PDA

View Full Version : Buying used car from dealer, negotiating tips?

cidley69
10-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Looking to buy newer used car.

Been reading about depreciation, apparently it's 20% when driven off lot new, then 12% yearly on average.

Not sure my point there other than to ask if this seems right based on your experience?

If looking at 2013-14 listed at $30k, how much wiggle room would you say dealer has to lower that price?

Is asking them to sell for that price tax in fairly common, or could they do even better?

With used, any best time of year to buy?

Any other negotiating/haggle tips?

FraserB
10-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Get all the paperwork from the dealer; inspection they are required to do (this expires after a while), receipts for any work they said they did. Have your own inspection done and compare the results against the inspection. My mechanic found a significant issue not listed on the out of date inspection report and I shaved another $1k off the price. Don't commit to anything right when they offer and don't be afraid to switch sales people if you think you're getting taken for a ride.

I bought in mid-December, so probably right near their month end and year end.

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2015, 12:00 PM
As said above, look at the associated paperwork first, make sure it includes a complete inspection with the reconditioning done. Any dealer can show an inspection, what's important is that they reconditioned the vehicle. Once all the paperwork checks out, including the carproof, then have a look online. Compare the car you're buying to everything else out there. How is the car you're looking at priced compared to the rest of the market? If it's thousand higher then submit your offer accordingly. If it's legitimately a good deal then buy it and enjoy it :).

rage2
10-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Google the vin and see if the car was purchased privately by the dealer so you have an idea what their cost would be. Cars aren't exactly moving off dealer lots right now in Alberta so there's lots of room to haggle.

BensonTT
10-24-2015, 01:14 PM
TnT Honda tried to sell me a 2011 Honda Accord with 80,000km for almost 23k.. Said they can knock it down $500. LOL :rofl:

cidley69
10-24-2015, 01:18 PM
The whole business model of them trying to screw customer as much as possible is irritating to deal with.

Like the best you can hope for is getting only moderately scammed.

msommers
10-24-2015, 01:22 PM
And then pay GST

spikerS
10-24-2015, 04:45 PM
just do your research, and take your time on any purchase.

NEVER leave a deposit.

Always negotiate your price based on "out the door". If that number changes, state quite clearly that you will walk.

and compare your price to what you can find online, especially if it still has remaining warranty.

relyt92
10-24-2015, 05:12 PM
My experiences is figure out the price I'm willing to pay all in out the door and just give them that number from the get go, if they can make it happen I'll sign if not I'll walk. I walked over $300 on a car before based on how they acted about it.

revelations
10-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Your best bet is to get a handle of the price of a vehicle based on the used market (Kijiji) - knowing this you can walk in expecting to pay for the markup, but not take it up the bum either.

Eg. similar vehicle for 20k on kijiji, it might be listed for 22k at dealer - but if dealer is asking 25k then you can walk or haggle down further.

The DUMBEST thing to do is to walk into a new/used dealer and

a) not know what you want
b) give them a deposit
c) let them talk you into something (pressure)

danno
10-24-2015, 07:12 PM
sort of related, but dealers always seem to want $500 to start negotiating, well dodge did and blackfoot did. i did this as i knew i was getting the deal done anyway. it bothers me when i want to haggle to get to a price and i'm not sure if they can get it there. what's the solution to not give them money? i have the fear of not getting it back, my solution is to come in with 500 cash and it doesn't leave the table. maybe i'm paranoid.

relyt92
10-24-2015, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by danno
sort of related, but dealers always seem to want $500 to start negotiating, well dodge did and blackfoot did. i did this as i knew i was getting the deal done anyway. it bothers me when i want to haggle to get to a price and i'm not sure if they can get it there. what's the solution to not give them money? i have the fear of not getting it back, my solution is to come in with 500 cash and it doesn't leave the table. maybe i'm paranoid. Refuse to give any money until papers are signed. If they don't agree to that find another dealer.

NoPulp
10-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Don't let them push you around and don't be scared to walk.

I showed an interest in a truck on a lot, took it for a test drive, then talked some money. They were trying to rush through things as fast as they could to get me to put some money down. I reviewed the offer and noticed they were only going to give me $1000 on my trade in since they removed the sales price... I immediately back out. They got pretty upset when my interest left, I told them I wasn't happy with the trade in offer and they started arguing with me.

Also, don't show how you feel about a vehicle. If they can tell you have your heart set on something they're going to destroy you.

Maxt
10-24-2015, 07:31 PM
The creepy 2 hand handshake is a deal killer for me.

ducaudi
10-24-2015, 07:38 PM
What if you know what you want, but you need to have it specifically ordered? Any haggle rooms here?

cidley69
10-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Anyone have access to black book prices?

Jlude
10-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Do your research and don't buy unless you're happy. A good deal is when both parties are satisfied... that doesn't apply when buying a vehicle from a dealership :rofl: