PDA

View Full Version : CPU Usage/Google Chrome

JordanEG6
10-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Chrome takes up ALOT of memory. I think everyone has that issue. But for me, it also ramps up my computer usage after awhile using it in one sitting.

This happens especially when I'm on Youtube, Google Music, having multiple tabs open and sometimes when UTorrent is running. It sometimes goes to 100% until I close Chrome. Firefox is no issue though, but I hate having to switch.

Also, a few times my computer has shutdown with a CPU over temp warning? Could it be the hardware? I just find it weird that the usage ramps up sporadically from time to time and causes the machine to shutdown. Especially when running Chrome.

killramos
10-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Well youtube and music would both use a fair amount of Proc power to decode compressed media, so that's not surprising. Odd that the same activities in FF don't produce the same results though.

100% CPU doesn't mean much any more with computers that can Turbo boost or shut down cores.

Though i think it sounds like there is something pretty wonky with your machine if it is shutting itself down over temps. Either really old or full of dust?

I have never had a computer that shut itself down due to heat. Not normal.

firebane
10-22-2015, 07:39 AM
If your CPU is complaining about temps then you need to be sorting that out first. Sounds like either you have a dirty cpu fan or inadequate thermal paste and possibly inadequate case cooling.

Regarding the memory issue... Welcome to Flash/HTML sites... they are horrid for memory usage.

3drian
10-22-2015, 08:23 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday, was working on excel, the document was not light but nothing crazy and had youtube playing the background. it got to the point where Excel was crashing due to no memory available, Closed Chrome and it was all good. weird

jonsey737
10-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Yup if it's shutting down over temp it's probably also throttling back to prevent any damage and thus running like garbage. I'd start there too.