PDA

View Full Version : Are Electricians Required To Replace Light Fixtures?

prodigydud
09-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Hello Beyond,

Looking to replace a few light fixtures around the house (kitchen, foyer, den), and wondering whether an electrician is required?

Looks to be a simple unscrew fixture, and hook up wiring type of job, but unclear it needs to be replaced by a qualified electrician or not in order to meet fire code or something like that. Or am I over-thinking this and this is something I can do myself?

Thanks!

R-Audi
09-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Pretty easy to do yourself... turn off the breaker and have at it.

ExtraSlow
09-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Not required. Be a little careful to make sure you have the correct breaker shut off. Sucks to get a shock when you are up on a ladder.

Giv'er hell buddy.

danno
09-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Considering a home owner can pull a permit to do all work in their house. I'd think you will be fine.

Just turn off the breaker that controls the lights and your good to go. If your brave just turn off the light switch and hope for no power on the neutral. Or pay someone like me to do it but it won't be cheap but it will be done right.

redblack
09-28-2015, 01:18 PM
It's easy and straight forward, don't be afraid lol

Tik-Tok
09-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by prodigydud

Looking to replace a few light fixtures around the house (kitchen, foyer, den), and wondering whether an electrician is required?

You only require permits for when electrical branch circuit wiring is installed, extended, altered.

Just a light fixture doesn't require either a permit, or a professional.

firebane
09-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by danno
Just turn off the breaker that controls the lights and your good to go. If your brave just turn off the light switch and hope for no power on the neutral.

Oh god.. been there too many times. :eek: :banghead:

CanmoreOrLess
09-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Easy to replace fixtures. Get a cheap circuit tester from CT and avoid top of the ladder sweats:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/circuit-alert-non-contact-voltage-tester-0520085p.html#.VgnF5a84ofs

prodigydud
09-28-2015, 05:34 PM
That's awesome! Thanks for the responses. I'll give it a try this weekend :D

Cos
09-28-2015, 05:50 PM

C_Dave45
09-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Pffft...just work with it "hot". I don't think I've ever turned off a breaker while installing switches, plugs or fixtures. How else are you going to have another light on in the same room to see with? :dunno: :D

speedog
09-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Pffft...just work with it "hot". I don't think I've ever turned off a breaker while installing switches, plugs or fixtures. How else are you going to have another light on in the same room to see with? :dunno: :D
110 just tingles.

suntan
09-28-2015, 07:06 PM
Strictly speaking any change to electrical requires a permit - even changing a switch.

But no one follows that.

HomespunLobster
09-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by speedog

110 just tingles.
I thought you tested with your tongue to prevent your arms from locking up?

rx7_turbo2
09-28-2015, 07:16 PM
There's a code rule about weight being hung from a standard octagon box, I can't remember it off the top of my head but I think it's roughly 35lbs.

Stay safe, turn the breaker off. In your hand out your elbow probably no big deal. In one hand out the other across your heart? Experienced electricians are injured and killed every year because of complacency. Sometimes it's not feasible to de-energize equipment before repairs or trouble shooting and I've worked on my fair share of live equipment 600volts+. But if it can be de-energized easily such as in this case it would be stupid not to. Don't become a candidate for the Darwin Awards. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You only require permits for when electrical branch circuit wiring is installed, extended, altered.

Just a light fixture doesn't require either a permit, or a professional.

Originally posted by suntan
Strictly speaking any change to electrical requires a permit - even changing a switch.

But no one follows that.

Tik-Tok is correct. By replacing the light fixture you are not modifying or extending the branch circuit. No permit required.

suntan
09-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Tik-Tok is correct. By replacing the light fixture you are not modifying or extending the branch circuit. No permit required. Wow, they explicitly state it now. Good on the city.

rx7_turbo2
10-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by suntan
Wow, they explicitly state it now. Good on the city.

It was always a little vague. The accepted interpretation was that changing switches and light fixtures did not require a permit...........except. When it comes to the CEC "except" is their favourite word lol. So here's the idea, if the electrician who wired the circuit did it properly devices should be "pigtailed" so if you're required to work on a switch or fixture you won't be "opening" the circuit just replacing the "pigtail". The fear is that home owners would open up a junction box with multiple wires, undo everything including the neutral and then fucking things up when they try to put it back together.

suntan
10-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

It was always a little vague. The accepted interpretation was that changing switches and light fixtures did not require a permit...........except. When it comes to the CEC "except" is their favourite word lol. So here's the idea, if the electrician who wired the circuit did it properly devices should be "pigtailed" so if you're required to work on a switch or fixture you won't be "opening" the circuit just replacing the "pigtail". The fear is that home owners would open up a junction box with multiple wires, undo everything including the neutral and then fucking things up when they try to put it back together. Yes, that was the exact scenario I was told way back when.

chathamf
10-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Easy stuff. You will have no issue doing it, but will likely get pissed off dealing with shitty fixtures. They are my most hated thing about my job. Breaker to be safe. I've gotten zapped off the neutral before just having the switch off. Doesn't hurt anyways. Wake you up a little bit. PM me if your scared and we can work out a deal, haha.

rx7_turbo2
10-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
but will likely get pissed off dealing with shitty fixtures. They are my most hated thing about my job

:thumbsup: I agree 100%. Fiddling, fussing, fucking around. Tiny little shitty screws, wires to fucking short...........Most hated part of the job by a WIDE margin.