PDA

View Full Version : Community rec center wants to take my photo?

Robin Goodfellow
10-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Got a 10-pass at the local rec center to take some classes.

They wanted to take my picture.

I did not feel it was worth handing over a piece of my soul so I could swim so asked if I could skip the picture part. The lady said it was in case I lost it, no one could use it. I told her I accepted that risk.

She was helpful, and suggested they could do it if I was willing to show other picture ID when I used the pass - I agreed. They issued the pass, but the matter has been referred to their mgr for review. They say I'm the first person that's ever objected.

I don't imagine I have a legal leg to stand on - It's clearly my choice to obey their policy or go elsewhere. Not that I'd fight it that hard... I don't really want my pic sitting on someone's computer, but have no intention to be a dick about it either.

Additionally a few weeks ago I got a gym membership - I also objected to the picture they wanted to take. They didn't even have an ID card - They just wanted it for their own files. They said no prob, put a note on my file. The first few visits the girls offered take my pic, and I re-expressed my reluctance. They were cool about it. A few visits later, they all recognize me and the matter is no longer raised.

I find it interesting that this has become an accepted, unquestioned practice.

Does anyone else object to this?

wintonyk
10-16-2015, 09:39 PM
not sure why there would be an issue with your pic on file. it's not like you have never had your pic taken before.

it's pretty standard for anything with a membership to require a picture. hell if you google your name you can probably find pictures, whats the difference?

if you are worried about identity theft giving them your address or anything your birthday is far worse.

Robin Goodfellow
10-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
not sure why there would be an issue with your pic on file. it's not like you have never had your pic taken before.

it's pretty standard for anything with a membership to require a picture. hell if you google your name you can probably find pictures, whats the difference?

Previously the only pics I had taken were DL and Passport. I've never liked having my picture taken, and find the idea of all of these images floating around somehow diminishing.

Until recently, there were 0 photos of me online, but now there are exactly 2

Recently, a photo taken years ago by a reporter surfaced online. The context was flattering, but I didn't know at the time that my picture was being taken and I had a stupid expression on my face.

Not wanting the sole picture of me online to be a stupid one, I put a more flattering one up on my linkedin.

My longtime friends just about pissed themselves.

roll_over
10-16-2015, 10:08 PM
You know what I'm totally with you.

HiTempguy1
10-16-2015, 10:15 PM
I do agree with the concept of asking "why?"; if they need to verify you, they can ask for ID.

Of course, as you mentioned, its sort of like the whole "scanning DL at the bar/club", those with the power make the rules, you can choose to not use the services.

Kloubek
10-16-2015, 10:43 PM
Really?

I mean, each to their own.... but anybody can take your picture. You should walk around with a nihab if your identity is so concerning.

Robin Goodfellow
10-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Really?

I mean, each to their own.... but anybody can take your picture. You should walk around with a nihab if your identity is so concerning.

Hidden in plain site bro.

J.M.
10-17-2015, 12:40 AM
are you afraid of cameras

TomcoPDR
10-17-2015, 02:25 AM
From grade 7-12, we were required to take student pictured ID. How'd you get around the school board system?

Robin Goodfellow
10-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
From grade 7-12, we were required to take student pictured ID. How'd you get around the school board system?

I don't recall. Whose to say I didn't have my picture taken? And which school system?

EK 2.0
10-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Maybe he's ugly??....:dunno:

Wait sorry, non-photogenic...

C_Dave45
10-17-2015, 02:08 PM
God, ignorant paranoia annoys the shit outta me.

Change your avatar.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3430/3211396764_4bd6fb6bb3.jpg

rx7_turbo2
10-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

I did not feel it was worth handing over a piece of my soul

Picture taken = Piece of soul removed

Good to know

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/21/2101a92f3b1b287f2e8797814c7b94b2fcb16ecc9372862e05744b7c690f28e8.jpg

Maxt
10-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Who knew beyond had hutterites posting.

wintonyk
10-17-2015, 05:07 PM

I don't recall. Whose to say I didn't have my picture taken? And which school system?

in calgary... both public and catholic systems, university too. That being said not a single one of my "id" photos have ever been posted online.

it's the internet, it's not a community centre I am worried about a bad pic, it would be more drunken photos from my university days. then again I am sure you can hire someone to bury it in the depths of the interwebz

schurchill39
10-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Who knew beyond had hutterites posting.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Xtrema
10-18-2015, 10:25 AM
You do know if you used a smartphone, you have more in the cloud that just a silly picture at rec center?

