PDA

View Full Version : Employment Insurance MEGA THREAD

Pages : [1] 2 3

ExtraSlow
10-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Hey guys, thought I'd start a single thread to hold all the EI discussions. Seems like we've had a few thread hijackings elsewhere.

I'll kick it off, with my understanding of the process of applying.
- Request an access code, wait 5-10 days for snail mail to arrive
- Download ROE
- Apply
- Wait several weeks before you get a response.

- Profit??!!

Does that sound about right?

I see you are supposed to apply within thirty days of being laid off. Seems like that means you should request that access code right away, so you aren't up against the deadline.

Anyone else have tips, tricks, or questions about EI?

nzwasp
10-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Here is the only trick that exists for getting through on the phone: When you dial 1-800-206-7218 you press '0' at the menu for an agent. When you get the message about call volume is too high, you press '1' which takes you back to the main menu. You choose '0' again, and then '1' again if it's still not letting you in. Just 1 and 0 until it lets you wait on hold. Then leave it on speakerphone as you wait.

ExtraSlow
10-15-2015, 09:50 AM
That's great to know.
Is there any advantage to using the phone system instead of online?

dandia89
10-15-2015, 09:51 AM
when you get laid off, read the severance package. mine indicated my ROE as "quit" which made me ineligible for EI. I had to get HR call service canada to alter my ruling. Some employers send the ROE directly to service canada, some make you do it. figure that out right away. It makes the process quicker

nickyh
10-15-2015, 10:00 AM
another phone tip, start calling at 8am MST, there is a recording saying the phone line opens at 8:30 but I once got through at 8:15 or so and only waited on hold for 10min vs calling at 8:30 and having a 45min + wait time, I also called on a Wednesday. I don't know if that did the trick or was just a fluke but it took me two weeks of calling and sitting on hold being disconnected after waiting on hold to get through.

The service Canada centre is useless as they often refer you to call the 1-800#

colinxx235
10-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Pretty close Peter. Although from experience you don't HAVE to apply within 30 days of being unemployed, but I did find doing within 30 days got a quicker response time. As well neither time was I required to mail in or submit an ROE, every company I have worked at does digital so they have them on file.

And the online system is quick/easy. Shows all your claim info, messages, outstanding items, etc etc. Then every second friday its a couple simple questions, all no's and one yes. Then it goes smooth. Only time I had to call in was when a company sent me a delayed incentive check, and I clicked the "other payment section" to be safe, unfortunately it counted as my entire EI for that two week period.

But otherwise just be very honest if you leave the country is my only advice from some bad friend/acquaintances stories...

lint
10-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Calling on a wednesday is better than calling on a monday if you need to phone in.

Graham_A_M
10-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Oddly mine stopped about 6 weeks ago, when I tried to fill out a biweekly report on my phone stating my status as an unemployed hobo, it said I don't have an active claim anymore and as a result I no longer can get benefits.

So I have to go to a claims office and see what's happening. Definitely strange. Hopefully I can get reimbursed for the loss of earnings up until now. :(. I tried calling it in to speak to a person, but with the 45 minute wait times, it's happened before that after holding for that entire time, for the call just to be dropped along the way, which is exceptionally frustrating.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Did my application online today, and had no issues. I had been waiting, as I thought it would be helpful to have a copy of my ROE, which was submitted online, and I hadn`t seen. Was having trouble downloading it from Service Canada. Decided that I need to get the ball moving, and submitted my application without it. Service Canada should have a copy, even if I don`t.

urbannomad
10-17-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm still employed. but a question. Someone told me if you leave the country while on EI, they can ask for the money back. But what if you had booked the flights and trip well in advance? Do they treat cases, as one-offs, or is it a flat/blanket policy?

CompletelyNumb
10-17-2015, 07:45 PM
It's not complicated, every week you fill out a very simple online questionnaire. The weeks you're out of town, specify that. You don't receive benefits those weeks. They resume when you're back.

colinxx235
10-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
I'm still employed. but a question. Someone told me if you leave the country while on EI, they can ask for the money back. But what if you had booked the flights and trip well in advance? Do they treat cases, as one-offs, or is it a flat/blanket policy?

fill out the report saying you left country on the exact days you were gone. yes, you will not receive any money. It is much better than lying and getting caught. They can forfeit your EI benefits if they want to based upon that

leftwing
10-18-2015, 04:19 PM
If you know that you will be laid off on a certain date, can you start the process of signing up for EI in advance so when you are laid off you have everything sorted out and can start receiving payments immediately?

ExtraSlow
10-18-2015, 04:56 PM
I don't think you can apply until you have been laid off. Also, there is a two week waiting period at a bare minimum. So you can't get paid for those two weeks.

No idea what the processing time is these days, I'll let you kkow when I get my first payment.

