PDA

View Full Version : CBC article on increasing speed limits.

16hypen3sp
10-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Interesting article. Interesting comments.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/three-in-4-drivers-travel-above-the-speed-limit-on-canada-s-busiest-highway-1.3280254

Mibz
10-22-2015, 07:32 PM
B.C.'s move has been controversial in some circles, in part because Stone himself once had his licence revoked for speeding. I'd be pretty upset if a finance minister had declared bankruptcy but, for some strange reason, I'm okay with this.

Sugarphreak
10-22-2015, 07:34 PM

CanmoreOrLess
10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Start nailing distracted drivers with licence suspensions for years and the total loss of vehicle and I'll get behind raising speed limits. On the way out to Banff last month, I counted 36 drivers using their phones or texting. Another fucker was weaving down the Crowchild this morning looking at his phone. I could see it though his rear window.

codetrap
10-22-2015, 10:42 PM

OTown
10-22-2015, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I hate comments from so called "experts" like this

Safety isn't achieved by reducing the kinetic energy involved in a crash.... it is far safer to not have the crash in the first place.

I think beyond just found its newest Sir Isaac Newton... Please rewrite the laws of physics for us. :rofl:

btimbit
10-23-2015, 06:52 AM
I don't think Sugarphreak meant the comment is incorrect, just that it's missing the point

msommers
10-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
I don't think Sugarphreak meant the comment is incorrect, just that it's missing the point

So in a round about way he meant more knowledgeable and defensive drivers are more important and prevents a crash from taking place? In comparison to it doesn't matter if you're going 30km/h or 130km/h, the crash result is the same?

rage2
10-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Pretty sure he means that since everyone is driving at higher speeds and breaking the laws anyways, driving slow at speed limit will have a higher chance of getting into an accident in the first place because speed differential.

lilmira
10-23-2015, 08:13 AM
No one is arguing that a collision at higher speed will cause more damage. Why are collisions happening in the first place? Is it because of people driving too fast or some other reasons? If speed is the one and only factor, then sure, let's all ride donkeys now.

If someone gets stabbed, you don't see the headline saying that knifes are too sharp. Sharp knifes cut!

bart
10-23-2015, 04:52 PM
in europe semi's have limiters @ 90, yet the speed limit for cars is 130 or no speed limit

on 3 lane autobahns semis arent allowed in the left lane

where there is no speed limit, most are doing 160-180, very few drivers actually go 200+, and fewer still 300+ lol but it happens haha, so this talk about people will always go 10-20 faster than the speed limit is not true

i go over 200 on a daily basis and i can tell you from experience the biggest hazard is people pulling into the left lane to pass another car, otherwise if the conditions are good, you are paying attention and your car is technically safe there is no reason to crash no matter how fast you are driving

Sugarphreak
10-23-2015, 05:01 PM

Maxt
10-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by bart
so this talk about people will always go 10-20 faster than the speed limit is not true

You are correct, it's not true. I drove I-15 today, posted limit 80 mph, I set my cruise at 80 and nobody passed me for over an hour. I passed probably close to a 100 cars, most doing 70 ish. If the speed limits are a little higher than most people's comfort zone, the incidents of speeding is pretty much nil, amazing!

JRSC00LUDE
10-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Until law enforcement can figure out a better way to raise money they'll be the last to admit the truth - that speeding isn't dangerous in the vast majority of situations.

schocker
10-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

You are correct, it's not true. I drove I-15 today, posted limit 80 mph, I set my cruise at 80 and nobody passed me for over an hour. I passed probably close to a 100 cars, most doing 70 ish. If the speed limits are a little higher than most people's comfort zone, the incidents of speeding is pretty much nil, amazing!
It is the argument clueless people use like 30sunnyside and slowdownyyc. Speed limits are 50 and then people do police let you do 10 over so residential speed limits are 60!!!!!

I generally speed within reason paying full attention, driving for conditions and knowing the limits of my vehicle.. I am so dangeroussss

rx7_turbo2
10-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by schocker

It is the argument clueless people use like 30sunnyside and slowdownyyc. Speed limits are 50 and then people do police let you do 10 over so residential speed limits are 60!!!!!

I generally speed within reason paying full attention, driving for conditions and knowing the limits of my vehicle.. I am so dangeroussss
Anyone who drives on a regular basis has experienced exactly this. I've used John Laurie before as an example. For 30+ years the speed limit has been 70, for 30+ years everyone has driven 80. Raise the limit to 80 what will everyone drive? 80. Artificially low speed limits accomplish nothing but generate revenue.

My first couple days in California are always spent recalibrating to reasonable speed limits :rofl:

16hypen3sp
10-23-2015, 09:54 PM
So what do Beyonders want to see for speed limits?

120? 130 on QEII/TransCanada?

I think 125 is a good number for QEII/TransCanada (before entering mountainous region.) I also think seasonal/variable speed limits would be a good idea for those highways.

All other undivided Primary 1-216 Series/Primary 500-986 Series (AKA Secondary Highways)/county highways should see 110.

Maxt
10-23-2015, 09:58 PM
130 day, 120 night...

schocker
10-24-2015, 06:44 AM
I would be fine with 120 and lower to 110 when you get into the dumbdumb congestion areas on deerfoot.

Crowchild should be at least 90 though north of the stadium.
Lots of other roads I feel should move from 60-70 but I think it is beacuse of the crosswalks perhaps? (nosehill, symons valley rd, beddington, sarcee by beacon hill, shag north of stoney)

Nitro5
10-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Also I think if there is a sidewalk on a road it limits the speed

max_boost
10-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Until law enforcement can figure out a better way to raise money they'll be the last to admit the truth - that speeding isn't dangerous in the vast majority of situations. bingo lol

codetrap
10-24-2015, 10:12 AM

theken
10-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Qe2 should be 130, I would still set my cruise at 120 as that's where my speed/fuel consumption is best for me. Plus you do 2km a minute so distance to where you are going is half the km in minutes

blairtruck
10-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by theken
Qe2 should be 130, I would still set my cruise at 120 as that's where my speed/fuel consumption is best for me. Plus you do 2km a minute so distance to where you are going is half the km in minutes
i basically always do 120 cause of the 2km per minute easy calculations of eta lol

rage2
10-24-2015, 12:47 PM
I do 130 because that's the typical flow of traffic plus I'm really good at math.

msommers
10-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I do 130 because that's the typical flow of traffic plus I'm really good at math.

Typical flow of traffic where :rofl:

thetransporter
10-24-2015, 06:32 PM
how would this work in Calgary when people drive 40km/h in 80k zones (clear dry non congested conditions)

schocker
10-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
how would this work in Calgary when people drive 40km/h in 80k zones (clear dry non congested conditions)
Zgkawcew2u8
:burnout:

01RedDX
10-24-2015, 07:47 PM

schocker
10-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I encountered two different "drivers" with "new driver" signs doing half the posted speed limit while in the NE today.

Like, what the Christ.
Are you trying to impede my learningggggg
First of all, the ones with an entire 8.5x11 page on their window blocking half the visibility should all be ticketed, and if you aren't comfortable doing the speed limit stay on the side roadssssss :banghead:

Mibz
10-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by schocker
First of all, the ones with an entire 8.5x11 page on their window blocking half the visibility should all be ticketed Blame our retarded Government for forcing people to make their own signs and put them in their back windows instead of investing in Learner stickers/magnets like the rest of the world.

OTown
10-26-2015, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I suppose he is right... if your plan is to go out and get into an accident, by all means, do it at the slowest speed possible :D

My plan is to not get into an accident at all, it just seems safer

Well funny thing about that 99.9% people don't get into their car and think "hey i'm going to get into an accident today!!! I'd better slow down". That's why its called an 'accident'. Its not planned. It can happen any time.

So yes, one day you might think you are home free but if some idiot decided to turn in front of you id rather be doing 50km/h (and walk away unharmed), than the I 'think' I should be going 80km/h (and get seriously injured).

But hey, if you have a real life 'pause' button and can avoid all the collisions you want then be my guest.

rx7_turbo2
10-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by OTown

Well funny thing about that 99.9% people don't get into their car and think "hey i'm going to get into an accident today!!! I'd better slow down". That's why its called an 'accident'. Its not planned. It can happen any time.

So yes, one day you might think you are home free but if some idiot decided to turn in front of you id rather be doing 50km/h (and walk away unharmed), than the I 'think' I should be going 80km/h (and get seriously injured).

But hey, if you have a real life 'pause' button and can avoid all the collisions you want then be my guest.

Um, OK, do you find that often people are laughing at jokes you just don't "get"

killramos
10-26-2015, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Blame our retarded Government for forcing people to make their own signs and put them in their back windows instead of investing in Learner stickers/magnets like the rest of the world.

http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Magnet-Reflective-Black-Yellow/dp/B004O5DSOM

No one is forcing you to make your own :dunno:

The L / N program in BC is the biggest joke i have ever seen in my life. Not sure why anyone would be supportive of the stupid stickers.

example of how well it works:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/icbc-issues-new-novice-driver-signs-amid-plague-of-thefts/article582405/

schocker
10-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Blame our retarded Government for forcing people to make their own signs and put them in their back windows instead of investing in Learner stickers/magnets like the rest of the world.

