PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Pots

Mitsu3000gt
09-30-2015, 08:54 PM
My GF wants one of these things - are they all the same? I'm talking about the big round/oval cast iron pots, most people probably recognize the Le Cruset ones. I was looking around and Le Cruset is like $400++ , JA Henckels is something Canadian Tire has 70% off so they are like $80, and then there is Staub which seems a bit cheaper than Le Cruset but is apparently owned by JA Henckels. Am I getting anything more for my money by buying a Le Cruset or are all these things the same? I'm happy to pay for it if there is a good reason, but it seems like there isn't much to a cast iron pot haha. - TIA!

nzwasp
09-30-2015, 09:30 PM
For straight up cast iron we use the lodge ones for the big pot and it comes with a lid that also doubles as a skillet. We also bought a le creuset enameled pot when it was a one day sale at the Bay - was $400 we got it for $140.

I dont know how much different quality the lodge is over a more expensive cast iron pot, but it has been working well for 2 years.

FixedGear
09-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Get a lodge.

msommers
09-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Agreed. Lodge is awesome and stuff isn't that pricey at all.

ExtraSlow
09-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Cast iron is all about how you treat it, not about how it's made. Buy the lodge and don't fuck it up.

speedog
09-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Although Bass Pro doesn't carry as much variety of Lodge as The Bay, the exact items are quite a bit cheaper at Bass Pro.

Le Creuset is just cast iron with some pieces being enamelled or looking fancier - will still cook the same as the 85 year old cast iron skillet we use in our home.

Ribtor also used to have cast iron - been a while since I've been there and can't say if they still do.

Mitsu3000gt
09-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys, Lodge sounds pretty good. A huge draw to these pots for the GF is so she can get one of the bright colors and leave it on the stove when not in use for display....yes I know. They don't seem to have as many colors but I haven't looked too much yet. The Henckel ones had all the cool colors, but sounds like they may not be as good. In this case fashion is (unfortunately) as important as function. Who knew I'd ever be researching a fucking designer pot :rofl:

EDIT: Looks like Lodge does in fact have some pretty good colors.

D'z Nutz
09-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Any recommendations on where to get them? I'm looking for a cast iron pan or skillet too.

ExtraSlow
10-01-2015, 06:59 AM
Doesn't sounds like it helps the OP, but Wholesale Sports has a decent selection of cast iron. Don't think they do the pretty colours though.

killramos
10-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Thanks guys, Lodge sounds pretty good. A huge draw to these pots for the GF is so she can get one of the bright colors and leave it on the stove when not in use for display....yes I know. They don't seem to have as many colors but I haven't looked too much yet. The Henckel ones had all the cool colors, but sounds like they may not be as good. In this case fashion is (unfortunately) as important as function. Who knew I'd ever be researching a fucking designer pot :rofl:

if the girlfriend has "narrowed it down" to colorful cast iron cookware she is giving you the hint she wants Le Creuset for her birthday lol.

Just buy her one on sale or online or in the US ( Sur La Table is a good spot, have bought the wife shit there before ) and be done with it.

/Thread

bjstare
10-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by killramos

if the girlfriend has "narrowed it down" to colorful cast iron cookware she is giving you the hint she wants Le Creuset for her birthday lol.

Just buy her one on sale or online or in the US ( Sur La Table is a good spot, have bought the wife shit there before ) and be done with it.

/Thread

:werd:

sputnik
10-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Any recommendations on where to get them? I'm looking for a cast iron pan or skillet too.

Cabelas or Bass Pro. They usually have a good selection of Lodge cast iron.

I have even bought a Lodge griddle off of Amazon and it shipped free with Prime.

Brent.ff
10-01-2015, 08:04 AM
We've got a bunch of the Lagostina Tuscans, as my girlfriends mom went a little crazy over them at Christmas, so we have the small, medium and large, as well as the pizza pan.

They're great, and I much prefer the glazed inside as it's way easier to clean. They also look good in our windowed-cupboard.

Typically you can find them at Canadian tire for half or more off.

r3ccOs
10-01-2015, 08:21 AM
You don't want a straight cast iron pot, like a lodge dutch oven, unless you plan on cooking over an open fire.

The biggest problem is seasoning, though its great for the Iron benefit you get into your body.
Seasoning unfortunately will be leached off by anything acidic, and as a number of braises uses wine, tomato's, or spices... you will be quickly having to deal with unseasoned rusty heavy pots you will likely never use again.

for pots, I use Staub and Le Creuset. why? just cause they are airloom quality... are enamel baked and is uses new iron, as opposed to MOST others which are from China and use recycled cars.

but I'm being a snob, and yes a Lagostina, or Mario Ballati or whatever Chinese made cast iron pot will likely fit the bill, and more than serve the purpose... They can be had anywhere from $50-100 just about anywhere, and especially on boxing day.

