PDA

View Full Version : Changing Light Fixture Above Staircase

prodigydud
10-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Hi Beyond,

I need help changing a light fixture (thanks for all the advice in my previous thread...things worked out nicely).

This light fixture is on our second level overlooking an open staircase (open to the basement). It's not exactly above our staircase (eg. a ladder on the stairs wouldn't work). I do not think there is enough room to set a ladder up from the basement the second floor. Total height is roughly 26' (9' main floor, 9' basement, 8' second level).

Any ideas on how to gain access to this? special ladder? scaffolding?

Tried contacting insured electricians on Kijiji, but 2 have outright said they wouldn't do it - maybe i'm not explaining myself properly.

G-ZUS
10-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Can you get at it from the second floor?

https://www.lowes.ca/light-bulb-changers/bayco-light-bulb-changer-kit_g1196972.html

roopi
10-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Can you get at it from the second floor?

https://www.lowes.ca/light-bulb-changers/bayco-light-bulb-changer-kit_g1196972.html

It sounds as though he is trying to change the fixture not a bulb.

Can you post a picture of how this is setup?

prodigydud
10-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Not my house, but something like this...

Stairs continues to spiral down onto main floor and then onto basement.

I could setup a ladder on the second floor, but i'd have to reach over to access the fixture.

I could also set up a ladder on the stairs, but I'd have the reach over issue as well.

Nufy
10-19-2015, 11:17 AM
I have the same situation...I think.

BI-level house front entrance. Equal stairs go up and down.

Fixture is ceiling mounted above the opening.

Cannot reach from door level or second floor level.

May require some Darwin award quality scaffolding to access and change the fixture...

Nate
10-19-2015, 11:38 AM
I have done this before. We tried a bunch of stuff. Ladders, scaffolding etc. The scaffolding worked best with someone who is tall. You just need a sturdy platform an extra foot off the floor.

Taking the existing light down was easy. Putting up the light was a pain. You need two people to put it up. One to hold the fixture and the other to wire and secure the fixture. The person holding the fixture will be holding it as long as it takes the person to get in wire and get it secured.

nzwasp
10-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I have this problem too and I used my ladder which is articulated and I had it in a L shape with one part resting on the top of the stairs and the other on the landing in the middle and then I stood on top.

G-ZUS
10-19-2015, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by roopi

It sounds as though he is trying to change the fixture not a bulb.

Can you post a picture of how this is setup?

:banghead: reading > me

CompletelyNumb
10-19-2015, 12:42 PM
I'd put a ladder at the base of that turn and lean it against the hand rail. Should give you enough height to get at the fixture, if the ceiling isn't vaulted at that point.

note, I'm 6', so what works for me may not work for you.

prodigydud
10-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
I have the same situation...I think.

BI-level house front entrance. Equal stairs go up and down.

Fixture is ceiling mounted above the opening.

Cannot reach from door level or second floor level.

May require some Darwin award quality scaffolding to access and change the fixture...

Yup, can't reach from main floor or second floor level. Further complicated by a spiral staircase.

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
I'd put a ladder at the base of that turn and lean it against the hand rail. Should give you enough height to get at the fixture, if the ceiling isn't vaulted at that point.

note, I'm 6', so what works for me may not work for you.

I like this idea, but the hand rails are on a spiral stair case, so I do not think it would be secure enough to rest the ladder against. Even then, not sure if it would give me enough height to reach the ceiling.

Originally posted by nzwasp
I have this problem too and I used my ladder which is articulated and I had it in a L shape with one part resting on the top of the stairs and the other on the landing in the middle and then I stood on top.

I think I follow, however we don't have a landing in the middle. It would be resting on a set of stairs (maybe need to build a platform for this to work)

jdmakkord
10-19-2015, 03:21 PM
I recently changed out a fan and chandelier on my 2 story ceilings. Wound up renting scaffolding as there was no way to lean an extension ladder, or balance the weight on an A frame ladder. Pain to set up but way easier to work on.

revelations
10-19-2015, 03:28 PM
You can tie a ladder to the spiral handrail if its sturdy enough. Most of the weight should be on the base of the ladder so as long as its stable there, the rest isnt impossible.

danno
10-19-2015, 04:53 PM
How close at the top can you setup a ladder? I've done some pretty impressive reaches hanging lights in situations like this measure from where the ladder is setup to where the fixture mounts.

CanmoreOrLess
10-19-2015, 04:56 PM
That light fixture must be real ugly, no way I'm risking my life swapping out something that already does what it is designed for... namely to give light. Shit, I'll pass out flashlights before I get on a 20 foot ladder or Darwin scaffolding.

Nufy
10-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
That light fixture must be real ugly, no way I'm risking my life swapping out something that already does what it is designed for... namely to give light. Shit, I'll pass out flashlights before I get on a 20 foot ladder or Darwin scaffolding.

Or its spouse induced...

HuMz
10-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Put a 6 foot ladder on the top landing, then use an extension ladder leaned up against the front wall not visible in picture. Then build a platform using 2×4's and and thick plywood. Then run platform from 4 foot ladder run (of whatever height you're feet need to be at) over to the run on the extension ladder at the same level. If a 10ft length of platform won't reach both ladders this idea won't work.

I should also put a disclaimer that this is highly unsafe. Scaffolding is the proper way to do this.

CanmoreOrLess
10-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

Or its spouse induced...

Impossible to out Darwin that situation, we all must take a bullet for the team from time to time.

NMP91gaEw18

jdmakkord
10-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Impossible to out Darwin that situation, we all must take a bullet for the team from time to time.

