PDA

View Full Version : Displates? - Any Beyonders give them a try

killramos
10-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Hey guys so i have seen ads on FB and other places for this website which does graphic art prints on large metal plates that you magnetically attach to your wall.

They look pretty cool online but i was wondering what beyond thought or if anyone has used them before. I was thinking of getting some video game, tv show, movie splatter type prints for my media room. They have some neat ones on there right now ( the selection changes all the time and they do remove popular ones to promote the plates as "collectible" from time to time).

Anyhow just want to know if anyone sees any red flags that I don't ( aside form them being a bit expensive, not bad considering metal but not cheap enough to consider it a throwaway.

https://displate.com/

C_Dave45
10-01-2015, 08:56 AM
Red flag? It's art. Buy what you like.:dunno:
Not quite sure what you're asking.

flipstah
10-01-2015, 09:01 AM
I see that ad all the time. Like Dave said, it's art.

killramos
10-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Red flag about the company or the quality. If anyone has recieved them and they weren't quite up to par.

Just figured i would put up a quick post to see if anyone had any negative experiences before i drop a couple hundred bucks :dunno:

A790
10-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Saw some reviews here :) (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=displate+review)

killramos
10-01-2015, 10:29 AM
^ Lol thanks for that.

Fine i will post up my own results then.

Assholes :rofl:

A790
10-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by killramos
^ Lol thanks for that.

Fine i will post up my own results then.

Assholes :rofl:
I am actually curious what you think. There's a few things from there that'd look awesome in my gym.

killramos
10-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Will do, i have been beating around the bush on them for a few months now actually ( enough that i have actually seen some that I like come and go).

Once they are in you are free to come see them yourself if you would like to.

A790
10-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Only if I'm bringing beer.

bjstare
10-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Will do, i have been beating around the bush on them for a few months now actually ( enough that i have actually seen some that I like come and go).

Originally posted by A790

Only if I'm bringing beer.

So is this like, a date, then?

:love:

killramos
10-01-2015, 03:44 PM
2 dudes drinking and looking at art? I dare say it is :rofl:

:whipped:

rage2
10-01-2015, 03:53 PM
2 dudes drinking and looking at art? I dare say it is :rofl:

:whipped:
The question remains, who's dick is getting wet?

Swank
10-01-2015, 03:59 PM
^There's a 69% chance they both will.

Kidding aside, this made me think that the art pieces would have powerful enough magnets in them to hang from drywall screws already in the stud of the wall, that would be a clever no holes or adhesives approach to hanging art.

ExtraSlow
10-01-2015, 08:52 PM
I'm sure both of these guys are respectable gentlemen and the reach-around will be in full effect. Otherwise, you may as well hang out on calgarypuck, for fucks sake. :goflames:

killramos
10-02-2015, 06:43 AM
:burnout:

:rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
10-02-2015, 07:52 AM
That raven one would be a great gift to someone I know, can I bring an aperitif?

A790
10-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm sure both of these guys are respectable gentlemen and the reach-around will be in full effect. Otherwise, you may as well hang out on calgarypuck, for fucks sake. :goflames:
We aren't savages here, guys. :bigpimp:

killramos
10-02-2015, 08:05 AM
For anyone interested dont pay full price. There are alot of coupon codes for this place. Heck i got 17% off just for browsing the site for 5 minutes.

found a 20% off code yesterday "giveme20" lol

I am sure you could get close to 30% off if you tried.

I will let you guys know when mine come in and post some pics ( might actually break out my DSLR for the first time in years :rofl: ) and if anyone wants to take a look the more the merrier :dunno:

killramos
10-29-2015, 02:51 PM
So i actually did order these but just haven't gotten around to actually posting about it.

They came pretty quick, 3 or 4 days or something. DHL from Poland. The biggest issue that anyone who orders from them should be aware of was the duty was pretty significant. 45 dollars on my 5 displaces of which only 10 dollars or so was their "fee".

Anyhow once they got here all was well. They are very thin with some kind of a polymer canvas wrapped around the metal itself. So it isn't printed directly to the metal if anyone was curious. Finish is fairly matte as well.

The print quality is good. Sharp, good contrast. Nothing mind blowing but definitely what you would expect for the money.

The only things i would really caution on the plates themselves is that they really aren't that big. I know the dimensions are on the website and they are correct but somehow it still surprised me.

The second is you have 1 chance to put the magnets on the wall. Once on for more than a second or 2 they are there for good and will pull you paint off the wall if you attempt to remove. Don't ask me how i found out lol.

This being said if you are looking at art for an apartment where you don't want to damage the walls or anything ( rentals etc.) i recommend looking into a different mounting option or different art source. Much easier to patch holes than repaint 4 inch squares of torn off paint.

A790
10-29-2015, 04:09 PM
So i actually did order these but just haven't gotten around to actually posting about it.

They came pretty quick, 3 or 4 days or something. DHL from Poland. The biggest issue that anyone who orders from them should be aware of was the duty was pretty significant. 45 dollars on my 5 displaces of which only 10 dollars or so was their "fee".

Anyhow once they got here all was well. They are very thin with some kind of a polymer canvas wrapped around the metal itself. So it isn't printed directly to the metal if anyone was curious. Finish is fairly matte as well.

The print quality is good. Sharp, good contrast. Nothing mind blowing but definitely what you would expect for the money.

The only things i would really caution on the plates themselves is that they really aren't that big. I know the dimensions are on the website and they are correct but somehow it still surprised me.

The second is you have 1 chance to put the magnets on the wall. Once on for more than a second or 2 they are there for good and will pull you paint off the wall if you attempt to remove. Don't ask me how i found out lol.

This being said if you are looking at art for an apartment where you don't want to damage the walls or anything ( rentals etc.) i recommend looking into a different mounting option or different art source. Much easier to patch holes than repaint 4 inch squares of torn off paint.
Thanks for taking the leap :)

Show us what you got!

killramos
10-29-2015, 04:27 PM
Lol alright then these are for my "free reign" room where I don't have to have consent of the wife to decorate haha

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/B9E549F6-8FF4-4B24-BAA9-61AB21E87233.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/01E440EA-9503-4C4A-BDF9-F851341873D4.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/6857BF3B-E92F-4518-80F0-BCFDF79C31D0.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/F437D467-BDD9-49C0-BA88-0278B1F3CF16.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/3CB3F157-7074-40D6-97E3-86F6BEAEF4C8.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/killramos/91CA0884-C29A-4592-B0A9-43E4FE69B63D.jpg

Simple but really helps bring some interest to the wall. The is the back wall of my entertainment room across the the tv for reference.

A790
10-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Love it. I'm getting some for my gym :D

killramos
10-29-2015, 06:41 PM
:thumbsup:

Btw Live Photos is the weirdest thing I have ever seen ( those were the first pics I took with the new phone)