J.M.
10-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Apply the last day you go to work. That's what I did in 2012 lol

Brent.ff
10-19-2015, 07:42 PM
Mine was weird, as they took my vacation payout (hadn't used any of it) as being pay from the employer, so I didn't get a nickel by the time I found new gig (approx a month later).

colinxx235
10-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
Mine was weird, as they took my vacation payout (hadn't used any of it) as being pay from the employer, so I didn't get a nickel by the time I found new gig (approx a month later).

Yup, I got dinged for that too. Work was crazy and couldn't use it, and then got punished for it.

Brent.ff
10-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Guess I can't bitch as I found a job, but was annoyed by the system..

Hero_X
10-20-2015, 10:59 PM
Did any of you get selected to goto that "Information session"? I got a letter for that and...I'm not sure why.

They haven't even paid me a single penny and they want to see where I've been applying and such lol

Fine with me but still really early :dunno:

Kobe
10-21-2015, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Hero_X
Did any of you get selected to goto that "Information session"? I got a letter for that and...I'm not sure why.

They haven't even paid me a single penny and they want to see where I've been applying and such lol

Fine with me but still really early :dunno:

From when I was on EI that was random, didn't get it first two years and then they made me go at 8am the 3rd year I was on it.. (Seasonal construction job)

It wasn't really showing them where you worked but more on how to apply for jobs and shit, it was pretty stupid but you are required to go..

ExtraSlow
10-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Does anyone know if it matters if you start a business while on EI? I would think it would only make a difference if that business is profitable/paying you money, is that right?

dirtsniffer
10-21-2015, 09:12 AM
I think SP had a similar idea where he was going to do some contract work at not take out any money from the business until his EI ran out. Don't know if anything came of it.

colinxx235
10-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Well they do have the one very specific line in the report, have you completed any work that you will receive money for now or in the future. Always a big risk to do so if you get caught...

CompletelyNumb
10-21-2015, 09:34 AM
As long as long as you don't pull a salary or dividend for the period you're on EI you should be fine. Most businesses arent profitable on day one anyways.

Davetronz
10-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Does anyone know if it matters if you start a business while on EI? I would think it would only make a difference if that business is profitable/paying you money, is that right?
Here's the kicker - you need to be available 8am-4pm for full time work, or whatever they tell you that you need to be available for - or you are non-eligible for EI.

As soon as the hours of your business interfere with what they feel should be core working hours, they cancel your EI. If you're doing any sort of work or labor (including self-employed income) it needs to be declared, and a percentage of the value, up to certain values are deducted from your EI claim every couple weeks. It's a big pain in the ass from experience.

Sugarphreak
10-23-2015, 12:04 PM

Xtrema
10-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
It is kind of a BS rule though. I agree that people shouldn't be going to SAIT or UofC, online courses can be done fully outside of business hours, and are flexible around any job hunting activity or future job hours. I don't have to tell them how many hours I read at night before bed, or how many hours I spend doing recreational activities, or how many hours I spend on the can. Why do I have to tell them how many hours I spend doing self studying activities?
/Rant

Because I believe if you are going full time school, you can't get EI unless you are approved.

It's more like old rule doesn't quite adapt to the new world of internet.

Swank
10-23-2015, 02:01 PM
I was pretty sure you don't qualify for EI if you get severance. Well, you do qualify but they don't start paying until after the amount of time passes that they expect your severance to have lasted you. Mine wasn't going to start paying for 16 months :cry:

Sugarphreak
10-23-2015, 02:22 PM

colinxx235
10-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Because I believe if you are going full time school, you can't get EI unless you are approved.

It's more like old rule doesn't quite adapt to the new world of internet.

I've always been curious how that whole scenario works. I have met my share of welders/similar programs who get "laid off" and then go get there upgraded ticket while receiving full EI and come back to company after done

Xtrema
10-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Swank
Mine wasn't going to start paying for 16 months :cry:

That's actually awesome and not :cry:.

You either enjoy some paid time off or find another job and get dual income for a period of time.

What would anyone want EI is beyond me. That's just to save your ass to buy you time to cope.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Just a heads up on the nuts and bolts of the process.
I initially requested a service canada access code, and THEN applied for EI.
You really don't need to request that access code, as you will get one mailed to you after you do that initial application.

So, if your ROE is submitted online, you don't even need to look at it, just apply online right away, and then couble-check your ROE after they send you the access code.

I ended up with two access codes, which isn't really helpful.

So I filled out my first two Two-week reports today. Was out of the country for three weekdays. It's not too tough to figure out how they want that filled out, but it's annoying, you basically have to tell them three times that you weren't available for work. Sort of stupid, but it's government, what did I expect?

