PDA

View Full Version : Do you still have a mailbox on your house?

snowcat
10-08-2015, 12:21 PM
My community just moved over to community mailboxes.

Do you still have a mailbox on your house?

(I am getting a new exterior and thought it would be nice not to have and cleans up the exterior)

SOAB
10-08-2015, 12:25 PM
no but I wish I did. I hate having to stop at the mailbox on the way home or walk back to it after I park at home.

JfuckinC
10-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
no but I wish I did. I hate having to stop at the mailbox on the way home or walk back to it after I park at home.

haha same, and i just got them like 2 weeks ago :banghead:

so lazy :angel:

But i am going to leave mine up.. just in case?

n1zm0
10-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
But i am going to leave mine up.. just in case?

Is that where the flyers go then? My parent's place had this centrally located mailbox, but we didn't get flyers and I never checked the mail.

My community is moving to this end of this month which I hate the idea of, but whatever, make life easier for the postal workers I guess.

On the upside I remember these boxes had a mail drop off slot, regular sized envelopes only, but pretty convenient

Masked Bandit
10-08-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure there won't be a return to door to door mail delivery so that shouldn't be a motivator. Our community has had the super boxes right from the start so almost nobody has a mailbox on the house. I feel like it would just give the stupid flyer people more reason to stop at my house.

Maybe I should put a milk chute in too?

Mibz
10-08-2015, 12:42 PM
We've used a community box the whole time, but we ended up putting a mailbox beside the front door anyway because we were sick of flyers and shit being left on the front step and the wind blowing it all over the lawn.

NoPulp
10-08-2015, 12:43 PM
We have had the community boxes for 10 years now. We still have a box on our house. Weekly paper and other junk mail still gets delivered to house. It's better than them leaving it on the doorstep and making a big mess if it rains or the wind picks up.

JfuckinC
10-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Is that where the flyers go then? My parent's place had this centrally located mailbox, but we didn't get flyers and I never checked the mail.

My community is moving to this end of this month which I hate the idea of, but whatever, make life easier for the postal workers I guess.

On the upside I remember these boxes had a mail drop off slot, regular sized envelopes only, but pretty convenient

i have a large no flyers sign on my mailbox :rofl:

but you're right it's convenient to mail things!

D'z Nutz
10-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
but whatever, make life easier for the postal workers I guess.

Yeah, they got it rough not giving people their packages and leaving them with pick up slips or taking the day off before a long weekend.

nzwasp
10-08-2015, 12:50 PM
If the libs or ndp get in and reinstate it will they just stop the rollout of this in its tracks or will they go back to delivery in the communities that used to have it.

Tik-Tok
10-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Is this actual on one of their platforms? Hahaha

Still have mail delivered to the door, for now anyways. Our only neighbouring community got the superboxes 2 weeks ago though, only a matter of time.

revelations
10-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Superboxes FTW.

Though, I wish CP offered a 3rd party door delivery system for a fee. Non-mobile people wont be happy.

jwslam
10-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
I live in a cul-de-sac and mine is 6 houses PAST mine. Who designs this stuff :banghead: :banghead:

Tarrantula
10-08-2015, 01:10 PM
I heard that it was actually illegal in some way to NOT have a mailbox on your home. Anyone confirm this?

Skyline_Addict
10-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
I heard that it was actually illegal in some way to NOT have a mailbox on your home. Anyone confirm this?

If there's a community mailbox, I doubt it's illegal to not have one.

Source: My house since 2005 has not had a mailbox on the house. Been living there since 2010 and never had a visit from bylaw.

zoik
10-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I live in a cul-de-sac and mine is 6 houses PAST mine. Who designs this stuff :banghead: :banghead:

i have one directly across the street from my house, i can park right beside it when i come home, and there's another box about 10 steps from the back of my garage. my community mailbox is at the other end of the block. i called and asked if they can move it to the one directly across from my house, they said they can't, and i lost it on the guy when i asked him if it made sense that there was one across the street from my house and you are making me walk a block away. he said it made perfect sense to him, so i asked to talk to the guy that planned this. oh he's on sick leave.... how convenient. was it really that hard to do a spatial nearest neighbour assessment? YES it is.

?????
10-08-2015, 04:58 PM
Been using community mailbox since 1990 at my parents and most if not all our neighbors have mailboxes.
Mostly used for flyers and if anyone drops something off.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yeah, they got it rough not giving people their packages and leaving them with pick up slips or taking the day off before a long weekend.

We've gone through quite a few delivery workers...some are great, some are good, some are bad.

16hypen3sp
10-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Our mailbox was about 10 km away from us when I lived on the farm. Then, when I moved into town, it was on the other side of town... couple minutes drive.

Today, I have a box in the community mailbox. 5 doors down from me.

I love it.

CompletelyNumb
10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
We've used a community box the whole time, but we ended up putting a mailbox beside the front door anyway because we were sick of flyers and shit being left on the front step and the wind blowing it all over the lawn.

:werd:

Drives me nuts

Mista Bob
10-08-2015, 06:30 PM
I have a mailbox at my house but not for much longer I imagine.
Personally I'd rather just have the community mailbox

JordanLotoski
10-08-2015, 06:36 PM
We still have mailboxes at our homes in our community, and Think we will be the last to change over.

16hypen3sp
10-09-2015, 02:08 PM
I built my home and the builder had to put one on as bylaw/architectural controls or something. The town said the reason why was to stop flyers flying all over the place. Usually it gets packed with flyers and I just throw them into the recycle bin.

And further to my first post, I support ending home to home delivery.

sputnik
10-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
I support ending home to home delivery.

:werd:

I get barely any important letter mail anymore. Really the only thing that I haven't moved completely to electronic format is the odd CRA mail.

All of my bills are sent to ePost or some other web based format. That leaves the only thing in my email is the spam that is sent by Canada Post.

Since I get almost no mail of any beneficial value I am happy with a superbox that I can check once a week just to clean out the garbage that I get in it. It is also nice to have the additional boxes to securely keep small packages in.

jaeden
10-09-2015, 02:26 PM
I don't have a mailbox on my house but I will probably get one just for all the flyers to go, that way I can grab and throw them away.

We have community mail box that is very close to my house, its very convenient.

rage2
10-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Is this actual on one of their platforms? Hahaha
Believe it or not, it is.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/07/24/ndp-would-legislate-return-of-door-to-door-mail-delivery-if-necessary.html

Canada Post announced in December 2013 that it was planning to phase out home delivery service nationwide and replace it with community mailboxes, a move explained as a way to save money — about $500 million annually, once the conversion is complete — as mail volume decreases in an increasingly digital age.

Citing the fact that Canada Post is still making a profit — it posted $194 million in pre-tax profits for 2014 — the NDP promised in May they would restore the service if they won the election, but never specified how much it would cost or how it would go about it.
The Marth is strong here haha.

Originally posted by revelations
Superboxes FTW.

Though, I wish CP offered a 3rd party door delivery system for a fee. Non-mobile people wont be happy.
There was a company that was doing it out of Winnipeg. It lasted a month because nobody wanted to pay for such a service. Of course, the NDP will get it for us at rich people's expenses. :rofl:

edit - here's the company:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/winnipeg-startup-seeks-to-fill-at-home-mail-delivery-void-left-by-canada-post/article20949913/

Too bad it didn't work out for them. I would've paid for it.