PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Computer Freezing/Stuttering

Redlined_8000
10-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Hey guys.

So I had a new computer custom built at Memory express last year. Here are the specs:

-NXZT Phantom Tower
-Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm
-Corsair Force LS Series SSD 120GB
-HIS Radeon R9 270X IceQ Graphics Card
-Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram
-AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz 16MB processor
-Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 Motherboard
-Cooler Master Extreme 725W power supply
-Microsoft Windows 7 Home premium

This computer from day 1 has had some weird freezing and stuttering issue. Basically what happens is it just pauses for 1-3 seconds during regular usage, just browsing the internet or watching a video it just pauses randomly. I took the computer into Memory Express to investigate this issue on 3 separate occasions. They did multiple tests on it and replaced the graphics card. The issue is still not resolved and I did not feel like wasting more time there.

Just recently within the last month my computer is randomly freezing again and it is just staying frozen unless I reboot it. Very annoying.... This happens most often 1 minute after startup only If I fire up the internet right away. If I leave it for 5 min to boot up and then use it it does not freeze. So now I have that startup issue with the random stuttering issue on top of it.... What a piece of crap.

Any suggestions would be appreciated... I am thinking to do a full system wipe and see if that changes anything.

jacky4566
10-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Did MemX reinstall windows? Have you considered the free Windows 10?
How is the ram configured? 2 sticks of 8?

These issues are always a PITA. What i would try:
Monitor the task manager for random program, memory hogs and high cpu usage.
Update firmwares on motherboard. Looks like there is a few updates for "Improve system stability"
Update all other firmwares and drivers.
Remove the second harddrive to test for an impact there.
Remove each stick of ram. Testing each stick on its own.
Reinstall windows fresh to ensure its not some random floatware doing it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Redlined_8000
10-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Did MemX reinstall windows? Have you considered the free Windows 10?
How is the ram configured? 2 sticks of 8?

These issues are always a PITA. What i would try:
Monitor the task manager for random program, memory hogs and high cpu usage.
Update firmwares on motherboard. Looks like there is a few updates for "Improve system stability"
Update all other firmwares and drivers.
Remove the second harddrive to test for an impact there.
Remove each stick of ram. Testing each stick on its own.
Reinstall windows fresh to ensure its not some random floatware doing it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for input.

Im not sure if Memex reinstalled windows, I think they did but not sure...
My RAM is 2 sticks of 8. I did remove and swap them and try 1 at a time, issue remains.

I will try the firmware and drivers and il try the windows 10... Thanks man. Windows 10 sounds like it could be it.... It could be a software issue. But I also have suspicions maybe it is a faulty processor.
If nothing works Im gonna junk this thing and go buy a new computer... But never ever again from shitty Memory Express.

revelations
10-18-2015, 12:53 PM
If its done this from DAY 1, its highly likely that its a HARDWARE issue of somekind.

My thoughts (if I was working on it).

1 - memory test, boot into a temporary environment and run a complete, 2-3 pass of all the onboard RAM (takes many hours sometimes). Should have 0 error.

2 - stress test (should run at 100% ram and CPU for 1 hour without issues)

Best bet would have been to take a video of the freezing and shown mem ex. They USUALLY are pretty good at warranting items as long as a) they can recreate it b) you can show them the issue.

Could be something as dumb as a firmware upgrade to the board too.

OTown
10-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Just a shot in the dark but I had similar issues due to a faulty overclock. Is yours overclocked by chance?

firebane
10-18-2015, 03:43 PM
90% of the time a system is built the most key thing that NEVER happens and ALWAYS causes issues is the proper setup of the ram in the BIOS.

Most ram purchased today have a XMP profile which can be enabled in the proper for immediate setup. If this doesn't exist then you need to go into the BIOS and manually enter the timings for your ram.

ANY sort of stuttering or freezing is ALWAYS hardware related either ram, mobo or hard drives.

Mista Bob
10-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

-Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm
-Corsair Force LS Series SSD 120GB

This computer from day 1 has had some weird freezing and stuttering issue. Basically what happens is it just pauses for 1-3 seconds during regular usage, just browsing the internet or watching a video it just pauses randomly. I took the computer into Memory Express to investigate this issue on 3 separate occasions. They did multiple tests on it and replaced the graphics card. The issue is still not resolved and I did not feel like wasting more time there.

I have this issue, or similar at least. Mostly all I know is it didn't start until I started using a SSD and a HDD together. It would pause for 1-3 seconds every now and then and I could hear the HDD starting to spool up.
It would then continue on normally after the HDD was spooled up to speed. Open up the case and listen for the HDD while it happens.

Does it every time you want to load anything off the HDD as well since it automatically stops spinning after x amount of time of no use. I'm assuming you have the OS and some other stuff on the SSD and the HDD for storage?

Funnily enough I have the same series SSD too, just in double the capacity.

ZenOps
10-19-2015, 05:19 AM
Try disabling ACPI in control panel and then in BIOS.

If it works, do not use sleep mode as it will mess it up.

Unininstall any yellow ! in control panel.

Seth1968
10-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Agreed that it's most likely related to the ram and/or ram settings. With the only doubt being that a ram issue wouldn't normally get progressively worse. But an HDD mechanical issue would.

I recently had an HP tower in my shop that had terrible lag (basically so slow it was unusable). The culprit was easy to identify as soon as I heard the HDD's "tick of death". Opening the tower, I was surprised to find that this older HP had 2 HDD's. The customer didn't even know he had an extra drive.

Anyway, it turned out that it was the extra drive that was failing. I disconnected it, and the system ran fine. So either Windows was constantly cuing the failed drive, or vice versa. Either way, disconnecting it solved the problem.

Seth1968
10-19-2015, 01:56 PM
I read the original post a little to quick and missed this possible clue:

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Hey guys.

If this freezing and stuttering only occurs when you're on the net, then we can narrow it down to a buffering issue. In which case, probable causes could be your antivirus, your network card, or a device on your network.

Redlined_8000
10-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by OTown
Just a shot in the dark but I had similar issues due to a faulty overclock. Is yours overclocked by chance?

No no overclock.

Originally posted by Mista Bob

I have this issue, or similar at least. Mostly all I know is it didn't start until I started using a SSD and a HDD together. It would pause for 1-3 seconds every now and then and I could hear the HDD starting to spool up.
It would then continue on normally after the HDD was spooled up to speed. Open up the case and listen for the HDD while it happens.

Does it every time you want to load anything off the HDD as well since it automatically stops spinning after x amount of time of no use. I'm assuming you have the OS and some other stuff on the SSD and the HDD for storage?

Funnily enough I have the same series SSD too, just in double the capacity.

No the freezing does not happen due to switching of hard drives.

Originally posted by Seth1968
I read the original post a little to quick and missed this possible clue:

If this freezing and stuttering only occurs when you're on the net, then we can narrow it down to a buffering issue. In which case, probable causes could be your antivirus, your network card, or a device on your network.

Sorry it isnt just from internet use I should have clarified. It is completely random... Happens without internet.

Well my attempt at installing windows 10 was a massive fail... Computer froze up half way through the download and took me until now to figure out how to reboot it back to windows 7. I thought I was done for lol.

I will work on all the suggestions listed this weekend. Thanks guys.