HiTempguy1
10-27-2015, 11:10 AM
that is basically it. Stay home and watch Netflix or play Xbox all you want... But don't you dare do something productive with your time!

No kidding eh? EI sounds like a shit show

Originally posted by colinxx235

I've always been curious how that whole scenario works. I have met my share of welders/similar programs who get "laid off" and then go get there upgraded ticket while receiving full EI and come back to company after done

If you can prove that you need to be "re-educated" in a different field because there is no work available in your current career and no other jobs available, you can get EI while being in school. Lots of people were on that program back when I was at NAIT. Very onerous though, you have to go to every class, have the instructor sign off you were there, and there are other rules.

All of this EI talk makes me happy that I have skills/abilities that require minimal capital and are cash-under-the-table type work.

nzwasp
11-18-2015, 01:34 PM
So Telus have given me a severance package of approx 25k. EI website says I need to call them to find out how much of a delay there would be if I collect EI. How much delay did you guys experience?

Sugarphreak
11-18-2015, 01:48 PM

FraserB
11-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Well they do have the one very specific line in the report, have you completed any work that you will receive money for now or in the future. Always a big risk to do so if you get caught...

Does this apply to renovations as well? If I was to spend a bunch of time adding a bedroom to rent out, theoretically I'm going to be deriving future income from the work I'm doing.

Xtrema
11-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
So Telus have given me a severance package of approx 25k. EI website says I need to call them to find out how much of a delay there would be if I collect EI. How much delay did you guys experience?

Find out what your weekly pay was before. Severance divided by weekly pay is the weeks of your EI delay will be.

acedia
11-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
It's not complicated, every week you fill out a very simple online questionnaire. The weeks you're out of town, specify that. You don't receive benefits those weeks. They resume when you're back.

Yep, and definitely do not try and get away without telling them. When a bunch of us were on EI about 6 years ago after getting laid off (my first and only time using it) one guy went to Hawaii for 2 weeks, already had it booked. Got caught when they flagged him as leaving the country, he had to pay back everything he had been paid up to that point, paid a hefty fine, and he was ineligible for EI for 5 years. Not worth the risk, just suck it up and lose the week or two of pay.

Funny, I was on it for several months and never had to say a word about applying for work. It surprised me actually, I assumed I'd be sending in contact info of places I was applying to. We actually get people in to work here now that just walk up to the front desk and ask if they can put us down as a place they applied at. They don't even bother applying, but want us to say they did. WTF.

colinxx235
11-18-2015, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Does this apply to renovations as well? If I was to spend a bunch of time adding a bedroom to rent out, theoretically I'm going to be deriving future income from the work I'm doing.

I wouldn't know if that would apply, probably also depends if that is your main residence? As I was under the impression that income from renters isn't taxable (I could be wrong, I own a house and had a buddy rent for 9 months before moving home due to economy in Sept).

The main things I see it applying to are people doing under table jobs, or any Engineer consults doing lots of work and finding a way to invoice the client several months later for accumulated totals and dodging EI.

pheoxs
11-18-2015, 03:17 PM

I wouldn't know if that would apply, probably also depends if that is your main residence? As I was under the impression that income from renters isn't taxable (I could be wrong, I own a house and had a buddy rent for 9 months before moving home due to economy in Sept).

The main things I see it applying to are people doing under table jobs, or any Engineer consults doing lots of work and finding a way to invoice the client several months later for accumulated totals and dodging EI.

Income from renters is definitely taxable. Unless you are renting for significantly under market value (i.e. your brother is chipping you a few hundred for a cheap place to live) or your expenses out weigh your income.

colinxx235
11-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Income from renters is definitely taxable. Unless you are renting for significantly under market value (i.e. your brother is chipping you a few hundred for a cheap place to live) or your expenses out weigh your income.

Hmm well guess I was wrong. Although I googled quickly to try and read, its seems like more often than not for a situation of renting one room out in your house that is mortgaged you would almost always wash out anyways. Balancing the rent income vs expenses, mortage interest, etc etc as it listed.

I am definitely not a situation where you own several duplexes or apartment and renting them out all over.

That or I would just argue that I had it rented at less than market value (which I was being quite nice) as per the other statement in the tax guidelines on the site. Funny enough with the current market it is very difficult to rent out a room in a brand new house in Aspen lol, that or kijiji is not an effective place to list. Might have to try rent finder or such. Andddd now way off thread topic.

Xtrema
11-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Try rentfaster.ca

But a room at Aspen may not be as desirable unless it's the units right across from the 69th St C-Train station.

Don't know how renting out room at primary works but I would assume % of mortgage interest, condo fee, utility can be written off against the rental income which hope that's a wash anyway.

colinxx235
11-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Try rentfaster.ca

But a room at Aspen may not be as desirable unless it's the units right across from the 69th St C-Train station.

