PDA

View Full Version : This is why we can't have nice things.

C_Dave45
11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
WTF??

We get our new super-mailboxes put in on Thursday.

Today: :whipped: :banghead:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/mailbox_zpsckl0vkqf.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/mailbox1_zpsgadsgxby.jpg

lilmira
11-02-2015, 06:00 PM
What happened? Too much junk mail?

guessboi
11-02-2015, 06:01 PM
wow - what is wrong with some people...and what is the point to vandalize mailboxes.
:guns:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Damn, somebody's mad about losing door delivery.

firebane
11-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Funny thing is... they are bringing door delivery back and stopping these boxes.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/10/26/canada-post-placing-community-mailboxes-despite-liberal-delivery-pledge.html

Tik-Tok
11-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Hahah, all you suckers will occaisionally, on the odd year, subsidize my door-to-door that never changed, with your taxes in the off chance Canada Post is in the red for a year.

beyond_ban
11-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Vandalism? Or someone trying to steal mail?

The_Penguin
11-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Probably a postal worker

Seth1968
11-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
Probably a postal worker

Either that, or grandma had to walk one block, get her new weekly subscription to Cat News, then saw that her submission was not included.

Well then, all canes broke loose.

In other words, if you can't walk a block to get your precious (useless) mail, then you're probably not alive given other extreme tasks as shoveling the snow, cutting the grass, etc.

Such community mailboxes make sense on so many levels. But of course, the bleeding hearts and self entitled will tell you otherwise.

finboy
11-02-2015, 08:53 PM
cant wait for them to pull them out of my area, fuck those boxes :banghead:

C_Dave45
11-02-2015, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by finboy
cant wait for them to pull them out of my area, fuck those boxes :banghead:
They're not taking them out. They're just not going further with more of them. At least for now.

All conversions planned for November and December 2015, and those announced for 2016, are now all on hold. Residents living in neighbourhoods that have already made the switch... will continue to use community mailboxes.

killramos
11-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Mines across the street from my house so i couldn't give a shit about them ether way. More secure than a mailbox so thats a plus for me.

jaeden
11-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Mines across the street from my house so i couldn't give a shit about them ether way. More secure than a mailbox so thats a plus for me.

Ya mine is right by my house, quick walk over after parking. Way better than box in my house. Get amazon stuff shipped all the time, no worries about someone walking away with my stuff before I get home. Plus I can toss the junk in my neighbours blue bin too!

C_Dave45
11-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Ours is literally 20 feet beside our driveway. While I'll miss being able to open the front door in my jammies and get the mail, having the ability to drop off mail at the same time is nice. We rarely get anything of any importance through mail now, so it's not a big thing.
I wish they would have a little flag they could raise to say when they've dropped off though, then I could just look out my window to see when to go.

Maxt
11-02-2015, 09:47 PM
I walked 2 blocks to get my mail for 13 years, and for the last 7 years have driven 6 km for it, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for people bitching about a couple of hundred feet to get their Canadian tire flyer and A&W coupon book.

FraserB
11-02-2015, 11:32 PM
The last piece of mail I actually opened was from Blood Services for my DNA typing. Otherwise, I have about 4 years of unopened account statements and LOC statements I need to eventually burn. Other than new registrations for guns, I have no real use for the mailbox anyway.

ZenOps
11-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I know exactly what happened. Some fatass wanted a selfie humping the top of the box, just like there is always a fatass wanting to hump any landmark that is put up.

Seth1968
11-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I know exactly what happened. Some fatass wanted a selfie humping the top of the box, just like there is always a fatass wanting to hump any landmark that is put up.

:rofl:

This even tops my most intoxicated posts.

Well done ZenOps.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Ours is literally 20 feet beside our driveway. While I'll miss being able to open the front door in my jammies and get the mail, having the ability to drop off mail at the same time is nice. We rarely get anything of any importance through mail now, so it's not a big thing.
I wish they would have a little flag they could raise to say when they've dropped off though, then I could just look out my window to see when to go.

Your wifi probably reaches there, just install a remote camera inside the box :D

ZenOps
11-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking, but with a twist.

Add a color code for each day like they do for loaves of bread.

Red M, Blue TU, Green W, White TH, Black F.

That way - I can tell from a distance whether or not its worth walking the last hundred feet or not (or for car people, worth stopping in to check)

Why haven't you poor souls who have had the boxes for decades not demanded something like this by now?

Sort of like this thingy:

http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Clean-Dirty-Dishwasher-Indicator/dp/B00004XSF9

But with the aforementioned day indicators, one in a visible window on any given day, and the others hidden.

Inzane
11-04-2015, 04:40 PM
I still laugh at the people whining about loss of door delivery.

