PDA

View Full Version : Beyonder's Opinions on Grand Cherokee Diesel?

freshprince1
09-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Title pretty much sums it up. Looking to sell the Legacy GT and get something a little bigger so my road trips are more comfy.

I've been intrigued with the 2007-2010 Grand Cherokee Diesel's with the Mercedes engine. Being diesel, I can still get the good mileage, but could still take it hunting and on ski trips.

Anyone had experience owning one? Anything in particular I should look out for? Currently doing research.

FullFledgedYYC
09-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Seeing as how Mercedes just failed the same emission test as VW.... I would stay away.

Ven
09-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
Seeing as how Mercedes just failed the same emission test as VW.... I would stay away.

Link?

Maxt
09-26-2015, 09:12 AM
The biggest gripe I have heard about them from the Chryco techs I know is the mercedes motor is a chronic oil leaker. The later Vm motori engine is apparently much better in that regard.
As far as the rest of the vehicle, I have an 07 srt8 cherokee and it has been solid.

Redlyne_mr2
09-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Have you looked at the Touareg diesels?

nismodrifter
09-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Have done a fair bit of work on this engine as my parents own an 08 ML320 CDI that had a few issues pop up.

1. Seals - around PCV, turbo, and intercooler. These leak like crazy. Have been updated. Reasonably quick fix.

2. *Swirl port motor failure caused by jammed intake manifold flaps as a result of carbon build up. This is a serious issue. Do some reading about it. This is a serious issue. We did the job ourselves, cleaned out the manifolds (the flaps had not jammed thankfully...if they have its $$$$ to purchase new manifolds). Expect this around the 100k mark. After doing the job we installed catch-can to prevent issues down the road.

Other than that no major engine issues to think of.

vengie
09-27-2015, 08:39 PM
I own an 08, I'll update this post when I am
Home later tonight with my impressions

Edit:

Alright, here we go. As mentioned I own an 08. Its been my DD for ~4 months, and I've put on almost 10k km.

Overall I couldn't be happier. Its been a fantastic vehicle, and for once a vehicle I can see myself actually keeping for quite a while.

This is my first diesel so I researched HEAVILY for about 2 months before I pulled the trigger. Driving it took a little bit of getting used to as hitting the gas pedal, there is a small lul before the motor picks up. So naturally you push the pedal harder! until you realize how torquey this thing is. Otherwise, it is super smooth. I currently achieve 10.8 l/100km mixed highway and city. Recently got 900km on a tank driving through the mountains (Cruise control at 110km/h).

Interior wise, a lot of people complain about the plastics used on the dash, personally it doesn't bother me. I bought this thing for utility and longevity to suit my active lifestyle, and it delivers. The rear seats are a little tight, I am just over 6' and when I sit behind the drivers seat my knees are touching the drivers seat. Not terrible, but COULD get uncomfortable on a longer drive. I've had friends back there with no complaints though.

To address nismodrifter's points

1. Seals - around PCV, turbo, and intercooler. These leak like crazy. Have been updated. Reasonably quick fix.

2. *Swirl port motor failure caused by jammed intake manifold flaps as a result of carbon build up. This is a serious issue. Do some reading about it. This is a serious issue. We did the job ourselves, cleaned out the manifolds (the flaps had not jammed thankfully...if they have its $$$$ to purchase new manifolds). Expect this around the 100k mark. After doing the job we installed catch-can to prevent issues down the road.

As mentioned, seals on the 2007's sucked. This was fixed with the 2008's. The turbo seal was upgraded to a black seal vs the original orange seal, the black is much improved, and there is little to no leaks.

The swirl motor WAS a huge issue, but can be fixed and avoided for $2 or $35 if you want to get fancy. You can put a resistor in the swirl motor plug to completely circumvent the swirl function of the motor. This doesn't cause any issues and is done by every single CRD owner on the jeep forum. Or as mentioned you can get fancy, I bought a clip with a resistor built in for $35. Looks cleaner than some duct tape and a resistor.

A lot of other people recommend a DPF delete pipe and the GDE eco-tune. Both are designed to increase the efficiency/ reliability of this motor. I haven't done this YET, but plan to next spring. Another popular mod is the "elephant hose mod" which vents CC pressure to atmosphere (will have oil drops on the ground) OR simply get a catch can, which is what I plan to do.

This blog is a huge help and answered a ton of questions I had.

The CRD Gospel According to Wordpress (https://conflictedracer.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/2007-2008-5-wk2-crd-faq-jeep-grand-cherokee-diesel/)

If you have any other questions or want to check out my jeep let me know. I'd happily let you take it for a drive.

freshprince1
09-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Great info, guys. Much appreciated.