Don't know how renting out room at primary works but I would assume % of mortgage interest, condo fee, utility can be written off against the rental income which hope that's a wash anyway.

Yah I think I might give that site a try here, its been about 6 weeks of listing without much work off kijiji. It isn't right across the street, its up 85th a bit, under 3kms or just a 2 minute drive. Oh well, joys of vacancy going up I guess.

From what I read quickly after his comment to mine, yes you can write off mortgage interest, any fees, utilities, property taxes, insurance, advertising, maintenance etc.

leftwing
11-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Yup, I got dinged for that too. Work was crazy and couldn't use it, and then got punished for it.

So if you know you are getting laid off, and you will have a lot of vacation days paid out, it would be wise to request them to be paid out before you get laid off?

colinxx235
11-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

So if you know you are getting laid off, and you will have a lot of vacation days paid out, it would be wise to request them to be paid out before you get laid off?

Well it is kind of tough, depends on work and if you will know I guess. Also if they either let you get them paid out or take them (which most probably won't). Mine was a quick blind side because of how many clients cancelled projects in a matter of two weeks over xmas holidays. I knew it wasn't good but thought I would get floated a bit with other work.

It helps if you can ask them to break it up so you don't get a massive paycheck that is taxed in higher brackets. In the end it will balance but isn't a great feeling when you might need that extra cash earlier.

Sugarphreak
11-18-2015, 10:00 PM

flipstah
11-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Do you know how they found out if you don't mind me asking

They run a flight check on you routinely while or if applying for EI so don't lie.

I remember that when I filled out the form.

Also to figure out when you're eligible for EI if you got a package, apply and they'll say when you're eligible due to reported income by your former employer.

I applied the moment I got the walking papers and found out I wasn't eligible after ~2 weeks haha.

J.M.
11-18-2015, 11:53 PM
If you get selected for the information session, you're also suppose to bring a list of places you've been applying to IIRC.

ExtraSlow
12-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Hey, here's a question, if you are receiving EI benefits, and would like to start a business, but you predict that business will have zero income for a certain start-up period, how does that change your answer to the "did you do any work, paid or unpaid" questions?
I don't think it matters if it's an incorporated business or a sole proprietorship, but maybe that also does?
Let's assume if it was incorporated, you were the sole shareholder, director and worker. Just a one-man show.

EDIT: seems like it should be spelled out on this web page, but I'm still somewhat confused. http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/self_employed.shtml

250and3
12-15-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you start a business, you then count as "self employed" and not "unemployed, regardless of the revenue or profitability of the business. If you are "self-employed" then you are not eligible to receive EI benefits. That's how I read the rules on the service Canada website.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/self_employed.shtml

There is some kind of "working while on claim" thing, but I don't understand that.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/wwc.shtml

Two questions I don't know the answer to are:
a) would service caada even know that you started a business?
and b) would they give you advice about this situation if you phoned them that wouldn't require you identifying yourself and putting your claim in jeopardy?

Any of the other EI experts on here have experience with this question?

nzwasp
12-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Hey, here's a question, if you are receiving EI benefits, and would like to start a business, but you predict that business will have zero income for a certain start-up period, how does that change your answer to the "did you do any work, paid or unpaid" questions?
I don't think it matters if it's an incorporated business or a sole proprietorship, but maybe that also does?
Let's assume if it was incorporated, you were the sole shareholder, director and worker. Just a one-man show.

EDIT: seems like it should be spelled out on this web page, but I'm still somewhat confused. http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/self_employed.shtml

I already filed my EI 4 weeks ago but I still have 6 weeks left before they would start paying me, in that time I incorporated and started working. The EI agent said to just stop filing reports (or in my case since i didnt do that, never file them) and then if the money dried up from contracting I can just file for EI again which will reactivate the claim and I can use it again since its already approved in their system - no new ROE required.

ExtraSlow
12-15-2015, 05:02 PM

I already filed my EI 4 weeks ago but I still have 6 weeks left before they would start paying me, in that time I incorporated and started working. The EI agent said to just stop filing reports (or in my case since i didnt do that, never file them) and then if the money dried up from contracting I can just file for EI again which will reactivate the claim and I can use it again since its already approved in their system - no new ROE required.
What if you have incorporated, and are putting effort into the business, but you haven't generated any revenue/sales/profit/billable hours?

nzwasp
12-15-2015, 05:06 PM
Well I would be curious to know too because even though I am not getting payments right now I am working but I am not receiving actual pay until end of Jan 2016.

I think it would be unethical to be receiving EI at the moment. And the govt prob has the same policy.

This thread my provide some additional info

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ei-wanting-start-business-741289/

ExtraSlow
12-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Well I would be curious to know too because even though I am not getting payments right now I am working but I am not receiving actual pay until end of Jan 2016. but are you working billable time for a client?

