PDA

View Full Version : Largish party wants to go somewhere hot in early December. help.

se7en
10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
So there's 15-16 of us and we want to go to Mexico,Cuba, etc. Where's the cheapest place to go to book an all inclusive? Looking for around a 3-3.5 star resort.

I've tried itravel and Expedia etc. But I wonder if a cheaper rate could be found elsewhere for our group.(all the people at work)

Does anyone have any contacts/ hookups?

Thanks!

l/l/rX
10-05-2015, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by se7en
So there's 15-16 of us and we want to go to Mexico,Cuba, etc. Where's the cheapest place to go to book an all inclusive? Looking for around a 3-3.5 star resort.

I've tried itravel and Expedia etc. But I wonder if a cheaper rate could be found elsewhere for our group.(all the people at work)

Does anyone have any contacts/ hookups?

Thanks!

If you could squeeze a few more dollars out of everyone... http://www.theyachtweek.com/yachts/card/1433/harmony-52?week=74994

You can usually find some pretty decently priced flights as well.

Rough estimate... $2k/ PP including flights, then once you're in thailand, it's dirt cheap.

Edit: I can't see an all inclusive being much cheaper during this time (I could be wrong). Also yes this yacht holds 11, the rest can browse the yacht week forums to hop on other ppls yachts, crews are always looking for stragglers.

se7en
10-05-2015, 11:55 PM
Well, $2k per person is outside the budget. I'm more stly looking for tips on getting deals on group travel...I feel like the usual vacation websites are charging too much.

OTown
10-06-2015, 12:15 AM
^ you also need a person that knows how to sail/yacht and has the appropriate licenses/training. Sailing/yachting is not at all as easy as it seems. Trust me, I just came back and lets just say i am extremely glad i wasn't captain of the ship.

l/l/rX
10-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by OTown
^ you also need a person that knows how to sail/yacht and has the appropriate licenses/training. Sailing/yachting is not at all as easy as it seems. Trust me, I just came back and lets just say i am extremely glad i wasn't captain of the ship.

A skipper is provided unless if someone in the group has their skipper license...

taemo
10-06-2015, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

If you could squeeze a few more dollars out of everyone... http://www.theyachtweek.com/yachts/card/1433/harmony-52?week=74994

You can usually find some pretty decently priced flights as well.

Rough estimate... $2k/ PP including flights, then once you're in thailand, it's dirt cheap.

Edit: I can't see an all inclusive being much cheaper during this time (I could be wrong). Also yes this yacht holds 11, the rest can browse the yacht week forums to hop on other ppls yachts, crews are always looking for stragglers.

this is assuming everyone is down to flying all the way to thailand, that they are willing to stay on a yacht and one couple sleep in the saloon.

to the OP, i would look for a local travel agent, it will be easier for everyone to have one local contact person they can pay and confirm the same flight and resorts, you might get deals too (% off or one person goes for free)

otherwise if you go online, you can:
a. book and pay for everyone and hope they will pay you back
b. send everyone the link you booked and hope that they all get it
c. tell everyone date and location and book individually

JRSC00LUDE
10-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Use a travel agent, they're way better than booking online for this type of thing.

lasimmon
10-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Agreed with a group that size use a travel agent and they will save you money.

CompletelyNumb
10-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Or if you can find cheap flights yourself, contact the resort directly and ask about a group rate. Their posted rates are asinine but calling down can get you good deals.

roopi
10-06-2015, 08:48 AM
http://www.tripcentral.ca/vacation-grid/#0,0,0,0,2,1,0,201512,0,11084,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,5,0?a6=1&a24=&a25=&a22=0&a23=0

Cuba or Mexico in a 3 star fof $800 - $900. If you're looking to spend less your only option is to wait until last minute and see if anything pops up. Pretty much impossible with a group that size.

Also I suggest not staying in a 3 star hotel in Cuba. :rofl: (or Mexico)

OTown
10-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

A skipper is provided unless if someone in the group has their skipper license...

That's included in the price?

gwill
10-06-2015, 09:58 AM
The wife flew down to Cuba in January 2 years back and stayed at a random 3.5* called playa caleta. This was right after New Years. 2 of the days for her had a crazy wind storm making it really cold.

She had one of her most fun trips at that resort. The people were great, the food was mostly good(Cuba standards) and overall enjoyed that resort more then 3-4 other Cuba 4-5* resorts her and I have been on. She even made friends who visited us a few months after her Cuba trip. Overall nov/dec/jan isn't the hottest in Cuba. When we went with a group of friends last Nov it was quite windy and cold... Almost too cold to be in the pool unless completely drunk.

With such a large group I wouldn't worry about the resort being a 3-3.5* as you and your friends will make the best of things no matter the resort you end up on. Just find one with decent food. Varadero is extremely cheap to eat out at so even if you get sick of the food at the resort you'll manage just fine in Cuba.

Rocket1k78
10-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Or if you could squeeze out even more money you could do this place http://www.fourseasons.com/borabora/landing_3/?source=gaw09borS10&KW_ID=sDyLIgDrT_dc|pcrid|70564241842&gclid=CKfslJ6irsgCFQmnaQodbuwJRQ. Should be no more than $30,000pp.
Gotta love it when someones asking for advice on a 3 star mexico vacay and people suggest trips that are over double the cost.

Travel agents are typically always more but depending on your groups capabilities of booking together it might be worth it. Getting on the same flight there and back adds to the fun imo. I've used big ben twice and was really happy with the guy, think it was Roger(younger asian guy). Before you book a place make sure you read the reviews on it.

CanmoreOrLess
10-06-2015, 10:48 AM
OP you failed to mention the length of time for the vacation. You're not pissing off to Thailand for a 10 day vacation.

gwill
10-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Op also has to realize booking mid December doubles the price of any 3* resort. From Dec 15- January 5th is typically double the price even in Cuba.

se7en
10-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Sorry, forgot to add, early DEC and a week. Sailing is out though...neat idea though.

jdmakkord
10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
With the current exchange rate, don't expect prices you have seen in the past couple of years. Rates are through the roof right now and with the US economy recovering hotels are busy again.