PDA

View Full Version : Covering your face to vote.

16hypen3sp
10-10-2015, 05:36 PM
It appears the Niqab debate has brought attention to voting laws.

It appears you can actually vote while wearing a full mask after you take an oath.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/advance-polls-federal-election-niqab-clown-potato-sack-1.3265147

Sugarphreak
10-10-2015, 05:42 PM

FraserB
10-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I don't really care if they wear a mask while voting... but unless they are using fingerprints, they still need them to uncover their face to identify who they are... don't they?

Otherwise what prevents me from dressing up in a mask, obtaining a stolen drivers licence, and pretending to be somebody else? :dunno:

You swear an oath to the returning officer that you are who you say you are.

Anyone know where I can find a potato sack?

IggyB
10-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Will a clear plastic potato sack work?:rofl:

Robin Goodfellow
10-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
It appears the Niqab debate has brought attention to voting laws.

It appears you can actually vote while wearing a full mask after you take an oath.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/advance-polls-federal-election-niqab-clown-potato-sack-1.3265147

Haha... Our prime minister is trolling, and you took the bait.

Robin Goodfellow
10-10-2015, 06:19 PM
I don't really care if they wear a mask while voting... but unless they are using fingerprints, they still need them to uncover their face to identify who they are... don't they?

Otherwise what prevents me from dressing up in a mask, obtaining a stolen drivers licence, and pretending to be somebody else? :dunno:

Nothing, really, except that it's a lot of effort for little payoff, and doesn't scale up well.

Moreso, a record is kept that that person voted, so it's not like extra votes could be created this way - It would just be simple impersonation.

rx7_turbo2
10-10-2015, 06:23 PM
My wife had to vouch for me this year, and I had to pledge an oath.

I just renewed my drivers license so I have the temporary piece of paper, no address. I brought my passport for photo ID but forgot to bring anything else with my name and address, well except for the voter card they mail to me with my name and address :nut:

He never asked to see photo ID, so if you pledge the oath and sign maybe they don't need to prove with I'd you are who you claim.

Sugarphreak
10-11-2015, 10:14 AM

Seth1968
10-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Hide your face and body you lustful whore. Lest we gang rape you, then stone you death for being such a whore.

Robin Goodfellow
10-11-2015, 11:10 AM
I am curious, do they allow people to wear veils when they get a DL picture taken? How is this any different?

Sure, not a big deal... until you go to vote and find out somebody already did it for you.

If even one person gets screwed out of voting, it is unacceptable IMO

I've heard the NDP are encouraging beer boxes

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEXRw3tUsAEJeyz.jpg

Is that Debra Drever again?

She's the gift that keeps on giving...

Robin Goodfellow
10-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Sure, not a big deal... until you go to vote and find out somebody already did it for you.

Is this happening?

JRSC00LUDE
10-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Is this happening?

GREAT logic.

Xtrema
10-11-2015, 09:42 PM
fraud happens. it ~1% lets say we triple it, its still 3%. unless a riding is decided within 3% of votes, it doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things.

if we stop defunding election Canada and let it do its job, fraud should be under control.

nonofyobiz
10-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
fraud happens. it ~1% lets say we triple it, its still 3%. unless a riding is decided within 3% of votes, it doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things.

if we stop defunding election Canada and let it do its job, fraud should be under control.

We still need to 100% protect the integrity of the voting process, or else it will certainly get worse and worse until it *does* matter one day.

Sugarphreak
10-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Tik-Tok
10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Isn't that such a brilliant solution though? I mean, certainly no one who would commit fraud, would also dare to lie while taking an oath. :nut:

Seth1968
10-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Ask these females why they hide their face in public.

Robin Goodfellow
10-13-2015, 08:00 AM
What's fascinating to me is how easily the attention of so many is being misdirected by this fantastical what-if scenario.

It's like a gaggle of cats chasing a laser pointer.

Meanwhile, one can only wonder what actual kinds of voter fraud *ARE* taking place.

I think we'll find out after the election.

ExtraSlow
10-13-2015, 08:26 AM
I agree, this entire debate is intended to divert attention away from issues that are already happening, to this highly theoretical one.

