PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a new PS4 + Movies Headset

EK69
11-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Hey guys,

Looking to pick up a wireless gaming headset to use on PS4 and while watching movies (netflix via ps4 or streaming via HTPC).

The cheaper the better obviously lol but I don't mind dropping some coin on a quality headset that I can use for many years to come. Top end limit would probably be around $200-250 or so?

Main use would be FPS gaming on PS4 so having 7.1 surround sound (virtual i'm guessing) would be nice, next major use would be watching TV Shows and Movies using netflix from PS4 or streaming from my HTPC. Listening to music wouldnt really matter much.

1) If I am going to stream from my HTPC that is hooked up to a home theatre receiver via HDMI, where would the headset hook into?

Any recommendations?

blairtruck
11-07-2015, 10:55 PM
i just picked up the Turtle beach elite 800 they were $299 and sound awesome. http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps4-headsets/turtle-beach-elite-800/551
the other option when going top of the line would be astro A50
http://www.astrogaming.com/a50-headset/A50-GEN2.html?dwvar_A50-GEN2_color=White

I picked the elite over the astro cause of boom mic. or lack there of in the elite. looks cleaner and can be worm outside the game room.

for hooking up you just need an optical cable out from receiver then that plugs into the box that controls the audio that comes with the headset. then headset connect Bluetooth to that box.

Kavy
11-08-2015, 01:10 AM
https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/accessories/audio/gold-wireless-stereo-headset/

7.1 audio
Wireless dongle that will work with PS4, PS3 and computers
Audio cable to work with regular plugs like receivers, mp3 players and phones
Custom sound fields for games or movies
$99-$149 bucks
Noise cancelling mic built into headset with no boom mic to get in the way
No complicated wiring systems

I use this headset and I'm more then impressed with it.

blairtruck
11-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/accessories/audio/gold-wireless-stereo-headset/

7.1 audio
Wireless dongle that will work with PS4, PS3 and computers
Audio cable to work with regular plugs like receivers, mp3 players and phones
Custom sound fields for games or movies
$99-$149 bucks
Noise cancelling mic built into headset with no boom mic to get in the way
No complicated wiring systems

I use this headset and I'm more then impressed with it.

this headset is stereo with simulated surround sound. IE. one speaker on each side. not a true surround sound. its Like having a sound bar instead of individual speakers in your theater room.
but for more then half the price. may not be even able to tell the difference.

EK69
11-08-2015, 08:23 PM
thanks for the help guys, i have a bunch of credit on gift cards from EBGAMES and they seem to have the Turtle beach elite 800, but not the astro A50

anyone wanna buy some EB games credit? 10% discount? lol
or i can buy something from EB games and give you a 10% discount, and you give me the cash in return?
:dunno:

I'm gonna research the main differences between those 2 for sure
any other recommendations would be appreciated

I don't mind spending the cash for something that will help me watch movies/play games and keep the wife happy by not making the house sound like a fuckin warzone lol

EK69
11-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck

this headset is stereo with simulated surround sound. IE. one speaker on each side. not a true surround sound. its Like having a sound bar instead of individual speakers in your theater room.
but for more then half the price. may not be even able to tell the difference.

from what i can see, the turtle beach elite 800 also have 1 speaker on each side? but somehow they simulate the 7.1 sound? hmm

How many hours of real world usage do you typically get out of them?
I know the specs say 10hrs lifetime but who knows if specs and real world usage are the same or not (usually not lol) :nut: