PDA

View Full Version : Where can I rent a small class 1 trailer?

Mar
10-27-2015, 11:17 AM
I need to move a mattress and box spring, I was thinking I could just hook it up to the hitch receiver I installed on the Veloster. It's a 1-1/4 inch receiver with a maximum tongue weight of 100 pounds and tow weight of 1000 pounds. I called Airdrie Trailer and they rent a 500 pound trailer which would work perfectly but it's $185 per day and I was wondering if there was anything cheaper.

haggis88
10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
U-Haul

Their stuff is shabby and i wouldn't trust one of their vans/trucks, but a little utility trailer from there would do fine for about $35 or something like that

None of your friends have trucks?

Graham_A_M
10-27-2015, 11:43 AM
I'd recommend Greenwood trailer rentals.

http://www.greenwoodrentals.ca/

Their a far better alternative to Uhaul. I've used them before and I was extremely impressed. I rented a utility trailer to haul my bike back (long story) but with ramps to load it, and everything it came up to $25/24 hours. Much like uhaul they also have a wide variety of hitches, balls and electrical connectors at their facility so it's all you need really.

Mar
10-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by haggis88
U-Haul

Their stuff is shabby and i wouldn't trust one of their vans/trucks, but a little utility trailer from there would do fine for about $35 or something like that

None of your friends have trucks?
I'd rather carry it myself than use U-Haul.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I'd recommend Greenwood trailer rentals.

http://www.greenwoodrentals.ca/

Their a far better alternative to Uhaul. I've used them before and I was extremely impressed. I rented a utility trailer to haul my bike back (long story) but with ramps to load it, and everything it came up to $25/24 hours. Much like uhaul they also have a wide variety of hitches, balls and electrical connectors at their facility so it's all you need really.
I called them and their lightest open flat-deck is 1000 pounds. That's already at the maximum for my car, it's made of steel and I'll need something like aluminum to lighten the weight.

jacky4566
10-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Small flat deck is an odd ball. Your best option is to get a small utility trailer and some straps.

Mar
10-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Oh yes, I'm not concerned with the type of trailer, I'm just looking for anything that will work. I'm transporting a mattress and boxspring before Sunday.

C_Dave45
10-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Why don't you borrow or rent a pickup truck?

spikerS
10-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Why don't you borrow or rent a pickup truck?

Exactly.

I am not sure why everything needs to be such a big production with you Mar, but jeesus fuck, you really do earn and deserve your reputation.

Just go to Home depot and rent one of their vans for like $35.

or there is this too...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/360578/for-rent-truck-part-deux/

firebane
10-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

Exactly.

I am not sure why everything needs to be such a big production with you Mar, but jeesus fuck, you really do earn and deserve your reputation.

or there is this too...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/360578/for-rent-truck-part-deux/

Home Depot won't let you use their vehicles for these purposes. You have to be buying stuff from them first.

I'm sure if Mar didn't make a big stink about a lot of things someone on here would help easily for some gas money.. I know I would if my truck was on the road.

Mar
10-27-2015, 01:12 PM
You're right, a truck rental could work. I was interested in the trailer so I'd have the information the next time we need to make a run to the dump but this specific scenario would work with a truck.

I don't make any kind of stink about things. I don't think so.

C_Dave45
10-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

Exactly.

Well a van would be pretty tricky to fit a box spring into, if it's a Queen size or larger.

Van opening is 49" high. A Queen box is 60 x 80. Not sure if that would fit through the doors, even diagonally.

Graham_A_M
10-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Damn, I have several atv trailers some with a tilting decks that would be perfect, but all three of them are at the farm currently. Same with all my trucks. Otherwise I'd be happy to pick it up and drop it off for you or lend you one of the trailers. The trailers all under 1000 pounds :(

Tik-Tok
10-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I'd rather carry it myself than use U-Haul.

I know you hate U-haul from your past experiences with them, but they really are the easiest way to get a trailer for the day.

Like spikerS said though, the Home Depot rental truck is easiest and cheapest way to go for whatever you need.

SKR
10-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Uhaul rents half ton and 3/4 ton trucks for like $20 and the ones I've seen look alright. Unless Ted Uhaul fucked your sister, just rent one from them.

ShermanEF9
10-31-2015, 11:33 PM
or rent from discount, enterprise, budget, etc. theres so many options. renting a trailer that works with your car is going to be near impossible.

Tik-Tok
10-31-2015, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Uhaul rents half ton and 3/4 ton trucks for like $20 and the ones I've seen look alright. Unless Ted Uhaul fucked your sister, just rent one from them.

$20 plus mileage, which accumulates quickly for going to the dump.

Graham_A_M
11-01-2015, 01:32 AM
Yeah, at $0.50/km it really adds up. For long haul truck rentals I'd recommend Shaw rentals & leasing.

