PDA

View Full Version : Tire traction aids

duaner
10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
My latest job has me commuting from SW Calgary to High River. I'm a little worried about the highway driving and was wondering if anyone has or has used any of these tire traction aids from CT when they've spun out, or helped someone else:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search-results.html?searchByTerm=true&q=traction&=

Looks like you need to buy 2 of each. Any recommendations would be great.

killramos
10-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Just get an AMA membership?

Its a busy stretch of highway. Someone would probably just pull you out.

pheoxs
10-21-2015, 01:17 PM
No experience with any of those but in a pinch if you need to you can always use your floor mats for grip as well (Just be careful you dont launch them lol)

Darell_n
10-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Just get an AMA membership?

Its a busy stretch of highway. Someone would probably just pull you out.

Walking is quicker than AMA.

mr2mike
10-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Just a heads up, AMA and tow companies don't go outside city limits when weather is really bad, which is when you usually need them. A few days to recover your vehicle.

What do you drive? SUV, 4WD? Might as well figure out which ditch you like better while the weather is still warm.

Cars or anyone who doesn't think their SUV is unstoppable will be fine. Drove highway for years in brutal weather before the plows got to it. I like it better than city driving. No one around, room to steer out of skids, etc. Not once did I hit the ditch or even come close. More so worry about the blowing snow creating black ice.

If car is front wheel, winter tires, turn off traction control, leave stopping distance, moderate accel / braking.

This being said, always carried a shovel, extra clothes, can w/candle.
Some coarse rocks/gravel could help too possibly

realazy
10-21-2015, 04:02 PM
I've heard kitty litter works well, and much less messy than sand.

speedog
10-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Been driving the highways around here for over 35 years and have only hit the ditch once during the winter and that was to avoid crashing into several cars that had spun out in front of me - drive sensibly and you'll be okay.

CanmoreOrLess
10-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Winter tires.

duaner
10-21-2015, 09:09 PM
What I drive is what is listed to the left: '03 Altima 3.5SE.

I have "winter" tires (Nokian WRG3, which I'm not impressed with), a large duffel bag with two sets of everything, a shovel, and an AMA membership. And I do drive appropriate for the conditions. But it's the other drivers I don't trust; I've already seen many close calls.

These are just one of those things like insurance--you hope to not have to use it but it's that one time (or more) that you need it, that you're thankful you've got it. Plus I could potentially help someone else out, unless it's a pick-up because it probably deserves to be in the ditch.

Graham_A_M
10-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Sharp, marble sized gravel. The more pointy the better. You can get it at Burnco for very cheap. Sand is a waste of time, it doesn't grab onto ice well enough, much the same with your tires.

A tow rope, small (potentially collapsible) shovels can be of a big help too. Also, AndyL (his real name is Andy) is a tow truck driver that works in that area quite frequently. I can give you his number through PM if you want it. He knows his shit and is an awesome guy.

Also, I'd recommend crawling underneath your car and finding points that you can attach tow ropes onto. Such as the A arms front and back. It's imperative you don't wrap the straps around CV shafts too. The lower the better as you don't want the straps contacting the front and rear bumpers when pulling the car as that'll likely damage them.

AndyL
10-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Just a heads up, AMA and tow companies don't go outside city limits when weather is really bad, which is when you usually need them. A few days to recover your vehicle.

There are ama contractors outside the city too y'know...

But when towbans get put on - its only rcmp tows getting done regardless.

As long as you're after 530am Volker keeps the highway pretty decent.

zipdoa
10-22-2015, 06:41 AM
JRXcDYLNaRU

They have a sub-zero version if you want to use them mainly in winter.

Also, consider carrying a hi-lift with some recovery accessories. Lots of good info on ExPo about various recovery tools and practices.

http://expeditionportal.com/jack-of-all-trades-3/

http://dtmotorsports.us/images/products/detail/XT605HiLiftJackXtreme60black.jpg
http://expeditionportal.com/media/2014/09/08FALL_27_HILIFT13-1920x1446.jpg

ShermanEF9
11-06-2015, 10:01 PM
throw a tow strap in your vehicle. someone will pull you out.

NRGie
11-07-2015, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by duaner
What I drive is what is listed to the left: '03 Altima 3.5SE.

I have "winter" tires (Nokian WRG3, which I'm not impressed with), a large duffel bag with two sets of everything, a shovel, and an AMA membership. And I do drive appropriate for the conditions. But it's the other drivers I don't trust; I've already seen many close calls.

Nokian wrg3 are all-weather tires.

Get studded federal Himalayas and you're set

italianstylez
11-07-2015, 02:11 AM
I do the drive every morning it's usually fine ,
Best option if you drive when dark is cut through Okotoks to high river it may add 5-10 mins to your drive but the stretch between Okotoks turn off and alderside/high river is usually pretty dark and dead .
But I have done it for the last couple years only maybe 2 times have been sketchy and I was always doing the drive in a rear wheel drive BMW , 1 turbo 1 not.
This year I'll be driving a jacked up diesel. So if ya hit the ditch I can assist with a pull.