CompletelyNumb
12-15-2015, 08:43 PM
One of the EI report questions is essentially "Are you currently doing work which will be paid at a later date?".

deee_wreck
12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
One of the EI report questions is essentially "Are you currently doing work which will be paid at a later date?".

So if you are not getting paid later than your ok??

Example: volunteer work, or "pro bono" work

deee_wreck
12-17-2015, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by 250and3

There is some kind of "working while on claim" thing, but I don't understand that.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/information/wwc.shtml

Two questions I don't know the answer to are:
a) would service caada even know that you started a business?
and b) would they give you advice about this situation if you phoned them that wouldn't require you identifying yourself and putting your claim in jeopardy?

Any of the other EI experts on here have experience with this question?

A)
If you start a business you link your SIN number to GST collection so I would guess yes, they can dig into it. But question is do they?

B)
You could ask "hypothetical" questions and see what answers they give just don't disclose who you are. Maybe best to ask a prof accountant ?
They may have previously had clients in same situation ?

nzwasp
12-17-2015, 04:29 PM
I am doing billable work in my situation, but are you Extraslow because if you are just ramping up your business it sounds non billable and further more that no revenue is being generated.

ExtraSlow
12-17-2015, 05:00 PM
In my case, that's correct, no billable work, no revenue, and not even currently anything that will be billable in the future. I'm doing business setup work currently.

I do plan to ask Service Canada about this, but I could see them considering me "not available for work" since I'm busy doing this other work. I'm not big on fraud either, so I don't plan on lying about my situation.

C_Dave45
12-17-2015, 06:57 PM
The second they consider you "self employed" your benefits will stop. Doesn't matter if you're making any money, or even getting paid at all. Self-employed=no benefits.

I was on it one time and after a month or so they sent me a questionaire. One of the questions was "do you control your working times?".
I answered honestly "yes". I wasn't working and was reporting no income. When I WAS working my boss would tell me where the job was and go do it, but was up to me to determine what time, what day, etc etc. The second they saw that "yes"...."UH! SELF EMPLOYED! And by the way...because you're self employed you owe us the money we've paid you already".

Yes I opened up a dispute, and their decision was still upheld, even though I explained why I answered like that.

ExtraSlow
12-22-2015, 05:00 PM
So, I have been attempting to answer my question about starting a business while receiving EI.

I should warn that this appears to be a very individualized process, and that my situation may be different than yours. I can only tell how it is working for me.

1) I attempted to get my answers in person from the Service Canada staff at the Harry hays building downtown. they told me to use the 1-800 number and do the 0-1-0-1-0-1-0 . . . trick until I was placed in the queue. The Gentleman there was very friendly, but unable to be helpful.

2) I called the 1-800 number and did that trick for about ten solid minutes before being put into the queue. The announcement told me it would be approx 45 minutes to wait. It was actually less, around 30 minutes.

3) First agent was happy to answer my questions on a hypothetical basis without any identification, however, it soon became apparent that this wasn't going to get me the answers I needed. So we went through some identity verification, and he assisted me in verbally filling out a form declaring myself to be self employed. If you google "Self employment form" you may be able to find it. The agent was quite helpful with the answers as well. I had several questions for him on some of them, maybe I'm slow? :dunno: Keep in mind, he's not able to technically advise you on how to strategically fill out that form, but he can give examples or respond to examples. He did need to place me on hold a couple of times, which slowed everything down. Anyway, he was helpful, which was nice.

4) he needed to transfer me to a second agent, to make a determination. I guess that agent is a specialist in self employment issues? That agent had a small number of additional questions, and then placed me on hold while she worked.

5) the second agent said my specific situation was "outside her authority" and had to transfer me to a third agent. That agent verified some of the previous information and told me that they would be able to make a determination on my case immediately. I was then placed on hold for another 15 minutes.

6) the third agent determined that in my case, my self employment is "minor in extent" and thus, I DO qualify to continue receiving EI while being self employed. I am required to report any earnings and hours worked on my regular reports.

7) the same third agent took my current report over the phone so that I would not have to do it online for this reporting period. Honestly, I think I'd prefer to do it online, but she seemed to think that was the best plan.

8) all done. Total time on the phone call was One hours and Fifty One Minutes. Overall, I was impressed with the helpfullness of the people I spoke to, but I'm not that impressed with the process. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but clearly something is pretty messed up with the system.

Anyway, my advice for anyone who might be in a self employment situation is to take the time to get in touch with the people on the phone. DON'T just click the box on the weekly reports and hope for the best.

I guess if anyone has any questions about this, I can try to answer them, although I am no kind of expert, and I wasn't able to find any other useful informational resources online.