My family's home in Fort Mac had super-boxes since 1983.

My current home which we built in 2007 in Beaumont has super-boxes since day one.

I actually thought it was weird when I had door-to-door during 2000-2007 when I was living in Edmonton (older neighborhood).

Don't worry. You people will find a way to survive. Trust me.

And, quit your bitching.

ExtraSlow
11-04-2015, 04:57 PM
I had super boxes back in the 1990's in Airdrie, was really weird when I moved to Calgary and had door-to-door.

Tik-Tok
11-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

And, quit your bitching.

I have a good reason to stop bitching... pretty boy PM halted the change-over and we haven't converted yet, so I get to enjoy door-to-door for a few more years :rofl:

frizzlefry
11-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Why not save money, not do the boxes, and only deliver mail twice a week? What with climate change and all I'm sure canada post will gladly assist in reducing emissions while delivering fliers.

speedog
11-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
I still laugh at the people whining about loss of door delivery.

My family's home in Fort Mac had super-boxes since 1983.

My current home which we built in 2007 in Beaumont has super-boxes since day one.

I actually thought it was weird when I had door-to-door during 2000-2007 when I was living in Edmonton (older neighborhood).

Don't worry. You people will find a way to survive. Trust me.

And, quit your bitching.
Fort Mac, Edmonton, Beaumont - yupp, super-boxes were no doubt a highlight in your daily routine.

Deetz
11-04-2015, 11:37 PM
My neighborhood was scheduled for the boxes to be installed Oct 2017, not sad to hear a hold was put on that. I wonder what the long term plan will be?

ercchry
11-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Funny thing is... they are bringing door delivery back and stopping these boxes.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/10/26/canada-post-placing-community-mailboxes-despite-liberal-delivery-pledge.html

yup, ONE day after ours went online... soooo pissed!

Inzane
11-05-2015, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Fort Mac, Edmonton, Beaumont - yupp, super-boxes were no doubt a highlight in your daily routine.

I have no idea what your point is.

My point is the concept is absolutely not new, it works, and what the fuck is the problem?

jwslam
11-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Why not save money, not do the boxes, and only deliver mail twice a week? What with climate change and all I'm sure canada post will gladly assist in reducing emissions while delivering fliers.
I could live with once a week, but I would bet that jacks up the price of any time-sensitive stuff significantly because the trip would be less efficient based on current operations. :dunno:

C_Dave45
11-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Aaanyways....seems this thread about vandalism has turned into a debate about the community mailboxes vs home delivery.

Just as well. The upshot to this whole thing was: No one vandalized them...when first installing them, the contractor dropped the box off the truck and damaged it. Put it in anyways, until a replacement unit could be had. They put that in the other day.

Guess I'm not too observant, although I did only pick up mail the one time and not notice it.

Couldn't care less one way or the other about the debate. Pros and cons to both.

jwslam
11-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Looool so we can't have nice things because they don't get delivered intact. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kloubek
11-05-2015, 01:39 PM
As nice as it would be to get door delivery, my house had superboxes from the get-go and it really isn't a big deal.

It is nice to have? Sure. Is it a 1st world problem? Absolutely.

askcleo
11-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Loser move

C_Dave45
11-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by askcleo
Loser move

Uhhh...thanks for your contribution. :confused:
Twice a year you pop in and THIS is it? Can't wait for next year! :nut:

askcleo
11-05-2015, 05:58 PM

Uhhh...thanks for your contribution. :confused:
Twice a year you pop in and THIS is it? Can't wait for next year! :nut:

we're on the same page. completely relevant to topic, Im agreeing only a moron would do something like that.

ZenOps
11-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Well, its not very economy of scale or first world to have to go to a communal delivery depot for a daily staple.

Whats next? Community water and toilets, one per block? Walk to the corner and hand pump your daily water?

Third world countries save tons of money not having to supply electricity and water to its citizens too :nut:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supermailboxes - As long as I don't have to use one myself.

Maxx Mazda
11-09-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm actually a fan of the communal boxes. No more going to the post office if I need to mail something, and when I receive a package if I'm not home for a day or two it's kept secure for me instead of left out on my front step. I don't live more than 3 houses away from my boxes, but it's an excuse to at the very least take the dog around the block and get the hell out of the house for 10 minutes.

If my 95 year old grandmother can walk close to a block each way, every day, to get her mail, what's your excuse?

spikerS
11-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry

OR...

Save even more money by having community postal distribution outlets. Walk into a building that is accessible 24/7, that is nothing but a bunch of boxes for the entire community. Have a small kiosk there that is open M-F from like 10-6 that can handle processing duties and distribution of larger parcels.

