers, not the volume of vehicles

CanmoreOrLess
09-24-2015, 11:03 AM
Something needs to be done, that road is dangerous.

It's Alberta, for some reason people think the left lane is their birthright. I've lived in five provinces and Alberta has issues. Ever drive to Banff and observe a vehicle that never leaves the left lane?

I've read a theory on traffic which goes along the lines of the person who hogs a lane has ego issues, same goes with road rage. Some believe their personal rights extend beyond the rules of the road and their vehicle/lane. Sounds about right to me and I'm including the Gilfoyle lookalike mother fucker in the Accord who gave me the finger yesterday. The world ended when I entered "his lane". FYI "his lane" runs from his mother's driveway to wherever it is he is going on that day, most likely his job mantra is "Would you like fries with that?"

http://silicon-valley.wikia.com/wiki/Bertram_Gilfoyle

whiskas
09-24-2015, 11:07 AM
They should do what is done in some States, put up signs saying that semi's, RV's, vehicles hauling trailers MUST stay in the rightmost lane with no passing allowed, and have a maximum speed 10kph lower than other vehicle traffic. Now in this case I would expect them to leave it at 110kph for those vehicles but bump up the limit to 120kph for vehicles in the other two lanes. Traffic flowed so smoothly with that setup.

ExtraSlow
09-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Restricting semis and vehicles with trailers to the rightmost two lanes is a good idea on three lane roads. A little tougher to stay all the way right on two lane roads.

Then start ticketing the fuck out of those douchebags pulling their toyhaulers at 120+.

shakalaka
09-24-2015, 11:26 AM
I wish it would be tripled. I am so sick of the idiotic, uncourteous fools that always hog the fast lane and pass the cars at 1km/h over their speed! And worse are the ones that don't even bother passing or move out of the fast lane when you come up behind them! One of my biggest pet peeves ever.

jwslam
09-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I wish it would be tripled. I am so sick of the idiotic, uncourteous fools that always hog the fast lane and pass the cars at 1km/h over their speed! And worse are the ones that don't even bother passing or move out of the fast lane when you come up behind them! One of my biggest pet peeves ever.
And then there's the ones that don't bother with mirrors to see you're coming up at X speed in the left lane, and cut out in at X-20kph

Stuart
09-24-2015, 02:21 PM
What I don't like about outright banning trailers from the left lane is that I usually tow at 130 on QEII and get out of the way if someone comes up from behind. I don't want to be stuck driving with the slow bastards just because we can't find a better way to keep slower traffic to the right.

vengie
09-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Stuart
What I don't like about outright banning trailers from the left lane is that I usually tow at 130 on QEII and get out of the way if someone comes up from behind. I don't want to be stuck driving with the slow bastards just because we can't find a better way to keep slower traffic to the right.

How large of a trailer are you towing at 130km/h, and with what vehicle?

Stuart
09-24-2015, 03:05 PM

How large of a trailer are you towing at 130km/h, and with what vehicle?
18' opendeck with racecar towed with a Ram 1500. Not a lot of drag unlike enclosed or travel trailers.

vengie
09-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Stuart

18' opendeck with racecar towed with a Ram 1500. Not a lot of drag unlike enclosed or travel trailers.

Was going to say... If it was a larger travel trailer, that would be extremely irresponsible, one small gust of wind and you're going for a ride.

brucebanner
09-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by dubhead

I split my time between Calgary and Edmonton and make the drive very often sometimes every 5 days.

Have I found my self in a situation were 3 lanes would be of benefit? Yes every time I drive it.

The only legislation that would help is left lane bandit laws and out right banning semi's and holiday trailers from the left lane

I echo a lot of this. I drive up to the Edmonton area from Blackfalds often. The number of people that camp out in the left lane is brutal, and be absolutely clueless to anyone else on the road but them.

In recent weeks I've started laying on my horn, it startles some people and I get a small amount of satisfaction watching people jump in their seat.

Triple lane from Calgary to Edmonton, with a raised speed limit. No semis or holiday trailers allowed in far left lane and actually enforcing laws set in place for people that camp in the left lane.

Stuart
09-24-2015, 04:39 PM

Was going to say... If it was a larger travel trailer, that would be extremely irresponsible, one small gust of wind and you're going for a ride.

I would agree, and that is where a nuanced approach to the issue would help. Unfortunately nuance is usually the last thing that happens with any new laws/regulations.

Xtrema
09-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Combination of:

1) 3rd lane

2) Nobody can stay in left most lane for more than 10s.

3) Minimum speed 120kph enforced on left most lanes.

16hypen3sp
09-24-2015, 07:10 PM
The way I currently see it, adding a third lane without left lane hog legislation isn't going to solve anything.

There will just be three vehicles pacing one another instead of the current two.

I'd say this represents most of the problems that we all encounter right now... having to slow down for two vehicles pacing one another.

So if this situation is what is causing the problems, why not just introduce left lane legislation right now?

BMDUBS
09-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
The way I currently see it, adding a third lane without left lane hog legislation isn't going to solve anything.

There will just be three vehicles pacing one another instead of the current two.

I'd say this represents most of the problems that we all encounter right now... having to slow down for two vehicles pacing one another.

So if this situation is what is causing the problems, why not just introduce left lane legislation right now?

Gotta love when the sections become 3 lanes and the left lane the drivers are going 108, middle 105 and in the right lane is wide open. I cant even begin to count the amount of times I have passed dozens of cars on the right which creates a dangerous situation for everyone.

Left lane legislation needs to be implemented immediately as this is a big issue on this stretch. I don't understand the logic of 'I am doing the speed limit so I have just as much right as anyone else to be in the left lane' or 'I am more comfortable in the left lane'

WTF is wrong with the righteous people?

16hypen3sp
09-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS

Gotta love when the sections become 3 lanes and the left lane the drivers are going 108, middle 105 and in the right lane is wide open. I cant even begin to count the amount of times I have passed dozens of cars on the right which creates a dangerous situation for everyone.

Left lane legislation needs to be implemented immediately as this is a big issue on this stretch. I don't understand the logic of 'I am doing the speed limit so I have just as much right as anyone else to be in the left lane' or 'I am more comfortable in the left lane'

WTF is wrong with the righteous people?

That's another thing too. I think I touched on this in another thread. You're right, the far right usually stays wide open. I always use the far right when it's 3 lanes... the exception being the sections of QEII that have 2A joined with it.

D88
09-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by dubhead

This is something that can be implemented today and I wish it was enforced but I have high doubts that it ever will be. Left lane hogs, I find, are the biggest reason two lanes isn't enough. At least with 3 it's much less likely that you won't be able to get passed slow vehicles/drivers.