PDA

View Full Version : Fixing up grout in my shower?

nzwasp
10-09-2015, 10:48 PM
I have a tiled shower and today I noticed a bit of the grout has fallen off the wall. Is this easy to fix? could I do this myself, I guess the biggest problem would be matching the color of the grout.

http://imgur.com/a/MFP5X

schocker
10-10-2015, 08:04 AM
I am no dave, but it should be easy enough to replace. I don't think it comes in too many colors so you should be able to match it at the store. I need to fix my kitchen floor grout but I think I still have some in my basement. Is that grout sealed though, looks fairly new, maybe it wasn't and the water got to it?

black_2.5RS
10-10-2015, 08:23 AM
You would be surprised at how many grout colors there really are. We did our basement and it was pretty crazy. Go to Ames tile, they have a rack on the centre counter where you place your order. You can take grout color samples and match them up to your grout at home.

flipstah
10-10-2015, 09:14 AM
How bad is your OCD? Regrout the whole shower bad or 'meh close enough'?

mr2mike
10-10-2015, 09:23 AM
YEah you're right in dealing with that ASAP. That's pretty bad for water to get in there.

Rocket1k78
10-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Looks like you've got a problem behind the tile. Grout shouldn't pop out like that and it almost looks like its being forced out of the joints. I would guess that the drywall behind the tile is really wet.

I can't say for sure but ill bet theres well over 100 grout colors between the different suppliers.

nzwasp
10-10-2015, 01:13 PM
I put some gorilla tape over it to make sure no extra water got in there. Im not sure how i would test to see how wet the drywall is behind it though. Its been buldging out for about six weeks. And yes I'm much m oree into a quick fix than retiling the whole shower

C_Dave45
10-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Cracking grout or grout falling out is indicative of loose tile. You can rake out the grout in that one joint, (just use an Olfa knife) and re-grout with as close a matching grout as you can. You won't match it perfectly, even if you find the exact grout that was originally used.

Having said that though, if it's a loose tile, it will just start cracking soon after you've fixed it.

Sealing it doesn't do anything. Grout is not waterproof, and no sealing will change that. But a crack like that left unattended will rot your drywall out in a matter of weeks. So the tape is a good idea...but get it fixed ASAP.

You can go to either Home Depot or Rona. They carry Custom and Mapei grouts. Ames carries Custom and Laticrete brand grout.

Use sanded grout.

JRSC00LUDE
10-10-2015, 07:50 PM
While not applicable here Dave, we've started using Ardex FL in commercial kitchens/mop sinks, etc. Ever try it?

C_Dave45
10-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
While not applicable here Dave, we've started using Ardex FL in commercial kitchens/mop sinks, etc. Ever try it?

Yes I've used it on a suppliers' showroom floor. I like it. The only problem is, they never stock it, so it's inconvenient.
I just stick to using Mapei. If I want a faster setting grout, I'll use the Mapei Ultra Colour.

nzwasp
10-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Cracking grout or grout falling out is indicative of loose tile. You can rake out the grout in that one joint, (just use an Olfa knife) and re-grout with as close a matching grout as you can. You won't match it perfectly, even if you find the exact grout that was originally used.

Having said that though, if it's a loose tile, it will just start cracking soon after you've fixed it.

Sealing it doesn't do anything. Grout is not waterproof, and no sealing will change that. But a crack like that left unattended will rot your drywall out in a matter of weeks. So the tape is a good idea...but get it fixed ASAP.

You can go to either Home Depot or Rona. They carry Custom and Mapei grouts. Ames carries Custom and Laticrete brand grout.

Use sanded grout.

Thanks for the info, I noticed that its happening on a couple of tiles in the bottom of the shower. It it is wet drywall under there I guess it would just keep on happening until I got it fixed?

The tiles (other than where the grout fell out) seem pretty secure.

nzwasp
10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
As a home maintenance thing how often should grout need to be replaced around tiles, I mean my house is nearly 10 years old, whats a life expectancy on grout?