My friend has a kitchenaid one she uses all the time, and I think she got a massive 7 quart one for $30

makes delicious food

The additional uses are that you can use these for deep frying, making popcorn, or for holding shucked oysters on ice :)

My wife is going to make some Wagu brisket stroganoff for dinner tomorrow ;)
mmm mmm

Strider
10-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Can't go wrong with either Le Creuset or Staub. If you want a deal, watch for one day sales at The Bay or LC factory seconds at HomeSense.

nzwasp
10-01-2015, 09:18 AM
I found my lodge at home outfitters

Pacman
10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I've aquired a few cast iron pots over the years. I've got a Le Creuset, Staub and a Lodge.

I bought the Lodge myself. The LeCreuset and Staub were gifts.

I like everything about the Lodge. I like that it's made in the USA, that it's a fraction of the cost of the Staub/Le Creuset and that there is no enamel to chip or discolor.

The only thing I don't like about the lodge is that tomato sauce seems to pick up a metalic taste whereas the enameled pots don't.

I have friends that have purchased the Kitchen Aid model that is usually on sale at Canadian Tire and they have had issues with the enamel flaking/cracking.

As mentioned, HOme Outfitters has the lodge products and you can use the 20% off coupon there.

I did notice Lodge is now making enameled cast iron pots.

jacky4566
10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Or buy the cheap one and paint it.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/174193d1273865491-high-temperature-paint-required-to-paint-calipers-brake-paint.jpg

lint
10-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Lodge makes enamelled cast iron as well http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2011/06/06/dutch-oven-battle-lodge-vs-le-creuset/

Mitsu3000gt
10-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I don't think she cares much about the brand, but it was the Le Cruset stuff that originally caught her eye due to the attractive colors. It would definitely have to be enameled cast iron, not bare metal or anything like that.

Canadian Tire has all their Henckel dutch ovens 70% off which seems like the best deal unless I'm missing something. Henckels owns Staub, so I should look a little closer and see if it's actually a Staub product. Otherwise it looks like Lodge or find a sale on LeCruset/Staub haha.

They aren't on the CT website yet but they look like this:

http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/23334-Zwilling-J-A-Henckels-Cast-Iron-Oval-Dutch-Oven-Red.aspx

msommers
10-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
You don't want a straight cast iron pot, like a lodge dutch oven, unless you plan on cooking over an open fire.

The biggest problem is seasoning, though its great for the Iron benefit you get into your body.
Seasoning unfortunately will be leached off by anything acidic, and as a number of braises uses wine, tomato's, or spices... you will be quickly having to deal with unseasoned rusty heavy pots you will likely never use again.

for pots, I use Staub and Le Creuset. why? just cause they are airloom quality... are enamel baked and is uses new iron, as opposed to MOST others which are from China and use recycled cars.

but I'm being a snob, and yes a Lagostina, or Mario Ballati or whatever Chinese made cast iron pot will likely fit the bill, and more than serve the purpose... They can be had anywhere from $50-100 just about anywhere, and especially on boxing day.

My friend has a kitchenaid one she uses all the time, and I think she got a massive 7 quart one for $30

makes delicious food

The additional uses are that you can use these for deep frying, making popcorn, or for holding shucked oysters on ice :)

My wife is going to make some Wagu brisket stroganoff for dinner tomorrow ;)
mmm mmm

I honestly can't comment from experience as I just started looking into getting a skillet and dutch oven for our house, but while doing some research I came across this.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Again I can't say if they're right, but given you use it a lot I'd be curious of your experience.

r3ccOs
10-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I honestly can't comment from experience as I just started looking into getting a skillet and dutch oven for our house, but while doing some research I came across this.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

Again I can't say if they're right, but given you use it a lot I'd be curious of your experience.

all true...

Aluminum pans or stainless will yield better low heat distribution...
Modern cast iron does use a pitted sand blasted surface, so be careful and find one thats as smooth as possible...

Even as non-stick as it can get, its not teflon good..

but...

Nothing cooks high heat sears better (even a BBQ...)

I use this pan to move high heat items "seared" into the oven to finish, or even use the pan as a roasting pan (to contain fats and to add more seasoning)

Once seasoned, its not hard to clean...
But you still need to avoid acidic foods.

Even once you season the pan (or buy pre-seasoned) you probably won't like the pan... but keep using it, learn it and keep using it again to season it, and you will find that it will make amazing foods.

its like when I moved to Charcoal kettles from a gas burner a few years ago, and there is just no moving back.

Pacman
10-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Those J.A Henckels cast iron pots appear to be made in France, so perhaps they are being cast in the same place as the Staub pots. Could be a good deal.