Zhariak
10-13-2015, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Anyone know where I can find a potato sack?

I'm wondering if this is how the NDP got elected provincially in the last provincial election, lol...

Tik-Tok
10-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Well, one Edmontonian covered his face, and I think was pretty disappointed with the reactions, lol.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/edmonton/masked-man-edmonton-election-voting-1.3267816

"Nobody really reacted. Some people did take notice, but nobody really said anything. There was a bit of pointing ... but nothing I would think they expected."

It wasn't until the couple was leaving that election officials spoke up, but it wasn't the man's get-up that irked them, Munoz said. It was the woman's iPad.

Election officials told the couple it was illegal to record video in a polling station, he said.
"He pleaded with him, and asked them to erase the footage and they refused."

phreezee
10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
-

Robin Goodfellow
10-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Well, one Edmontonian covered his face, and I think was pretty disappointed with the reactions, lol.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/edmonton/masked-man-edmonton-election-voting-1.3267816

Cheap trolling, at the expense of volunteers.

sexualbanana
10-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Stealing this from the comments section. Basically sums it up:

I can imagine him telling the story at work: "So I went and voted with my face covered. If the Muslims can, why can't I?" "So they didn't let you vote?" "No, they let me vote." *awkward silence and then everyone goes back to work sorting cans*

Robin Goodfellow
10-13-2015, 12:43 PM
It wasn't until the couple was leaving that election officials spoke up, but it wasn't the man's get-up that irked them, Munoz said. It was the woman's iPad.

The advance polling station at Monsignor William Irwin school was busy Monday afternoon. (Kim Trynacity/CBC)
Election officials told the couple it was illegal to record video in a polling station, he said.

"He pleaded with him, and asked them to erase the footage and they refused."

According to the Elections Canada website, voters are not allowed to take photographs or make audio or video recordings inside a polling station.

Mario38
10-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
It's only illegal to record the marking of the ballot. Rebel media had a man record the whole oath taking while wearing a burqa.

You cannot take photos or video in a voting area unless permission is given by the Returning Officer. Permission is usually only given to the media.

Mario38
10-13-2015, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz

We still need to 100% protect the integrity of the voting process, or else it will certainly get worse and worse until it *does* matter one day.

One cannot 100% protect anything. It is too high a bar to set and is partly why improvements to some processes are not made. When someone suggests an improvement, they are asked "is it 100% safe". When they reply "no", the suggestion is turned down even though it is better than what is currently used.

The bar is set low for the status quo and high for changes. Also why we have such a poor voting process.

Xtrema
10-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by nonofyobiz

Lol.

Integrity?

The only thing that will ensure integrity is mandatory voting. The more people voting, the less impact frauds would impact the outcome.

Mario38
10-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Nothing, really, except that it's a lot of effort for little payoff, and doesn't scale up well.

Moreso, a record is kept that that person voted, so it's not like extra votes could be created this way - It would just be simple impersonation.

This could contribute to an extra vote. If you go to vote and it shows you already voted, then you can declare an oath that you have not already voted, and they will let you vote. It is in the rules to cover for mistakes and you would be surprised how many mistakes are made.

gwill
10-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Now if this was allowed in other industries it would be even worst. Could you imagine being 16 and being provided the same freedoms in a bar so you could go drink whenever you wanted? Put on a mask, show your parents ID. I would have tried this when younger..

I think the videos highligt how easy the fraud is. If I was a candidate and I lost to a few votes I'D be pissed off. We had a few close ridings in this provincial election that fraud could have easily swayed the winner. They need to crack down on the rules to ensure fraud of the easiest nature is caught... At this point it's a free for all that makes a mockery of the system.

Sugarphreak
10-13-2015, 05:35 PM

sabad66
10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
They should have electronic voting tied to your SIN and photo ID. That way when entered it can check real time if you've voted already or not.

sxtasy
10-13-2015, 07:57 PM
:rofl: ;)

TDRg9Ma70xk

phreezee
10-13-2015, 11:05 PM
^ so glad we give the CBC $1B.

A distraction from the attitudes and beliefs held in certain parts of the world. But again it's their choice.

L8i6C7c_46c