C_Dave45
10-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
You do know if you used a smartphone, you have more in the cloud that just a silly picture at rec center?
Unless he's turned off that feature.

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

And if that were the case that would be fine, as these would be pictures nominally under my control, as opposed to a gaggle strangers who have demanded a picture from me with no clear reason why.

I was initially told the reason was so no one could use my pass if it was lost. I said that I had no problem accepting that risk, and would be willing to show my DL Alongside my pass each time I used it.

I went back to facility yesterday. The different girl at the counter was quite flustered at my lack of picture. She got a bit authoritarian, and demanded that I have a picture taken. I was characteristically polite, and explained to her that I'd declined, and that the matter was being reviewed be her manager. She gave me my receipt (Which authorizes entry), and told me in a threatening tone that I could expect a call from them.

She was about 20?25? And probably has no understanding of this policy. She seemed quite invested in its enforcement. People are funny.

This exercise is getting interesting. I'm not going to go full on whackjob and "Take the fight to city hall", but I think I am going to continue to explore it. If it comes to it, I'll give them a piece of my soul, but not until either necessary or justified.

It will be interesting to see if I learn anything - And perhaps in the process the staff will learn something. Or not.

C_Dave45
10-18-2015, 11:13 AM
People like you annoy me.
Do you enjoy making her life hard for her?
For what? Because you don't want someone seeing your picture? They might photoshop it onto a pedophile's profile? Might stalk you down to kidnap you and demand millions in ransom?
Grow up.
I equate you with the nutjob bus driver whining about his religion vs his morals. All for a little bit of attention.

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
People like you annoy me.
Do you enjoy making her life hard for her?
For what? Because you don't want someone seeing your picture? They might photoshop it onto a pedophile's profile? Might stalk you down to kidnap you and demand millions in ransom?
Grow up.
I equate you with the nutjob bus driver whining about his religion vs his morals. All for a little bit of attention.

You may interpret as you wish, however, I didn't come in for a grandstanding fight. I simply stated that I didn't wish my picture taken.

The other gym seemed perfectly fine with it - They smiled, and made a note on my file.

I have been very respectful and civil in my approach. I believe it's possible to decline participation without being a dick about it.

The guy with the bus... he was a dick about it. He was grandstanding his refusal even before he was asked. Unkind comparison.

The first clerk at the community gym was fine with it, and laughed, and said she'd get her manager to look at it. This is appropriate. The second girl has made a choice to get fussed about it. As have you.

It's interesting to me, that you, as a pot-smoking renegade, would advocate such uncritical acceptance.

Whatever happened to the gold old days when the potheads advocated for questioning authority?

This exercise continues to pay dividends.

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

in calgary... both public and catholic systems, university too. That being said not a single one of my "id" photos have ever been posted online.

Umm.... Ok. I don't know that I was in a school system that is similar to the school system you went through. That being said, I can't recall if I had a picture ID taken as a kid, or if this is even meaningful in the context of my current matter.

But if this is your big "Gotcha" moment, knock yourself out...

rx7_turbo2
10-18-2015, 12:54 PM

Umm.... Ok. I don't know that I was in a school system that is similar to the school system you went through. That being said, I can't recall if I had a picture ID taken as a kid, or if this is even meaningful in the context of my current matter.

But if this is your big "Gotcha" moment, knock yourself out...

I think to clear things up an explanation as to why you don't want your picture taken would help. Or was the whole "it takes a piece of my soul" thing serious?

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I think to clear things up an explanation as to why you don't want your picture taken would help.

An excellent observation, but I've decided that shoe fits better on the other foot - I think it is more appropriate that they give me an explanation why they should take my picture.

Hell, this isn't like I'm lining up lawyers to take a fight to city hall, but I don't think it's a lot to ask.