CanmoreOrLess
10-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I've a couple of Le Creuset pots, they are so nice to use and last decades from what I've seen. Do not use a metal utensil as the interior of the pot does scratch and makes for pain-in-the-ass clean ups. I've noted this wife caused damage and will use it going forward should there be any divorce talk in my family. I will file for damages!

Plenty of love for the Lodge brand and they go over the other players in the field: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-dutch-oven/

If you do go the Canadian Tire route, keep your boxes for possible returns/exchanges. I found out the hard way on that policy.

dirtsniffer
10-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Myself and the Mrs. Have 2 dutch ovens, a braiser, and two skillets all from le creuset. As well as several baking dishes and other misc items.

She used to work at Williams Sonoma so she got 40% of everything so the cost wasn't a huge factor for us. But you definitely get what you pay for. This stuff still looks great and cooks great. The braiser is my favorite.

She just told me that most le creuset is made in France. It will say on the box.

BrknFngrs
10-01-2015, 06:18 PM
With enameled cast iron do you wash it like a regular pot or do you still treat it like traditional cast iron pots?

Mitsu3000gt
10-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
Those J.A Henckels cast iron pots appear to be made in France, so perhaps they are being cast in the same place as the Staub pots. Could be a good deal.

This is what I am thinking. I will see if I can check it out this weekend - sale ends Oct 7. Henckels owns Staub, I would bet they come off the same production line.

phreezee
10-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Kirkland Dutch oven is enameled and made in France.

r3ccOs
10-02-2015, 04:30 AM
enamled needs to be treated with more care... the staub finish is closer to actual cast iron and requires some oil to season.

the le creuset enamel "beige" type finish you need to especially be careful with utensils, but cleaning is like any pot.

my skillets are just normal cast iron pans, my le creuset and staub are enameled.

geoffreyjames
10-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Once the seasoning is set, you don't need to worry about wine sauces or tomatoes - the acid is definitely not strong enough to eat away at the seasoning. The oil is polymerized to the cast iron, and creates a remarkably hardy (and slick) surface. You can use soap and water to clean it, and it'll be fine. Just don't go at it with steel wool every time.

Cast iron is super misunderstood - there are a million articles out there about how you can only clean it by getting an asthmatic to blow gently on it, and don't even look at it while holding a soapy cloth... Maybe if you just have oil wiped on the pan, then yes - but if you've properly seasoned it (wipe it with oil, put upside down in an oven at 400 for 30 min, repeat 2 or 3 times) then you're fine.

But as others have said, there is a huge difference between Le Creuset and regular old cast iron.

chathamf
10-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Lodge is great stuff. Had one of their skillet from Sears i got on sale a few years back. Recently got a dutch oven two frying pans a grill pan and a griddle at the Home Outfitters at Northland that closed. Got rid of all the Teflon and going all cast iron. Love the stuff.

chathamf
10-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by geoffreyjames
Once the seasoning is set, you don't need to worry about wine sauces or tomatoes - the acid is definitely not strong enough to eat away at the seasoning. The oil is polymerized to the cast iron, and creates a remarkably hardy (and slick) surface. You can use soap and water to clean it, and it'll be fine. Just don't go at it with steel wool every time.

Cast iron is super misunderstood - there are a million articles out there about how you can only clean it by getting an asthmatic to blow gently on it, and don't even look at it while holding a soapy cloth... Maybe if you just have oil wiped on the pan, then yes - but if you've properly seasoned it (wipe it with oil, put upside down in an oven at 400 for 30 min, repeat 2 or 3 times) then you're fine.

But as others have said, there is a huge difference between Le Creuset and regular old cast iron.

I scrub with kosher salt and water then rub with oil. Works great.

r3ccOs
10-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

I scrub with kosher salt and water then rub with oil. Works great.

for stubborn baked on crap, this is the method!

however, when my wife cooks a Chili in the cast iron and leaves it there by the time I come home from work?.... I almost see that grey bare metal afterwards and sigh.

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2015, 10:35 AM
I bought the 5.5qt J.A. Henckels Enameled Cast Iron round pot for $89 (Normally $299). It looks slightly different from the Staub models, and nowhere on the box does it say where it's made (the video just mentions German craftsmanship, which is ambiguous). I kind of want to open it up and investigate, but it's taped shut and it's a gift.

This is the one I got:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/henckels-round-cast-iron-casserole-5-5-qt-1428826p.html#.VhaaL_lVhBc

It also has a lifetime warranty

I can always return it, but I wanted to pick it up before the sale ended just in case.

speedog
10-08-2015, 12:09 PM
You guys should be looking for vintage enameled cast iron cookware from the 70's.

msommers
10-08-2015, 07:32 PM
None left. All the hipsters bought them for their retro-styled kitchen.