Happy Tuesday and :goflames:

RealJimmyJames
01-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
The second they consider you "self employed" your benefits will stop. Doesn't matter if you're making any money, or even getting paid at all. Self-employed=no benefits.

So, I have been attempting to answer my question about starting a business while receiving EI.

I should warn that this appears to be a very individualized process, and that my situation may be different than yours. I can only tell how it is working for me.

1) I attempted to get my answers in person from the Service Canada staff at the Harry hays building downtown. they told me to use the 1-800 number and do the 0-1-0-1-0-1-0 . . . trick until I was placed in the queue. The Gentleman there was very friendly, but unable to be helpful.

2) I called the 1-800 number and did that trick for about ten solid minutes before being put into the queue. The announcement told me it would be approx 45 minutes to wait. It was actually less, around 30 minutes.

3) First agent was happy to answer my questions on a hypothetical basis without any identification, however, it soon became apparent that this wasn't going to get me the answers I needed. So we went through some identity verification, and he assisted me in verbally filling out a form declaring myself to be self employed. If you google "Self employment form" you may be able to find it. The agent was quite helpful with the answers as well. I had several questions for him on some of them, maybe I'm slow? :dunno: Keep in mind, he's not able to technically advise you on how to strategically fill out that form, but he can give examples or respond to examples. He did need to place me on hold a couple of times, which slowed everything down. Anyway, he was helpful, which was nice.

4) he needed to transfer me to a second agent, to make a determination. I guess that agent is a specialist in self employment issues? That agent had a small number of additional questions, and then placed me on hold while she worked.

5) the second agent said my specific situation was "outside her authority" and had to transfer me to a third agent. That agent verified some of the previous information and told me that they would be able to make a determination on my case immediately. I was then placed on hold for another 15 minutes.

6) the third agent determined that in my case, my self employment is "minor in extent" and thus, I DO qualify to continue receiving EI while being self employed. I am required to report any earnings and hours worked on my regular reports.

7) the same third agent took my current report over the phone so that I would not have to do it online for this reporting period. Honestly, I think I'd prefer to do it online, but she seemed to think that was the best plan.

8) all done. Total time on the phone call was One hours and Fifty One Minutes. Overall, I was impressed with the helpfullness of the people I spoke to, but I'm not that impressed with the process. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but clearly something is pretty messed up with the system.

Anyway, my advice for anyone who might be in a self employment situation is to take the time to get in touch with the people on the phone. DON'T just click the box on the weekly reports and hope for the best.

I guess if anyone has any questions about this, I can try to answer them, although I am no kind of expert, and I wasn't able to find any other useful informational resources online.
I suspect that for most people who are currently receiving EI benefits, and who decide to start a business, their experience will look a lot more like the one described by C_Dave45 than ExtraSlow. I think it's pretty unusual for them to consider anything "minor in extent" regardless of the amount earned, even if that amount is zero.

One way to look at it is that Employment Insurance is available only if you are ready and available to start a full time job immediately and currently searching for full time work. If your unpaid work would interfere with that, you are not eligible.

Boosted131
01-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Anyone having issues with their benefits? Mine says mine are no longer active, and they didn't start til March or April 2015

colinxx235
01-04-2016, 05:05 PM
^

you only get around 36-39 weeks at maximum. it shows in your home center how many weeks/amount/end date etc. given you started march/april it would have ended right about meow

Boosted131
01-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Really? My friend got 54 weeks before

Xtrema
01-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Really? My friend got 54 weeks before

Only if she's prego or he/she is from PEI.

AB it's mostly 36 weeks because our unemployment rate isn't that bad.

Maximum is still set at 45, regardless how shitty your province's economy is.

C_Dave45
01-04-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames

I suspect that for most people who are currently receiving EI benefits, and who decide to start a business, their experience will look a lot more like the one described by C_Dave45 than ExtraSlow. I think it's pretty unusual for them to consider anything "minor in extent" regardless of the amount earned, even if that amount is zero.

x2

I'm curious to find out if the "powers that be" will continue to consider Extra's self employment is "minor in extent" and give full benefits.
My experience with gov't workers advising you about stuff over the phone, especially when it seems they don't really KNOW the correct answer, that all of a sudden the story will change, and the NEXT person in authority you are talking to will say something along the lines of "Oh I don't know why she would tell you THAT...that's completely wrong".

I experienced this when trying to find answers about bus passes and AISH recipients. I talked to two or three "customer service reps" that said things like "well I don't SEE why that would be a problem....oh I would IMAGINE that is the case" etc, etc, but none could give me any printed matter to solidify the point.

But good luck, Slow...keep us updated if there's any change.

Boosted131
01-06-2016, 01:07 AM

Only if she's prego or he/she is from PEI.

AB it's mostly 36 weeks because our unemployment rate isn't that bad.

