PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on getting job in the USA?

Hero_X
10-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone,

so I've been laid off and prospects here don't look good. I'm thinking of going to the states to work.

Have any of you done this? What's the process to get a work visa?

Do we need a sponsor to get a job in the states?

Any help is appreciated!

SkiBum5.0
10-06-2015, 02:17 PM
I don't mean to rain on your parade but it will be an uphill battle to work in the US without a sponsor.

Your first hurdle will be to convince a US employer to hire you. It's a challenge because you won't live in the city you are applying to. That means the employer will have to bear the cost of getting you a Visa, plus all the normal new hire costs.

If you have a specialized background, and/or have a professional designation, then you can personally apply for a Visa. Breakdown is:

H-1B - Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge
TN/TD - NAFTA professional worker: Mexico, Canada
H-2B - Temporary worker performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature.
L - intercompany transfer

Good luck

Xtrema
10-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Tip #1, dual citizenship.

Acquaintance from Nexen got let go. Now he is working in NY. He's lucky he is born in US but grew up in Calgary.

Tip #2, find company sponsor.

Another acquaintance left Calgary 2 years ago to Bakersfield, CA on company sponsor. Don't know how long he will be out there but seems to hold out so far.

It will be pretty tough for Canadians to find jobs in US unless you are proven to be too unique and irreplaceable.

suntan
10-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Getting TN is pretty easy if you meet the skill requirements.

Hero_X
10-06-2015, 08:07 PM
Do you only get TN visa if you already have a job offer?

I'm an EIT right now so not sure if I qualify for anything "professional" lol

cancer man
10-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Put your resume on indeed.com. With willing to re-locate.
My Nephew just got a job in Dubai as a chem engineer. (2 days after he posted)
Could not find any work here.

Mibz
10-07-2015, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
It will be pretty tough for Canadians to find jobs in US unless you are proven to be too unique and irreplaceable. What makes you say this? I've had multiple calls for US jobs in the last month and people with my skills are a dime a dozen.

C_Dave45
10-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Wished I could. I have a guaranteed job with a large construction company but no chance of getting a work visa.
US doesn't need a Canucks tile guy when they're so close to the Mexican border. :rofl:

Graham_A_M
10-11-2015, 11:51 PM
^ I'll have to check into this more so too. Lots of Millwright jobs in North Dakota right now. I'll see if I can make it worth their while if I were to cover the costs of setting up the sponsorship deal. :dunno:

Probably non existent nothing in Calgary as there are tons of others in my exact position. :( I haven't really looked as I'm still at the farm and will be for a bit longer, but a buddy is a dual ticketed JM welder and Millwright, with loads more skills then I do, he's been out of work since Feb.
:eek:

Hero_X
10-12-2015, 12:17 AM
I've been checking some engineering companies in the states and a lot of them don't want to sponsor... they pretty much write it in the job posting :banghead: