PDA

View Full Version : Something new after 40+ years of driving

speedog
10-10-2015, 10:44 AM
So around 8PM on Saturday evening of last weekend (October 3), I experienced something I never have in 40+ years of driving - I ran over a bicyclist.

Now to backtrack a bit, I had finished up the weekly 'fill the family's guts' grocery shopping experience at the Huntington Hills Superstore and was proceeding west out of the parking lot to turn left onto SB 4th Street NW.. Dark outside, street and parking lights were all working, my vehicle's lights were all on and my 1999 white GMC Sierra with a topper is not difficult to see even in the dark.

I stopped behind the sidewalk, looked both ways and observed traffic coming towards me - I waited for the traffic to clear, checked both ways and then proceeded forward but stopped about 18 inches short of the roadway to check again. Seeing traffic was clear, I proceeded to make my left hand turn and pretty much immediately as I started to proceed, my truck shuddered a bit as if I had run over something.

Now it needs to be noted that I did not see any pedestrians on the sidewalk either - otherwise I wouldn't have proceeded forward.

Once I stopped the truck, I looked around and could not see anything near me - note I was still in the cab of the truck. Now I was a bit more puzzled and so I leaned over to my left and looked forwward out of my driver's side window and much to my surprise, there was a 20-30's white male getting up off of the roadway in front of me.

Needless to say, I was shocked as all hell because I could not comprehend how he came to be where he was. I put the truck in park and upon getting out, notice there's a mountain bike wedged firmly below my front bumper. The young guy says he's okay and I offer to move things out of the way and exchange information - my understanding of the situation at this point is I wouldn't have been at fault because he was riding SB in the NB lanes or so it appeared.

To make all more aware of the situation, it was quite dark at the time and the cyclist was wearing all black clothing, no helmet and had no lights or reflectors on his bicycle. Moving on, he tried to get his bicycle out from beneath my truck and it would not budge, it was lodged quite firmly beneath the front of my truck. I got back in my truck and backed it up off of his bicycle and got back out - by this time he had his bicycle upright and it was quite apparent that his front wheel was going to need to be released.

Then the most mind boggling thing happened, more mind boggling then the fact that I had run over a cyclist - he looks at his bicycle, says "fuck it, I'l just take it home and fix it", picked up his mountain bike and pretty much runs away with it.

So there I stand, him running away and other motorists behind me probably wondering what the hell just happened. I proceeded home and figured that the young lad probably did not want the authorities involved in any shape or form as most normal people would've wanted some resolution to the matter.

As far as the situation, I can only figure he was riding SB on the sidewalk and for some strange reason, felt it would be best to ride in front of me instead of behind me. I am still amazed I didn't see him but he was dressed in all black and for all I know, he maybe came up beside me on my right side and then turned in front of me.

Regardless, it was a first for me in all my years of driving and something I hope I never experience again even if the outcome was again like what happened that night. Almost surreal one could say.

Xtrema
10-10-2015, 10:52 AM
He's in the wrong and will have to pay. He's leaving scene of accident. He's lucky you let him go.

speedog
10-10-2015, 10:54 AM
No damage to my truck other than maybe a scratch or two on the underneath part of the front bumper and I don't worry about scratches too much on that beast.

Robin Goodfellow
10-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by speedog

To make all more aware of the situation, it was quite dark at the time and the cyclist was wearing all black clothing, no helmet and had no lights or reflectors on his bicycle.

What jumps out at me is how much I (currently) resemble this cyclist. I'll see if I can contribute anything in the sense of mindset.

I don't wear a Helmet - Haven't for years, and only do so in particular circumstances - Such as when I was biking professionally and was required.

They're awkward and I just don't like them. Instead, I rely on hyperawareness of who is where.

I'm commuting to work these days, and put on about 15 k each day. And I happen to wear all black.

There may be a reflector on my bike, but none I've added. I take a very pro-active approach, and consider it more important that I know where the cars are than they know where I am.

And as far as the cyclist picking himself up. He was on adrenaline, and even if he took a minor injury, he probably didn't feel it. He will feel it tomorrow, but it'll heal.

And he knows that even the smallest ding to your truck is worth more than his entire bike. He's also hoping that your fear of his medical bill costing more than the ding on your truck motivates you to cut him loose.

And it sounds like he was acting foolishly. If you're going to whip through an intersection on a bike, you also have to be aware of who is potentially entering that intersection first.

HTH.

FraserB
10-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Even at a marked crosswalk, you would not have needed to yield to him, a mounted cyclist is not a pedestrian.

revelations
10-10-2015, 01:37 PM
If that was me in my personal vehicle - in this situation where the dork took off - there would have been cops involved.

Running away from a crash is not acceptable regardless of how much adrenaline or drugs were involved. Discuss the situation first. Witnesses recommended.

Many of these guys wearing hoodies/dark clothing are riding around dealing dope and the last thing they want is attention.

FixedGear
10-10-2015, 02:08 PM
I've been hit by vehicles 3 times while cycling. Two times they stopped to help, but one time tyhe guy just drove off. I've never called the police, mainly because I was always really shaken up, not injured severly, and just wanted to get out of the situation. So I can understand why the guy took off.

USED1
10-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Oddly enough, I was hit by a car this past Monday on my way to work. I had light, reflectors and he still managed to not see me. Same thing, got up and finished my commute but was sure sore that night and the next day.

theken
10-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Cyclist should dismount when crossing a road, or follow the rules of the road as a car has to. Simple

rx7boi
10-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by theken
Cyclist should dismount when crossing a road, or follow the rules of the road as a car has to. Simple

Agreed.

Bugs me when some ride without using proper hand signals and the folks that like to blow through stop signs citing "momentum" as an excuse.

max_boost
10-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Well there's a first for everything!

HiTempguy1
10-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

I'm ignorant and am trying to get ran over

:facepalm:

Robin Goodfellow
10-10-2015, 03:39 PM

"Should"

Some engage with the world as it is, and some wait their whole lives waiting for the world conform to their expectations.

btimbit
10-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Jesus Christ. Lucky he's not hurt but I couldn't imagine the mental condition I'd be in after literally running someone over, at fault or not. Cyclists are insane.

Unrelated, but speeddog doesn't strike me as someone that would drive a 1999 Sierra. I had him as a minivan type. No idea why. Great truck, sir

FixedGear
10-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi

Agreed.

Bugs me when some ride without using proper hand signals and the folks that like to blow through stop signs citing "momentum" as an excuse.

Bugs me when autos don't use turn signals and blow through stop signs too. :dunno: yes, this happens ALL THE TIME.

sxtasy
10-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Sounds like Nenshi is to blame in this situation, for not implementing bike lanes in this particular area of the city.

roll_over
10-10-2015, 07:29 PM
Good thing you didn't write him a blank check

sumguy777
10-10-2015, 08:33 PM
maybe he stole the bike?

JRSC00LUDE
10-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by sumguy777
maybe he stole the bike?

Would have ditched it then.

speedog
10-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Jesus Christ. Lucky he's not hurt but I couldn't imagine the mental condition I'd be in after literally running someone over, at fault or not. Cyclists are insane.

Unrelated, but speeddog doesn't strike me as someone that would drive a 1999 Sierra. I had him as a minivan type. No idea why. Great truck, sir
When the kids were young, we had a couple of Chev Astros - damn tough vehicle that could haul an amazing amount of stuff. The Sierra - just a work truck, also tough as ever, even more so then the Astro's. Probably wouldn't be driving a truck if it weren't for my current needs, a small fuel efficient car would suit me fine but just can't haul what I need to these days.

birdman86
10-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Maybe he was drunk and legit didn't give a shit at that point?

Originally posted by rx7boi

Agreed.

I couldn't believe this the other day... Am me on bike in bike lanes, one bike in front of me another one following behind (all unrelated). Get red light. First rider slows down, but rides through intersection. SMH. I stop cause I'm a good boy. Lady behind me rolls past without slowing down, literally says "Looks like he's got the right idea", and goes through the light as well. Right as I'm about to shout "are you fucking kidding me" at this lady, I see an SUV coming up to their green light and have to SLAM on the brakes to avoid this stupid bitch. Couldn't fucking believe my eyes.