I rather like the facility, and if an explanation can be given that's even remotely sensible, they get to take a picture of my beautiful self for all of their staff members to admire. If it comes down to a simple authoritarian demand that I must comply because they have demanded.... I think I would have to make a choice.

Really not sure what choice I'd make, but am finding the whole exercise to be interesting food for thought.

C_Dave45
10-18-2015, 12:58 PM

It's interesting to me, that you, as a pot-smoking renegade, would advocate such uncritical acceptance.

Whatever happened to the gold old days when the potheads advocated for questioning authority?
Clear evidence of your ignorant, cliched, stereotypical assumptions.

Smokes pot=hippy, renegade, anti-establishment.

Big time fail on your part.

C_Dave45
10-18-2015, 01:00 PM

An excellent observation, but I've decided that shoe fits better on the other foot - I think it is more appropriate that they give me an explanation why they should take my picture.

Hell, this isn't like I'm lining up lawyers to take a fight to city hall, but I don't think it's a lot to ask.
Are you really that thick?

The reason is so that you can't hand out your pass to every member of your family and all your friends. The passes are non-transferable.

Sheesh!!

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 01:03 PM

Clear evidence of your ignorant, cliched, stereotypical assumptions.

Smokes pot=hippy, renegade, anti-establishment.

Big time fail on your part.

Fair enough. If you're more of an uncritical acceptance kind of guy it would be unfair of me to expect you to understand what I'm doing here.

rx7_turbo2
10-18-2015, 01:04 PM

That's fine for when you're dealing with those actually asking to take your picture. I'm not asking to take your picture, I'm just asking why you don't want it taken:dunno:

You started this thread, I don't think asking for that explanation is unreasonable, knowing your motivation here would squelch the accusations of this just being crazy behaviour.

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Are you really that thick?

The reason is so that you can't hand out your pass to every member of your family and all your friends. The passes are non-transferable.

Sheesh!!

It has already been agreed that I show my drivers license ever time I use the pass. This was touched on above, but perhaps not clearly.

FraserB
10-18-2015, 01:07 PM
How do you deal with the numerous times each day your picture is captured when you leave your gone?

C_Dave45
10-18-2015, 01:10 PM

It has already been agreed that I show my drivers license ever time I use the pass. This was touched on above, but perhaps not clearly.

You mean the piece of ID that you...posed for a photo in? :rolleyes:
Oh for the love of God.....Jesus....you see why this is so annoying?

So you buy a pass, giving you reduced admissions. Hence why it is non-transferable. They COULD just write down your name and address and every time you came in, you could whip out your wallet, provide your gov't issued photo ID, have them take a look at your ID, scan their data base to see if you do in fact have a pass, then grant your permission to enter.

OR....................................................................................................................................................................
Give everyone a photo ID pass that they show as they walk in. DONE!

Good GOD, why do people want to complicate life with ridiculous, ignorant thought-up scenarios!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Your threads are nothing but troll threads, no? Has to be.
Toma the second. Mar's evil Twin. Thales of Mitosis 2nd cousin.

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 01:13 PM

You started this thread, I don't think asking for that explanation is unreasonable, knowing your motivation here would squelch the accusations of this just being crazy behaviour.

A reasonable question.

The soul stealing, is metaphor, but not incorrect.

The photos that I'm most ok with are taken by those that know me, for their own personal use. I generally prefer not to have my picture taken by strangers.

I've never liked having my picture taken. This has been since I was young. I'm totally ok with it if it's in the hands of those I know, such as a family setting, but do feel somehow diminished by photos floating around out there in unknown hands.

I don't know that I could explain it to everyone's satisfaction, but in a nutshell, that's basically it.

There is a secondary element here that interests me, is the institutional reaction to my request not to have my picture taken, as well as the reaction of individuals.

C_Dave45
10-18-2015, 01:17 PM

I generally prefer not to have my picture taken by strangers.
.......but do feel somehow diminished by photos floating around out there in unknown hands.

Do you have a drivers license?
Do you have a passport?

You DO realize your photo is in every conceivable gov't, or gov't associated database, accessible by hundreds of thousands of people at any given moment?