This has got to be way cheaper than sending out 15 contractors every business day into the community, install and maintain the super boxes, etc...

jwslam
11-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
OR...

Save even more money by having community postal distribution outlets. Walk into a building that is accessible 24/7, that is nothing but a bunch of boxes for the entire community. Have a small kiosk there that is open M-F from like 10-6 that can handle processing duties and distribution of larger parcels.

This has got to be way cheaper than sending out 15 contractors every business day into the community, install and maintain the super boxes, etc...
Building needs heat/elec/maintenance, rent/lease, probably security.
How would you expect Maxx's 95 year old grandma to walk there :nut:

spikerS
11-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Building needs heat/elec/maintenance, rent/lease, probably security.
How would you expect Maxx's 95 year old grandma to walk there :nut:

well, lets break this down using numbers i think are reasonable.

Super boxes scenario:
each super box probably costs $750-1000, lets say 800 each. The average community has say roughly 200 of them. that's $160k. lets also assume that it takes 4 employees to deliver to those boxes each business day, and takes them each 6 hours, and get paid $25/h (union job right?), and assume a 20 day work month. that's $144k a year. maintenance on those super boxes is probably another $300 a year for each box (graffiti cleaning, lock changes) so that's $60k. Add it all up for $364,000 a year. Lets put this at a cost for 5 years, $1.18 million.

with a community distribution point...
purchase cost of land and building lets say $600k. hire 2 staff to work 8 hour days in the outlet, $96k. building maintenance of $25k /year, a $5k video security system, and $600/month in utilities, and $12k in insurance, works out to $733200 or, $1.27 million over 5 years.

ok, so with my completely fabricated numbers, they actually seem pretty on par cost wise...but I can't help but think that the community distribution point would be more efficient.

ZenOps
11-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Removing services at a time when employment is suffering is questionable. If you had full employment everywhere its a much easier sell to try to increase efficiency.

As is now, there is a good chance that a fired postal employee will not find alternate work, but instead go on welfare. So not only do you have more grandma's huffing and puffing to get their mail, but you also have perfectly healthy postal employees collecting benefits.

I think Harper assumed that by now, we would have $200 a barrel oil and all the fired postal employees could be retrained as carbon workers.

Nope.

As is now, all we have are now fired postal employees making less money and spending less money and defaulting on their mortgages in their respective communities (and lets not kid ourselves, 110% of a postal workers salary is going back to the immediate community, unlike a company like Apple) Less work is being done by those most capable of doing it... Crazyness.

Nitro5
11-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Well, its not very economy of scale or first world to have to go to a communal delivery depot for a daily staple.

Whats next? Community water and toilets, one per block? Walk to the corner and hand pump your daily water?

Third world countries save tons of money not having to supply electricity and water to its citizens too :nut:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for supermailboxes - As long as I don't have to use one myself.

Last time I check on my utility bill I pay for the delivery of tge service to my home. Want home delivery for mail? Then pay for it.

Removing services at a time when employment is suffering is questionable. If you had full employment everywhere its a much easier sell to try to increase efficiency.

As is now, there is a good chance that a fired postal employee will not find alternate work, but instead go on welfare. So not only do you have more grandma's huffing and puffing to get their mail, but you also have perfectly healthy postal employees collecting benefits.

I think Harper assumed that by now, we would have $200 a barrel oil and all the fired postal employees could be retrained as carbon workers.

Nope.

If government employment is needed to keep people employed we're already too down the rabbit hole. Why not put everyone on the government roll?

codetrap
11-09-2015, 11:33 AM

masoncgy
11-09-2015, 12:10 PM
^ Me too, for the same reasons... and as mentioned, there's a place to dump outgoing mail as well.

rage2
11-09-2015, 12:35 PM
People still use the mail?

frizzlefry
11-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Nitro5

If government employment is needed to keep people employed we're already too down the rabbit hole. Why not put everyone on the government roll?

I think ZenOps has a point in terms of a stop-gap measure...clearly keeping the employees employed for years just for the sake of employing them is a bad idea but keeping them during a short term downturn does less damage than letting them go.

Also not sure how much of a drain they actually are as canada post does make some profit outside of simple mail delivery via express shipping etc. Would be interested to know how much of their operating costs that covers.

frizzlefry
11-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2
People still use the mail?

The liberals will for the Census. Need to keep Canada Post fully staffed for that as there is jail-time involved if you don't do it. :nut:

The_Penguin
11-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Just saw this on Reddit:

http://imgur.com/IvYJteu

Tik-Tok
11-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
Just saw this on Reddit:

http://imgur.com/IvYJteu

Man, those elderly really don't want to walk to the boxes. :rofl:

J.M.
11-16-2015, 02:15 PM