PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a drone willing to help me get some footage?

GorG
10-16-2015, 11:25 AM
I need to do a site analysis for school and want to grab some drone footage to add to my video presentation, I've attached the area and the kind of shots I'm looking for. Just want to get about 5-10 minutes of raw footage, preferably in 1080p @ 60fps. I would prefer to get this done before Monday if possible. I'm a student so pretty broke but I'm willing to give you a little bit of compensation for your time. Thanks in advance.

lilmira
10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
balloons, lawn chair and cellphone

GorG
10-16-2015, 11:49 AM
^:rofl:

mazdavirgin
10-16-2015, 02:37 PM
:dunno: Great plan posting a request for a flight path that is illegal. You're going to be flying right next to the downtown heliport. :nut: Not to mention the other numerous violations for flying around in that area.

gwill
10-16-2015, 03:00 PM
What makes this illegal? Drones are constantly flown everywhere.. I would assume he doesn't need to get that high for his project....

eglove
10-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by gwill
What makes this illegal? Drones are constantly flown everywhere.. I would assume he doesn't need to get that high for his project....

Pretty sure that area is no fly zone due to the helipad for downtown being there

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Pages/Traffic/Permits/Heliport-use.aspx

Helipad location:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3Q8W_Downtown_Helipad_Calgary_Alberta

GorG
10-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Looked up the restrictions. Regulations seem pretty lax until 2017 when a canada wide bylaw for citizen UAV use is introduced. Current restrictions include no flying over large groups of people, sporting events, over buildings, limited to 90m above grade, 9km within airports. Helipad isn't considered an airport.

GorG
10-16-2015, 03:15 PM
My concern was downtown but I couldn't find any limitations on it.

revelations
10-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by GorG
Helipad isn't considered an airport.

Incorrect. It is considered, and listed, as an Aerodrome by NAV Canada.

However, the chances of an arrival/departure at that particular aerodrome is limited. Its just has a wind sock, fencing and lights.

mazdavirgin
10-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by GorG
Looked up the restrictions. Regulations seem pretty lax until 2017 when a canada wide bylaw for citizen UAV use is introduced. Current restrictions include no flying over large groups of people, sporting events, over buildings, limited to 90m above grade, 9km within airports. Helipad isn't considered an airport.

Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome.

Reading comprehension fail? That's right from transport Canada.

Downtown is also considered a populated area and you will be closer than 150m to people animals, buildings, structures and vehicles.

The list of violations goes on and on.

gwill
10-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Reading comprehension fail? That's right from transport Canada.

Downtown is also considered a populated area and you will be closer than 150m to people animals, buildings, structures and vehicles.

The list of violations goes on and on.

Drones are used everywhere in the cities so i think you are misinterpreting what your reading. For example Realtors use them on a daily basis. Construction companies use them for progress shots...

Anywhere with a person living there would be considered a populated area.

Overall the rules are very lax as others pointed out. This is why i asked for specifics from anyone as they are used everywhere. Heck i was sitting in my hot tub the other night when i saw one so high up i thought it was a helicopter or a plane at first.

GorG
10-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Don’t fly:
Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome.

Higher than 90 metres from above the ground.

Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.

In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.

Near moving vehicles, avoid highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.

Within restricted airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.

Anywhere you may interfere with first responders

Thanks for the claification, I think it was more to do with selective reading or I was refrencing an older article. Guess that kind of kills my idea.

mazdavirgin
10-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Drones are used everywhere in the cities so i think you are misinterpreting what your reading. For example Realtors use them on a daily basis. Construction companies use them for progress shots...

Overall the rules are very lax as others pointed out. This is why i asked for specifics from anyone as they are used everywhere. Heck i was sitting in my hot tub the other night when i saw one so high up i thought it was a helicopter or a plane at first.

No... Operation of drones in all those instances is illegal. You can call up transport Canada and complain but the law is the law. We can argue it's unreasonable all day but you have to recall the model airplane guys comply with these rules and have for years. Why do you think the rules would be relaxed for drones?

What's happening right now is a whole bunch of people are operating their drones illegally and violating the rules. Posting about it and requesting help to do something illegal is probably not a great idea on a public forum.

eglove
10-16-2015, 04:59 PM

Go fly your drone there in person and find out for us whether or not the rules are lax. Good experiement for all of us

Cos
10-16-2015, 05:35 PM

gwill
10-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

No... Operation of drones in all those instances is illegal. You can call up transport Canada and complain but the law is the law. We can argue it's unreasonable all day but you have to recall the model airplane guys comply with these rules and have for years. Why do you think the rules would be relaxed for drones?