A gym membership card in the city of Calgary is the least of your worries. :rolleyes:

rx7_turbo2
10-18-2015, 01:26 PM
but do feel somehow diminished by photos floating around out there in unknown hands.

You recognize that as being pretty wacky though right? Not liking having your photo taken because of self esteem issues is one thing, when you start believing the act of having your picture taken "diminishes" you, implying every photo taken of you makes you less of who you are, that's a line that just got crossed.

Robin Goodfellow
10-18-2015, 05:01 PM

You recognize that as being pretty wacky though right?

Perhaps. I can appreciate that the abstraction may not make sense to many, and that's ok.

R154
10-18-2015, 07:40 PM
You know what Robin, I like this objection. Not because I am adverse to the photo being taken aspect, rather, your reason in the context of the situation. I am glad that you've chosen to challenge something like this while sticking to your own beliefs.

Society needs more people who walk their own path and bump into walls. This seems innocuous enough not to gather a massive movement behind it, but inflammatory enough that we are having this conversation.

Interesting posts made here. Some are mildly shocking though.

HiTempguy1
10-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Some severe hate over a reasonable position the OP has taken.

If the answer to a question of "why" is "because", there is no justification, irrelevant of the reason for asking " why".

More mental gymnastics by the typical beyonders to argue against something that they don't think is right but can't say why :rofl:

jwslam
10-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
If the answer to a question of "why" is "because", there is no justification, irrelevant of the reason for asking " why".
Isn't it as straight forward as "my house my rules"? You don't ask why you have to sit at a red light when there's no traffic going perpendicular; you don't ask why a restaurant serves a particular burger without a pickle; you don't ask why beyonders flame :dunno:

Sugarphreak
10-19-2015, 07:29 AM

Cos
10-19-2015, 07:54 AM

ianmcc
10-19-2015, 07:55 AM
Robin may have a legal argument if it ever goes to court-the PERSONAL INFORMATION
PROTECTION ACT covers collection of information (which includes photographic records) and consent to collect that information.

sexualbanana
10-19-2015, 09:28 AM
In most case, drop in-type passes like your 10-pass are generally considered transferable (10 uses is 10 uses, regardless of who uses them), so unless it's stated in their rules of usage that it's non-transferable, there's no reason to require a photo.

Memberships are a different story because of it's terms of unlimited usage, and thus vulnerable to fraud. So in that case, a photo on file would be needed. Or, in your case showing ID should suffice should you not want to have one on file - which you clearly don't.

rage2
10-19-2015, 09:33 AM
She was about 20?25?
Pics?

Robin Goodfellow
10-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Pics?

Unfortunately, not worth the space on my phone...

awolxxx
10-22-2015, 08:41 AM
So, you take pictures of others?

mr2mike
10-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by awolxxx
So, you take pictures of others?
:rofl:

Unknown303
10-22-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm with Robin on this one. I'm not letting some teenager steal apart of my soul! On this same point my gym doesn't require a photo to be taken I just got a little scan card thing I scan when I come in.

Robin Goodfellow
10-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Update:

Went to gym yesterday. Handed my pictureless gym pass and Drivers license to the older woman at counter. She did a double take, and helpfully asked if she could help me get my picture on the pass. I told her I'd prefer not to have my picture taken. She shrugged, checked me in, and no worries.

A few minutes later whle walking from the change room to the gym I hear someone calliing my name. It's some chick I don't recognize. She identifies herself as the counter girl from last week (oh ya, I remember now), and said she'd talked with her manager, who clarified that I'd need to take a photo to continue to use the pass.

I told her I'd come see her after my workout and get it sorted. I mentioned that I didn't object to getting my picture taken, but that no one had actually told me why they want my picture.

Her Cow-orker/companion chipped in: "There's lots of different people here, and we need the photo on file for everyone's safety". (Ah, the safety card! )

So after my workout, I go to see her but she's on break, so a totally different cow-orker refunds my 10-pass, minus a few dropins. No worries. I ask this one if she knew why they wanted my picture - She said so no one could use my pass. I asked if it was not sufficient to provide DL with pass. She said no, they'd need it on file.

(Consider that this is not an unlimited membership, but a pre-paid 10-pass. Almost nil benefit to transfer)

Observation #1: It seems everyone has a different answer why, and none of the answers really stands up to scrutiny.

