PDA

View Full Version : Couch opinions (Couch w/chaise section)

mr2mike
10-26-2015, 12:44 PM
It seems like everyone has a couch with the chaise lounge section to it. How does everyone like it?
Is it your ONLY seating option? It would be for me. So thinking could be awkward with company over, etc.

I personally am thinking of still going with a 3 cushion couch and a love seat. Keeping a side table in between in the corner.

But would like some opinions.

Seth1968
10-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Forget the couch.

Go with some single recliners with cup and munchies holders.

killramos
10-26-2015, 12:50 PM
I have one on my main floor and love it. Coffee table in the middle as well. I have had 5 people sitting on it before and it wasnt awkward.. Even watched a movie.

You will appreciate the ability to stretch out on the lounge after a long day at work.

:dunno:

ExtraSlow
10-26-2015, 01:21 PM
The part with no back is useful for feet only. It's popular because it looks neat, not because it is useful.

BrknFngrs
10-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The part with no back is useful for feet only. It's popular because it looks neat, not because it is useful.

:werd:

This is why I went for a traditional sectional instead; all of the "stretch out" benefits of a chaise with none of the hassle.

mr2mike
10-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys, this is useful.

ExtraSlow: willing to part with your cinammon couch? Saw it in your mls listing. Looks good.

Swank
10-26-2015, 02:07 PM
The chaise part of our couch is the least used part, but mostly due to it having the worst viewing angle to the TV. The g/f will often go to it for a power nap, I'll kick back on it occasionally for surfing on my phone. I think it's a nice addition/option to have, looks good too IMO.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

ExtraSlow: willing to part with your cinammon couch? Saw it in your mls listing. Looks good.
it is the best looking thing Ikea ever sold. About eight years old, and scratched to fuck from when I lent it out to a house that has cats. Yours for $3900.:poosie:

Mitsu3000gt
10-26-2015, 03:56 PM
My main couch (only one facing the TV) has a chaise and I love it. Everyone wants to have their feet up when watching TV. It's the most comfortable spot on the couch for sure. It's still a 3 person couch with or without the chaise, but the chaise makes it way more comfortable and gives me more options. Also if I'm lying down across the entire couch with my head at the chaise end, it's like having a little table right in front of you to put stuff haha. Would definitely buy one again as a primary couch, but if I was pairing it with a love seat and a single chair for the more traditional look in a sitting room, I would just get a regular couch. For comfort and function though in a TV room or whatever, I much prefer the chaise. You can also just buy one additional "normal" cushion and take the chaise away any time you want if you ever change your mind, or need a different setup for a particular situation (most chaises are just a regular couch but with a foot rest under a longer cushion)

mr2mike
10-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Yes I see some have the option to remove it, etc. Others are built and can't be modified.

it is the best looking thing Ikea ever sold.
I dunno, those horse meat ball look mighty good.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2015, 05:03 PM
The are tasty too, nearly as good as the lingonberry fountain pop.

Dumbass17
10-26-2015, 06:58 PM
I think it depends on your living room configuration...

Seth1968
10-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
I think it depends on your living room configuration...

Ya, those geodesic domes are a bitch for square furnture:)

Tik-Tok
10-26-2015, 07:39 PM
It's popular because it looks neat, not because it is useful.

Its actually pretty useful for other things, asides from seating.

Im not super fond of ours as a main couch, but we have a smaller living room, so it restricts the number of configurarations we can arrange our furniture in.

Personally I prefer sectionals for family room/basements, and normal couch/love seat/chair combo for living rooms.

Lex350
10-26-2015, 08:33 PM
3 seat sofa with an Eames Chair/ottoman........that's the way to go.

theken
10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
We have a huge one from Ashley furniture, 2 recliners and a chaise, which also reclines, a corner section and a non reclining chair, 2 arm rests, it is massive, each chair can fit 2 people on comfortably, I absolutely love the chaise, but my dog sleeps on it so I Jose the chair with a better viewing angle. I would do it again.

masoncgy
10-27-2015, 09:49 AM
I ordered one for the living room of our new house solely due to the fact that we have a bunch of windows in the one corner and we put the sectional across from those windows so everyone gets a look at the view... and the 'no back' portion of the chaise does not 'block in' the room from the one side.

It actually works perfectly... :thumbsup:

bspot
10-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Ottomans are way better. I like the gap between the ottoman and the couch so I can sit down with my hands full without having to climb up on the chaise. If you want to, pull it right tight to the couch.

Sectionals or couches with ottomans seem far more useful to me. Plus then if I don't want to lie down I don't feel like I have to cozy up to the person in the outside seat and sit in the middle. I like sitting on the outside so I have the arm.

mr2mike
10-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Leaning more towards an Ottoman but a large, padded one (not the typical long and skinny rectangle ones) as it gives me more options and flexibility if I want to move it to one side or another.

I could have totally turned this into a Mar-style thread. Missed my chance!

jwslam
10-27-2015, 12:56 PM
There's the Chaise sectionals that come with a padded ottoman so when you put them together you get the size of a full sized bed. Maybe good for guests?

https://johncootesfurniture.com.au/cache/images/made/images/products/lounges/leather%20lounges/Tempo_Corner_+_Ottoman_b-2592_601_400.jpg