PDA

View Full Version : Block Plan

rated_R
11-05-2015, 01:18 PM
I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this in....

How would I go on obtaining a Block Plan for a home? I have the Real Property Report (RPR) however, the City requested that I also have a Block Plan which entails the adjacent neighbors' property lines and details.

Would I need a Surveying company to prepare the Block Plan or is this something I can draw onto my RPR and show my neighbor's property on there. Is there any online resources I can look at to get this drawn out?

I intend to apply for a Development Permit for my parents home, unfortunately they hired a contractor who built a separate entrance to their basement with a retaining wall, a few stairs and put a roof on top of the stairs without getting the proper city permits. I want to make sure they don't have any issues when they decide to sell their home.

Thanks in advance.

jwslam
11-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Pretty sure my lawyer had it when I purchased my home and should still have it. Where he got it, I don't know.

RawB8figure
11-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Yes the surveying company can provide Block Plan drawing.
I have had good experience with W Pang Surveys.

rated_R
11-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Pretty sure my lawyer had it when I purchased my home and should still have it. Where he got it, I don't know.

Thanks, I will call up the real estate lawyer that did the closing and see if they have a copy, it's been almost 9 years since they bought the house so hopefully they still have it in their records.

Originally posted by RawB8figure
Yes the surveying company can provide Block Plan drawing.
I have had good experience with W Pang Surveys.

It's funny you mention W Pang Surveys ...their stamp is on the RPR of the house - I will check with them if I don't have any luck with the lawyer

Thanks!

R154
11-10-2015, 04:51 PM
You can also go down to the city and go to the properties research desk. Give them your property address and they will let you look at all the documents submitted to the city. Then you photocopy the one you need. - It seems all very ass-backwards but often the documents the city ask for, they already have. Each city dept rarely share info.

When you walk up to the permits desk on the second floor, just turn right and walk to the very last counter.

There is basically never anyone there. You wont have to wait for long.

You can call 311 and ask for the property research desk and ask for an assessment before you go, they will tell you if there are any documents.

kkkat
11-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Wait, this can be done on our own? I was thinking that it has to be done by a land surveyor. I started asking for quotes and they are around $2000 so far which includes the site plans, block plans and streetscape drawings.

blairtruck
11-30-2015, 04:59 PM
is this for an infill? thats when we do block plans usually.
i did a a block plan today in Edmonton.
It involves getting the distance from the back you sidewalk to front of house of all houses on the street. also all trees, signs, curbs need to be shown. and then also the boulevard distance from your actual property corners to the back of walk. also elevations need to be taken on adjacent houses and your lot.
its easily half a day work for a surveyor plus drafting and such.

rated_R
12-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks everyone for their help.

*UPDATE:

- Lawyer did not have a copy of the Block Plan

- W Pang Surveys - the survey company that has their stamp on our home's RPR asked me to send them a detailed email describing exactly what I needed, I never followed up with them.

=========

So here is what I did, I went to the neighbors on both sides of the home and ask them if I can get a photocopy of their RPR, since my parents and I get along with both our neighbors they both agreed to give us a copy (I just took pictures of their RPRs on my phone and printed them)

I took all three RPRs (Neighbor on Left, Ours and Neighbor on Right) and put them together, scanned them to make it one single plan. I went to city hall and they accepted that for a Block Plan.

Before asking the neighbors, as I was having doubts if they'd be wiling to share their RPR with us, As per R154's suggestion (thanks!) I called 311 and asked if I would be able to get a copy of my neighbors' RPRs, the agent said that they would charge me $75 for each neighbor's RPR, I would need to come down to city hall and look at each RPR and draw from it, I cannot photocopy it or take a picture of it unless I have written authorization from the surveying company that did the RPR for that particular neighbor.

kkkat
12-12-2015, 10:44 AM
That is a very smart way of doing it.