PDA

View Full Version : How do I shut the water off to my house

SKR
10-28-2015, 02:32 AM
I work away from home sometimes and I was wondering about shutting the water off so I don't come home someday to a swimming pool in my basement. In my utility room I have a line with a meter on it, and a valve. I assume this must be the line coming into the house from the city. Can I just close that valve? I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't. I'd have to shut the humidifier off I guess. Anything else? I feel like this is a stupid question, but I'm a stupid person.

16hypen3sp
10-28-2015, 05:44 AM
Yes, you can close the valve.

Whenever we leave on vacation, we close the water supply. We also just shut off the hot water tank.

Maxx Mazda
10-28-2015, 05:49 AM
In fact, if memory serves, if you're away for more than 72 hours a lot of home instance companies will not cover water damage if the water wasn't shut off.

Cos
10-28-2015, 07:12 AM

schocker
10-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Do must water heaters have a vacation mode? I am guessing I can just close the breaker (electric), need to make sure my recycle pump is off also so it doesn't explode.

Cos
10-28-2015, 07:28 AM

schocker
10-28-2015, 07:32 AM
thanks cos, never thought to turn it off before and probably burning up $$$

SKR
10-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Cool thanks. I should do that next time I leave.

Zhariak
10-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Another thing to consider on extended stays away from home, make sure the toilette bowls are full, and it might be worth while running some water in all your sinks before you go, sometimes the water can evaporate in the U-Joint and if this happens sewage gases can come in to the house.

Make sure your furnace is working as well, don't want the pipes in the house to freeze.

Pacman
10-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Another thing to consider on extended stays away from home, make sure the toilette bowls are full, and it might be worth while running some water in all your sinks before you go, sometimes the water can evaporate in the U-Joint and if this happens sewage gases can come in to the house.

Make sure your furnace is working as well, don't want the pipes in the house to freeze.

Agreed. If you are gone for a long time and the sewer lines evaporate, you can get sewer flies in the house.

ExtraSlow
10-28-2015, 08:51 AM
That's a good point about the u-joint below sinks. I house-sit for a relative pretty regularly, and I make sure to run water in each sink, and flush every toilet at least once a week.

Shutting off the water is smart, but makes it harder on the house-sitter.

bspot
10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
If your shutoff hasn't been used in years you probably have a bigger chance of a leak there from shutting it off than just leaving everything as is.

SKR
10-28-2015, 03:10 PM
I really need to hire a house sitter.

C_Dave45
10-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

Yup. Good idea.
To give you an idea of how long. I have a shower drain in the house with a 1 1/2" P-trap. I have to pour a cup of water down there about every 3 months to fill it back up. You can tell immediately when the water has stopped sealing. The smell in the room comes up right away.

Tik-Tok
10-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by bspot
If your shutoff hasn't been used in years you probably have a bigger chance of a leak there from shutting it off than just leaving everything as is.

Last time I tried shutting mine off, the handle snapped, and it ended up leaking. I had to call the city, and they came and shutoff the water at the property line while I changed it.

blitz
10-28-2015, 04:18 PM
My water shut off valve is about 40 years old. I installed a brand new valve just downstream of the meter to use so I never have to fuck with the old one.

revelations
10-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Yea its a good idea to "use" the main, indoor house valve once a year or so.

The city came out to check our outside/city WV after our landscapers struck it (thanks for ATCO who failed to locate it) and they pushed it back in and tested it..... still worked!!