Maximum is still set at 45, regardless how shitty your province's economy is. I guess you're right. Looks like I really need a job asap now :banghead:

ExtraSlow
01-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Dave, I don't just have their verbal confirmation, they have sent me a letter confirming that my EI Claim has been allowed in light of my self employment details. I still need to report any hours worked and any net earnings every two weeks.

I am not qualified to go into all the details here, but I suspect that most types of self employment would disqualify an EI claim. My situation may be unique.
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

phreezee
01-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Relevant story:
Unemployed Calgary oil and gas worker hopes for an extension in EI benefits

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/unemployed-calgary-oil-and-gas-worker-hopes-for-ei-extension-1.3404942

C_Dave45
01-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Dave, I don't just have their verbal confirmation, they have sent me a letter confirming that my EI Claim has been allowed in light of my self employment details. I still need to report any hours worked and any net earnings every two weeks.

I am not qualified to go into all the details here, but I suspect that most types of self employment would disqualify an EI claim. My situation may be unique.
:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
Sorry I missed this. That's great. Hold onto that letter.

I have an email from CoC saying that my RV was completely legal being parked in my driveway, even though I think they're actually "wrong"...but I held onto it anyways and kept my RV parked where it was.
Of course now that it went up in flames and our new one is 3 feet longer, we had to store it elsewhere. Dammit.

nzwasp
01-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Relevant story:
Unemployed Calgary oil and gas worker hopes for an extension in EI benefits

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/unemployed-calgary-oil-and-gas-worker-hopes-for-ei-extension-1.3404942

Interesting, its not like EI is their last option ever, she could start cashing in some unlocked RRSP's - i mean shit to do but if you cant afford your mortgage you might as well do. Hell getting a job as a cashier or retail is as good as EI.

nickyh
01-15-2016, 03:27 PM
^^ agreed, the problem is a lot of people don't have a plan or a safety net for when the shit gets real.
I've been on mat leave since April and I've been surprised how easy it is living on a lot less, but people don't always adjust their lifestyle.
if my job is no longer there when I return, I have a few contingency plans. One involves working at Safeway if it comes to it.

Xtrema
01-15-2016, 04:15 PM

Interesting, its not like EI is their last option ever, she could start cashing in some unlocked RRSP's - i mean shit to do but if you cant afford your mortgage you might as well do. Hell getting a job as a cashier or retail is as good as EI.

Buddy is doing 20hrs a week as stocking at Superstore until something comes along. 36 weeks of EI is already pretty good at helping you to alter your plan.

Looking at the pic in the CBC article, it's hard to have sympathy. Her kitchen is way fancier than mine. Should have sold 36 weeks ago and downsize instead of asking more handout.

I do agree that Calgary should get the maximum 45 weeks in the EI program tho, instead of 36.

Boosted131
01-18-2016, 05:28 PM
This really sucks, no EI for over a month, and still no jobs. even willing to take short contracts now. I'm in I.T and even the 2 day - 4 hour jobs I found floating around, have people with 30 years experience applying for them...

Disoblige
01-18-2016, 05:58 PM

Looking at the pic in the CBC article, it's hard to have sympathy. Her kitchen is way fancier than mine. Should have sold 36 weeks ago and downsize instead of asking more handout.
Good call. That is a nice kitchen!

leftwing
01-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Hopefully someone can clear this up for me:

So I was laid off Dec 10th, 2015.

My claim was started on Dec 13, 2015.

In my claim details it says that my vacation pay that was paid out upon layoff covers from Dec 13 - Jan 2 2016. So I didn't get paid during that time which sucks and I don't agree with but whatever.

I filled out my last report for the period of Jan 3 - Jan 16, 2016, It got processed today and says no benefits will be paid because 'this is a week of your waiting period where no benefits are payable'.

When will I get paid? Do I have to wait until after next reporting period (Jan 17 - Jan 29) and I will get paid for all of: Jan 3 - Jan 29? Or do I simply just not get paid for the period of Jan 3 - Jan 16?

Dealing with EI freaking sucks.

On a side note, my question earlier in the thread asking that "if I know when I am going to be laid off should I get vacation paid out beforehand?", well yeah fuck I should have. I got a letter from EI and they acted like they were doing me a favour by delaying my claim until after my vacation pay runs out. No, just gimme my EI!

pheoxs
01-18-2016, 09:58 PM
You don't get paid for 2 weeks between the end of employment and start of EI (end of the BS with vacation days I guess).

