PDA

View Full Version : Canadian tire - patching a tire

SmAcKpOo
10-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Can anyone believe this bullshit.

I have a tire with 30% tread left that hit a nail yesterday. The nail is right in the middle of the tire. I ask them to patch it and put the tire back on and the guy says "no problem" and I leave my car there for the day.

I get a call 6 hours later stating they can't patch the tire because of "liability" reasons and that Transport Canada says they "aren't allowed".

This is a whole fucking scam to get me to buy 4 new tires since I am not going to buy 1 tire with 100% tread and have 3 with 30%.

Fucking bullshit. Is this shit for real?

revelations
10-16-2015, 01:07 PM
Get a second opinion from a different place.

Honestly I tell everyone to steer away from CT mechanics unless its very stupid basic like mounting LOOSE tires and wheels (have zero confidence in their techs to do anything else).

D'z Nutz
10-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Then go into the store, buy a tire patch kit and do it in front of them hahaha

schocker
10-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Get a second opinion from a different place.

Honestly I tell everyone to steer away from CT mechanics unless its very stupid basic like mounting LOOSE tires and wheels (have zero confidence in their techs to do anything else).
One time I had them mount my tires and the balance was all fucked up and when bomb mounted them, smooth as butter. :rofl:

Toyota Racing
10-16-2015, 01:25 PM
If your tire is 3/32nds? or less it shouldn't really be repaired... and that it is a liability issue.

jwslam
10-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by schocker
when bomb mounted them, smooth as butter. :rofl:
Who's bomb :confused:

revelations
10-16-2015, 01:39 PM
prob meant TIREBOB

quick_scar
10-16-2015, 01:55 PM
What part of the city are you in? If you want to swing by my house tomorrow I am happy to show you how to do it and gift you the materials to do so (you are repairing your own tire so I am not held responsible for anything, but will happily walk you through it)

PM for the address if interested. I am in the SW near Shawnessey area.

schocker
10-16-2015, 02:02 PM
Whoops, tirebomb lol :rofl:

Canucks3322
10-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Did it for the first time on my gfs beetle... $7 kit from Walmart worked like a charm, make hole bigger out in the tar string fill it up done.

drtoohotty1
10-16-2015, 02:29 PM
when bomb mounted them, smooth as butter. :rofl:

Whoops, tirebomb lol :rofl:

That clears it up he wasn't saying bomb he meant tirebomb :rofl:

lilmira
10-16-2015, 02:42 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55302333.jpg

D'z Nutz
10-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Hahaha I just figured "bomb mounting" them was this

85IBEWQZx3o

Blue
10-16-2015, 03:28 PM
That's what exactly happen to me when I bought in my tires to get it patched
Due to the nail. But my tires were all 90% new. They said that can't do it because
They'll hold responsibility whatever happens.

01RedDX
10-16-2015, 03:38 PM

Thaco
10-16-2015, 03:39 PM
they tried to pull the same shit on me, went in for a blowout, one of thier tires, which was in warranty, it had been run for about 6-8 months (summer only)... they tell me the warranty is very minor because the tire is 80% used... i had run it for maybe 20k, treadlife is 120k according to them.....

So either they lied about the treadlife, or they lied about the remaining tread... either way i'll never go back.. next set of tires will be from costco, they have a real warranty, and free repairs/rotations for the life of the tire.

(and it was on my wifes DD, it was not driven hard)

revelations
10-16-2015, 04:47 PM
The stories from CT could take over this thread.

The NE Marlborough store tried to charge me for Nitrogen (didnt ask for), tire recycle fee (didnt give them any old tires to throw out, they were just swapping out a set), expensive valve covers, BS tire warranty *see above post.

I saved almost 100$ in idiotic fees .... :banghead:

tirebob
10-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Tirebomb??? Lol! New name time...

BokCh0y
10-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

I believe it only because Canadian Tire.

and yes, Tirebomb is the man.

+1 for tirebomb. He took care of my sons winter tires :thumbsup:

And +1 for CT sucking nuts on the repair side of things.

Sentry
10-17-2015, 11:31 AM
OP, if the tire has been driven on flat then it's been damaged permanently.

If they took the tire off and pulled out a couple handfuls of shredded rubber, that's the only reason I could see them denying the repair.

?????
10-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Try Kal Tire. Lots of locations for convinience and they always patch for free regardless of where you previously purchases.

nobb
10-17-2015, 12:31 PM
I dont think Kal Tire does free patches anymore.

You can plug the tire yourself with the $10 kit. Comes with a patch too, which is the more proper way to do it but that requires the tire to be unmounted.

I seriously think Canadian Tire is one of the worst car repair shops. Even worse than the average quickie lube. Maybe something to do with their corporate philosophy on upselling whatever they can and hiring bottom of the barrel mechanics.

SmAcKpOo
10-19-2015, 10:39 AM
I just didn't have time to do it myself. Canadian Tire gave me the convenience of dropping it off before work, taking the train downtown, and coming back after work. I had to be across the city after work for an appointment so timing just wasn't there.

I ended up going to Raven Truck Accessories which has a OK Tire center there and they patched it for ~35$ within the hour. I was impressed.

Canadian Tire is a bunch of bullshit.

mr2mike
10-19-2015, 11:16 AM
I can't believe you guys are paying $35 to patch a tire. If the tire isn't Z rated, get a plug kit from Princess Auto and for $10 you can patch 10 tires.

Can copy and paste this in the recession savings thread too if you want. :poosie:

bulaian
10-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Yeah, $35 is crazy... I got mine fixed by Tirebomb a few months back and I think it was like $15?

tirebob
10-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Generally repairing a tire itself with a proper patch/quill repair is only $15.00, but the tire has to be taken off the wheel, reinstalled on the wheel and balanced again. Depending on the size and type of tire/wheel, $25.00 or more for the changeover and balance is a normal price.

That said, I fix my regular customers tires that buy them off of me for free...

The_Penguin
10-19-2015, 11:33 AM
I worked at an Esso station in the late 70s. My boss was a stickler for quality work.
He said NEVER just plug a tire. Patch it, or plug and patch, which was a pain, as we had to cut the plug flush on the inside, then patch. But never had one come back.

Thaco
10-20-2015, 02:44 PM
I worked at a tire shop back int he day, we used these ones, they were a bitch and we had to unmount, but they always worked first shot. only nevgative is they didn't work well if there were 2 relatively close together and the patches overlapped.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachments/2010-current-2nd-generation-watercooled/74086d1281427430-riding-plugged-scorpion-trail-tire-mushroom-plug-patch.jpg

Graham_A_M
10-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Generally repairing a tire itself with a proper patch/quill repair is only $15.00, but the tire has to be taken off the wheel, reinstalled on the wheel and balanced again. Depending on the size and type of tire/wheel, $25.00 or more for the changeover and balance is a normal price.

That said, I fix my regular customers tires that buy them off of me for free... I noticed. Lol. I hated doing the re balance as it was typically a waste of time and money. One thing I wanted to suggest was quickly mark the tire position on the rim using a chalk marker such s drawing a short line from the rim lip tp the inner side wall of the tire. From there just remove the tire, patch it and quickly reinstall it. Once the tire is lined up with the original chalk line on the rim, a quick balance check will likely be all that's needed. At least that way there is a strong likelihood that the tire will be already balanced to the original (adhesive stick-on) weights that were on the tire originally. At least that would save the time to scrape off the old weights, only to reinstall (typically identical) new ones in their place and save the time involved to perform the secondary balance check.

So let's say for a dozen tire repairs a day, quantify the amount that you'd save both in the cost of wheel weights and labor doing it that way. Over the period of a year, that would equate to a fair share of money saved potentially speaking. :)

2Legit2Quit
10-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Some Kal's will do it for free straight up, others I've had only if you bought your tires from that shop. Depends on the person or their mood I would say.

Kloubek
10-20-2015, 04:43 PM
I don't know.... I was always told the DIY plugs shouldn't be considered a permanent fix. The set I bought from Crappy Tire was even marked as such.

With that said, the kit has repaired two holes so far on my wife's car, and the tires have worn down about 40% without incident.

quick_scar
10-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Same as Kloubek. I have patched probably half a dozen nails over the last 10 years with just the standard plug kit and never had an issue with any of them.

relyt92
10-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
Some Kal's will do it for free straight up, others I've had only if you bought your tires from that shop. Depends on the person or their mood I would say. I've had 2 different Kal Tires repair flats for free when I didn't buy the tires through them. I was expecting to spend ~$20 each time but nothing.

n1zm0
10-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I don't know.... I was always told the DIY plugs shouldn't be considered a permanent fix. The set I bought from Crappy Tire was even marked as such.

With that said, the kit has repaired two holes so far on my wife's car, and the tires have worn down about 40% without incident.