What the fuck is wrong with people.

NewLextasy
10-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
Good thing you didn't write him a blank check

Haha. To funny ,Loved that movie

FixedGear
10-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by birdman86
Maybe he was drunk and legit didn't give a shit at that point?

I couldn't believe this the other day... Am me on bike in bike lanes, one bike in front of me another one following behind (all unrelated). Get red light. First rider slows down, but rides through intersection. SMH. I stop cause I'm a good boy. Lady behind me rolls past without slowing down, literally says "Looks like he's got the right idea", and goes through the light as well. Right as I'm about to shout "are you fucking kidding me" at this lady, I see an SUV coming up to their green light and have to SLAM on the brakes to avoid this stupid bitch. Couldn't fucking believe my eyes.

What the fuck is wrong with people.

Yesterday I was driving to the grocery store and had to stop for a stoplight. Some guy behind me decided he didnt want to stop, so took a right at the stoplight and then immediately whipped a u turn so her could take another right (and thus driving through the original red light). Couldn't fucking believe my eyes.

There are idiotic drivers everywhere. I see people doing silly shit on a daily basis. It's actually way more common to see people doing dumb shit in a car than on a bike. It's pretty lame when people try to use this as evidence that cycles shouldn't be on the road, or that cyclists are idiots. The case can be made for autos too. Ban cars, right?

Amysicle
10-11-2015, 09:52 AM

FixedGear
10-11-2015, 10:15 AM
oh c'mon :rofl:

Khyron
10-11-2015, 11:40 AM

When entering/leaving the pathway system from the road a lot of times I have to use the crosswalk that's in an offramp lane - and I wear cleats which is like walking in ice skates. If I see the car slowing down for me I can whip across and be gone, keeping everyone moving, but if I have to unclip and walk across you're getting a full stop along with 10 cars behind you.

I also never run lights (don't want to be hit) and even at stop signs I only roll if I'm going behind a cars turn - ie, if the car stops first I wouldn't blow the sign stealing its turn, I'd instead time it so that I can go after.

No hits, no much yelling other than the occasional "Get on the sidewalk" rednecks.

FixedGear
10-11-2015, 12:00 PM
I ran out to grab lunch, saw the following in my 10 minute drive:

1) guy in giant truck rolls through stop sign coming out of parking complex, comes to a stop in the crosswalk at a red light, then proceeds to turn left through the red light onto a very busy McLeod-type road with a speed limit of 55mph

2) guy in shitbox civic turns left into oncoming traffic - cutting off two vehicles that had the right of wat - then rolls through next stop sign.

Idiots are everywhere. The difference is that your 6000 lb 4x4 grocery getter can kill a family, whereas a bicycle *might* scratch some paint.

speedog
10-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Idiots are everywhere. The difference is that your 6000 lb 4x4 grocery getter can kill a family, whereas a bicycle *might* scratch some paint.
While there might be a difference, I still can not condone in any way being an idiot on a bicycle - certainly the actions of the bicyclist I ran over are not justifiable in any way and especially so when I took every possible effort to make sure my left hand turn out of the parking lot was safe to do so. If this cyclist had had a front headlight, it might have made a difference as it would've been a light in my peripheral vision sight lines and aside from that, doesn't the law in Calgary state that a bicyclist is required to have a headlight on the front and at least rear facing reflectors at night?

FixedGear
10-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I don't condone being an idiot on a bike either, I'm just trying to point out the double standard on here regarding road etiquette for bicycles and autos. I deal with shit drivers way more than bicycles.

speedog
10-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Fair enough but knowing the general audience/participants on beyond, why would you expect anything else?

I am not tolerant of idiocy regardless of the form of transportation one is utilizing and if a cyclist, one would like to think making yourself a bit more visible, and especially at night, would be a good thing. I still, though, see far too many cyclists who opt not to make themselves more visible and as a cyclist myself, I just do not understand one of that mindset - when it's dark, lights and even some reflective material just should be a part of any bicyclist's gear.

