PDA

View Full Version : Do recreational sports leagues report to a board?

Mar
10-15-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm wondering if there is any sort of regulatory commission you would need to get approval from to start a league. I'm having some issues with a current league and I was wondering if there was some sort of board above them that I could complain to, or if they are their own government.

rage2
10-15-2015, 10:37 AM
Come on Mar, give us some details on the issues you're having. Don't leave us hanging here!

vengie
10-15-2015, 10:40 AM
In for Mar thread.

G-ZUS
10-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Come on Mar, give us some details on the issues you're having. Don't leave us hanging here!

Originally posted by vengie
In for Mar thread.

Mar didn't get picked for his favourite team :(

eglove
10-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Here we go again

ExtraSlow
10-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Any group can rent fields from the city for sports like soccer, softball etc, and it's not that hard to rent Gym space for things like dodgeball etc.

Biggest problem starting your own league is getting enough players and teams to make a decent league.

I would say every league probably is structured differently, so depending on which one you are talking about, they may or may not have a board, or a formal dispute resolution process.

But please, tell us the story. I'm 100% sure it's hilarious, and could be educational to the rest of us.

Mar
10-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Sorry to say, this one isn't that interesting. I play a lot of sports and I think the league management is garbage, someone's going to get seriously hurt and they're not going to give a shit. I was wondering if a fine might be possible but not if they get to do what they please without answering to any sort of board. I'll just have to find another league.

Since that wasn't that interesting maybe I could interest you in what the mail man brought me yesterday:

More Transformers! :clap:

http://www.summitsoftware.ca/pictures/104.jpg

killramos
10-16-2015, 07:31 AM
OH you are one of those people in rec leagues.

Yea I highly recommend you find yourself a new league.

FullFledgedYYC
10-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Sorry to say, this one isn't that interesting. I play a lot of sports and I think the league management is garbage, someone's going to get seriously hurt and they're not going to give a shit.

Yes, you're probably right, someone will eventually get hurt. It's a sport, injuries happen, everyone knows that going in.

G-ZUS
10-16-2015, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by killramos
OH you are one of those people in rec leagues.

Yea I highly recommend you find yourself a new league.

He should find himself a new sport such as curling, figure skating, gymnastics, swimming, tennis, softball, speed skating, darts, bowling, horse shoes, diving, shopping and talking on the phone

Cos
10-16-2015, 07:58 AM

FullFledgedYYC
10-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

He should find himself a new sport such as curling, figure skating, gymnastics, swimming, tennis, softball, speed skating, darts, bowling, horse shoes, diving, shopping and talking on the phone

People have broken ankles in figure skating, gymnastics... paralysis from landing on head, tennis has tons of ankle injuries, softball I personally seen someone get teeth knocked out..... Perhaps that bubble soccer?

dandia89
10-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Cos
- Mar plays with CSSC or whatever group he plays with.
- Someone gets hurt.
- Mar is mad at league for not doing anything.
- Mar makes new league
- Someone playing in new league hurts himself
- Turns into a PITA for Mar, it is sports come on you might get hurt
- Mar creates thread complaining about stupid people not understanding the risks of playing in a league.

Almost as predicable as my new car threads!

CSSC has the most garbage field/facilities i've ever seen. not surprised people like Mar don't complain more.

Cos
10-16-2015, 08:10 AM

dandia89
10-16-2015, 08:20 AM
i played in all flag football divisions, and they are either on the edge of the city (still shitty fields), or complete garbage fields in forest lawn. I'm pretty sure they have a wide selection for football/ultimate frisbee, but they chooses the cheapest (least maintained) to save a buck. that's when you get plenty of injuries.

Cos
10-16-2015, 08:31 AM

colinxx235
10-16-2015, 08:36 AM
CSSC is a pretty brutal league. I did my best to leave it in any sport I could, most other leagues are less fees, better run, less "spirit" rules/bs and often better facilities...

But without Mar giving some explanation doesn't help much. Sport injuries happen, unless it is gross negligence on those maintaining the facility/field shouldn't even be brought up.

mr2mike
10-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Sounds like you could tweet your complaint to Nenshi and I feel this is something he would care about enough to retweet.

Mar, I suggest:
-Train more, bitch less. Muscle prevents injury.
-Lead with your non-dominant shoulder
-Wear a mouthguard

dandia89
10-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Cos

That is strange, I played flag football (don't remember the level anymore) for CSSC in 2008/2009 and we got to play at the UofC fields a couple times. :dunno:

i played from 2009-2013. i remember we had a couple games at the rugby field in the NE, which was solid. but then the field selection became so brutal towards the end. it's not the reason i quit CSSC football, but it definitely didn't help.

the basketball leagues were so hit and miss. some years we'd be playing in garbage elementary schools where the net was obviously broken, but then some years we'd play at talisman.

Mar
10-16-2015, 12:24 PM
No injuries yet, I was just worried about the future. That's why there isn't a funny story, nothing has happened yet.

killramos
10-16-2015, 12:39 PM
Benefit of public healthcare. Play all you want and if you get hurt the rest of us will pay for it.

:thumbsup:

sexualbanana
10-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Benefit of public healthcare. Play all you want and if you get hurt the rest of us will pay for it.

:thumbsup:

Don't start that shit.

sexualbanana
10-16-2015, 01:18 PM
I don't know if Mar's beef has to do with quality of play/quality (or lack thereof) of officiating, but that's usually my beef with all rec leagues and sports (CSSC, drop-in, etc). It's just an unfortunate mix of player experience and lack of structured officiating that tends to lead to the inevitable dust-up.

I played in a couple CSSC basketball leagues years ago, but found I was far more likely to get hurt playing in that league than in some of the other leagues I've played in with players that have professional or high-level experience. That's due to the fact that many new players (new to the game, I mean) tend to do things that they don't realize can cause serious injury, such as stepping under jump shooters.

Add in the lack of officiating in those kinds of leagues, and the players never learn that what they're doing is wrong until they've pissed off someone enough that it becomes a highly-charged confrontation. I've seen it happen lots in rec leagues (moreso than competitive leagues), and it's just one of those inevitable things when you mix the two things together.

Now that I've gotten older and given up my NBA dreams (just recently), rec leagues are fine so long as I change my mindset that I'm just there to get a run in and play around. Now that I'm able to make that shift, I like playing CSSC games for the most part.

colinxx235
10-17-2015, 09:04 AM
^

yup, it is funny that at a higher competition level you are less likely to get hurt. CSSC subbing for an intermediate volley ball is how I sprained my ankle. Guy on other team panicked during me going for a spike at center and tucked in under the net onto our side with his feet right as I landed. That was quite the recovery time...

Cos
10-17-2015, 07:27 PM

mr2mike
10-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Rec. hockey is the same. I dread moving down divisions as my team gets older. Harder and harder to compete with the younger AA players who are done their careers. But way less likely to get injured. That being said, if you do get injured it's going to be serious but a total accident. Stick lifts are more aggressive, shots are that much harder and guys are quicker. But the cheap shots don't usually exist because if you're that kind of player, you usually get what's coming to you via an open ice hit or caught with your head down.