PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Tank Issue

BokCh0y
10-26-2015, 10:35 AM
I think the thermostat's toast on my hot water tank. Reason is because the water in morning, first thing is luke warm and when there is actually hot water, there isn't much. So i've been confined to cold ass showers which sucks. Seems like the water isn't maintaining its set temp over night.

Sooooo....i need some service done on my hot water tank. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

drtoohotty1
10-26-2015, 10:37 AM
could also be your dip tube has snapped off, how old is the tank?

spike98
10-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
could also be your dip tube has snapped off, how old is the tank?

I would also go this route. Replacement is $10 and if the tank is installed right it a 10 min fix with a pipe wrench. Things get more complicated when the inlet/outlet are hard piped however.

BokCh0y
10-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Oh fock...that totally makes sense. How I would I check this myself and replace myself?

spike98
10-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Its the cold water inlet where the dip tube is. If you have braided connections to/from the tank from the hard piping then it would be as simple as:

- shutting the water heater off
- blocking in the inlet water
- depressurizing the tank by opening a hot water tap somewhere
- disconnecting the inlet line and pulling the tube.

If you do not have braided lines, you will likely have to install one on the cold side. A line with a sharkbite connector would be the easiest to install. You would have to cut the inlet side copper pipe to make room for the braided line installation. It would look like this in the end:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Scoobmaster/P1010020.JPG

mr2mike
10-26-2015, 11:11 AM
FYI: The sharkbite connection needs to be a certain distance from the hot line off the tank. I forget the exact distance but the sticker on it would tell you. Not a big deal but a heads up.

I still don't like the sharkbite connections for this. Even the braided lines. I would still solder those up.

BokCh0y
10-26-2015, 11:18 AM
I watched a vid on youtube, and thanks guys for the info. I'm willing to try this myself, but I'm sure I don't have braided lines, therefore would need to cut the pipes....may ahve to get a plummer in there.

Recommendations on a plummer as a plan b?

C_Dave45
10-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
I watched a vid on youtube, and thanks guys for the info. I'm willing to try this myself, but I'm sure I don't have braided lines, therefore would need to cut the pipes....may ahve to get a plummer in there.

Recommendations on a plummer as a plan b?
(LOL...same discussion in the thread above/below this one)

Even if it's not braided, it still attaches with a threaded coupling.

I replaced mine with a braided Sharkbite. Took 10 minutes. I can do sweat fittings no problem, but the existing water in the copper makes for very difficult soldering, as it won't let the copper heat up enough.

BokCh0y
10-27-2015, 12:48 PM
I took a look last night, have copper pipes. Need plummer. Any recommendations?