FixedGear
10-11-2015, 03:42 PM
I totally agree. And it sounds like the guy you hit was totally asking for it.

theken
10-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

When entering/leaving the pathway system from the road a lot of times I have to use the crosswalk that's in an offramp lane - and I wear cleats which is like walking in ice skates. If I see the car slowing down for me I can whip across and be gone, keeping everyone moving, but if I have to unclip and walk across you're getting a full stop along with 10 cars behind you.

I also never run lights (don't want to be hit) and even at stop signs I only roll if I'm going behind a cars turn - ie, if the car stops first I wouldn't blow the sign stealing its turn, I'd instead time it so that I can go after.

No hits, no much yelling other than the occasional "Get on the sidewalk" rednecks.
sounds like you actually have respect for vehicles around you and generally follow the rules of the road. If people are crossing across 3-4 lanes against traffic, or pulling in front of a car, then, same rules as a car, if they are in the wrong they are in the wrong, i am not going to defend cars not being idiots, as i drive for a living, and yes i can't go an hour without shaking my head, or saying wtf, I am also not going to defend cyclists, there are good and bad ones, and the bad ones of both vehicles will end up in an accident or dead, and there is no one to blame but themselves.

Feruk
10-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Yesterday I was driving to the grocery store and had to stop for a stoplight. Some guy behind me decided he didnt want to stop, so took a right at the stoplight and then immediately whipped a u turn so her could take another right (and thus driving through the original red light). Couldn't fucking believe my eyes.
So the guy legally made a right turn. He was no longer at an intersection on completion, did a legal U-turn, and then did one more legal right turn? What couldn't you believe?

FixedGear
10-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

So the guy legally made a right turn. He was no longer at an intersection on completion, did a legal U-turn, and then did one more legal right turn? What couldn't you believe?

There's no way what that guy did was legal, but even if it was, imagine the chaos that would ensue if everybody drove like that.

speedog
10-12-2015, 08:32 PM
The u-turn described would've been illegal.

flipstah
10-12-2015, 09:53 PM
You can get a DUI on a bicycle. Perhaps the cyclist didn't want that.

Feruk
10-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by speedog
The u-turn described would've been illegal.
How so? He's out of the intersection. U-turns are legal except for marked intersections.

relyt92
10-12-2015, 10:29 PM

How so? He's out of the intersection. U-turns are legal except for marked intersections. Untrue, U-turns can only legally be done in intersections without traffic control devices or parking lot entrances.

speedog
10-12-2015, 10:43 PM

How so? He's out of the intersection. U-turns are legal except for marked intersections.
Read and learn - http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2000.htm

JRSC00LUDE
10-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
You can get a DUI on a bicycle. Perhaps the cyclist didn't want that.

No, you cannot.

snowcat
10-14-2015, 01:51 AM
Riding the wrong way, no lights and on the sidewalk.

A cyclist not following the rules in Calgary? No way, I have never heard of this.

cancer man
10-14-2015, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

No, you cannot.

You want to bet and you can even get one on a horse.

Khyron
10-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by cancer man

We had this pony show in another thread so I'll save you the time.

Can you get a DUI on a bike?

No.

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traffic/Impaired-driving.aspx

Originally posted by codetrap
Driver Fitness <[email protected]>;

Cyclists are required to follow the rules of the road in accordance with the Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation. As such, they are subject to tickets and fines for traffic violations. Cyclists who are walking beside or pushing their bicycle are considered by law to be a pedestrian and required to follow rules as they apply to pedestrians.

The only violations placed on a driving record would be for convictions related directly to the operation of a motor vehicle. Any ticket issued to an individual on a bicycle would not be placed on a driving record. If a violation is added to their driving record while cycling, an individual may contact Driver Fitness and Monitoring to have their record reviewed and the conviction removed.

For further information please contact Alberta Transportation at 780-427-8230, toll free anywhere in Alberta by dialing 310-0000. Our office hours are 8:15 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Thank you for using our web services.

eglove
10-14-2015, 10:20 AM

Key word: "Motor Vehicle"

JRSC00LUDE
10-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Yes. Yes I do. You CANNOT be given a DUI when operating a device that is powered solely by human muscular action. Period. Ever. If you do, it will be thrown out as being invalid. If you decided to pay those fines and accept that punishment (if a cop was daft enough to give it to you), you are stupid.