Black Gts
11-01-2015, 02:51 AM
My last move I rented a penske 5ton willing to over pay to avoid uhaul, the dude wrote down 20k less miles on the sign out sheet lol. I got a few extra trips in and only paid for fuel, so lots of options outside of using your car, maybe you get lucky too.

Maxt
11-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Any Uber drivers with a pickup?
Or call Chariot express, it was around 60.00 for them to bring pipe across the city.

btimbit
11-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Pickup truck rental definitely your best option. I hate uhaul with a burning passion but there's plenty of others. Driving Force, Penske, Shaw, or even most regular rental places like Budget and Discount have trucks

nzwasp
11-03-2015, 01:21 PM
How does a tow bar mount even work on a velostar? the dual exhaust is right in the middle of the rear of the car.

Mar
11-03-2015, 05:10 PM
My girlfriend thought it would be a wonderful idea to borrow a truck from a friend an hour south of Calgary. It cost me $93 just to fill the tank on it. :facepalm: We got the mattress moved though.

Originally posted by nzwasp
How does a tow bar mount even work on a velostar? the dual exhaust is right in the middle of the rear of the car.

I have a Curt hitch receiver that bolts up under the car and hugs the bottom of the exhaust. My exhaust actually rattles against it at low idle, I need to get some stiffer exhaust hangers to stop that.

ExtraSlow
11-03-2015, 09:00 PM
That is still 50% cheaper than your first idea. Big win.

mr2mike
11-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Mar
My exhaust actually rattles against it at low idle, I need to get some stiffer exhaust hangers to stop that.

Jack vehicle up and stay bending the exhaust hangers so it clears properly.
Hitch shop should have done that.

carson blocks
11-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Mar
My girlfriend thought it would be a wonderful idea to borrow a truck from a friend an hour south of Calgary. It cost me $93 just to fill the tank on it. :facepalm: We got the mattress moved though.

Still not a bad deal for you. You get to daily drive a shitty little Hyundai and save gas every day while the person you borrowed the truck from had to make the big investment in the truck, and has to pay for the gas and maintenance every day, as well as the hassle of ungrateful friends borrowing it. You're still coming out financially ahead on that deal.

I stopped doing favors for coworkers and acquaintances with my truck because of shitty attitudes like that. Lend someone a $50-$75k truck to haul their shit and they bitch about how much fuel it uses. Or, coworkers offering a 'case of beer' to drive in to the city, pick some heavy shit up at one place, drive it to another, help them load and unload of course, and drive home. Let's see, $30 case of beer for 3+ hours of my time and 100km worth of mileage. Nope. Nowadays good friends use my truck anytime for free, everyone else can fuck off.

mr2mike
11-05-2015, 01:56 PM
A wise man once told me, never own a truck in your 20s.

G-ZUS
11-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Still not a bad deal for you. You get to daily drive a shitty little Hyundai and save gas every day while the person you borrowed the truck from had to make the big investment in the truck, and has to pay for the gas and maintenance every day, as well as the hassle of ungrateful friends borrowing it. You're still coming out financially ahead on that deal.

I stopped doing favors for coworkers and acquaintances with my truck because of shitty attitudes like that. Lend someone a $50-$75k truck to haul their shit and they bitch about how much fuel it uses. Or, coworkers offering a 'case of beer' to drive in to the city, pick some heavy shit up at one place, drive it to another, help them load and unload of course, and drive home. Let's see, $30 case of beer for 3+ hours of my time and 100km worth of mileage. Nope. Nowadays good friends use my truck anytime for free, everyone else can fuck off.

Yep, lent a friend a truck for 2 weeks. Gave it to him with a full tank of fuel, got it back empty and "your truck is heavy on gas". :english:

acedia
11-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by SKR
Unless Ted Uhaul fucked your sister, just rent one from them.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

It's been a long time I've actually laughed out loud from something I read online. Post of the day, man!

Mar
09-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Looks like this will work but now I have a new question. How do I hook up the electrical?

https://www.costco.ca/DK2-Single-Axle-Multi-utility-Trailer-with-Tilt-Capabilities-.product.100336473.html

firebane
09-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Looks like this will work but now I have a new question. How do I hook up the electrical?

https://www.costco.ca/DK2-Single-Axle-Multi-utility-Trailer-with-Tilt-Capabilities-.product.100336473.html

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2014_Hyundai_Veloster.htm

never
09-06-2017, 09:55 AM

If you still want a dump trailer, I'd recommend something with taller sides.

carson blocks
09-06-2017, 12:53 PM
With 100lbs tongue weight / 1000 total, and the trailer weighing 451lbs (assume 10% tongue weight, so 45lbs tongue) you don't have a lot of breathing room for whatever you're hauling. Technically/legally your cargo needs to be under 549lbs, and damn near perfectly centered on the axle as you only have 55lbs you can add on the tongue. If you have to haul anything more than a couple hefty girls that refuse to be seen in a Veloster, you might need to upgrade to a car for grown-ups. :rofl:

suntan
09-06-2017, 01:25 PM