Zero102
10-13-2015, 10:51 AM
I posted almost this exact same thing a couple years back. I ended up gutting half of the bathroom down to the studs by the time I got all the bad drywall and improperly installed tile out of there. I wish you good luck, but as Dave said - the grout cracked because the tile is moving.

nzwasp
10-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Oh well I guess if after I fix it it pops out again then I will go down that path.

nzwasp
10-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Well the good news is now that I've scraped out my grout where it fell out - there is still grout in there between me and the drywall, the bad news is that I scraped out some other areas near there where it looked a bit dodgy and found a very light 1/16" amount of grout (as opposed to nearly 1/4" where it fell out) and then silicone caulk underneath. So I think I am actually repairing the previous owners shitty repair job. Im not sure how well grout sticks to caulk but maybe not so well after a couple of years worth of showers.

So now ive scraped all that out Im going to repair it with the grout i bought today. Hopefully after proper 2-3 day cure time we will be good.

prae
10-16-2015, 09:43 AM
They sell in-wall moisture meters. Use a "pinless" moisture meter to check on whether the wall board behind the tile is wet. http://www.grainger.com/content/qt-types-of-moisture-meters-346

If it's really just drywall without a moisture barrier behind your tiles, you should consider reboarding with a proper moisture barrier (i.e. kerdi or redgard) and then re-tiling.

Check out the photos from the main floor bathroom I re-did two years ago. http://imgur.com/a/iJs8s Once I pulled the tiles off it didn't look so bad- until I looked at the backside of the drywall. Yum. A moldy/musty smell permeated the house whenever the shower was used.

Doing it on the cheap and easy will cost you big in the end. The mold got me another $5k off the closing price of this house.

nzwasp
10-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by prae
They sell in-wall moisture meters. Use a "pinless" moisture meter to check on whether the wall board behind the tile is wet. http://www.grainger.com/content/qt-types-of-moisture-meters-346

If it's really just drywall without a moisture barrier behind your tiles, you should consider reboarding with a proper moisture barrier (i.e. kerdi or redgard) and then re-tiling.

Check out the photos from the main floor bathroom I re-did two years ago. http://imgur.com/a/iJs8s Once I pulled the tiles off it didn't look so bad- until I looked at the backside of the drywall. Yum. A moldy/musty smell permeated the house whenever the shower was used.

Doing it on the cheap and easy will cost you big in the end. The mold got me another $5k off the closing price of this house.

My house was built in 2006. When was your house originally built. I cant imagine them not having a moisture barrier as it would of been to code right?

blitz
10-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Your thinking of vapor barrier, on the other side of the drywall. There aren't any codes about waterproof membranes for showers or tubs.

nzwasp
10-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by blitz
Your thinking of vapor barrier, on the other side of the drywall. There aren't any codes about waterproof membranes for showers or tubs.

Ah well thats pretty shit eh, oh well i'll take my chances and if a different piece falls out i'll check out the "wetness" then

jwslam
03-19-2024, 08:57 AM
Bump. Is there anyone around we recommend for re-grouting a whole shower? I'm too lazy to tackle this myself.

shakalaka
03-19-2024, 09:22 AM
I had some guys do two of our showers about a year back. Showers are fully tiled including the floor and we noticed small pieces missing and just general discolouration of the grout that we had. Original installed re-did it twice but after a few months it kept happening. A couple years later wife would keep moaning about how bad it looked so I had a new company just re-do the whole thing. Paid them $800 cash for the two showers and they re-did the whole base part and said they used the best grout there is so shouldn't be issues. It's starting to look like shit again. Not necessarily pieces missing, but just general discolouration and weird shit. Not sure what the issue is but if there are pieces missing just put some transparent silicone to seal it and call it a day. It sure is fucking annoying AF.

JRSC00LUDE
03-19-2024, 09:27 AM
Never ever ever do a shower or tub surround without using epoxy grout and if the installer puts up a fuss about how difficult and unnecessary it is - fire him. Never stains, never discolors, never cracks. I have 5 year old light grey grout that looks like it was installed yesterday.

