PDA

View Full Version : Best used 7 passenger suv/crossover for $25k ?

cidley69
10-18-2015, 06:41 PM
Family is growing, looking to buy a 7 passenger vehicle.

Want something that will still fit in garage (full size suv is out) and is halfway decent on gas.

With a budget of $25-28k any recommendations?

avishal26
10-18-2015, 08:03 PM
The only option I can think of would be a '14 Santa FE XL.. should easily fit in a garage...

cidley69
10-18-2015, 08:10 PM
I realize 25g won't buy much, I'm ok with used if lower kms.ill check that one thanks.

Canucks3322
10-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Previous gen Pathfinder... 2010-2012ish.

Strider
10-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Sounds like the Nissan Armada won this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/394319/best-used-7-seater-suv/

Not sure if it's in your price range though.

Neil4Speed
10-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Acura MDX? you can definitely get them at that price point now the 2007-2011 years.

Second option, Honda Pilot.

cidley69
10-19-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Strider
Sounds like the Nissan Armada won this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/394319/best-used-7-seater-suv/

Not sure if it's in your price range though.

most vehicles in that thread out of my price range, and a bit on too big size.

my budget is constrained, andlooking at smaller size suv/crossover.

ideally:
2nd row bench could site 3 kids across (in carseats).
3rd row folds down as storage, and when third row not folded there's still enough room to put stroller/groceries.

in my price range, narrowing it to: Honda Pilot, Ford Flex, Mazda CX-9, Acura MDX.

Anyone have experience with any of these vehicles?

killramos
10-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Would a used Odyssey be an option? Or is the Crossover/SUV thing mandatory?

The vans just tend to be nicer, more comfortable, and cheap assuming you don't actually need them to do duty as a truck, which a crossover wont do anyhow.

For a three kid transporter it can't really be beaten.

cidley69
10-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately the wife hasn't accepted that transition yet. she's still in denial.

actually wants me to buy her rims for whatever vehicle it ends up being!

so minivans not an option.

rage2
10-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by cidley69

ideally:
3rd row folds down as storage, and when third row not folded there's still enough room to put stroller/groceries.

in my price range, narrowing it to: Honda Pilot, Ford Flex, Mazda CX-9, Acura MDX.

http://certified.mercedes-benz.ca/used/2013/-b-class-/b250/2013-b-class-b250-grey-calgary-for-sale-wddmh4eb9dj127377

We just drove up to Banff this weekend in ours, 3 kids in the back, 2 adults up front, stroller and backpacks in the trunk.

You can fit 3 fwd facing convertibles out back. We had a forward facing convertible and a rear facing infant on the sides, with a booster in the middle.

cidley69
10-19-2015, 08:53 AM
Is there a fold down 3rd row in yours?

rage2
10-19-2015, 09:00 AM
There is no 3rd row unfortunately (the new GLB class in the next 3 years is planning to offer that). I must've misread your post, thought u wanted something that can fit 3 kids in the back but with ample storage in the trunk and can get away with just 2 rows of seating. The 2nd row folds down into a huge storage area when kids aren't in the car.

If you absolutely need a 3rd row of seats, then ignore my post. :)

Another option is the older RAV4's. There were a couple of model years where the RAV4 had 7 passenger seating, but they discontinued it. Might be hard to find though.

You're going through the exact same thing we did, trying to find a small vehicle that fits kids nicely, but not SUV or minivan.

redline
10-19-2015, 09:30 AM
The MDX is the best bang for buck SUV going don't let the Benz fan boys talk you out of making a good decision. Don't buy some old German relic that cost you an arm and leg to fix.

rage2
10-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by redline
Don't buy some old German relic that cost you an arm and leg to fix.
It's a 2013. :rofl:

At the end of the day, take all the suggestions, go to dealers and test drive one and make your decision.

edit - hilariously enough, a google search shows that it costs more to replace the brakes on an MDX than a B250.

Tik-Tok
10-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Unfortunately the wife hasn't accepted that transition yet. she's still in denial.

actually wants me to buy her rims for whatever vehicle it ends up being!

so minivans not an option.

Just get her to test drive a Oddessy with the whole family onboard. My wife also hates minivans, but after we drove one for a couple of weeks, she admitted that she would definitely buy it if we had 3+ kids.

Aleks
10-19-2015, 09:56 AM

ideally:

How often would you have passengers in the 3rd row? None of those SUVs will have enough room for a stroller and groceries behind the 3rd bench, unfortunately. They are designed to be used as once in a while seats back there. I've had a Pilot as loaner when Odyssey was in for service and I was surprised by how different the two are when it comes to space.
If you're only occasionally going to put passengers in the back row, Pilot/MDX will work fine.

killramos
10-19-2015, 10:09 AM
One of the big pluses with the Odyssey over an SUV is the sliding doors as well, especially if you are trying to strap 3 kids into car seats in a busy parking lot. Also when they get a bit older you don't need to worry about your kids bashing the doors into cars parked next to you.

I completely understand why for many people its not an option though. It wouldn't be an option for me, but then again i don't have or am planning to have kids any time soon.

My biggest concerns are cramming my drunk ass friends into the back of the car when its my turn as DD. All 3 of my cars are pretty piss poor for that. :rofl:

rage2
10-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
How often would you have passengers in the 3rd row?
That was the key question that we struggled with in getting a 7 passenger vehicle. We'd use the 3rd row maybe 1-2x a year when grandparents come to visit. In those cases, we would just rent a minivan.

One of the bonuses with always having a 7 passenger vehicle is child separation. Having 3 kids sitting beside each other can be a little crazy if one pisses off another.

soloracer
10-20-2015, 09:04 PM
The only minivan I want to drive...forward to 1:25 for the good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He7YpzFmzBM

muse017
10-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Nissan Rogue has 3rd row seating option

cidley69
10-20-2015, 09:18 PM
What year did that option start?

NoPulp
10-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Maybe I missed it but was is the max length you can fit in your garage?
Girlfriends parents own a mdx. It's actually very nice and pretty good for room considering the size of the vehicle. We had 6 adults, 2 in each row, for 2 hours and it wasn't bad.

jwslam
10-21-2015, 07:24 AM

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130910/OEM04/130909864/nissan-rogue-gets-third-row-of-seats-for-2014-improved-mpg

Kloubek
10-21-2015, 08:00 AM
For me, the best options are the MDX and CX9. (I own the latter) Both vehicles that won't put you into a slumber to drive. The Pilot is a good vehicle, but not at all an entertaining drive.

Kolbatron
10-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Ford Flex :thumbsup:

cidley69
10-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Been looking at the Flex, solid reviews and in my price range.

You own one? What year, how do you like it? pros/cons?

lint
10-21-2015, 08:53 AM
I have a 2010 Flex Ltd Ecoboost, but in a 6 seater config with second row captains chairs. Tons of second row legroom, the seats slide, huge cargo area when the 3rd row is folded. Very comfortable ride, great power with the EB, excellent for road trips. I like that it's lower so it drives more like a big wagon than a tall SUV. Power fold seats made it really easy to get in and out of the back, but when we had 2 kids in car seats that was a pain, so we removed the center console and now they can just walk through.

Cons would be no sliding doors, but that's never been a deal breaker for us even with 3 kids. With the 3rd row in use it really limits the trunk space, but the 3rd row can be split 50/50 which helps. And overall the cargo space can't compare to a minivan, the rear opening also limits what you can fit in there. Long and skinny is great though as everything folds flat including the passenger seat, so you can fit a 10' ladder or bookshelf from Ikea easily. I've got roof bars and a cargo box now, so interior space isn't a concern at least when travelling.

There've been a few TSBs, and it's more of a hate dealing with Ford than anything else. We're just under 80k kms and the only major work would be brakes (had a seizure problem with the rears) and wheel bearing that was replaced under warranty. We're out of warranty now, so that's a little concerning, but it's been a great family vehicle for us.

schocker
10-21-2015, 09:53 AM
I had a flex sel rental last time I was in phoenix and I liked it a lot. I have not driven an explorer to compare though just edge and taurus sho.

rage2
10-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Look for the SV model (mid range) with Family Tech package. That's the only way to get the 3rd row seating. The option isn't available for the top SL line.

The Rogue uses CVT transmission, last gen Rogue CVT was terrible, recalled/replaced often, and Nissan had to do a 10 year warranty on it because it was so bad. The new ones are better, haven't heard many complaints yet. It's the most boring car to drive ever if you're a car enthusiast, but the MIL loved it and we got her one this summer.

edit - extended warranty info for last gen.

http://www.nissanassist.com/ProgramDetails.php?menu=2

It was a mess. :(

BerserkerCatSplat
10-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Been looking at the Flex, solid reviews and in my price range.

You own one? What year, how do you like it? pros/cons?

I've rented a Flex a couple of times and really liked it. That's what I would buy if I needed a 7-seater.

stevelou
10-21-2015, 12:46 PM
We rented a Flex for our trip out east last year with to small children and the stroller we still had decent room especially if the third row seats were flat. It wasn't the eco boost version which I would've preferred testing but I liked it. The wife likes more of the traditional suv stance and disliked how low it was. Other than that it was nice.

relyt92
10-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Get the Ecoboost flex and a Livenois tune for it.

Xtrema
10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kia/Sorento/Calgary/Alberta/5_24975606_200514125423706/?ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=8&showcpo=ShowCPO

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Kia/Sorento/Calgary/Alberta/5_25646945_20140324103236175/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=14_15_47

Rented a Sorento once and didn't hate it like I usually do with Koreans.

A lot of feature for the price. 2012 means you may still have a year or 2 factory warranty left.

But your requirement of stroller with 3rd roll up may remove a lot of SUVs from consideration and you'll be stucked with the Pilot and the GM trio Enclave/Traverse/Arcadia.

duaner
10-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Have had a 2010 non-EB Flex for 2 1/2 years. The main issue is that the sunroof leaks and is staining the headliner at the front. It cost us one control module for the centre console and Ford supposedly fixed the leak, but nope, they didn't. So we just drape a towel over the centre console when it's raining or snowing/thawing. This is a known problem from what I have found.

The paint is quickly becoming a problem with rust spots appearing in several places on the roof. And they start by bubbling the paint. Not sure how to proceed other than waiting until winter is over and seeing if there are any funds to repaint the whole roof. Or wait until the end of next summer for a hail storm.

The shoulder strap sits too low on the shoulder, even for my 5'8" wife. Rather odd but not a deal breaker. Ha ha.

Other than that, it does drive nice, is relatively quiet, and the square back helps with fitting stuff in. We actually had no problem fitting a stove in there, twice with two different stoves. I just wish we could have gotten an EB model with the mid refrigerated console, especially since we don't and won't have kids.