So you'd start getting paid EI Jan 17th onward

ExtraSlow
01-18-2016, 10:53 PM
Yes, they treat vacation payouts the same as severance. It sucks for someone who sacrifices for the good of the company before being laid off.

theken
01-19-2016, 12:00 AM
how do they cover seasonal employees with loss of hours? I saved up about 2 months pay this year and i have only been working a few odd hours here and there, do they cover the difference in the $544? say i work 10 hours and make 380 bucks, do they just top up to the 544?

nzwasp
01-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
This really sucks, no EI for over a month, and still no jobs. even willing to take short contracts now. I'm in I.T and even the 2 day - 4 hour jobs I found floating around, have people with 30 years experience applying for them...

What Facet of IT?

Applying on linkedin might be a better idea - atleast that way you can see how many other people applied for the job.

RealJimmyJames
01-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Here's a question, if you are on EI, and work a temporary position, say for one week, and that position pays well so you don't get your benefits for that one week, does that extend your benefits on the end, or do you just loose that week of eligibility?

nickyh
01-24-2016, 10:58 AM
You would lose your week I'm pretty sure, your claim will have a start date and an end date.

msommers
01-24-2016, 02:50 PM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calls-grow-for-ei-improvements-as-alberta-jobless-ranks-increase

RealJimmyJames
01-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
You would lose your week I'm pretty sure, your claim will have a start date and an end date. So pretty strong disincentive to being productive while on an EI claim.

nickyh
01-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Lol, pretty much; otherwise I could see people being on it indefinitely if they had a week or two of work here and there to stretch out the claim

Boosted131
01-25-2016, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by msommers
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calls-grow-for-ei-improvements-as-alberta-jobless-ranks-increase I could really use this extension. Cut off mid December and now gotta sell stuff to pay bills

CompletelyNumb
01-25-2016, 11:47 AM
I think EI should work like a personal savings. You can draw as much as you put in. Government can collect the interest.

I'm just bitter I paid in for 10 years and don't get to collect. Could be worse, I know guys who paid in for 30 years and also don't get to collect.

Boosted131
01-25-2016, 02:17 PM
I'd rather pay in for 30 years and never collect . That means job security at least.

blitz
01-25-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm just bitter I paid in for 10 years and don't get to collect.

So you want to be jobless?

Disoblige
01-25-2016, 02:26 PM
A better statement probably would be, "EI should be optional."

I would opt out in a heartbeat. Fucking hate contributing to EI.

Euro838
01-25-2016, 02:45 PM
^^ Well that would negate the "I" part of it. It only works if a lot of people pay into it and only some actually gets to use it.

If EI worked more like a defined contribution model like what CompletelyNumb is suggesting, then even with 10 years of contributions, would only provide you with about $8-9000 to live off of. Whereas if you contributed for 10 years then collected under the current model, you'd probably get more than double that amount if you collected for the maximum 40 weeks in Calgary.

Its definitely far from a perfect system that addresses everyone's needs but it does work.

GotRice?
01-25-2016, 03:46 PM
Hmm, anyone go into real estate or mortgage associate after being laid off? After looking at the site it looks like the EI claim would end since you are no longer unemployed(you are considered self-employed). But at what point would your claim end? As soon as you open the business? I dont see me making any money in the next 3-6 months but just wondering if anyone has gone through something similar. Thanks

Xtrema
01-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
A better statement probably would be, "EI should be optional."

I would opt out in a heartbeat. Fucking hate contributing to EI.

It is if you are self employed.

1RaZoR1
02-10-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm in the process of claiming ei and have completed the first 2 weeks reporting period. My question is, I have some GIC maturing at the end of the month and looking to cash them out , will that effect my ei ?. Will they look at that as income and have that money taxed?. Also when you do your taxes what will happen to my refund?

chathamf
02-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Anyone on here familiar with the appeals process? I've got a pretty strong argument for quitting a job (this was back in the summer) and would like someone to consult about the process.

nzwasp
02-10-2016, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 1RaZoR1
I'm in the process of claiming ei and have completed the first 2 weeks reporting period. My question is, I have some GIC maturing at the end of the month and looking to cash them out , will that effect my ei ?. Will they look at that as income and have that money taxed?. Also when you do your taxes what will happen to my refund?

I wouldn't think withdrawing from investments would have any affect on your EI, I wouldn't even consider it income since it was already mine.

In regards to your refund they will send you a special T4 that includes your EI income on it which you then use in your tax return for next year.

eblend
02-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Hey guys, quick question about this. My mom just got laid off and got a severance package of about 30k. Can she apply now, or is there some sort of calculation for the fact that she got some money paid out before she can claim EI?

Also, about 4 month ago, mom's company was doing the work sharing program where she was getting some EI payment from the government, so she already has an account for EI all setup. This stopped and she was back to full time since then. Is the process any different for her, does she need to apply from scratch again or does she just need to somehow update her current account?

Sugarphreak
02-10-2016, 08:42 PM

ExtraSlow
02-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Only thing I can say for sure is she cannot wait to apply. The other questions she should call about.