ExtraSlow
03-19-2024, 09:53 AM
Wife was talking about getting our shower re-done. Then obviously that turned into redoing the entire bathroom. RIP to $50k.

bjstare
03-19-2024, 10:00 AM
I had some guys do two of our showers about a year back. Showers are fully tiled including the floor and we noticed small pieces missing and just general discolouration of the grout that we had. Original installed re-did it twice but after a few months it kept happening. A couple years later wife would keep moaning about how bad it looked so I had a new company just re-do the whole thing. Paid them $800 cash for the two showers and they re-did the whole base part and said they used the best grout there is so shouldn't be issues. It's starting to look like shit again. Not necessarily pieces missing, but just general discolouration and weird shit. Not sure what the issue is but if there are pieces missing just put some transparent silicone to seal it and call it a day. It sure is fucking annoying AF.

Sounds like it wasn't epoxy, and may have not even been sealed?

I once used a tile setter who told me we didn't need to seal the light colored (non-epoxy) grout on our kitchen floor. Obviously, he was a moron and I didn't listen to him.

JRSC00LUDE
03-19-2024, 10:19 AM

I once used a tile setter who told me we didn't need to seal the light colored (non-epoxy) grout on our kitchen floor. Obviously, he was a moron and I didn't listen to him.

Sealer is only a temp band-aid also.

bjstare
03-19-2024, 10:39 AM
Sealer is only a temp band-aid also.

Yes for sure.

shakalaka
03-19-2024, 10:57 AM

So our first grout I am unsure what it was. But the shower cost an arm and a leg so I'd assume it was the 'good shit'. But I know for a fact after re-done the used epoxy grout and it's still fucking discolouring and shit. It's not as bad as before but it's definitely not perfect as day one. :dunno:

dirtsniffer
03-19-2024, 11:02 AM
We used a Fiora shower base in our ensuite reno in order to not have to deal with grout on the floor. Sounded like such a headache. Also hated the flex of acrylic pans. Have bene really happy with it so far.

JRSC00LUDE
03-19-2024, 11:38 AM
So our first grout I am unsure what it was. But the shower cost an arm and a leg so I'd assume it was the 'good shit'. But I know for a fact after re-done the used epoxy grout and it's still fucking discolouring and shit. It's not as bad as before but it's definitely not perfect as day one. :dunno:

Then it isn't epoxy. It doesn't happen and when dirty, is easily cleanable.

bjstare
03-19-2024, 11:46 AM
Then it isn't epoxy. It doesn't happen and when dirty, is easily cleanable.

That's not always true. My parents have a shower that's done in epoxy, and it has discolored and it is not cleanable. Epoxy is significantly better than traditional grout, but it isn't perfect and won't stay clean forever.

shakalaka
03-19-2024, 11:49 AM
Agreed. I like the look of all tiled showers which is why spent the extra $ and went that route, but the hassle isn't worth it. @dirstsniffer

And yup, it's definitely epoxy. I have boxes of excess grout sitting in the basement that says it is epoxy.

suntan
03-19-2024, 11:52 AM
It's probably just dirty soap. Get some grout cleaner, takes it right off.

msommers
03-19-2024, 11:53 AM
Dumb question but how do they regrout the tile? As in, how do they remove the old grout and keep the tile? Or do you need new tile?

ExtraSlow
03-19-2024, 11:54 AM
We used a Fiora shower base in our ensuite reno in order to not have to deal with grout on the floor. Sounded like such a headache. Also hated the flex of acrylic pans. Have bene really happy with it so far.
I like the looks of that. Actually, that whole shower looks pretty nice. I'll take it.

shakalaka
03-19-2024, 11:55 AM
I gotta tell our cleaner to put her back into it next time with the floor. lol.

They basically scraped off the old grout with scrapers and blades and what not. Cleaned it all up and then re-grouted it.

I have a steam shower and one of the tilers was saying maybe that is fucking with the grout in some way...even though don't think it should. There are no issues with the wall grout all around, just the base.

JRSC00LUDE
03-19-2024, 03:29 PM
And yup, it's definitely epoxy. I have boxes of excess grout sitting in the basement that says it is epoxy.

That's crazy. Mine is clean as new and I am not the most regular housekeeper in town, it gets surface discolouring but wipes off like nothing. :dunno: