PDA

View Full Version : Water heaters and warrenty -help please

jabjab
10-26-2015, 09:36 AM
My house is only about 6 years old and the past 5 months I've been having an issue with my hot water heater.

I called a service guy and he replaced the controller but its started to act up again. I've lost trust in this plumber and and don't want to call him a 3rd time.

I'm wondering if my tank has any sort of warrenty ? The brand is standard select but I can't seem to find anything on them on the internet

any idea on what I should do?

Tik-Tok
10-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Just buy a new one. Builder grade anything is crap, and after 6 years you're on borrowed time for it to start leaking, or worse, burst mid-winter, especially if you've never drained the debris on a monthly basis like you should be doing, or have never changed the anode rod.

Get a quality replacement with a 10 year warranty, and replace it in 9.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Calgary plumbers will say this is a totally normal lifespan for a hot water tank.

Do a search, there is a pretty decent troubleshooting thread somewhere here. It included me getting schooled on thermocouples.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2015, 10:12 AM
Also, if its a standard 40 gallon size, replacement units are cheap as hell.

88CRX
10-26-2015, 10:25 AM
You can usually check warrantee on the manufacturers website if you have the model #.

C_Dave45
10-26-2015, 10:26 AM
What's the "issue"? Runs out of hot water too soon? Have you checked the dip tube?