What's happening right now is a whole bunch of people are operating their drones illegally and violating the rules. Posting about it and requesting help to do something illegal is probably not a great idea on a public forum.

Sorry but your a fuc**** moron. There are numerous realtors with licenses to fly drones around for their listings. They need to carry liability in case of a crash and have a license to operate it for commercial purposes. It wouldn't be any different for the construction companies using them as well.

It's not as illegal as you think it is... But thanks.

GorG
10-16-2015, 07:10 PM
I think it’s more hazy than mazdavirgin makes it out to be, if anyone does have a drone and is willing to help me out just PM me.

My understanding is that most of the requirements from transportation Canada are loosely enforced, I have seen people use drones in public places or near residential locations countless times. I'm sure bylaw/cps have better things to do than patrol the skies for UAVs, especially since they are only guidelines at the moment. The only time I could see it being an issue is if someone formally made a complaint about the activity.

Also I looked into specific no fly zones for drones and for the city it’s just the Calgary Airport. Higher end units that use GPS tracking actually have this data built into their OS. This prevents the drone from entering restricted airspace. There's also work being done in terms of a registry where you could enter your address which manufactures can incorporate into their software to maintain individual privacy.

[url=]https://www.noflyzone.org/ (]http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc[/url)

Posting about it and requesting help to do something illegal is probably not a great idea on a public forum.
I don't own one nor do I plan to because I would never put enough hours on it to justify the cost of a drone. Therefore I don't really need to concern myself with what is and isn't legal in terms of its operation; seems simple enough to me. I can't actually believe I wasted as much time as I did today looking into it as a response to your earlier comments. Anyways, I'm sure that someone who actually owns a drone and is willing to help knows what they can and can't get away with in terms of the legality of drone operation. Unless you’re a lawyer who specializes in this field or have personal experience flying drones your comments are irrelevant to me.

mazdavirgin
10-16-2015, 11:01 PM

Sorry but your a fuc**** moron. There are numerous realtors with licenses to fly drones around for their listings. They need to carry liability in case of a crash and have a license to operate it for commercial purposes. It wouldn't be any different for the construction companies using them as well.

It's not as illegal as you think it is... But thanks.

They are real estate agents... You really think they are smart enough to carry liability insurance for flying a drone? :facepalm: No wait please show me a policy that covers flying a drone where it's illegal in the first place.

FYI there is no such thing as a license to fly your drone in the city. Unless you file a specific flight plan with transport Canada and get an exemption. It's AMPLY clear that pretty much anywhere in the city is within 9kms of a heliport/airport. Take it up with transport Canada but don't lie to yourself and think it's not fully illegal to fly within city limits.

It's like you guys all can't read. Do you think those rules are just for shit and giggles on transport Canada's website? You're welcome to flaunt them if you so choose but you should be under no illusion it's straight up illegal and if they chose to they could very well throw the book at you.

Just for the thick skulled people:
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/27/montrealer-fined-1000-fine-for-flying-drone

Gramigna, a photographer, received the fine from Transport Canada while using the drone to take photos of a house for a real estate agent last summer.

Guess those real estate agents aren't so clever?

gwill
10-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Dear mr virgin:

A quick google search discusses the topics of commercial use for drones. Here's a quick snapshot for you.

"What is clear is that flying a drone for commercial reasons is regulated by Transport Canada and requires what’s called a Special Flight Operations Certificate." What's this a certificate otherwise known as a license??

http://calgaryherald.com/technology/tech-you/how-to-legally-fly-a-drone-in-canada

But yeah realtor's can't use them nor can construction companies. You're an idiot.. at least i came here saying I am not familiar with the rules. You just look like a jack ass know it all that doesn't know shit.

I am sure you'll edit your post soon enough so you don't look as stupid.

speedog
10-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Operating a drone is pretty much akin to all those people who take their RC vehicles, boats, helicopters and what not to any CoC public park or space - they're all doing it illegally as well. Take your RC 4x4 to play on the rocks at Harvey Passage - yup, illegal. Take your RC helicopter down to the local community park - yup, illegal as well.

Only the RC plane people are pretty much doing it legally but there's most likely a segment of that population that are using their RC planes illegally as well, regularly see a guy using public streets in Thorncloff as landing strips for his RC planes.

