PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever call CPS to report a drunk driver?

dezmarez
10-24-2015, 11:22 AM
I experienced this last night.
We were on our way to the late Jim Jefferies show last night and saw a truck driving in the middle of the road, swerving back and forth and braking randomly.
When we passed him you could clearly tell he was intoxicated.
Called 911, gave them make, model and plate number and the road he turned onto.
I received a call about 20 minutes later from a constable saying they had pulled the guy over and had him in custody.
He thanked me for calling as the guy clearly couldn't operate his vehicle.

Anyone else experience this?
It was fairly easy to do, and it got a drunk idiot off of the road.

Darell_n
10-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Yes, with the same results.

snowcat
10-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Yes, and again, same results.

My first thoughts were - don't want to waste police time, make a mistake and they're not drunk - but once they drove into the ditch for the third time I thought it was time.

loweg
10-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Yep, coming home from hockey one night on glenmore.... It was snowy , and the guy was going 40. Banked off the Median 3 times. Called in and followed him at a distance despite being told not to. He ended up parking in the parking lot across from wise wood high school as the police showed up . He was parked no more the 1 minute and was fast asleep when the cops knocked on the window.

Police appreciated me sticking with it despite being told not to as I was a more credible witness at that point. He blew like 3.5 times the limit or something . And said no words to the cops at all. Just nodded and when put in cop car, started screaming at me "fuck you". At the top of his lungs.

EK 2.0
10-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n

Yes, with the same results.

rage2
10-24-2015, 12:46 PM
Yup. Same results.

Unknown303
10-24-2015, 12:53 PM
http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1920x1280/o_r/rat_6.jpg

Cos
10-24-2015, 12:59 PM

D'z Nutz
10-24-2015, 01:14 PM
I almost did once.

Saw a guy weaving in and out of his lane and driving well under the speed limit. I noticed he kept ducking his head between the seats every few seconds so I drove alongside him to see what was going on. He wasn't drunk. He was eating sunflower seeds and was spitting out the shells between or into the other seat. Every time he leaned over to do it, his car would swerve over cause he was holding onto the steering wheel for leverage.

Idiot.

CompletelyNumb
10-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Yes. Car was weaving back and forth. Bounced off a couple medians. Crossing two lanes. Called 911. Gave all the relevant information. Followed all the way from around crossiron to glenmore where he took the exit, never saw a cop. Never got a call back. :dunno:

Dumbass17
10-24-2015, 04:04 PM
I have. But the lady wasn't drunk. The cop called me and said she was fine but claimed to be tired.
She was all over all 3 lanes and both shoulders on highway too. I've never seen anything like it. It was like she was asleep. And she had 3 kids in the car to boot

macman64
10-24-2015, 05:08 PM
I have done this a number of times. My rule is when you swerve from your lane 3 times in a short period you get a call.

Asian_defender
10-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by macman64
I have done this a number of times. My rule is when you swerve from your lane 3 times in a short period you get a call.

:werd:

gwill
10-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Saw the same drunk over multiple days in same area... Called the police both times but never got an update on it. At one point the driver stopped to take a piss so I pulled over to tell him he shouldn't be driving. He laughed at me while yelling and swearing and continued on his way..

Sugarphreak
10-24-2015, 06:55 PM

KrisYYC
10-24-2015, 08:02 PM
3 times this summer alone. All on Southbound Elbow Dr. at around 3am on Friday or Saturday nights while driving home from late shift at work. I'm wondering if they take Elbow because of smaller police presence vs MacLeod?

legendboy
10-24-2015, 08:08 PM
I have done this many times :thumbsup:

One time leaving the speakeasy I saw these 2 old guys carrying this young girl who was completely messed up. Called the cops gave the description and received a call back thanking me

Tik-Tok
10-24-2015, 08:18 PM
You guys are lucky. My only phone call to report a DUI was met with me facepalming while driving.

It took 5 minutes for the call center to take all my information, and all the information about the driver, and the DUI guy was LONNNG gone.

Stupid questions too.

CPS - "Describe the driver"
Me - "Uh, it's pitch black out, and I was behind him, all I saw was his car swerving all over the road"
CPS - "Are there any weapons involved?"
Me - "Uh, again, it's pitch black out, and I was behind him, all I saw was his car swerving all over the road, I would consider that a weapon."
CPS - "Are you still behind him?"
Me - "No, he turned off about 4 minutes ago, you know, when I first told you he turned off onto Memorial, but you ignored me so you could ask me this stupid questionnaire."

frizzlefry
10-24-2015, 08:34 PM
I reported one once. Some guy was all over deerfoot, rubbed the median once pretty hard. Had my wife (passenger) call in. We ended up following him as we were headed the same direction. He cut 2 people off, hit his brakes numerous times, drifted out of lane numerous times ect. So we called. We were still behind him when an unmarked yanked him over after tailing him for a bit. So we pulled over too in case they wanted a statement or whatever. Guy was sober. Cop said he was having an argument with his wife over speakerphone and was covered in MacDonalds. Figured he got his big mack all over himself when he hit the median.

Pre distracted driving laws...not sure whatever happened to him.

Go4Long
10-24-2015, 09:07 PM
turned in a lady swerving all over deerfoot. Followed her until cops showed up (took a little while). Turned out she had a kid in the back and was HAMMERED...my buddy and I were both subpoenaed to testify as witnesses, then got called the day before the court date to say she'd changed her plea.

Mitsu3000gt
10-24-2015, 09:44 PM
I did a while back. Pretty much the same, called 911, followed at a safe distance while continually relaying his position to the police (we happened to be going the same direction for a while), then continued on my way. Police caught him, then called me to the scene shortly after for a formal statement. Guy was so hammered when I got there he was fully passed out, face plastered against the window inside the cop car.

They told me it was the right thing to do and encouraged me to do the same thing in the future. Thankfully I haven't had to do it since.

Buster
10-25-2015, 12:01 AM
When I was in high school, I worked part time at a movie store, and I would get multiple guys on Friday and Saturdays nights. People coming in drunk to rent movies or whatever. We'd call it in, and the have some "computer trouble" when they were checking out, until we say the cruiser roll into the parking lot. Most guys barely got the door of their care open.

It was funny watching them come the next day to pick up their cars from the lot, if I happened ot be working.

brucebanner
10-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Was behind someone all over the road heading north of Red Deer on 2a. Called rcmp and continued on home, got a call 5 minutes later stating it was an elderly couple from out of time with a flat tire.

They thanked me for the call in and encouraged to do the same in the future.

SmAcKpOo
10-28-2015, 02:09 PM
I followed a guy driving a stolen F150 who was doing burnouts and weaving all over the place. Police ended up letting him go because they didn't want to engage in a police chase scenario. I assume HAWCS had him or something.

sexualbanana
10-28-2015, 02:21 PM
I've done it once. Never got a call back when I was in the wrong lane when they decided to turn off. But it looked like 2 or 3 other cars called them in and followed the car, so maybe I wasn't needed.

OTown
10-28-2015, 02:46 PM
I called in a guy who almost tboned me on hwy 2... nearly killed my girlfriend and I. The guy didnt even stop at one of those rural interchanges, and I had to powerslide around him to avoid him. Then the guy proceeded to drive from one shoulder to the other weaving in and out at 150km/h... All that to say that it turned out the vehicle was freshly stolen and the guy was high on meth and caught by police shortly after.

bspot
10-28-2015, 03:13 PM
I've done it twice. One guy on the highway that was attempting to hit several vehicles and driving extremely erratically. They asked me to come to Red Deer to be a witness, but he plead guilty before I had to go.

Once in town, giant flat bed hitting curbs on both sides of memorial. The sent cops, but he had pulled off and parked somewhere before they made it.

FraserB
10-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Tried to report stuff twice.

First time got an earful about talking on my phone while driving. Second time got into an argument about which street I was on and my direction of travel. Not worth my time or hassle anymore.

gogreen
10-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Not CPS, but I have called 911 a couple of times to report erratic driving.

The first incident was when we lived in Red Deer. We were northbound on Hwy 2 just south of town, driving home at night, when we met an oncoming vehicle travelling south in the northbound lanes. My wife called it in from her cell and shortly after we got home we got a call back on the landline from the RCMP, who had picked up the driver.

In the most recent incident we were heading from Edmonton back to Calgary, again at night. We stopped at Gasoline Alley in Red Deer for a bit then got back on the highway. At the merge I almost got sideswiped by a Suburban that was drifting into my lane. After following at a distance I noticed he was swerving in and out of his lane, wasn't maintaining a consistent speed, and almost made contact with a few more cars. At that point I had my wife call it in.

She actually called back a few more times to update 911 on the location, as he was swerving all the way and cutting off multiple vehicles. They said they had received several calls and were aware of the situation. I thought for sure he'd get picked up at Airdrie, but damned if he didn't make it all the way to McKnight unscathed. Never heard anything back on that one.

vengie
10-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Several times, when I was a bartender and you couldn't convince someone to take a cab you had to legally report it or you could be held liable in the event an accident occurred.

Its actually quite sad how many times you have to try and convince someone to take a damn cab when they are in no state to drive.

BensonTT
10-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Snitches gets stitches lol

Kloubek
10-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Actually, this morning I was behind someone weaving in and out of traffic (but not really speeding), tailgating, and straddling two lanes for several kilometers.

When I finally passed by I glanced over and she was a brown as shit housewife so I chalked it up to another contribution to my racial and gender profiling.

As for calling in a drunk driver, no, I never have. But if I saw someone obviously drunk I'd have no qualms about doing so. It seems weird calling 911 for this, but it's the only way they will be able to get the person off the road in time. And ultimately, driving so drunk it is obvious to everyone is a fatal accident just waiting to happen, so it IS 911-worthy.