PDA

View Full Version : Paver Stone Installation Questions.

oz388
10-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Hi guys, I'm planning to build a stone patio with 16"x16"x2" paver stones; I need your advises on the following questions:

1. What's the minimum required thickness for the base gravel in Alberta? I want to use 4 inches thick gravel is it enough for patio without heavy loads?

2. Is landscape fabric required under the patio? If so, shall I install the fabric between base gravel and top levelling sand layers or between native soil and base gravel layers?

Thanks in advance!

94CoRd
10-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but I don't think there is a minimum amount of gravel required? more so, I've never heard of this rule. You can throw your patio stones right on top of the grass and I don't think anyone would care; but it would look crappy.

Basically, dig out the sod and earth - your 4 inches would be more than enough. Back fill the area with crush, a mixture of gravel and sand. Depending on the size of the patio, if it's large, think about renting a compactor. It sure beats hand tamping. Compact the crush trying to keep it fairly level. Spray a bit of water on the crush as you compact. Not soaking wet, but enough to help with dust and 'curing' the gravel. As you get closer to grade, start adding more sand to the crush. This will let you fine tune the level of the patio. Hand tamping sometimes works better from here on. Once your comfortable with the level and base, add your stones. If uneven, add or remove sand to areas under the stone. Continue until the patio is complete. A large level will help to make sure adjacent stones are even with each other.

If you stick with the 4 inches, I wouldn't bother using landscape fabric. If you take your time and do it right, the patio stones will be snug, the sand and gravel will be compacted, and no weeds will grow. Worst case, a little spray of round up in the cracks every now and then.

Not sure where you're planning on getting the stones, but sounds like a trip to Burnco would be recommended. They would have everything you'd need and can offer some good advice.

My last thought would be - when are you planning to complete this? The yard projects I've completed are way more enjoyable in the spring / summer, when its nice out and you can take your time and do it right. I wouldn't want to be messing with patio stones in single digit weather.

sxtasy
10-23-2015, 08:57 AM
I've done commercial paver projects before, you definitely want a compacted base. Four inches should be fine. I would definitely use a compactor, and compact in lifts, ie. Lay down an inch or two then compact, compact again at four inches. Accurate prep work is key to a nice finished project, get close to grade and slopes with your compacted base, then use a 1 inch conduit as a screed guide for your sand layer. After you're done, use a polymer based sand to fill the joints. The polymer sand will stop weed growth.

codetrap
10-23-2015, 10:16 AM

oz388
10-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys for the reply, I think in US there is "recommendations" for the gravel thickness depends on climate zones. I heard 6 inch is recommended for cold climate but I want to dig and backfill less so am asking if 4 inch is still adequate.

oz388
10-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 94CoRd

My last thought would be - when are you planning to complete this? The yard projects I've completed are way more enjoyable in the spring / summer, when its nice out and you can take your time and do it right. I wouldn't want to be messing with patio stones in single digit weather.

I agree and am planning to do it in spring, however late fall (Sep -Oct) is perfect too considering there are less rain, heat and bugs.

spikerS
10-23-2015, 03:25 PM
AFAIK there is no code for depth in a residential application. But in my experiences, I wouldn't do and less than 4" 24x24 blocks.

The_Rural_Juror
10-23-2015, 06:14 PM
I think my installer did about 6" compacted and weeds still grow through it in a few places. Not sure how to stop it.