I was thinking about this this morning, and I figured out a solution. Based on the skill of student/learners/new drivers they can just stick one of these on their cars...

http://www.malverntaxidirectory.co.uk/resources/Fotolia_12331043_XS.jpg
Doesn't block the window at all :rofl:

Mibz
10-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by killramos
http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Magnet-Reflective-Black-Yellow/dp/B004O5DSOM

No one is forcing you to make your own :dunno:

The L / N program in BC is the biggest joke i have ever seen in my life. Not sure why anyone would be supportive of the stupid stickers.

example of how well it works:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/icbc-issues-new-novice-driver-signs-amid-plague-of-thefts/article582405/ When the fuck did you start making sense?

OTown
10-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Um, OK, do you find that often people are laughing at jokes you just don't "get"

Ah I see... I could sense a bit of humor in your original post but this is the internet so you never know.

killramos
10-26-2015, 11:03 AM
When the fuck did you start making sense?

I'm not sure how I should take that / sarcasm meter broken?

Everyone has to grow up some time

:rofl:

94boosted
10-26-2015, 12:06 PM

where there is no speed limit, most are doing 160-180, very few drivers actually go 200+, and fewer still 300+ lol but it happens haha,

That's because in most European countries in order to get a license you have to be able to do more than simply open a cereal box. That plus better designed roadways and mandatory vehicle inspections.

I drove in a few different European countries this summer for a few weeks and was astounded by how much better the drivers were.

in europe semi's have limiters @ 90, yet the speed limit for cars is 130 or no speed limit

on 3 lane autobahns semis arent allowed in the left lane

Even 'Murica has different speed limits for trucks vs. cars on interstates.

I'd personally like to see 110km/h Max for Trucks (passing only allowed in designated passing zones) and 130km/h Daytime limit for everyone else on roads like the QEII.

HiTempguy1
10-26-2015, 01:11 PM
One of the few times I'll say "follow BC's lead", their traffic laws make sense :thumbsup:

Additionally, having been all over BC continuously for the past 3 weeks, west coasters are great drivers... interior BCers suck though (Alberta transplants?)

16hypen3sp
10-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
west coasters are great drivers

You're kidding right?

killramos
10-28-2015, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

You're kidding right?

Thank god someone else pointed that out :nut:

HiTempguy1
10-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

You're kidding right?

Not in the slightest. Around Vancouver and up to Whistler, much better drivers than anywhere in Alberta. Courteous but aggressive, hell, if its a 90 zone everyone is doing 120, and the slow assholes are shockingly in the slow lane.

g-m
10-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I've noticed that too

ExtraSlow
10-28-2015, 08:57 AM
I don't mind aggressive drivers. It's the dithering clueless idiots that bother me.
I enjoyed driving in LA last time I was down. Folks are pretty intense, but they aren't fucking around, and they'll let you in if you are serious.

I always drive through Van-city, as I don't enjoy the town, but I can't recall thinking the drivers were that bad on the freeways.

eglove
10-28-2015, 08:58 AM
I'd have to agree as well - Alberta drivers are assholes, not courteous at all and they think they own the road.

HiTempguy1
10-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by eglove
I'd have to agree as well - Alberta drivers are assholes, not courteous at all and they think they own the road.

Exactly. You can be both aggressive and courteous. As a previous poster mentioned, if you aren't fucking around and you own a lane change/merger, people on the coast gladly let you in. But if you are a waffling asshole, then f*&k you.

This doesn't include interior BC though, holy shit those are some bad drivers (mostly silver bushes driving 30 under the limit on single lane roads).

Canmorite
10-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

That's because in most European countries in order to get a license you have to be able to do more than simply open a cereal box. That plus better designed roadways and mandatory vehicle inspections.

I drove in a few different European countries this summer for a few weeks and was astounded by how much better the drivers were.

I did a mock driver training/licensing course in Germany and it was rigourous. Have to make the car spin out, simulated ice driving, drive a slalom course quickly, skid-pad tests, high speed driving (140km/h+), night driving, etc etc. The licensing tests here are a joke in comparison.

frizzlefry
10-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

I did a mock driver training/licensing course in Germany and it was rigourous. Have to make the car spin out, simulated ice driving, drive a slalom course quickly, skid-pad tests, high speed driving (140km/h+), night driving, etc etc. The licensing tests here are a joke in comparison.

Canada's worst driver started a new season on Monday. There are two guys from Calgary, one of which says he never had to learn to reverse to get his license.

Sugarphreak
10-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Mibz
10-28-2015, 12:29 PM
They wouldn't let me say "CBC" haha. They also cut like half my notes. I tried to be as unbiased as possible but they cut out all the arguments I had defending the status quo. Ah well.

OTown
10-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

In my opinion this should be mandatory across the board here. People treat driving as a right but in reality its a priviledge that we (north amerticans) take for granted