NMP91gaEw18

Pretty much the setup I had to deal with.

prodigydud
10-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Looks like I will need some form or scaffolding. This is definitely outside my comfort level.

Can any recommend someone to do this job?

revelations
10-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Take a few pics OP - that way any contractors here know what they are up against.

prodigydud
10-21-2015, 07:22 AM
Ok, here's what I am up against....

I could stand on the second floor and reach over to replace the light bulbs, but definitely not tall enough to reach the ceiling. With a ladder, I might be able to reach over, but worried I'd fall over and pull a Tarzan swing.

prodigydud
10-21-2015, 07:23 AM
Here's the open pit to the basement.....

prodigydud
10-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Here's a third pic looking up from the main floor....

Any suggestions? or know anyone qualified to do this in a safe manner?

killramos
10-21-2015, 07:34 AM
Definitely looks doable with a ladder with adjustable legs. Would only be a foot or so of leaning over with that setup. Add in a buddy to hold the ladder steady and you are laughing.

s_havinga
10-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Would a set up like this work?

Just strap the ladder to the railings so it cant go anywhere, it would be wedged between the railing and the wall so couldn't really go anywhere.

In no way am I claiming this is safe, just the way I would probably go about it.

s_havinga
10-21-2015, 08:08 AM
OR the ladder could lean against the side of that "pocket in the ceiling, just might wreck the stipple finish

killramos
10-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by s_havinga
Would a set up like this work?

Just strap the ladder to the railings so it cant go anywhere, it would be wedged between the railing and the wall so couldn't really go anywhere.

In no way am I claiming this is safe, just the way I would probably go about it.

Could also be strung from the level below if he thinks thats to Hz. Assuming i am understanding his pictures correctly.

prodigydud
10-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Definitely looks doable with a ladder with adjustable legs. Would only be a foot or so of leaning over with that setup. Add in a buddy to hold the ladder steady and you are laughing.

If I follow, are you suggesting an articulating ladder....have the ladder go over the railing then horizonally across then come down onto the stairs by adjusting the ladder legs? (kinda like a mini bridge over the open pit?)

I can sort see this.....does Home Depot rent this kinda ladder?

C_Dave45
10-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Might just be safer to spend a couple of hours and build yourself a proper ladder platform. You're gonna fart around for a day anyways changing the fixture..a couple of hours for safety is well worth it.

X2MYQdg-amQ

killramos
10-21-2015, 09:08 AM
I was thinking even just having it on the stairs themselves if you can get at least 3 legs to land on the steps and just lean over to change the fixture.

gwill
10-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Whatever light fixture you replace it with make sure it's LED so you never have to change the light again in the near future....

Buster
10-26-2016, 08:02 AM
I need to change a ceiling fan and a light fixture in awkward places. What's a good place to rent some scaffolding nowadays?

fortissimo
10-26-2016, 10:32 AM
We have an adjustable ladder from Costco used to replace a bulb in a similar position:

http://www.costco.ca/7.6-m-(25-ft.)-Metaltech-Aluminium-Multi-Task-Ladder-.product.100301257.html

roopi
10-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Buster
I need to change a ceiling fan and a light fixture in awkward places. What's a good place to rent some scaffolding nowadays?

How high of scaffolding do you need? I rented once off of Kijiji last week. It's 6ft high so not sure if that is enough for you. Cost me $30.00 for the week and he is located in Auburn Bay so close to you as well. Nice guy and easy transaction. Let me know if you want his info.

J-hop
12-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Hard to tell but is the glass portion on hooks or are the hangers screwed in?

Mine is somewhat similar and has hooks to mount the glass, I have a garbage grabber tool I use to unhook one side then the glass hangs from the other two hooks. I really sketchely lean out to change mine/pull the fixture towards the landing, but I would not recommend, I would use a bulb grabber tool if I was smart

rage2
12-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Someone with much bigger balls than me.

Tik-Tok
12-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Random 2 year old bump...

Buster
12-27-2018, 02:18 AM
Someone with much bigger balls than me.

Ladder on a ladder? Someone call health and safety!

J-hop
12-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Random 2 year old bump...

Wth, that’s super weird. I clicked the link on the main forum page for home and garden, it was the “most recent” thread. I never dig that far.

Sometimes I think MySQL or whatever handles the database is just a giant piece of shit (not that there are better options out there)

Sugarphreak
12-30-2018, 01:41 PM

syscal
12-31-2018, 10:47 AM
X2MYQdg-amQ

Well, C_Dave45 gets a long deserved :thumbsup: for Best Answer.

rage2
12-31-2018, 11:05 AM
I keep forgetting you live in the same house I did... I was about to post "WTF, is that my old house?"

I actually changed out the chandelier on mine, it wasn't that bad. It is nice when somebody can hand you stuff right from the stairs as well.

EDIT: No, wait... I am remembering this wrong. Mine was originally a light that hung on a 12' chain... so I pulled it over the stair railing, hacked off 6' or so and then attached a new Chandler, haha.
haha yea, I have no idea how to get access to inside where the chain starts from without hacking the drywall around it.

I should explore the attic and see how far it goes. There's an entrance to it in the walk in closet. Have you ever been up there?

Sugarphreak
12-31-2018, 01:01 PM

rage2
01-01-2019, 05:32 PM
So weird to me still.

speedog
01-01-2019, 06:43 PM
So weird to me still.

Baby gate?

rage2
01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Baby gate?
Ya, not really for the kids these days. More for the dogs that we dogsit for friends.