Observation #2: The less good looking the girl, but more of a fuss they seemed to make about my pic not being on file. The better looking ones didn't seem to give a shit.

But here's the kicker: I can still continue to do drop-ins now, without having any picture on file!

The whole exercise has been fascinating.

Unknown303
10-24-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm a little suprised you've always been content dealing with the desk attendants. Why haven't you gone to the manager to get to the bottom of it.

Robin Goodfellow
10-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I'm a little suprised you've always been content dealing with the desk attendants. Why haven't you gone to the manager to get to the bottom of it.

I deliberately did not do that.

I'm kept it all very casual, and been very nice at every step. I wasn't fight-ey, I was just a nice guy who didn't really want his picture taken.

Never did I frame things in terms of obtuse refusal, or "my rights" - But personal discomfort.

Once I started down this path, it became more about gently nudging and asking... not about trying to force my will upon this institution.

Ironically, there's little cost-difference between the 10-pass and the drop-in, so it doesn't matter to me much one way or the other.

Unknown303
10-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Fair enough if I got to that point I wouldn't mind having a word with management just to get a better understanding of what they're trying to accomplish.

Robin Goodfellow
10-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Fair enough if I got to that point I wouldn't mind having a word with management just to get a better understanding of what they're trying to accomplish.

I don't actually think that the managers know what they are trying to accomplish.

Moreso, the staff have no clear or consistent idea why this is done.

Worst case scenario, I could meet with the management and show all sorts of holes in what they're doing, and then they just lock things down creating more inconvenience for all. Don't want that on my conscience.

Best case scenario is that the matter becomes a topic of lunchroom conversation among the staff, leading to some thoughtful exploration and discussion.

Unknown303
10-24-2015, 02:30 PM
But now you've robbed them of having that chance. There could be legal issues surrounding the collection and storage of personal information and identities that could have been beneficial to bring up with them.

Robin Goodfellow
10-24-2015, 02:38 PM
But now you've robbed them of having that chance.

It certainly would be accurate to say they've been"Robbed". :-)

The_Rural_Juror
10-24-2015, 03:00 PM

I did not feel it was worth handing over a piece of my soul

I've quoted your post, now I have a piece of your soul as well. Will sell it back for $20.

FixedGear
10-24-2015, 03:32 PM
why is it such a big deal Robin Goodfellow? Your photo can be found in 2 s by just googling your beyond username. :dunno:

mr2mike
10-26-2015, 08:02 PM
https://36.media.tumblr.com/914f70b76c3e2515082e661462efca1e/tumblr_nwqwn7oE0t1rn1g8co1_500.jpg

sexualbanana
10-27-2015, 03:54 PM

Worst case scenario, I could meet with the management and show all sorts of holes in what they're doing, and then they just lock things down creating more inconvenience for all. Don't want that on my conscience.

Best case scenario is that the matter becomes a topic of lunchroom conversation among the staff, leading to some thoughtful exploration and discussion.

Worst scenario: they continue down this path of inconsistent enforcement until someone else gets upset over the lack of a consistent response. In which case, the facility now has to go to further extremes of enforcement.

Best case scenario: you bring up the holes in the policy to management. In which case, a formal discussion is probably held for all staff members to educate them on the rationale behind the policy, so that they can adequately answer similar questions in the future while keeping their existing security measures. And, you go home with an explanation (whether they are correct in their opinion or otherwise).

Robin Goodfellow
10-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Best case scenario: you bring up the holes in the policy to management. In which case, a formal discussion is probably held for all staff members to educate them on the rationale behind the policy, so that they can adequately answer similar questions in the future while keeping their existing security measures. And, you go home with an explanation (whether they are correct in their opinion or otherwise).

I just don't see correcting their faulty policies as my duty, or in my interest.

This has been about curiosity, and my own privacy, but was never a crusade to fix or correct.

By "Fixing" this for all, I'd become the busybody that I hate.

Plus, if I help them plug the holes, they'll want to steal my soul again.

zipdoa
10-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Let me answer your question with another question... how many abidigitals do you see modeling?