The drone thing will naturally die down as it evolves into a niche, novel item like most other RC stuff, all it's going to take is a bit of time.

spikerS
10-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Operating a drone is pretty much akin to all those people who take their RC vehicles, boats, helicopters and what not to any CoC public park or space - they're all doing it illegally as well. Take your RC 4x4 to play on the rocks at Harvey Passage - yup, illegal. Take your RC helicopter down to the local community park - yup, illegal as well.

Only the RC plane people are pretty much doing it legally but there's most likely a segment of that population that are using their RC planes illegally as well, regularly see a guy using public streets in Thorncloff as landing strips for his RC planes.

The drone thing will naturally die down as it evolves into a niche, novel item like most other RC stuff, all it's going to take is a bit of time.

Pretty much bang on.

My experience as an RC addict is that the city is going to leave you alone as long as you are responsible, quiet, and not doing anything stupid. The minute you start interfering with operations, or start posing a safety risk, they will come after you.

The idiots that take the drones and get close to forest fires, or get too close to airports and planes, those are the idiots. Those are the people you are seeing in the news, and those are the people that the police and whatever are going to go after.

The best explanation I got was when I was running my speed boats in Coventry, and bylaw officer stopped. He didn't stop me, and was keenly interested in the boats. I nervously asked if I was getting a ticket, and he simply said that I wasn't breaking the spirit of the law, and they were not meant for me and how I was operating. If I was running a loud gas boat, and someone filed a complaint, the conversation might have been different.

My Phantom could pretty easily perform this request, but as others have said, being that close to the heli-pad, that is asking for trouble. It is rarely used, but, Murphy always shows up at the worst possible time.

C_Dave45
10-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Thank you for putting some real-world sensibleness into this thread.
Everyone's acting like the minute you put a drone up downtown the federal aviation swat team will be down on you like a terrorist at an airport!

Good grief. And the whole "Oooo...talking about illegal activities over a public form....ZOMG!!!!!!" Meanwhile we have umpteen threads about downloading movies, smoking and growing marijuana, and how to beat dangerous driving tickets.

Drones are being flown all over the city all the time. OP...if you're still interested, throw an ad on kijiji. I know of a few guys that video all over the city with their drones.

GorG
10-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Cheers Dave, I actually just got back from site and got everything that I needed. The individual that helped me was very informed about the safety guidelines as they currently sit and what he was and wasn't willing to do. All the shots I was looking for weren't an issue, his main concern was related to the proximity of the Airport and operational height within the city.

120Comm
10-17-2015, 05:55 PM
Edit: I didn't read your final post before I replied. Congrats on getting your footage. IMO you were lucky to not be disturbed. I'm leaving my post intact for others who come across the thread.

The DJI devices supposedly have a database in them (or the app) which identifies if you're within x distance of an airport and constrains you appropriately - but it's not to the Canadian rules mentioned above. IIRC there is a conical "no fly zone" around Class A and Class B airports with the "no flying at all" limitation at 5 miles. As you go further out from the airport, the device/app will let you have a little bit of altitude at a time, until you reach an area of no restrictions.

But the DJI database - which is duplicated on its website, I think - doesn't even have Springbank in its list, let alone heliports or helipads. IIRC there are about 12 Class A airports listed in Canada and only one or two Class B (YYT is the only B I can remember).

As people have said, it would be inappropriate to fly in that area, not only for the heliport (which does get use from time to time) but the attention you'd draw, including from people with badges.

For what it's worth, about half of the downtown is inside the 5-mile (8km) radius of the international airport, depending on where you plot the airport center as (before the new runway was built, about 3/4 of downtown was inside the 5-mile zone). Not sure why TC is using 9 km for drones, since everything I've ever heard about airspace (disclaimer: not a pilot) referred to 5 miles or 8 km. But a 9 km radius almost completely covers the downtown, almost exactly ending right over the area you want (someone) to fly.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Here is a top tip. Do not fly your drone over a school when the kids are out at recess. My kids school got put into lockdown over exactly that.

hard to say if it is overkill or not. If a guy with a telephoto lens was taking pictures of the kids from the fenceline, they would be taking the kids indoors asap I suspect. Drones are nothing but flying cameras really.

Apparently they found the pilot, and have determined he mean no harm.

:hijack:

ExtraSlow
10-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Glad you got your footage and nobody was upset about it.