I've also always just used these, even at the dealership we used to use this type as well as the dismount and plug from the inside type. The former I have had in one winter tire on an older winter beater for the majority of its life and it held up fine through 4 winters.

G-ZUS
10-21-2015, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit
Some Kal's will do it for free straight up, others I've had only if you bought your tires from that shop. Depends on the person or their mood I would say.

I've had the Chinook center Kal Tire repair a tire for free, said the first one was free but next time they''ll charge me :dunno:

rx7_turbo2
10-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by relyt92
I've had 2 different Kal Tires repair flats for free when I didn't buy the tires through them. I was expecting to spend ~$20 each time but nothing.

I've had multiple felts repaired for free from Kal Tire. The always say they'll fix the flat for free if they can go over the rest of the vehicle and do an estimate for any further repairs they might find. I've never taken them up on any of the recommended repairs but lots probably do. Good little tool for drumming up business.

Lex350
10-21-2015, 10:37 AM
OK...I thought everybody knew not to take their vehicle to Canadian Tire.....for anything!

SmAcKpOo
10-21-2015, 10:46 AM
I honestly didn't think patching a tire was a big deal to them. The only reason I went there was because it was convenient with the train station close by.

revelations
10-21-2015, 11:20 AM
As far as plugs and safety, I've done a few motorcycle tires in order to get through a season.

Its all in the prep work and not being rushed. Never had issues.

Seth1968
10-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Teach your kids:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE.

Teach them VESTED INTEREST.

Teach them to QUESTION EVERYTHING despite conventional manner.

Yes, even teach (or learn together) how to fix the proverbial "flat tire".

01RedDX
10-21-2015, 11:55 AM

Seth1968
10-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

OK, thanks.

You're welcome.

Now what comes to mind? Yx=%x-#=you're fucked.

Too bad the educational system doesn't teach anything PRACTICAL. For example, what to do with a flat tire on your vehicle, or financial budgeting, etc.

Now back to how to fix that flat.

tirebob
10-21-2015, 12:45 PM
I just want to comment on plugs as there is a lot of chatter here about them...

First off, plug repairs are not inherently dangerous as far as repairs go. There are a couple issues that need to be considered though when it comes to safely repairing a tire with a plug. The major consideration is that the vast majority of the time when a plug is being used, the tire has not been removed from the wheel and inspected to ensure that internally the tire has not been damaged further than the hole being repaired, and this occurs commonly when, for example, the nail went into the tire through the tread, but it was long enough or on enough of an angle that the nail dug in and grated at the inside of the tire sidewall and caused damage that could easily cause a blow out later while driving. The most common issue is that often a tire driven on quite a while low on air before realizing there was a puncture, and this commonly causes the inside liner of the tire to get damaged and shredded and compromises the internal structural integrity of the tire making it unsafe.

So this all said, if the tire is removed and determined to be safe to repair, plugging a tire is not bad to do, but if the tire is already off, you are much better to also have the tire patched from the inside. This sort of leads into another common issue with the "plug only" type repair...

Again, it isn't like the plug is dangerous and just going to blow out of the tire (assuming it was fixed properly and not stuffed into much to big of a hole or cut etc). The most common issue is that over time and use, the steel belts etc will grate on the plug, or the plug simply hardens and doesn't remain quite as stuck, and the repair can start to develop a slow leak. Assuming you catch this, no big deal and you can then take the tire apart, clip the plug and patch it from the inside, but really with a proper repair this becomes a complete non-issue.

The ideal way to fix a tire is to both plug and patch the tire together, which ideally uses what we call a quill repair where the plug and patch are built as a solid one piece repair and done from the inside of the tire with the plug portion pulled through to the outside of the tire. You get the benefit of the tire liner being sealed from the inside as well as the hole being plugged so contamination does not enter into the casing structure from the outside rotting cords etc, which overall extends the life of you tire repair, generally outliving the tire itself.

I do tend to consider a plug as a temporary repair for these reasons, but not because it is scary or dangerous as an absolute rule...

relyt92
10-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I've had multiple felts repaired for free from Kal Tire. The always say they'll fix the flat for free if they can go over the rest of the vehicle and do an estimate for any further repairs they might find. I've never taken them up on any of the recommended repairs but lots probably do. Good little tool for drumming up business. Weird, the two I've been to didn't even ask about checking over anything, just told me to hang tight for a bit and then gave the keys back.

roll_over
10-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Tire bob thank you. Your response was perfect

The_Penguin
10-21-2015, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I just want to comment on plugs as there is a lot of chatter here about them...

:thumbsup: Great post, thanks!